CONCORD: Alleged Child Molesting Teacher Enters Plea During Wednesday Morning Arraignment

July 3, 2013 13:53 pm · 30 comments

Joe Martin, the alleged child molesting teacher from Woodside Elementary School in Concord entered a plea of “not guilty” during his arraignment in a Contra Costa County courtroom on Wednesday morning, according to Deputy District Attorney Derek Butts.

Martin is being charged with 91 felonies for allegedly molesting a dozen students at the Concord Elementary School.

Late Tuesday afternoon, a criminal complaint was filed against Joe Martin alleging 89 felony charges of Lewd and Lascivious Acts on a Minor under 14 years and two felony charges of Lewd and Lascivious Acts on a Minor age 14-15 years, with an enhancement charging that the defendant committed these acts against more than one minor child.

Martin faces life in prison if convicted of all the charges.

His bail has been set at $10,000,000.

RELATED STORIES:

1 Pleasant Jenny July 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Please please please stop showing his picture. We all know what he looks like. I want to continue following this story for obvious reasons but I don’t want to have to see his face anymore.

2 Pleasant Jenny July 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

3 Mr Martins student July 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I’m still praying none of what they are saying about him is true ! I have faith in him. I truly hope that it isn’t because I would be having a different picture in my mind about him now ! For what I know back when I had him in 2001 he never ever ever touched anyone ! I have many pictures with this teacher and when he would take pictures he would hardly even want to put his hands on our shoulders… That’s why it’s so hard for me to believe in this .. People should have their minds a little more open and not just say anything before they know anything . If all this isn’t true everyone just ruined his whole teaching career . But if it is then :/ i don’t know … I would be left speechless :(

4 Woodside Teacher July 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNTAoF6l8Y Mr. Martin said you can be in his movie.. who wants to join him? p.s is he wearing that same shirt.. haha

5 wondering July 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Does anyone know the other schools he taught at?

6 Hubby was a student July 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Last night we saw his mugshot run across the news and my husband says, “Wait! No way! Mr. Martin was my 4th grade teacher.” I said “oh really? Was he weird? did you ever get weird vibes from him?” My husband says “No he was the coolest teacher. We made a movie all year”

Disturbing…if the allegations are true I’m sitting here wondering what was done with video footage of his little 4th grade students…even more disturbing my husband goes “yeah I was a pig in the movie” OKAY…hope this isn’t all true but we are living in a sick sick world so I would not be surprised.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families if the allegations are in fact valid..

7 MissT July 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Wow all of this is really hard to believe , my family lived across the street from Woodside. My son who is now 23 also had Mr Martin in fourth grade, He was a very caring teacher with a big heart. I’ve never heard anyone complain about him. My son says Mr Martin was one of his favorite teachers and he had so much fun in his class. So really where is all of this coming from? Did he turn into a sick man over the years or what?

8 Mr Martins student July 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

@Miss T
I’m wondering the same thing I cannot believe it.. I don’t think that he would have a bad heart after he was well loved by his students !! :(

9 Yhe Phantom July 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

THERE ARE MORE UNIDENTIFIED VICTIMS…FIND THEM!

He is probably not the only abuser. Other children may be watching to see how this turns out. We have to look harder…Duggard.

There are more unidentified victims, young victims who may feel they are responsible for what happened to them. They may feel ashamed. They may be considering suicide. They are at risk.

At a retired teacher I want them to know that they are not responsible for what happened to them. Adults betrayed the law and betrayed their oath to behave well with children. No kid could stop him…there was no choice…even if they think there was.

They must be gathered for comforting and re-assurance that they are safe from harm, even if the school district is not really ready to communicate – until they have more evidence, and have consulted with their attorneys, and have designated an appropriate spokesperson, acting for the appropriate management representative.

Kids reacted to cyber-bullying in unpredictable ways…they must be helped before they do something dangerous.

10 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

If I can vote…..show his face. Show his face as often as you can.

11 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

If some people are getting tired of seeing his face. Well. That’s just too bad.

12 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

@pleasant Jenny.. His face needs to be seen by everyone. Some people may not have seen earlier stories. I am sorry if this disturbs you, but his face needs to continuously be shown.

13 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Dear Mayor,

Please put the photo back up.. People need to see who he is. Some people may not “stop and look” if they don’t see and recognize his face. Please.

14 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Please.

15 Pleasant Jenny July 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

“What year did he start at Woodside?”
How about a compromise for some of us that are sickened knowing our children were in his care – that some of us requested it as well – and whatever purpose you think showing the picture over and over when it’s not like he is going to be out on the streets any time soon to be recognized…Perhaps the Mayor could put a link that says “If you’d like to see a picture of Mr. Martin click here”.

16 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

So I guess that means “no” .

17 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Pleasant Jenny .. Sometimes we need to think beyond our own needs and see a bigger picture.

18 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Ok fine. Go put your head in the sand.

19 What year did he start at Woodside? July 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Why did you take his photo down? Because Jenny wished it so? Seriously, there are bigger things at risk then Jenny’s hurt feelings.

20 Dear Mayor July 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Would you mind letting us know what your thoughts were when you decided to take down Mr. Martin’s photo? Are you being threatened in any way?

21 kimchee July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

A abuser/molester doesn’t victimize EVERY child, just the ones he believes he can without getting told on / caught. Just because YOU were not molested doesn’t mean your best friend wasn’t.

22 CLAYCORD.com July 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

@Dear Mayor, I try not to post it on every story. I already posted it twice today, so I thought it might be nice to have at least one story without his picture.

23 Thank you July 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Thank you for your work, mayor. I may not agree with you on getting the photo out there are much as possible, but I do appreciate all your work. You are doing a wonderful job informing us Woodside parents who would otherwise be in the dark about all of this.

you

24 ChampagneKitty July 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

to: What year did he start at Woodside?

Leave Pleasant Jenny alone. She and her family have been personally affected by this and she is a Claycord regular. If you want to look at his face, go to one of the other related threads. There have been quite a few. I’m sure Jenny is not alone about her feelings. I wouldn’t want to look at his face either if I were in her shoes.

25 CLAYCORD.com July 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

@Thank you, thank you for the kind words. :)

Mayor

26 @Champagnekitty July 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Seriously? JENNY has been personally effected? What is she? Your BFF? That’s really sweet. Maybe you could get a heart and realize that other families are also being affected.

27 Pleasant Jenny July 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Again, thank you Mayor for taking down the picture of his smug face for all of the parents who are suffering. Thank you Champagnekitty for your support.

28 Neighbor July 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Mr Martin taught at Holbrook Elementary in Concord in the early 90s. I had a friend in his class and yes, they spent a good chunk making a movie called Mrs. Hagshead (and I totally still have a copy on VHS somewhere..).

29 Brian Lawrence July 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

There are several posts on this subject since it is of great interest to the community, so forgive me for repeating my comment in multiple threads.

In order to let the legal process play out properly, I can’t comment on the specifics of the case. Superintendent Bernard put out a statement on June 29th that conveys the District’s position. Unfortunately that message did not reach Claycord for several days. I’ll work to see that we do better with that communication in the future.

There have been several questions directed towards me in a couple of the threads. As much as I enjoy Claycord, I don’t read every comment on every blog and will miss things. You can email me at brian@briantlawrence.com or call me at 925-526-5354. I am legally unable to comment on personnel issues, but will do my best to answer other issues.

Like you, I’m horrified and heart-broken whenever I hear allegations of child abuse by a teacher.

Brian Lawrence
MDUSD Board Member

30 Anon July 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Piccolo!

I miss your mugshots here, bring them back! LOL

What’s it like being a child molester in the joint?