The Claycord Online Museum – Opening Day at Concord BART in 1972

July 2, 2013 14:00 pm · 16 comments

bart1

bart2

Since we’re talking about BART so much this week, we thought we’d feature some photos from when BART was actually running.

These photos show the opening of Concord BART in 1972.

The top one shows Concord City Councilman (and current Mayor in 2013) Dan Helix, standing beside Reporter Steve Davis from Channel 7 News.

The bottom photo shows the opening day parade.

Both photos are courtesy of our friend “Radar”.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 16 comments }

1 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Status update: BART SUCKS, still.

It’s not exactly clear when it began sucking. I’d say probably around the time that the hideous 2-story tall macramé art thing-a-magig in the Embarcadero Station became a giant dust bunny.

2 Mr. Pink July 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Ha! the giant macrame thingy. Is that still there??

3 Ellie July 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

So Em, I am to assume you don’t mind the strike and are not inconvenienced by it one bit

4 2BITS July 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Mr. Channel 7 sure doesn’t look very happy.

5 Craig Cannon July 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I wonder if Radar did the Walnut Creek One, also? My Parents Took me to that Opening when I was a Kid. It’d be nice to think I Indirectly bumped into him there. I was in a Newspaper Looking at the “State of the Art” New Train. Back then we didn’t have all these current issues, and the Opening of BART was Exciting. Even the Station Agents Smiled, Train Operators were Frendly, and Appreciated their Important Role in Progress. I’ll stop here.

6 JW July 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I remember that news anchor from when I was a little kid. We had this little TV that you had to adjust the rabbit ears on. That brought back some memories. I remember how the news cast looked on TV. This guy Pete Gidding had these big glasses and I think that his weather chart folded down. I wish that I could travel back in time and watch the 70′s from an adult perspective. I also remember the pictures that they showed in the corner of the screen when they were reporting. What are those drawings called? Anyone? You know, when they talk about an arrest or something similar, they show a picture of handcuffs. They report on a BART strike, they show a picture of a goober with a sign. Etc.

7 Anon2you July 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ah, the ‘olden’ days…Gotta love the Councilman’s jacket…and Steve Davis looks like he dropped a wet fart in his trousers…

8 Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Is Dan Helix grinning because all his union cronies got in?

9 CatWoman July 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

are you sure this wasn’t 1973? I really think it was 1973.

10 nytemuvr July 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

@CatWoman #9
You may be right as I was in the marching band in ’72 at Concord High and don’t remember going to this. We did go a lot of places but definitely don’t remember being there.

11 Shasta Daisy July 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Radar lives on thrrough his photos.
I learned a lot from Radar and not just about photography.

Great shots my friend.

12 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Ellie -

LOL. I just love how at this time last year the SEIU was protesting in the streets over “the 1%” and this year demands a king’s ransome in a down economy by holding the working public hostage.

Unlike SEIU members, I earned my living the honest way. I don’t rely on their “services” and can’t stand their lying lazy hypocrisy.

13 Atticus Thraxx July 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Dan is styling and profiling! Can almost smell the Hai Karate thru the picture.

14 Alfred Stansbury July 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Anybody else think it’s odd that a guy in power in Concord in ’72 or ’73 is still in power 40, count ‘em 40, years later? Is the city really that far behind the times, or desperate for talent? I don’t know anything about the man, but I’d think if he was any good he’d have gone to bigger things…
@Em Dubya: got any evidence or justification for your hate speech? Why would you say such things?

15 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

LOL! Hate speech.

Ummm…..here you go. Pay their “fair share”….like a little bit to a Cadillac healthcare and retirement plan???!

As far as my own lot in life, yeah, I’m pretty sure I am an authority on the subject.

16 nytemuvr July 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

@Alfred Stansbury #14
You’re right about him being behind the times. I went to high school with his son and left Concord almost 15 years ago. When I starting reading this blog about a year ago, I was blown away he’s still in city politics.