BEWARE: Thief Snatches Purse While Victim Pumps Gas

June 13, 2013 15:48 pm · 56 comments

A woman had her purse stolen while she was pumping gas at a station on Clayton Road in Concord on Thursday afternoon.

Here’s the story, from the victim’s son….

Hi Claycord! My Mom, who is 83 years old, was pumping gas at a station on Clayton Road in Concord this afternoon, and when she turned around, she saw a white male in his 20’s standing next to her car. She thought nothing of it, but after she finished getting gas, she got into her car, and noticed her purse was missing. Her driver’s side and passenger’s side windows were both lowered, but not all the way down. Apparently while she was pumping gas, he reached in, grabbed her purse, then took off on his bike. She saw him leaving shortly after before she realized her purse was missing. He was riding a BMX style bike and had long blonde hair. She said “he looked like he was homeless”. The sad thing about it was she told me she was thinking about giving him $5 so he could go buy lunch, because he looked like he was hungry. We called the police, but were told we need to make a report online. Fortunately her purse didn’t have any credit cards, and only had about $20 cash and a little bit of medication.

Sorry to hear that, what an awful thing for your mom, or anybody to go through.

Claycordians, when you’re pumping gas, and you’re alone, ALWAYS make sure the passenger side doors are locked, and the windows are up.

1 Jmouse June 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Wow that sucks glad to hear not much of value was taken.

2 Em Dubya June 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Same description as the “wiener bandito” on the WC bike trail. We need to outlaw BMX bikes – a getaway vehicle of choice on the pages of Claycord.

At a minimum, the NSA should collect BMX meta data.

3 Trolo June 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Why doesn’t she request video from the gas station? They all have cameras.

4 More details, please! June 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Which gas station?? There are a ton on Clayton Rd!

5 kimchee June 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

It’s sad that an 83 year old person has to pump their own gas! What a crock of poop!

6 NEI * Not Enough Information June 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Yes, please, what gas station? Good for a heads up anywhere, but it would be nice to know exactly. Good idea, too, Trolo, about the video. How rotten to rip off an LOL. Jerk!

7 PH Neighbor June 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Thank you for writing this post so we can always remember to be extra diligent with our purses while pumping gas.
So glad to hear your Mom didn’t get hurt physically.

8 Reality says... June 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

83 YO and still driving? oy vey!

9 Random Task June 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

wow so now when a crime happens you have to go online and maybe in a week someone will get to it ……seems the dems are not doing a good enough job in this state to help get more cops and investigators …instead they are stealing all the tax money and getting re-elected ….hmmm maybe we should all be polititions and after we steal from each other for a while things might actually get done to help this state instead of squeeze it dry of all its stupid tax payers …..who keep voting in the crooks and liars to take all our tax money and waste it and fleece it as they see fit and not care at all how the voters feel ………keep voting for the dems …….it can only get worse from here

10 Ms.P. June 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Thank you for letting us know about this bandit. I will definitely lock my car at the pump!

11 Pegasus June 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

If she were packin’ maybe she coulda winged ‘em. ;)
That’s the way girls are down in Texas.

12 Lorelei June 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Please; where on Clayton Road????

13 kyle June 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM

People who pick on the elderly and children are nothing but cowards and losers! !!!!

14 rgb June 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

So glad she was not hurt. We all need to be more aware of our surroundings. Thieves are everywhere now days. SO SO SAD

15 Well... June 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It doesn’t really matter what gas station. The point is, be extra careful when pumping gas. I always lock my doors when pumping gas because I only take out my debit card. That way when my back is turned and my attention is on the pump, I don’t have to worry about it.

16 Concord Mike June 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

If this story is true, it is shameful that the police department would not take a personal report on this serious crime. Stealing a purse is like stealing someone’s identity. It is not a petty property crime.

17 Spanky Fortuna June 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

…….and don’t EVER leave valuables in plain sight.

18 RanchgirlCA June 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Folks, it doesn’t matter which gas station. You should never leave things within reach of open car windows or with the door unlocked. My purse is ways out of sight and I lock the doors while pumping gas, no matter where. Sad this happened.

19 Owl Lady June 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

So glad your Mom was not physically hurt, and, you tell her “GO GIRL” for still driving! And, echo the request for the name of the gas station…

20 bumper morgan June 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM

tweaker trash. There is no lower form of human life than tweaker trash.

21 Bob Brittain June 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Perpetrator has a similar description to the Iron Horse Trail Flasher in Walnut Creek, including his bike.

22 Dorothy June 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Agree, sounds like the crud that flashes on I H Trail.

Drive safe lady but be very aware of what’s around you all the time.

23 Narrow It Down June 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Ya know been meanin’ to get a new hood ornament for that ole Doge 4X4 of mine.

24 anonanonagain June 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Makes me so mad. Creeps like this don’t know the meaning of getting a job and going to work. Preying on old ladies and women at gas stations have become their modus operandi. Hope they catch this cockroach soon…….

25 Teacher wannabe June 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM

@Random Task. Dems have nothing to do with it. Stuff happens. Just gotta watch out.

26 anon@aol.com June 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM

“Patrick” was one of the homeless around treat, was always on a bike and had long blond hair in pony tail, I haven’t seen him in a few years, but not over there as much anymore.

27 MSkitty June 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I always lock my door when I’m pumping gas. Too many idiots.

28 Claire June 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I’m sorry to hear that happened. I hope they catch this creep.

