PHOTO: Alleged Child Molester & Current Elementary School Teacher on Halloween in 2012

July 3, 2013 0:15 am · 37 comments

joseph_martin

Well, this is ironic.

Pictured above is alleged child molester & current Woodside Elementary School teacher Joe Martin (the MDUSD refuses to respond to any questions regarding Martin and he’s still listed as a teacher on the school’s site, so we’re guessing he’s still employed and still getting paid by the MDUSD).

The picture was taken on Halloween in 2012.

The anonymous Claycordian who sent the photos says “it seems like he was gloating in front of the entire school”.

As we told you on Tuesday, Martin was charged with 91 counts of Lewd and Lascivious Acts on a Minor for allegedly molesting 12 students on the campus of Woodside Elementary in Concord. Martin’s bail has been set at $10,000,000, and he faces life in prison.

To read more about Martin, please click ON THIS LINK.

{ 37 comments }

1 Dog Meat July 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Can’t wait to read the comments on this post. Who will be the first to stick up for him saying it isn’t fair to post a picture like this?Come on all you bleeding hearts,don’t let me down!!

2 J. July 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Don’t drop the soap, Joe.

3 Greg July 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Innocent until proven guilty.

4 Gilbert July 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I guess this is the “talk” portion? Last I saw he hadn’t been convicted of anything. Not sure if that is news or talk calling him a child molestor?

@dogmeat – clearly you are one of the many anonymous posters on here that get off on conflict and being mean spirited.

How about we let the process play out. If he’s guilty, throw the book at him.

5 ThisisAmerica July 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM

@ Dog mEat, innocent until proven guilty is not defending someone, it is defending our rights.. A trial will happen, and justice ( hopefully ) will be served. Problem is, sometimes they are wrong. I am not speaking of this case at all, but over all, sometimes innocent are shown, tried and convicted in the media and public and are completely innocent. I would say innocent until proven guilty if it was DUI, or any crime, until the trial and verdict… Wait, wait until God forbid you are on the other side of this equation and innocent, and your name is plastered all over, and people judge you guilty form that, before a trial. It does happen you know, and lives are ruined. Innocent people. This in No way can be thought of as defending child molesters or any one, murders, only what our country stands for.. These crimes ruin lives, families, the worst of crimes, but does not IMO make it ok to drag someone through the mud before a fair trail. Is this still America? Sometimes I wonder…

6 Parent July 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM

He liked this costume, seen him in many times through the years at woodside. Guilty.

7 Schmee July 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Greg, only ignorant people say that when obviously there’s a pile of evidence. DAs are shrewd in these cases and strive to not make any mistakes on cases this large. They wait until they are sure without a doubt they can prove the case before even making an arrest

8 Disgusted July 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM

How is it possible for this guy to get away with this for so long? Not one child stepped forward before this? If so were they ignored? No one wanted to believe it could be true? So many posted comments about him being creepy yet no light bulb came on that said, “hey we better do something about this guy, we need to keep an eye on him” 91 counts? Where is the protection for our children in the schools? Someone of authority had to of had an idea something wasn’t right.

9 TT July 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM

So creepy. I remember being in elementary school wanting to be in his class because he acted liked a kid not a teacher. Glad I never had him!!

10 Mdusd teacher July 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Hi Mayor,
MDUSD will not be employing this man any longer. School websites remain stagnant throughout the summer (for obvious reasons) and since he was placed on administrative leave in April, his last pay would continue to his last day of employment, which contractually ends in June making his last pay date June 30.
As for what Mr. Martin has “done” (I assume all the allegations are true, however he has yet to be convicted), it sickens the community. We teachers feel betrayed by him. I worked with Joe many years ago, and although I though many of us thought he was “weird”, we believed he was harmless. I believe now (sadly, as I did before this broke out) that we teachers all are in our profession for a love of education and inspiring and motivating young minds — not for any other reason. Joe’s actions have tainted us, have public worried and concerned about us — and that saddens me. For any teacher like Joe, there are over 100 who are inspiring and trustworthy, who do our job as best as we can. We don’t stand behind Joe, but the students — all students, who we work with every day. I appreciate your sharing the facts in this case, Mayor, but I don’t appreciate the assumptions you have made about my employer continuing to employ such a monster. Teachers are, by definition, here to help and guide young impressionable minds. As disgraceful as Joe is to us and our profession, he is an absolute minority. Your comment that MDUSD would seemingly employ such a beast is discusting. Although our administration is far from perfect, that is just ridiculous. Carry on, Wolves, carry on.

