PIC: Claycordians Rescue Baby Bird in Todos Santos Plaza

June 30, 2013 11:50 am · 33 comments

heron

This baby bird was rescued after it fell from its nest in Todos Santos Plaza on Saturday afternoon.

We caught this baby Green Heron in downtown Concord right by Todos Santos and Peet’s Coffee. This one apparently feel from its nest (possibly ready to leave the nest) and was running in the street narrowly being missed by cars. We took this one to the Lindsey Wildlife Museum because we did not know where mom was and were pretty sure it was going to get hit by a car.

Cute little bird. Thanks for rescuing it!

1 anonymous June 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I don’t see these very often, every once in a while at Heather Farm. I didn’t know I should be going to downtown Concord.

2 Dr. Jellyfinger June 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I can think of about 50 fun comments for this photo but I’m afraid all would be deleted.

Oh well, nice save!

3 funny guy June 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

i thought the dodo was extinct!

4 msf. June 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Nice to see this on such a wonderful day!

5 Mindy June 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thank you for doing the right thing and taking it to Lindsey… and for taking the time to save the baby!

6 Not always a good idea June 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I once “rescued” a baby bird. It was in a park on the ground, looking so pathetic. I took it to the Lindsey Museum & they made me take it back. They said the bird was ok & that the mother was probably nearby. I thought any random cat would be able to kill the baby before the mother could do anything about it, but I took it back to the same spot, never seeing the mother bird at all.

In this case, with the bird in traffic, I’m sure they did the right thing. Just saying, according to the Lindsey Museum, it’s not always the best idea to remove a bird from its surroundings.

7 Blah June 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

It’s adorably ugly! haha!

8 Sunrize June 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I’ve never seen a baby Heron, thanks for the picture! Glad to see there are people out there that care for our wild life! Hopefully the Lindsey Museum can nurse this little guy to heath, and set it free! We are lucky to have such a wonderful organization in our area!

9 lg June 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Aww, thats sweet! He`ll be in good hands at the Lindsay museum!

10 smc626 June 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We have a Green Heron nest with babies (3 or 4) right now at Ellis Lake! The same couple raised four babies in a nest last year. It was much lower in the same tree, making it easier to watch all the goings on. Last night I was able to see the babies out of the nest for the first time. Green herons are beautiful birds, but the chicks, well, you know what they say about “a face only a mother could love…” 🙂

THANK YOU to the rescuers!

11 rah June 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Good job!

12 ChrisKap June 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I read the article, damn cell phone is a b to type on. This is a tough call. I was just talking to someone about nature, and how the week in nature are taken out, leaving the strong to breed, and in the ling run, cruel as it is to see, it benefits the specie. When humans get involved, they always make it worse. No matter how good their intentions. This bird fell out of the nest. Or was it push out? Birds do that to week babies sometimes. It is cruel, but the way it is. To save these birds is doing a disservice to the species, and nature. We throw off the whole balance of nature anytime we try to do good imo. Unless it is an endangered specie, maybe. Even that, some animals go extinct. Human cause, yes try to save it form happening. nature, no. By saving the week or injured we are doing a great disservice to them. When we think we are doing good, we are doing the opposite. In nature, a predator will usually get the slowest, weakest, sickest, oldest animal and eat it. Hunters go for the strongest, best, biggest , healthiest… Also very bad for nature. So we should be careful what we do. As I said, imo this was a trough call. But I do have issues with trying to save animals so much, even though I cannot handle seeing an animal suffer, humans included. But are we really doing good? We think we are. But we are not in most cases…..The opposite is true.

13 T-Rex June 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The mother is probably freaking out right now wondering where its child is.

14 CLAYCORD.com June 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM

So are you saying the person who rescued the bird did a disservice to the bird? I don’t think the bird would agree. I say good job to the rescuers.

15 smc626 June 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Mr. Mayor – if the rescuers would like to see the nest at Ellis Lake, with the babies hoping around in the tree, they can contact me via email. In a week or so, they will be down at the edge of the lake practicing their fishing skills!

16 dot June 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM

We need more good people like you in this world, three cheers for people who rescue an animal in such need, BRAVO!