Another warning to the ladies of Claycord… DO NOT leave a purse hanging on your chair or sitting under the chair at a restaurant or coffee shop. I was out to lunch with a large group of co-workers and a couple of guys came and sat down at the table next to us and then got up and left a couple of minutes later. Turns out they stole two purses at our groups table. One of the ladies had her SS card in her wallet (another thing you should never do). And the men were in dress shirts and slacks, so they looked like they were co-workers out to lunch. Or co-thieves I suppose.

29 Parsnip June 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

@#27 — Same. I pay cash and I’m not about to leave the car accessible.

@#8 — A lot of them are better than the toddlers wet behind their ears and with CDLs that advertise they aren’t even 21 (which is pretty evident by the local collisions).

30 Big Al June 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Blonds, just wanna have fun, Blonds just wanna have fun!

31 old concord June 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Low life .

32 JDB June 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It DOES matter what gas station….as what a previous poster said, Clayton Road is a very long road…..it may be a gas station i go to, and I would like to keep my eyes open for the a$$hole that is frequenting the area!!

33 Chris K June 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM

@ Reality says. A person can be 90 and still able to drive safely, or 90 and not. Some at 75, some at 70, And a person can be 50 and eyes shot and not. Age in itself does not make someone unsafe to drive.

34 Janet White June 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Ohhh, I am so sorry! One would think that if you saw an elderly woman pumping gas that the only inclination would be to help her, not steal from her. So sorry!

35 Elwood June 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I skip over any post by Random Task.

At one time I had hoped that he/she/it might learn how to write in English.

But that was a false hope.

36 me June 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I ALWAYS lock the passenger door when I am pumping gas!

37 GoGo Gomez June 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Low life’s!

38 Antler June 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Union Station at Four Corners (Monument Blvd and Meadow Lane) has Full Service on the island closest to the front of their building.

39 Okay June 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Chris K, I think you should get a better education, Your writing technique and grammar is atrocious.

40 J. June 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Here is a picture of the pervy guy from the trail:

41 FAQ Lowlifes June 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM

This always makes me mad when you here about punks robing old folks. Did anyone hear about the 83 yo man in Antioch who was found uncontious in front of OSH after being robbed. They arrested a 15 yo a couple days later. The man was in the hospital for over 4 weeks. Unfortunately the man died yesterday. I wish these punks could be delt with properly and be exterminated.

42 Paranoid June 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

This is exactly why I always lock my doors when I get out of my car to pump gas.

43 Shuley June 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

@ Random Task
You are a very appropriate representative of your political segment.

I saw a creep fitting that description hanging out at Newhall Park Monday evening. I was on a bike ride and he was with a couple other lowlifes in a picnic area by the lake.

44 Amazed June 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

@ Random Task

Huh? Please explain how the “dems” are not doing enough to help get more cops and investigators. And, while you’re at it, please explain why Republican anti-tax policies aren’t to blame, at least partly, for the shortage of cops and investigators.

45 Bullwinkle June 14, 2013 at 6:25 AM

The concord police DO NOT take civilian crimes seriously… Even if they are violent… I know of somebody who was assaulted and put in a hospital and the police do nothing about it.. They say they will but only to get you to go away… It has been months and they do nothing even when the 19 year old guy caused serious bodily harm to the 16 year old kid. (unprovoked there’s no justification for the attack at all) i may end up taking care of it myself. Vigilante justice I what comes when the police fail to protect. They’re too busy violating rights and making sure nobody grows pot

46 Smellwood June 14, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Wow, the description of the loser sounds just like Fluffy, Elwood’s lover.

47 Chris K June 14, 2013 at 6:40 AM

@OKAY! OK. But this story isn’t about my lack of education. Or yours thankfully. lol
“Okay June 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

48 Jim June 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM

@Random Task…completely agree…as to the other detractors…We have a budget surplus, RIGHT, due to the tax increase on the wealthy and we raised the taxes in Concord to help keep services?…so why wouldn’t there be enough officers to actually come out and make a report?

49 Elsie Davis June 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Random task, please stop posting. No one knows what the he11 you’re trying to say. And don’t come back with your snarky crap about how “this is a blog” and “the grammar police, blah, blah, blah…”

Sorry, everyone. That was totally off topic…

50 Idiocracy June 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Its always some far left lobbies that just don’t get it. The ppl that blame the dems have a point. Din control and have been in this state for a while period.

51 The Mamba June 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I agree with Bob Brittain and others, it sounds like the guy showing his codpiece on the Iron Horse trail. Were the police called and were security tapes viewed at the gas station?

52 Me June 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I always thought that would happen to me, i am usually very careful to make sure my windows are rolled up and my alarm is on…sounds stupid but I guess after this happening it’s not so stupid.

53 down and out June 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The guy who allegedly stole the purse was NOT homeless. He was a BUM. I am homeless, and I would never do such a thing. There are two types of people without a house:

1. Homeless, like me, who are college educated and have a car, savings, income, stocks, etc. They are down and out on our luck, but will soon be employed (if not already) with a house, mortgage, etc.

2. Bums: people who choose to be homeless because of drugs, alcohol, or mental illness and refuse help.

54 down and out June 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Also, bums stand on street corners and beg for money (some are not really homeless and drive a fancy car and have a ice house). They don’t shower or do laundry. I do laundry and shower every day, sometimes four times a day. No one had the slightest idea I am homeless. I eat at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, etc.

55 Dave June 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

This sounds like a kid I saw bumming money outside El Tapatio on Treat on Tuesday. Young, looks like a surfer- only he was on a green bike with a rack, not a BMX. He had on a green trucker hat, a grey hoodie and shorts. He said he needed $.50 for BART he asked me a a few others (got money from a few of them) then headed up Clayton (away from BART).

56 Concord Concert June 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Wow…I heard about this,,,,,!