11 Mom! July 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

91 counts. I just feel sick.

12 Cowellian July 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Greg@3 said

Innocent until proven guilty

That is not a true statement. If he did it, then he’s guilty. If he didn’t do it, then he’s innocent. It really is just that simple.

13 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Does anyone know what year he started at Woodside? Not just with the school district, but at Woodside?

14 ThisisAmerica July 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

@Cowellian But who decides that? You? The public? Media? A lynch mob? Or court. A judge. Jury? In American thankfully a jury does. Many a man was hung who was innocent without a trial. Oooops, sorry doesn’t cut it.

15 CLAYCORD.com July 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

@MDUSD Teacher, I have called and emailed the MDUSD twice, along with the Superintendent and the entire Board of Directors. (total of about 8 people), and not one of them has responded regarding his employment & other questions.

Mayor

16 ThisisAmerica July 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

and I would add if even 99 out of 100 are guilty as charges, so statistically and probably this guy guilty, there is one who is not guilty. When you are that one, and found innocent, wouldn’t it be nice if people waited to hang you until you were tried and convicted? I will give you an example. I was set up, framed, looked bad, but innocent. True story. Never arrested, had a detective on me calling BS and everything, questioned. What I wanted was those who framed me to be arrested which never happened. But the damage was done. In this case an arrest has been made, and most likely , statistically, he is guilty, but I wait. Then throw away the key if found guilty. End of.

17 Let's Go Oakland July 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

That’s actually not “ironic”, by definition of irony. This would be an example of coincidental observation.

18 Former Student July 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM

He was my fourth grade teacher when he first started teaching (’97). Many of my family members and friends had him as a teacher, as well. The allegations are truly shocking. He lived down the street from my parents. For people to say “they knew it,” is disgusting. If that was true, why didn’t you say something? For those of us who knew him, we didn’t know, obviously, we had no idea. We are all awaiting the trial to see what what light is shed on this horrible situation.

19 Rob July 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

At least he can provide his own prison outfit to save the taxpayers the cost of that…

20 Compassion July 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I’m saddened that a supposed MDUSD teacher has such difficulty with writing and spelling.

21 Sizzle July 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

So besides all the vilance, hate, and school threats, stuff like this is exactly why more and more people are doing home school. Might leave children a bit sheltered and miss out on social situations but this is just disgusting and ridiculous!!!

22 @This is America July 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

These people at best are trolls, at worst are the typical members of our community who are too bigoted, self righteous and over all ignorant to comprehend what you’re telling them. They usually can’t formulate a useful point on anything, with half of their self righteous and entitled blabber being recycled from a talking head or a bible.

I mean, you expect these people to seriously separate the man, the crime and his right to a fair trial? That’s mental gymnastics for them (you can’t even get half this lot to separate church from state). Just look at the first comment: people utilizing logic are being preemptively accused of being bleeding hearts. I have no doubt that in their head, explaining that the man has rights equals loving pedophiles.

These are people that socially lynched a guy for having red hand prints on his van, constantly talk about their Death Wish III fantasy of legally shooting someone in their home and constantly blame the homeless/minorities for their problems.

The Mayor runs a good site, but the comment section keeps reminding me how incredibly bitter, fascist, paranoid, fanatic, racist, ugly and well…dumb — most of my community is.

