Reminder – Contra Costa County is a Fireworks-Free Zone

July 3, 2013 · 29 comments

fireworks

fireworks2

The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff would like to remind all county residents about fireworks during the 4th of July holiday.

The following information is from the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff:

Contra Costa County is a ‘fireworks-free zone’; the sale, possession or use of fireworks of all types and sizes (including Safe & Sane fireworks) are banned in the county (County ordinance 44-2.002). This includes the unincorporated areas as well as the cities.

Deputy Sheriffs and officers on patrol will confiscate all fireworks. Typical fireworks problems in the past have included aerial skyrockets of varying sizes, from bottle rockets to three inch mortar launched shells. Fireworks purchased in neighboring counties, other states, or over the internet are illegal to use or possess in Contra Costa County.

Offenders could also face up to $500 in fines. Possession of dangerous fireworks, like M-80’s or cherry bombs, constitute a felony and could result in fines of up to $5,000 and imprisonment.

Violators may either receive a citation in the case of a misdemeanor, or they could be booked at the jail for felony use or possession of fireworks.

1 noncexstanza July 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I don’t think it matters to some people…

2 Miss Diagnosis July 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I think they would do better at banning obnoxious drunken idiots first, that would basically take care of the fireworks thing.

3 Lorelei July 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This needs to be a FELONY, with stiff fines and public embarrassment! In this incredibly dry tinderbox we live in, it could cost many lives if a fire results!

4 Mr. John July 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This stuff is dangerous, folks, especially when it has been so dang hot out and everything is dried out. If you’re going to break the law and use them, please be careful.

I know many of us grew up with the fireworks, and consider them an essential part of the traditional 4th events, but we’re not living in the 70s anymore. When a kid in the 70s saw firewaorks, it wa sa spectacle you couldn’t see anywhere else. Now, kids see far more amazing things every time they turn on the TV. It isn’t special enough, anymore, to be worh tthe risks.

5 Shuley July 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Are they going to enforce this as comprehensively as they do the no outdoor marijuana statute?

6 Jill July 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yeah, if the police can find them! By the time you hear am M-80 go off, the people are long gone. I’m a sparkler gal myself.

7 Freedom ? July 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

When I was a kid, we responsibly used fireworks. So much for freedom…….

I guess the government knows whats best for me – NOT

8 lg July 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The safe and sane fireworks should be legal here like in alameda county.

9 anon July 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

What do you do if someone in your neighborhood does uses illegal fire works? I’ve tried calling cpd but fireworks dont stop….?

10 Subterfuge July 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I.e. a fun free zone.

11 Brian July 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

12 Aero July 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Every year we do safe and sane fireworks here…

13 PYRO1973 July 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

THIS IS WHY I GO DOWN TO KERN COUNTY FOR THE 4TH. CO CO COUNTY SUCKS FOR THE 4TH. IT WON’T STOP FOLKS THAT WANT TO BE PYROS FOR THE NIGHT.

14 Idiocracy July 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Cant Co Co County make a place for the public to light off fireworks by a man made lake/controlled area so we can make some revenue off of fireworks? A place that sells and counts what you have ? Lighting off fireworks is great and I understand we have hills covered with dry grass and weeds that will go up quick = im saying you light em off outside the fireworks park then you get a fine. Like I said my fantasy is you can only get the fireworks at the fireworks park and they count them.

15 Retired Cop July 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

“question: How can stores in CoCoCo (Concord) sells poppers and other types of fireworks? Baffles the mind…”

they are not fireworks& are legal

“The safe and sane fireworks should be legal here like in alameda county.”

say that after your home burns down or your kids hand gets blown off

16 Dragon July 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

a) So why do Safeway stores openly sell them?

b) Would someone please tell the idiots that set off fireworks (not just firecrackers, fireWORKS) in the street outside my house last year? So damn wrong. It almost makes me wish one of them would blow a finger off just so that the rest of ‘em might learn not to play with fire.

