MDUSD Issues Statement on the Arrest of Woodside Teacher & Alleged Molester Joe Martin

July 3, 2013 · 15 comments

The following statement regarding the arrest of Woodside Elementary School teacher Joe Martin is from Mt. Diablo Unified School District Interim Superintendent John Bernard:

The Mt. Diablo Unified School District is saddened and disturbed by the recent arrest of a teacher at Woodside Elementary School in Concord.

Our staff has been working with the Concord Police Department since this was brought to our attention in late April 2013. The teacher in question was removed immediately and has not returned to the campus.

We strongly encourage anyone with information about this investigation to contact the Concord Police Department.

As Claycord.com first reported, Martin was arrested last Thursday and is facing 91 charges of Lewd and Lascivious Acts against 12 of his current & former students.

RELATED STORIES:

1 roxie t July 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

this breaks my heart. How do we make sure these reports dont go ignored? I believe that whoever swept this under the rug last time needs to be fired and possibly arrested!

2 Rebel July 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Of course they failed to comment on questions the Mayor asked about their prior knowledge of his ongoing molestation of school children.

3 MDUSD Grad July 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

This is all it would have taken to placate many of those who have been criticizing the district.

They’ve known since April, this should have been sent out the day the arrest was made official and became public knowledge. Now it may be too little, too late for some.

4 Pro Choice....Gun owner July 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

“While we cannot comment on the on-going investigation, our prayers and supportive thoughts are with the victims and their families.”
Are they allowed to use “our prayers” in a public statement?

Shame on the district for not catching this “butt pirate” earlier!

5 Mediatrialshelpthedefendant July 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I agree , cover ups allow it to continue.. However, innocent until proven guilty. Trust me, if ( and looks bad, or good I should say ) that this guy is on the fast track to life in prison, with what I have seen, we still are innocent until proven guilty. Too much of this and there will be a change in venue, and more stress on families and victims, and also a better chance he will walk. Reserve your guilty verdict and execution of justice for after the trial please. And being tried in the media helps the accused in court. Look at OJ.

6 anonanonagain July 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Pedophiles are good at what they do. Sneaky, conniving and good at covering their tracks. Intimidating their poor vulnerable victims and convincing them to not say anything. The children then blame themselves. Horrible. Peds also can fool the public into believing that they are amazing with children. I guess we never want to believe that it is a trusted teacher, uncle, neighbor who has committed the worst acts possible against our children. Pedophiles deserve no sympathy in my book. He deserves the harshest punishment possible…….

7 Cassandra July 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Watch out for anyone who pays “too much attention” to young children, especially a man. It’s a SERIOUS RED FLAG! Wake up parents, teachers, etc.!

8 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Why can’t I get an answer to this question?

9 Old Woodside Parent and Student July 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I believe his first year at Woodside was ’95. My daughter was a 4th grader but did not have him as a teacher.

10 Find an answer July 4, 2013 at 4:37 AM

@ Typical If he did it, and appears he did, there is enough evidence no doubt to convict, and also the courts now make it much better on young victims, I am so glad that has changed.. But by the off chance, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000… chance he is innocent, then that to will free him. Good luck though. But everyone deserves a trial, because believe it or not, there is a percent, even when it looks very very bad , who are indeed innocent of all charges. I like our system to catch most of those mistakes, and also convict most of those guilty, but the system is not perfect by any means..
I think besides seeing that justice is served in this case, we look at who is abusing children most. It is not homeless in bushes or the boogie man, it is teachers, parents, the ones closest to them, and usually that is not a one time thing, the abuse continues, for years sometimes. We need to wake up to who is committing these horrible crimes most, sadly number ones statistically is their own parent. Which is hardest to catch or even notice in most cases, which to me is the scariest thing. What can be done? The pain caused to these victims is unbelievable, taken through adult life… So many live with this pain and it can destroy a life completely, making them even bad people. I think it is the number one problem in our society and one reason we have so many screwed up adults. But read who is most likely to abuse, it goes form parent, to step, to grandparent, uncle, teacher, coach, priest, dentists, down the list to last homeless and strangers….. Just for the fact who is around them most etc…Who gravitates towards those roles or occupations….

11 Polygraph new teachers July 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Due to the heinous nature of sex crimes against children, think it is time that new teachers get polygraphed for indications of pedophilia. Would help weed out the deviants, and in the long run, save school districts $$$ due to sex abuse lawsuits. Law enforcement candidates are polygraphed for their jobs, why not aspiring teachers who are entrusted with our most precious people, our children

12 Brian Lawrence July 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

There are several posts on this subject since it is of great interest to the community, so forgive me for repeating my comment in multiple threads.

In order to let the legal process play out properly, I can’t comment on the specifics of the case. Superintendent Bernard put out a statement on June 29th that conveys the District’s position. Unfortunately that message did not reach Claycord for several days. I’ll work to see that we do better with that communication in the future.

There have been several questions directed towards me in a couple of the threads. As much as I enjoy Claycord, I don’t read every comment on every blog and will miss things. You can email me at brian@briantlawrence.com or call me at 925-526-5354. I am legally unable to comment on personnel issues, but will do my best to answer other issues.

Like you, I’m horrified and heart-broken whenever I hear allegations of child abuse by a teacher.

Brian Lawrence
MDUSD Board Member

13 @Brian Lawrence July 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Mr. Lawrence,

Is the current superintendent the father of a former Woodside principal? Will he resign due to a conflict of interest in this matter? Was the board aware of accusations against Martin when it hired the current superintendent. If so, why was he hired despite the obvious conflict of interest? Who is providing legal advice to the district in this matter after the board fired attorney Greg Rolen?

14 Mika July 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Don’t save the polygraphing for just new teachers, I’m sure there are some tenured old lechers hiding out there, too. Male and female.

15 Anon2 July 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Is there a court date tomorrow for Mr. Martin? Do you know what will take place in court?