BART Says No Service is Likely Wednesday

July 2, 2013 19:50 pm · 36 comments

BART announced tonight that a strike that has paralyzed the Bay Area commute for two days now will likely continue Wednesday.

The transit agency has received “no indication” that two striking unions will return to work Wednesday morning and there will likely be no BART service.

BART also announced that it will continue to run charter bus service from select BART stations to San Francisco.

The stations are West Oakland, El Cerrito Del Norte, Walnut Creek, Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont stations. It is recommended to arrive early as the buses fill up quickly, according to BART.

Negotiators from BART, Service Employees International Union Local 1021 and Amalgamated Transit Union 1555 reentered negotiations this evening for the first time since the strike began.

The renewed talks came at the request of California Labor Secretary Marty Morgenstern and with the assistance of two state mediators.

The strike, which began Monday morning, stems from disputes over issues including wages, health benefits, pension plans and safety.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

1 Elwood July 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

The overcompensated underworked strikers just want to be loved.

2 Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Morgenstern is the guy that lead the NY teachers strike. Meanwhile back on planet earth Mark Desaulnier is wringing his hands and refusing to ask the union to go back to work.

3 Dorothy July 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

You do notice that of all the so called issues the strike has been called for that the one called safety is last and least.

4 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM

The longer those dopes stand around picketing in the sweltering heat the better.

Status check:

BART SUCKS, still.

Union slobs…wondering if that hard choice between food and quarterly time share maintenance dues will have to be made. :-(

5 JLew July 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Lame……SO GLAD I don’t rely on BART & my commute is short…..

6 DJ July 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I say fire em all! Plenty of folks looking for jobs!

7 Daryn July 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Tentative agreement reached!

8 @Daryn July 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

There are 3 different Unions. Did all 3 of them come to a tentative agreement, or still just the one from earlier this evening?

9 Dr. Jellyfinger July 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Bet my buddies I could beat the commute. I thought if I started from the observation deck at the summit of Mt. Diablo, diving off in my wingsuit, I could easily soar into San Francisco. The rate of descent was much more severe than I anticipated. As luck would have it, somebody was just walking out of Evie’s at Encina Grande when I sailed thru the open door & slammed into the counter. I’m OK. I’ve also discovered a great little place to grab a quick burger or sandwich (good fries too).

10 Em Dubya July 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Jellyfinger –

Evie’s is good medicine. Did the healthcare worker who salved your wounds with beef and fries charge you time-and-a-half? They should have, it was uncommon valor to hand you fries and a burger.

Status update:

12:35 am – BART SUCKS, and another hot sunny day to picket while texting home to figure out the next boat payment.

11 TRUTHINESS July 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

While watching the news today I saw an interview with Josie Mooney, the SEIU union negotiator for Bart, and she made this comment, “… but to live in the Bay Area for a family it’s actually the minimum wage, that people say, according to the government, is $74,000.00. So these people [Bart employees] are not well off.” Her statement sounded comical so we decided to Google her and verify her statement. According to our research Josie Mooney,and the union she works for, has a bad reputation and her statement about income is misleading. According to the United States Department of Justice, for the period of April 1st through April 30th 2013, the state median family income by family size for one earner (which to me equates to one employee) is: $48,415, and $75,656 for a family of four. Last time I checked most families have two working parents, not just one. This is especially true if you only have a GED or high school diploma, which is the requirement for Bart Operators and Ticket Agents. So not only are her numbers grossly inaccurate, but she is taking the state median, meaning average, salary and quoting it as a minimum salary to survive. What continually bothers me about this strike is Bart employees are currently making more than a fair wage for a single earner. This is not an issue of jealousy, it’s an issue of sustainability. Bart workers and Bart management don’t need a raise. ALL Bart employees make too much money, period. As a taxpayers, we are footing the bill for their outrageous salaries and expensive Bart fares; that is why people are making their voices heard. It’s not jealousy… it’s common sense. Now to add insult to injury they are punishing us, the taxpayers and their employers, because they want an even more outrageously inflated salary. The unions and the news have been quick to compare salaries for Bart employees to other major city transit workers. I am curious to know how Bart fare compares to these same cities.

12 huey9k July 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

13 BART police question July 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Are BART police officers still working?

14 Z-Man July 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Let them strike. it is their right. No, we would not want BART run by the talent pool from Co Co Co. (Especially the Internet Trolls)

I don’t know why more people are just driving in at 4 am, like I have been for years. Cruise control and $4 toll is comparable in ticket prices.

$74k, I don’t think I even make that as my Base pay, but, it isn’t like it is a lot of money.

If you have better ideas, don’t rely on the employment pool, go out there and become your own boss. Find something you excel in, and be an entrepreneur.

Or save your cash (like I did), and use it to purchase into a Franchise (rather than buying a condo, like I did).

I guess some of you all think the nurses that save your life are greedy bastards as well, and when they strike, you are ok with it, because the scabs cross the picket lines to keep you alive anyway.