17 smc626 June 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It’s true, if a baby bird has just fledged (left the nest naturally, practicing flight) that the parents will continue to feed it while it is in lower bushes, and it will be able to fly on its own in a day or two. Lindsey will tell you to return it to where you found it. However, this Green Heron baby is still a nestling, not fully feathered, and it would not have been able to survive on its own. Plus, it’s not in the perfect habitat (first-time parents?) as there is no lakeside or stream below the nest where the baby could hide in the bushes. Rescuers did the right thing – HOORAY!

18 Strange for herons at Todos Santos June 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

There’s no water nearby; no lake or creek.

19 Anon June 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

#12, Would that be this Week or next Week?

20 J. June 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Be wary of taking injured birds to Lindsey Museum. If they’re the wrong breed Lindsey will kill them. Wring their necks on the spot. If they fill out a blue-card for your bird, it’s toast.

Turns out Lindsey won’t rehab any non-native birds. A Green Heron should be OK, but other breeds are on their kill-list. Just a heads up before you race over there with a non-native bird.

21 Big Al June 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

See what happens when you sneak out for a smoke in concord! You end up at a wildlife museum as a orphan.

22 Mad Mom June 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Great job rescuers! I love a good story on a hot day. I feel better already. Thanks for sharing Mayor 🙂

23 smc626 June 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Re: Lindsay Museum and non-native species – same with other animals, like red-eared slider turtles, or any species labeled a “nuisance.” I can understand why it’s necessary to keep non-native species out of the ecosystem, but if you get emotionally involved with a young, sick or injured animal, you hope to see it survive.

24 smc626 June 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

@19 – if you were asking me about Ellis Lake and the green herons, either this week or next, or both.

25 ChrisKap June 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

@ 19, Don’t give up your day job if you think your a comedian. However, nature is cruel, and as I said, many times humans think they are doing a good thing trying to help and in fact are doing the opposite……A bird falls from a nest? If it is still ok it might jump back up. Touch it, you put a smell on it, the parents may abandon it…. Some guy was even trying to catch ducks jumping from their nest back east. What??????? Well, been doing it millions of years, I don’t think they need our help. What they need is for us to get out of the way….

26 ChrisKap June 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Look, take photo’s but never touch wildlife, mess with it in any way, unless you are going to eat it, is my motto….

27 Bob Brittain June 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM

It was correct to take the green heron chick to the Lindsay. I, too, have been told to return a fledgling to its original area and did so. However, given the dangerous traffic nearby, I think it was best to let Lindsay personnel make the decision. I helped to rescue a baby hummer from Shadelands when I worked there. The mom was trapped inside a building and died. We caught the baby in a fire sprinkler nest and it lived and did well after treatment at the Lindsay. At our house, an oak titmouse fledgling banged into our bedroom window and was unconcous when I took it to the Lindsay. They brought it back to health and even released it in our yard during a rainstorm so that it was reunited with its siblings. A fine organization.

28 Schmee June 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It would be cool if Claycord were able to follow up on this story later on when the bird is taken care of and released.

29 Anon June 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Right over your head. Figure out the difference between Weak and Week before trying to tell us all how to solve the worlds problems. And don’t try to tell us it doesn’t matter “IRREGARDLESS” ha ha.

30 Ms.P. June 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM

very nice…we would love a follow-up story Mayor.,,,,,

31 ChrisKap June 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Anon, Meriwether Lewis was a horrible speller. Personal assistant to Thomas Jefferson. Discovered new animals, drew them, described them for science all across the US, on and on, during the expedition , he spelled Mosquito 10 different ways, but anyone with half a brain would not get stuck up on a misspelling or two, and see the message. You are one of those. Poor you, you miss so much. Let me ask you, would you sit on a bench that had a sign on it saying “Wet Pante? ” Probably…… PS. Intelligence has zero to do with spelling. Just an FYI. ( It was not over hy head btw )

32 msf. July 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM

reminds me of grilled chicken….

33 Lori July 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM

This bird is only cute because it is so ugly. Great save thank you for taking the time to do this not many would these days.