Transportation Options for BART Passengers in Case Workers Strike

June 28, 2013 16:51 pm · 31 comments

As a strike by BART workers looms next week, regular BART riders are being warned by the agency to expect major delays and to look for commute alternatives — or just stay home.

BART’s two biggest employee unions, Service Employees International Union Local 1021 and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555, announced this week that their members voted to authorize a strike.

A strike could begin as early as Monday morning since the unions’ contracts with BART expire Sunday. BART officials announced today that they will offer limited shuttle bus service during peak commute hours if a strike occurs. The commute-direction service will stop at the El Cerrito del Norte, Walnut Creek, Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont stations and in San Francisco.

However, the buses will only carry around 2,000 to 4,000 passengers per day in each direction, depending on traffic. BART normally carries 400,000 passengers a day, including 96,000 across the Bay in the Transbay Tube during peak commute hours, which is 50 percent more than when BART workers last held a strike in 1997, Metropolitan Transportation Commission executive director Steve Heminger said earlier this week.

Alameda-Contra Costa Transit officials earlier this week said in a statement that they would offer some expanded transbay service “to the extent possible, depending on bus and operator availability.” But AC Transit faces its own strike threat and has limited capacity to absorb additional riders, according to agency officials.

The agency’s union contract also expires Sunday, the same day as those for the BART unions, and 97.4 percent of AC Transit employees voted last week to authorize a possible strike, according to union officials.

On the Peninsula, SamTrans will offer a temporary shuttle from Daly City and Colma to a temporary transit center on Mission Street in San Francisco. The shuttle will operate from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays, agency officials said.

Caltrain will attempt to respond to increased demand where possible, depending on the availability of equipment and crews.

However, both Samtrans and Caltrain already operate at or near capacity during commute hours and officials are warning commuters to expect delays. “If BART strikes, there will be a great deal of additional strain on all Bay Area transit operators,” said Chuck Harvey, deputy CEO of Samtrans, in a statement. “We’re asking commuters to be patient, plan ahead and leave additional time to get to their destinations.”

But the best advice for many commuters is to stay home if at all possible, or change their routines, according to transit officials, who are advising companies to allow telecommuting wherever possible or staggered work hours so commuters can avoid peak hours. Commuters could also consider carpooling. Parking will be free at all BART parking lots during a strike for those using carpools or other transit options.

All commuters are advised by transit officials to make sure that their Clipper cards are loaded, since some BART tickets may not be honored on other agencies, and to use Fastrak if driving.

For the best information on alternate routes, commuters are asked to check 511.org or call 511. In the event of a strike, the transit trip planner on the site will offer options excluding BART. The MTC this week voted to reimburse other regional transit agencies if they have to provide additional service because of a strike.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Frontline June 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

ATU 1555 representing Train Operators and Station Agents has asked the Governor for a cooling off period to allow more time to get the contract settled without going on Strike.

BART management was not present at the bargaining table today. They do not want a cooling off period to resolve the issues.

Old Timer June 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Let all of them strike get fired and hire all new workers. I would love to have there jobs great wages retirement and bennys.They don’t know how good they have it.I’m tired of giving giving giving.They can all kiss my caboose.

anonanonagain June 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM

So commuters should just suck it up and find another alternative to work, or commute to work or just stay home……
Stay home???? People that depend on public transport and their jobs to keep them afloat have to stay home??!! Are they kidding??
These people make me sick……..Run down, smelly filthy trains from the 70’s and they want more money for safety. Sure they do…….

Teacher wannabe June 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Just because they voted to strike doesn’t mean they will or need to. AT&T worked a year & a half without a new contract because we knew service was important. We continued to provide excellent service while the union and management duked it out.

Lori June 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Totally agree with Old Timer !!! I am not a BART rider but I feel bad for all of you that depend on BART to get you to work. BART is filthy dirty every time I’ve been on it I feel like I need to go home a shower. YUCK !!!!

Triple Canopy June 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I hate BART.. the union, the management, the very expensive lines they build ( About $1 billion per mile!!!), and their lack of planning. Why doesn’t BART have set-aside funds for facilities renewal and rail car replacement??? Instead, it’s higher fares, parking fees, and higher salaries to pad and justify their existence.

Next we’ll hear “it’s for the children, firefighters, police, and teachers”. Same ol BS line time after time to pull at weak heart strings.

SICK OF IT!!!

SEIU Strength in numbers June 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

SEIU California 700,000 members strong. We are the backbone of California, We can bring this state to its knees, if we all stick together we will get what we want.

Julio-Antioch June 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wait until you see how much they are making in benefits they shouldn’t be.
Many are retiring and being paid full salaries etc etc etc for YEARS. The worst bunch of employees I have ever seen. They know how to work every crooked angle. me me me me me me.

Anon June 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Old Timer I couldn’t agree more! Fire them all and give their jobs to people who really want them. I know many people who haven’t had raise in years and pay their own health benefits and pay toward their pensions. You are so right! These guys don’t know how good they have it and all of us have to pay for it.

Anonymous June 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Partial socialism doesn’t work. Either unionize everyone (like in France where even the CEOs are represented) or unionize no one. You would quickly see a drastic change in wages and benefits if everyone belonged to a union. You would no longer see the average, middle-class workers falling farther and farther behind the public workers in total compensation.

Parsnip June 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

@SEIU blah-blah #7 — Does that piece of paper that protects your job protect you or your family when you’re away from the workplace?

You’re in open territory, fool. And, quite frankly, if I were you I’d shut up. You just might need your shop steward helping you to pick up your teeth off the ground once someone finds out you’re name is “SEIU.”

Big Al June 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I will take there job. I will take there job right now. I am a over qualified profesional mechanic. I can do there sit on your fat ass job much better, at much lower $$$.

Union Hater June 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Union members should all be thrown in jail.

They deserve a couple of nights with big bubba in the slammer.

Anonymous June 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Here is the plan. Offer them an appropriate reduction in salary and benefits. They go on strike. We have quite a bit of inconvenience. Hire and train new people. Bring back some of the strikers, the good workers.

There will be a couple of months of traffic jams and inconvenience.BART will start up again and we will all have more money in our pockets as a result of decreases in salary.

The greedy toads that run the union won’t be heard from again for a generation.

Take some management guts? Sure will . Like when Reagan took on the air traffic controllers and won.

ale June 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Good to see that they think they need a raise.

The station agent at Berkeley this evening was working hard reading a magazine.

Bunch of mindless Twits June 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

They should be happy for what they are getting right now. Their jobs do not require any skill. Just a bunch of mindless twits milking the Tax payers.

This makes me sick!

anon June 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Tax payers pay the salaries of every public employee as well as the benefits they receive. Right now the nation and the states are in a recession. Businesses and families are cutting back, some in a very big way. In fact, some can’t even do that and have gone out of business or filed for bankruptcy. And yet the public employee unions believe themselves to be immune to economic circumstances. They may have earned it, but their state can’t afford it. And so, like unions everywhere, they have a choice. Either cut back salaries and/or benefits or find another line of work. The public is broke.

Hello, unions? Reality calling.

co-co-res June 29, 2013 at 5:29 AM

don’t see BART management making any concessions; BART management is the one with the ridiculous PTO packages, not the employees on strike here. Go after the prime offenders that make these policies, instead of the workers. BART management is pathetic or there would have been more planning for maintenance and revamping this pathetic, DIRTY, out-dated system. I came home with gum on the sleeve of my sweatshirt from your nasty seat Friday because there are no more employees that clean only your gross people that you pay $10.00 an hour and no benefits. BART MANAGEMENT ARE CROOKS AND MAKE REALLY BAD COSTLY DECISIONS. TIME TO OVERHAUL BART AND GET RID OF BART MANAGEMENT. THAT IS WHERE THE WASTE IS.

co-co-res June 29, 2013 at 5:33 AM

I love the way BART so easily thinks people can find alternative ways to commute from beyond the Caldecott Tunnel; get real. They obviously have forgotten about the fire by west oakland station and what that did; Traffic was at a standstill all day on 24 so you think people are going to be able to get across the bridge and to work? yeah right! f’n morons. I totally resent BART doing this to the passenger every time the contract is up. I don’t even like being threatened. BART your maintenance, your service, everything about you is HORRIBLE. Thank you for your patience and understanding why we continue to screw you workers. BART Operations Control.

Grower4ever June 29, 2013 at 5:44 AM

GREEDY GIVE THOSE JOBS TO PPL THAT WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE CURRENT STATUS OF CINTRACT .THEY ALREADY MAKE A GRIP..A RAISE FOR WHAT?DOING CUSTOMER SERVICE

@grower June 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I was going to respond, but when I saw how you spelled contract, I thought why bother, this person doesn’t know what 2 + 2 is.

@17 June 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Some taxes but also fees. I guess for you other services you use and good you buy prices have gone down because of the rescession. Like gasoline, milk, or even a hamburger? You’re a fool.

anon June 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM

It’s a free market, you get the best deal you can negotiate. You don’t like it move to Iran.

ClayDen June 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM

This needs to be handled just like President Reagan did with the air traffic controllers: give them 48 hours to report back to work and if they don’t, they are fired. There are plenty of people willing to take these low skill jobs for the current pay (or less). This fiscal insanity has to stop.

Howard K Mullins III June 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

@ ClayDen, I agree.

Some unions have put businesses out of business with unpractical demands. Other union demands increase the costs of products to the point where are they are no longer competitive.

Unions are an important of any company, the suits need to know what the workers need and unions give workers the voice.

I hope Bart and Bart Management can reach an agreement before Monday. But if they cannot, Bart Management should be replaced and union workers given a choice of returning to work or finding other jobs.

Bart needs to operate to keep people getting to their jobs. A shutdown of Bart is unacceptable.

@clayden June 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

What was the legal basis for the firing and how does it apply here?

It's the poor people who suffer June 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

not the guys who can afford $25 to park. Service industry people can’t telecommute.

Anon June 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@ @clayden – generally refusal to work is a good basis for being fired from your job.

@SEIU Strength In Numbers – sounds like 700,000 job openings we could afford to give to folks willing to work, rather than a mob of gangsters threatening to “bring the state to its knees” because they think their entitlements are worth extorting the other 38 million residents in the state.

Boo boo June 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Train operators I have gotten a raise in 8 years and now with this strike I will lose my job smiply because I don’t have car and depend on BART. I can just see you laughing about my losing my job well thinks a lot and I hope you get what you want.

Just watching the news... June 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Those BART workers were sure working hard on those strike posters. Never seen that much activity from any of them. If you’re going to strike just freaking do it. Riders need to finalize plans. If they strike I need to walk out my front door at 5am. Not really going to be able to stay up until midnight to find out what is going on…not like I’m going to be able to sleep. The weather is not going to help.

Steve June 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM