BART Negotiations to Resume Tonight

July 2, 2013 16:42 pm · 42 comments

BART labor talks will resume this evening, BART management announced this afternoon.

“The district has been notified by state mediators that negotiations will resume at 6 p.m. tonight,” BART spokesman Rick Rice said in a statement. “After one full day of no meetings, we are eager to get back to the table,” he said.

The talks will take place at the Caltrans building on Grand Avenue in Oakland, Rice said.

The announcement comes on the second day of a strike by BART workers represented by Service Employees International Union Local 1021 and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555.

Earlier today, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, state Controller John Chiang and Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones sent a letter to BART management and union leaders calling on them to start talking again.

“We are acutely aware of the widespread personal hardship and severe economic disruption caused even by a short interruption in BART service,” the state officials wrote.

They said they were disappointed with the progress in the days leading up to the strike.

“Given the massive dislocation a protracted strike will cause, you owe the people of the Bay Area your time, your concentration and your best good-faith effort at reaching a bargained agreement,” they said. “It is our collective opinion that so far, you have fallen short.”

Negotiations were halted after union representatives left the table on Sunday, hours before their contracts expired at midnight, Rice said.

SEIU Local 1021 spokeswoman Leah Berlanga and ATU Local 1555 President Antonette Bryant said this morning that leaders of the two unions were meeting with each other. Bryant said workers were hopeful talks will resume soon.

“We want to get back to the table,” she said. The strike, which began Monday morning, stems from disputes over issues including wages, health benefits, pension plans and safety.

Rice said management has offered to double salary increases from 4 percent over four years to 8 percent over the same period. He said management has also lowered the amount it was initially asking workers to contribute to pension and health care plans.

Rice said Saturday that the unions had come down from demanding a 23 percent salary increase to a 21 percent increase over a three-year period. “We had some conversation Sunday night, but we’ve not been able to have a real conversation about our response and our proposal,” Rice said. Bryant said the workers are asking for a 4.5 percent wage increase annually for three consecutive years. The unions have agreed to contribute half a percent more to their pension each year, she said.

She said union workers’ pension funds are 92 percent funded by BART, but that BART does not contribute to social security. She said workers contribute $92 a month toward medical benefits.

Rice said the average annual compensation for workers represented by the two unions, including base salary, benefits and overtime, is about $134,000.

Bryant, a station agent herself, said the average salary of workers in her union is about $60,000 a year.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

1 Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Let’s watch our elected leaders like DeSaulnier to see if they come out for the public or stay firmly in the camp of the union.

2 justice July 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

ff is rude as hell anyways! I say hire new workers!

3 Anon July 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

@anonymous #1

DeSaulnier will create an oversight agency to review the decisions of the contract negotiations, and propose an additional parcel tax to support the creating of the audit agency to oversee the oversight agency.

4 JustSof July 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I pay $250/month to go to SF from CoCo and make $17/hr. I will scab up as soon as I hear the call. I’m all for Labor, but I’m for eating and living inside first.

5 Send an email to bart July 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I just sent an email to BART suggesting they get rid of the lazy, spoiled, ungrateful union thugs and to hire returning Veterans.

Veterans will be happy to fill the jobs.

No skill required, good pay, and great benefits.

I bet you wont here the Vets crying and whining for more money that they are worth.

The jobs will be filled over night with no problem.

6 Gus July 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I hope not I’m making a killing selling “Buck fART” t shirts.

7 Triple Canopy July 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Git back to work ya lazy bastages!

DeSaulnier? He’s YOUR elected “leader”… leading from behind like that spineless and arrogant idiot in the White House.

8 BigHouse July 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Anybody else alarmed at how much these guys are getting paid? These wage increases are very high also. I agree with justice.

9 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Lock BART down and let the union slobs ask for handouts at the union hall after 6 months of no income. Suddenly the heroics required to sit in glass booths or pushing buttons might seem like a privilege.

Based on years of dealing with members of backward unions like SEIU, these “downtrodden” workers probably have payments to make on the essentials in life like boats, RV’s, time shares, etc. These clowns get real cooperative after the repo man comes to say hello.

10 Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I loved the poster that figured Desaulnier would think of another bureaucracy to solve a non existent problem financed by us. Of course he could call on the union to go back to work but that would be too much to expect from an empty suit.

Stuck in traffic tomorrow? Drop him a call and ask him to call for a return to work by the union.

11 @anon#3 July 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Funny! But true!

12 ctown July 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

@Send an email to bart

No skill required,good pay,great benefits.

So are you saying that Veterans have no skills. You should probably just shut your pie hole. And who are you to say what people are worth. You have no idea. If these workers feel they are not receiving proper compensation for their work, let them try to get more. They are just trying to make a better life for their families.

13 Apply for BART jobs July 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

This is where you can sign up for their easy money jobs after they get the Boot.

14 Elwood July 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Feel the love!

15 Draw the line July 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Give the strikers 24 hours to return to work.

Fire anyone that fails to return – job abandonment

The contract is EXPIRED. BART Management has no legal or ethical obligation to negotiate with these union thugs.