15 local 3 member July 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM

I say fire those jerks. They have no skills at all. Try to operate a heavy piece of equipment you sorry excuse for operators. All you do is push a stop and go button and open the door ,,,, big woopie. You are overpaid as it is, get your lazy a**es back to work

16 Winston July 3, 2013 at 6:26 AM

It has been too long. It’s time to hire replacement workers @$15/hour and use part of the savings to lower fares.

17 Cody Blackwell July 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM

BART Workers,

You should be able to plainly see that the sympathy of the general public is not on the side of the union.

Don’t make the mistake of feeling you are indispensible. The reality is that you learned the job; so it’s clear that someone else can learn the job too.

Next it should also be obvious that there are thousands of people who would love to have your job.

Low public support + not indispensible + high unemployment doesn’t add up to a favorable outcome.

I want the BART union to keep up the strike and make it as painful as possible for everyone. Yes, the current situation hurts. But we have to stop this idiocy somewhere. If we don’t stop here; the situation will just be worse and more complex later.

18 Mr. John July 3, 2013 at 7:02 AM

We pay more than other transit services elsewhere in the nation, after adjustment for local cost of living, The workers, after similar adjustment, have had and would – even under BART’s initial offer – a highler level of compensation than most people performing jobs elsewhere in the nation. And, when I see BART employees sitting around chatting day after day rather than finding ways to be productive and make the BART system nicer, I have no sympathy. Even if it meant shutting BART down for months to do so, I’d support a decision to release all BART employees and start anew.

19 Mark July 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Why does BART have to remain union?

20 CRS July 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I’ve been unemployed for 2 years and actively searching for a job. More than happy to go to work tomorrow. I’m sure many of us would be happy to take their place.

21 Sofa King July 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM

As has been mentioned in other threads on Claycord, the solution (for the inevitable future BART labor strikes to come) is to pass legislation that makes transit strikes illegal. This has been done in many other U.S. cities where mass transit is critical.

22 @TRUTHINESS July 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Welcome to politics. Pick and choose the facts you want people to see.

23 CW July 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM

According to the CA Employment Development Dept. stats, the median wage in Alameda County for “Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations” is $53,269 and the median wage for “Transportation Occupations” is $34,070. If BART employees make significantly more than that (and all the figures I’ve seen thrown around have been quite a bit higher), then they are indeed overpaid.

24 @sofa king July 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

You need binding arbitration to go with that so you don’t have unilateral decisions being make on things other that money.

25 Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Some say we should make BART strikes illegal. This would require leadership from people like DeSaulnier. Don’t hold your breath. He is pure union shill.

26 @crs July 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM

And you’re not qualified to work at BART?

27 @winston July 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Why not free rides? After all you’re paying taxes already.

28 Connie Dobbs July 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM

#15 That reminds me of a joke:
Q: What’s the average height of an OE?
A: No one knows; we’ve never seen one standing.

29 Horse'n Around July 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

If they want a raise and more benefits, does this mean that it will cost more to ride BART? Because BART hasn’t been running for a few days now, wont they want to make up for all that money lost?

30 Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

SF Chromicle: No leadership from Desaulnier.

31 Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I (unwisely) voted for Mark Desaulnier. He has a solution for everything , except this strike. He doesn’t call for BART to go back to work , only to go back to bargaining.

Take a stand Mark. If you support the strikers: say so. If you support the public, call on the strikers to go back to work.

32 Winston July 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

@27
BART’s ticket revenue covers about 70% of the cost of operating BART. If BART were to replace it’s train operators and ticket agents with ones making a straight $15/hour with benefits paid for by the workers they would save about $180 million of their $380 million labor budget. This savings would be enough to cover most of the sales taxes BART receives. At this point you have 2 options, either spend $180 million per year on capital improvements (that’s enough to buy 90 railcars or extend BART by about 2 miles EACH YEAR) or reduce fares or cut the sales tax. I’d like to see some combination of increased capital spending and lower fares, but I think most people would like lower fares.

33 Regular guy July 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

While unions have their place in the private sector, it’s not clear to me that they’re needed in government or quasi-government organizations. In any case, government employees shouldn’t be allowed to strike. I thought the purpose of government was to serve the citizens. However, it seems some “civil servants” have it backwards.

34 Elwood July 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Feel the love!

I wonder if DeSaulnier can feel it?

35 funny guy July 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

i have a GED and $15/hr would be a raise… where do i sign up to be a scab?
i can push a button with the best of em!!!

36 NOT HAPPY July 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Is anyone interested putting a referendum on the ballot so they can’t strike again? Otherwise, 4 years from now, you’ll go through this again. While I support unions, I don’t support hurting poor working people who are paying for this with outrageous parking fees, impossible commute options and stress beyond belief. If I could think of something to do to Bart management, I would support that as well. I think BOTH sides are at fault, but it’s the commuters who are paying the price!