17 Broke in colony park July 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The police need to hang out around the four corners neighborhood. Folks have fireworks year round.

18 ChrisKap July 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM

One New Years Martinez was like Iraq on Shock and Awe. Unbelievable, I even heard automatic weapons being fired off. Not semi, machine gun fire.
Bottle rockets are extremely dangerous, can shoot right in dry grass and there you go, a fire. M-80’s blow off hands easy, and or kill. But the worst is when a lot go off at the same time. I think they should have zones ( which they kind of do and look the other way ) where safe and sain can, parents supervised ), BUT, even those can start a grass fire easy or hurt or kill. New years is ok though, as far as shooting off rockets, more so I should say, because no dry grass… But any fire work is dangerous. There is no safe and sane, even sparklers I have seen severally burn and can also blind, start fires etc… You can buy smoke bombs in liquor stores btw, and other stuff, I seen sparklers, I don’t think some store owners got the memo. lol

19 anonanonagain July 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Fireworks are part of the 4th of July, but there are so many idiots out there who don’t use them correctly or buy illegal ones on line that the Fire department will be overstressed. It doesn’t take much with all the dried out areas, for one stray firework to set of an inferno……..I’ll respect the ban.

20 Idiocracy July 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

felony? Are you kidding me? If you start a fire then ya, then you can get a felony depending on the severity! Geez # 3 … and #18 Iraq ? Really ? I was there in Martinez last year and the police had it under control worry wart…… even so its to celebrate our liberation so if you don’t like the 4th go move to Canada! I highly doubt anyone fired off an automatic gun in Martoothless maybe a couple rolls of 1000 black cats. Stop Nanny state thinking!

21 Idiocracy July 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Liberation , Independence, Freedom, No brits telling us how to live! Sort of like Political independents who don’t trust repubs or dumbocrats making countless useless laws = me….BTW if your house is in some sort of fire zone how bout you get off your lazy butt and make a fire line around your property ! PS Martinez has all the derelicts and youth corrections kids making firelines around the area

22 Draw the line July 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Tired of the scofflaws on your street setting off industrial strength fire works illegally?

Neighbors – get out your cameras and take stills and videos of the illegal fireworks going on near you. That way you can take them to the PD the next day and get some action taken. Also, if anyone gets hurt, you have a video record of the people involved.

23 dinkydau July 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

July 4, 1971 in Concord, a person named Dale Eddison was lighting fireworks or firecrackers in a can and it all went up at once. Blew part of his leg off and some fingers. He spent a long time recouperating.
The next day, he was supposed to fly down to San Diego to begin his career as a kicker for the San Diego Chargers……
Anyone in the area remember that incident or him after 42yrs?

24 @lg July 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I agree except that they are not technically legal in all of Alameda county either. Just a few cities allow them: Dublin, Newark, Fremont and maybe another I believe. Whatever the case, safe and sane are “state approved” (whatever that means) and they are relatively harmless if used responsibly and with common sense. They do not move about so they won’t jump into a dry bush. They are stationary with a small fountain of sparkles…. It is the illegal stuff (firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles,etc), home grown fireworks and m80’s and up that are the problem! If you at least let people use safe and sane maybe their pyro needs will be met and they won’t resort to worse things!

25 Theo Omordha July 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Banning Fireworks and spending the time and effort to police and prosecute these activities is a perfect example of the over reaching tentacles of government. These activities should be taxed heavily, with the revenue going to the agencies that need support. We do not need more laws like this.

26 Connie Dobbs July 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

#23, Clearly, Eddison was no Einstein.

27 anonomus July 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Yes because sparklers and snakes can blow your hands off and they SOOOOOO dangerous. You would think with howcin debt the state is tjey wpuld leggalize it to make some mony this time of uear and restrict it to next to water or vacant giant parking lots closed off for the couple hours during the,4th of july

28 anon July 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Haven’t seen one cop drive by, lots of ‘illegal’ fireworks…

29 fires July 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM