PICTURES: U-Haul Truck Gets Stuck Under Sunvalley Mall Overpass

June 30, 2013 11:58 am · 36 comments

truck_stuck

truck_stuck2

Robert in Concord sent us these pictures of a U-Haul truck that was stuck under the Sunvalley Mall bridge from the parking garage to Macy’s.

Here’s what Robert had to say about the incident….

The last time I submitted something for Claycord.com, I had found a box truck trying to fit its way under the bridge at the Sunvalley Mall.

Well, as luck would have it, I happen to be walking out of the Macy’s and caught it again!

I guess the CLEARANCE 8′ doesn’t quite stand out as much as needed as this seems to be a yearly photo.

Oops. Hope they have insurance!

Thanks to Robert in Concord for the pictures!

1 Laura Zah June 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

How many times has this happened now? Guess they gotta flatten the tires and back it out.

2 Lol June 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Wow!!! Duh can we say MORONS

3 anon June 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Common sense, you either have it or you don’t.

4 KenInConcord June 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Like the truck says

–Adventure in moving®—

5 Ancient Mariner June 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The problem with this bridge is that it is thicker along the middle than at the edges. The driver looks at the edge of the bridge and knows that he can fit under OK, but then he gets stuck under the middle section, where the underside of the bridge drops down another foot.
It would help to add a rail along the underside of the edge of the bridge. The rail would be at the height of the lowest part of the bridge. It would let the driver know he can’t fit under. Of course, if the driver isn’t paying attention in the first place, then there’s no helping him.

6 GoGo Gomez June 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Dee Da Dee!

7 mtzman June 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

It happened to my parents many years ago. The air conditioning unit on top of their RV got knocked off.

8 chef June 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I used to manage a Uhaul. Let me tell you that this is one thing the optional insurance does NOT cover. Any damage done to the top of the truck is considered negligence and the renter will owe about 2-5 thousand dollars out of pocket lol.

This is such a common occurence at uhaul, so much infact that we repeat this disclaimer about 5 times to the customer.

9 Cowellian June 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Navigation by Braille!

10 Susan Wood June 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM

That’s GREAT!! Why are some people so stupid?

11 Big Al June 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Big red DUH. The truck has clearance stickers all over it. DUH. Look up now and then. The mall is always at fault. That low overhanging overpass has got to go. Watch out here comes an airplane.

12 Anon June 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I guess better there than the drive through @ In N out 😉

13 Hoboike June 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

A truck driver long time ago…they need to let air out of all 4 tires and refill on the other side. I can’t see the pics but that is how lots of guys handled it.

14 Teacher wannabe June 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Simple: compare the sign posted on ALL bridges with the sticker on the dashboard of ALL rental trucks. No brainer.

15 down and out June 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM

@Chef #9:

Uhhhh…I used a work at U-Haul too and became a district manager. Insurance absolutely covers this. I don’t know where you got your information, because it is wrong.

16 Boom Boom June 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Driver should know better, glad it’s not my problem

17 Triple Canopy June 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Unstick it by letting the air out of the tires… most don’t think of doing that.

18 Dorothy June 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

How many u-haul drivers know how tall the truck they are driving really is? There is a bit longer way around that doesn’t go under any overpass.

19 Mr. Pink June 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

D’oh!!

20 J. June 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Eight-feet is pretty low clearance. I can reach up and palm eight-feet on my tippy toes.

21 Blame it on the heat....105 degrees.... June 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

…..applying the appropriate coefficients of expansion would probably reveal that the clearance had been reduced due to upward expansion of the roadway, downward expansion of the bridge, and multi-directional expansion of the truck and its tires.

22 Big Al June 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Wow… All the experienced truck driver’s have the same fix to this problem. Wow… oops i mean, ddduuuhhh.

23 Big Al June 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Oh well. At least all the truck drivers are all on the same page.

24 Sar Casm June 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Doesn’t U-Haul label the truck with the clearance measurement? Not sure if they do. I’ve driven vehicles like that and can recall when looking at my driver’s side view mirror, I’ve seen the clearance labeled on the vehicle, just behind the cab. Labeled backwards so you can read it in the mirror.

25 Dr. Jellyfinger June 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Give me a gallon of KY Jelly & I can get anything unstuck.

26 chef June 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

@ down n out

When did you work there? We never covered damage to moms attic. I have had several customers that we have charged for such damage.

27 Duh June 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM

too funny all the parking spaces in the mall they chose to go this way UGH…

28 attitude June 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM

How do you know that he isn’t delivering that bridge?

29 Slugga June 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This is the type of weather when you’d rather hit a hydrant.

30 Clayton Squirrel June 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This happened to a volunteer band parent driver of a rented truck vs. school solar panels. Truck company insurance specifically did not cover damage to the top of the box. Not sure of the final resolution.

31 Killjoy June 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I used to drive a 22′ Bobtail truck in San Francisco for a courier company.
I was always well aware of my surroundings. But we are talking about someone who did this on a daily basis, vs someone who needed a truck to pick up a new bed from the mall (or something like that) who doesn’t think about those things.

Bummer ’bout the truck.

32 PM CLAYTON June 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Either get rid of the bridge completely or build a new one.

33 Local June 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Darby!

34 Captain Kangaroo July 1, 2013 at 4:44 AM

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned letting the air out of the tires.

35 Mac July 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Would be super funny, if it was the same person that did it both times.

36 Paul (formerly) in South Concord July 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I remember a story from decades ago where this happened in a very narrow underpass, on the main drag of a small Oregon town. (Except with a big rig). Anyway, here’s the driver, emergency personnel, highway dept engineers, tow truck guys, etc… standing around scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do. A seven year old boy walks up, looks at the truck, looks up at the bridge, looks back at the truck and says… “why don’t you just let the air out of the tires?” At which point the proverbial light bulb went on, with all these experienced adults… HA!

It worked and there was only minor damage to the bridge and the truck. Good thing about the bridge aspect, was they didn’t have to close the road long, while it was inspected and repaired.