80% of the strikers will run back to work with their tails between their legs.

The other 20% can be replaced immediately with a new two-tier wage and benefit schedule that brings costs back to reality.

16 Dorothy July 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Don’t believe any talking done tonight will do any good tomorrow.

I like the idea of firing the union and hiring Vets. The unions didn’t go to war with anyone but the public that pays their $$$. Maybe some of the retired top brass could fill in for the management too.

17 tom July 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

ALL BUS, RAIL, FERRY, SHUTTLES AND OTHER
SHOULD GO ON STRIKE TO TEST THE SYSTEM.

BIKE OR WALK TO WORK.

18 ClayDen July 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

@Draw the line

Exactly, except it would be more than 80%, and they should give them a 20% pay cut as part of the deal.

19 One Union Tentaive agreement July 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

BART’s AFSCME union just reached a tentative deal (the smaller union)

AFSCME are the “200 members who serve as supervisorial and professional staff”

20 3% of them appreciate how good they have it. July 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I stand with the 3% that did not want to strike. It sounds like they appreciate what they have.

The other 97% don’t realize how easily they can be replaced.

21 Julio-Antioch July 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Supervisorial staff has a union? Ridiculous. These unions are way out of control. WAYYYY out of control. I was a supervisor most of my working life and no way was there a union and their shouldn’t be.

22 chubby July 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

@ 3 I hear you. I make a couple bucks more an hour than you do, but I think we’re in the same boat. BART workers probably work half as hard and make twice as much as I do. They only picketers I support are the janitors and maids that work their butts off and make half of what I make, in the private sector. How can I possibly support public sector employees whose pay dwarfs mine, and I’m the one paying it?! That’s ridiculous and offensive. The board should offer drastic pay CUTS, until fares can be reduced so the people paying the wages can afford the fares.

@ 12 ctown … in defense of hiring veterans with “no skills”:

1st, we are coming out of a couple of wars and we have thousands of vets whom we as a nation have an obligation to help out.

2nd, “no skills”? maybe irrelevant skills. One of my menial labor coworkers is a helicopter mechanic. I’ve worked with guys who ran nuclear subs. Why do you think so many vets go in for police and fire? I’m thinking because they are fiercely dedicated and know how to perform in a highly regulated and top-down environment, and they can learn a new job. There’s no shame in coming out of the military and having highly specialized, exotic skills that aren’t sought after in the job market. Veterans have long been given preferential ranking for public jobs. I agree with this. That’s what I call “supporting the troops”. I think giving these high paying, low skill jobs to returning soldiers is a great idea.

23 ClayDen July 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM

@tom 17

You win the prize…………for the dumbest idea of the day.

24 Gus July 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Ctown if you had any reading comprehension skills you would know that wasn’t what he meant. Notice I made it a big C for a big c%#t. Get back to your occupy tent.

25 Not out of the commute woods just yet... July 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Two more larger Unions to go….about 2400 employees. Including the always so helpful customer service oriented Station Agents. Um…

26 Anonogod July 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Kinda surprises me that people are making less than middle class living in SF..

You have people that instead of fighting to get more for themselves are more concerned with badgering those that are fighting for what they have.

Yet if you ask those people that say “well I don’t have that” , and you ask them what the management at their job makes, they either don’t know or they’re not concerned. I have had some people tell me what business they work for, and find their CEO or Top Brass are making, sometimes in excess of $1,000,000. And I have to say “really”? And you’re worried about people in the bay area that make $61,000 before taxes and their company does not pay into Social Security, as most people have.

I have had people say, “I don’t have/get health insurance”, and you should ask yourself, “Why not?” It used to be common before Wall Street cared more about the wealthy getting wealthier.. Yet again, we’re worried about people that make less than, lets say $100,000. Then they talk about overtime, overtime is working more than 8 hours a day, not all workers get it (some can’t), some of the higher ups have forced overtime, distorting the majority that make $61,000. I have read that you have newer Operators and Agents in San Francisco that make the same as an entry Administrative Assistant ( A Secretary) in San Francisco. I even checked with people I know and also you can find this on Salary.com. *shrug* Yet management at BART pays even people that don’t work there anymore, almost million dollars of our TAXPAYER money. *Facepalm* but that’s OK! Some workers hide their compensation in Bonuses, Incentives, and Perks that never see the light.. As a Taxpayer I AM UPSET.. I say workers Fight, all that comes from it is education on how the Non-union and white collar in businesses abuse the workers.. I remember management at Hostess trying to blame the workers, but the truth came out, yet the workers still lost their job, and the managers all had “Contracts” that robbed the company.

Again, why are the working class of America called “Union Slobs”, when this country was built by and runs “Union Slobs” It’s the only thing that gives the working class some sort of voice from the White Collar Wall Street types that have run away with your money, and laughing at you working for as little as they possibly could pay, in a At Will workplace.

27 Buck fART t-shirts July 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Hahahahaha, LOVE it Gus #6!

Where can I get one? :)

28 SEIU is bringing bad attention to all unions July 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I belong to a private union in the construction trades. I pay $28 per hr into my health and welfare, Public unions pay nothing.
They must not realize how good they have it, they get paid very well for such a low skill job.
When I see their picket lines with a bunch of overweight loud annoying fools banging on drums and yelling UNFAIR this unfair that I am kind of embarrassed for them.
But more than just being annoying, they are making All unions look bad.

They should be grateful for what they have and quit asking for these outrageous demands.

29 Fart Bucket Jr July 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

FIRE THEM ALL! A RETARDED MONKEY COULD DO HALF THEIR JOBS AND WORK FOR PEANUTS!

30 blondie1022 July 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Get back to work u dont see others not working cause they wantmore money and most places dont even get benefits anymore and maybe they should weigh the pros and cons I say if they want more money take away their free bart fare for them and their entire family

31 anon July 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM

400,000 riders being screw over by your strike = 400,000 voters that are going to vote against unions if you keep this crap up.

32 Damn liars July 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Bart lies through their damn teeth. Employees pay 100% of their retirement funds. And pay more than $92/mo for benefits. And the salaries list I keep seeing is hysterical. I wish my bf really made $80,000+ a year. Lucky if he even makes $60,000 a year. And that’s before taxes, union dues, medical, and retirement.

33 bluebird July 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

And here I thought it was just me who had a hard time with a station agent recently. He was so arogant and rude to everyone who needed help in the 5 minutes I was there needing help to add money to my ticket. No way would I support anyone who is allowed to treat paying customers like that.

Funny how things work out; last time we supported the union workers because we all wanted better benefits from our employers. Now, we want employers and we are willing to pay for our benefits.

34 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Fart Bucket Jr –

Well played sir. Only the potent kung fu of a union grievance man (disguising himself as a member of the management cabal) could produce such witticism.

Reminds me of when I snuck into the HQ of a union and nearly wet myself watching what looked like The Three Stooges’ interpretation of what paradise must be like. I literally had a cigar stuffed in my shirt pocket as I walked in the door. LOL! Priceless!

35 Em Dubya July 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

ANONOGOD –

You have consumed the cool aid of have v. have-not class warfare. In America, the true story is earn v. earn-not. Andrew Carnegie and the lasez faire capitalists of the early Industrial Age are long gone in this country. Fair labor practices are law, thanks in part to early unions. But with most (not all) unions, like asbestos, the social utility is now outweighed by the cancerous effects.

If you don’t like your lot in life, improve yourself. Earn your betterment by furthering your education, creating a new solution to an unmet need, and hell yes, move to a job where you can wear a white shirt. Or….muck around in the mud, whine, and blame others. Earn or earn-not. It’s up to you.

36 Elwood July 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Wow, the love for the union just gets deeper and more intense!

37 concord Hater #1 July 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

lazy bastards…INDEED!!!

these trolls need to get back to work and stop pretending they are professional sports athletes…nobody really cares about their BS 25% pay increase they are pissing about. These union chumps were offered a pretty good deal…8% pay increase + better pension benefits, etc. wake up bart heffers…most people working do not get half of your benefits!!!

and now these idiots are in the same boat as everyone else – not being able to get anywhere..LOSERS.

38 Cracky McGee July 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Plenty of people out of work right now who would feel BLESSED to get the $60k/year job let alone a deal consisting of an 8% wage increase & lowered benefit contributions …. What GREEDY pigs!

39 Pissed Off Doc July 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Fire them all, and hire a completely new crew. BART needs an enema.

40 Idiocracy July 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

FIRE THEM ! You could hire a new staff in 12 hours if you announced it on channel 2 news with a job application email link .. Bam problem solved! Immigration issue? This is easy, set up Proximity mines on the border 1 mile by the 700 plus on the border! State is in debt ? Legalize weed/cut government in half/cut government spending by 30%/ cut WELFARE/ Cut crappy teachers for not molding better students! Establish voter ID system to verify Citizenship and make that ID system law for Renting or owning land or vehicles bam. Oh yeah one last thing 49 other states let you put Long tube headers on your car! Cali will not because of these hippy spare the air nazitards! change that crap Nazi law Now – plus that alone would make the state millions off the shops taxing me and the THOUSANDS of car enthusiasts being bullied by Dumbocratic stupid politicians that are so out of touch with society its amazing they keep getting re elected (handout scum vote them in) while nothing changes except gas prices and stuff cost more and I get less for my money!

41 Primus July 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I finally figured out what happened to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson over the last five years, they are Bart Union reps.

42 NOT HAPPY July 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Is anyone interested putting a referendum on the ballot so they can’t strike again? Otherwise, 4 years from now, you’ll go through this again. While I support unions, I don’t support hurting poor working people who are paying for this with outrageous parking fees, impossible commute options and stress beyond belief. If I could think of something to do to Bart management, I would support that as well. I think BOTH sides are at fault, but it’s the commuters who are paying the price!