You’re really, really, really wasting your time on this bunch trying to re-explain “innocent until proven guilty”.

23 The Professor July 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Greg @3, TIA @5, Et Alia,

It is not innocent until proven guilty. It’s PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty. All that this means is that the prosecutor must prove guilt before any punishment is dished out.

Give him a fair trial where he can make his case before a jury. When he is found guilty (of this I have no doubt based upon the sheer number of charges) then he should be executed.

It is at this point where I differ from the law’s interpretation of “cruel and unusual” punishment. To me, child molesters deserve a punishment that is as horrible as their crime. Death by toenail clippers! SNIP, SNIP.

24 Sister Carlene July 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

MDUSD teacher cannot even spell disgusting? That is not a typo. Who is really teaching your children?

25 anon July 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I’m just wondering how long MDUSD legally has the obligation to keep Mr. Martin on the payroll, because at this point he is presumed innocent, and thus, provide certain protection under the umbrella of employment.

Mr. Mayor, can you help on this?

Also, he is a member of a teacher’s union…do they foot the bill for an attorney to represent him. That’s going to be expensive!

Any light you can shine on these questions would be appreciated!

26 anon July 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I know there was an investigation years ago, so all involved in that, should lose their jobs and be forbidden to work in any regard where children are involved because no one reported to the proper authorities as deemed by law! That means credentialed staff, whether teachers or administrators, office management, clerical staff, nurses, teacher assistants, all district level employees involved, such as assistant superintendents, including the former school district attorney should lose his license to practice law.

27 ThisisAmerica July 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM

That is probably not a true teacher, or if it is, some cannot spell. I knew a teacher in 1990 who sold coke and worse, and she won teacher of the year while I worked as a custodian….. So I knew the teachers, and trust me, they as a whole were not model citizens. And this was in Concord…

28 CLAYCORD.com July 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

@Anon, I’m not sure, but Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots player who was arrested this week for murder, has already been let go by his team, and he is also a member of a union. I guess it all depends on what kind of deal they have in place.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Mayor

29 lg July 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Looks like he knew what coming down the pike! Trial run!!!

30 Nuts July 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

“Here’s your foot-long!” He looks just like the escaped convict in “Pee Wee Herman’s Big Adventure.”

31 Jessixa July 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Come on, is this really news? #1: The website means nothing– IT people in school systems could care less about updating their website. #2
Disappointed that Claycord chose to foster yet another tomato-throwing contest at an INNOCENT MAN. Shame on you for using irony to convict even before he has been tried.

32 Cowellian July 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

WOW! Even child molesters get groupies around here.

33 keith July 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

all of u who say innocent until proven guilty. why don’t u let him still be the teacher for ur kids, or are u afraid. if u are afraid then u are not practicing the innocent until proven guilty thing

34 anon July 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

REPLY TO GREG, # 3: GUILTY AS ACCUSED

35 Shiloh July 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

@this is America, you keep talking about waiting to “hang” him until he’s been found guilty. Guess what? Airing opinions about someone’s guilt or innocence is not an ACTUAL hanging — Joe Martin will survive the talk by the peanut gallery.
And, please, EVERYONE, refer to The Professor’s comment (#23). American citizens are allowed to assume that someone is guilty of the crime they’ve been accused of. The GOVERNMENT is not allowed to punish them for that crime unless its been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

36 Don't Censor Me Bro July 5, 2013 at 5:05 AM

#22 — Project much?

BTW, thanks for YOUR in-kind contribution…

37 badmedia July 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I find it interesting that he was brought down the first year we had a new Principal. Makes me wonder if Mrs Batesol knew but wouldn’t deal with it.

Also, anyone who has a child in the district would know that many of the teachers use very poor grammar and incorrect spelling frequently. Only the ones that expect perfection from their students really bother me any more. Had to get used to all the poorly written things coming home.