Fill the Boot! Firefighters Raising Money on the Streets of Claycord for MDA

June 5, 2013 16:33 pm · 16 comments

Claycord_stardate

Claycord_stardate

Claycord_stardate

Claycord_stardate

Firefighters from the Contra Costa Fire Protection District are out on the streets of Claycord this week raising money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Tonight (June 5th) until 9pm, firefighters will be in Walnut Creek, at the intersection of N. California & Ygnacio holding firefighting boots while accepting any amount of monetary donations for the MDA. They’ll also be out again on Friday in Pleasant Hill, at the intersection of Contra Costa Boulevard & Taylor/Willow Pass.

The MDA helps fund research, provides community services and educates the public on muscular dystrophy and other diseases of the nervous and muscular systems.

Thanks to those who donated or plan to donate, and thanks to ConFIRE for taking the time to raise money for the MDA.

1 Applaud the Cause! June 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

But it seemed a little hazardous actually with them standing in traffic in their yellow gear, lots of rubber neckers on YVR getting on the 680 with the firemen holding boots up in the middle of the road. Although probably effective, a little confusing for drivers already dealing with lots of lane changes and merges right there.

2 Julio-Antioch June 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Actually in Antioch I don’t know why several of them were not killed. It is a wonderful campaign but they better brush up on safety for every ones good.

3 Antler June 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I especially enjoy the friendly firefighters’ appeals made in Yountville at every intersection in town during this drive. No, really! They’re wonderful…some are singing duets….or chatting with you until traffic moves on, telling you the best “hidden” places in town to eat, etc.. I dropped $30 just “gettin’ outta Dodge” there last year. :-)

4 Living in Claycord June 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I thought this happened closer to Labor Day. It ued to be held in conjunction with the MD Telethon when Jerry Lewis was involved.

5 Outta left field.. June 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

…kind of a tangent here, but I’m remembering a few years back in Emeryville, I witnessed an Amtrak train stopping between stations and the cops swarming it and pulling off this not small guy who was going beserk. An EPD female officer was right in the middle of it. She was pretty small. Not more than an hour later I saw her pulling “fill the boot” duty, mixing it up with the public and showing zero sign that she’s just been in the thick of a dangerous and stressful situation. It made me really appreciate the emotional resilience necessary to be an emergency responder. It would take me a lot longer than an hour to shake something like that off!

6 Triple Canopy June 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Hey Mayor!! Why do you keep censoring my question as to why other organizations doing this type of charitable action would not be granted the same privilege to solicit among traffic?

It’s a fair question that requires critical thinking.

Maybe you should post it up as a Watercooler question.

7 Big Dog June 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hey Triple Canopy!! Any charitable organization can solicit anywhere, this is America!! If I know the mayor, he doesn’t censor much dialogue here on Claycord. It sounds like you have a bigger problem with the firemen that are doing this, or is it the kids that have Muscular Dystrophy that you have a problem with?

8 94598 June 6, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Hey Triple Canopy and Big Dog– Mayor censored mine as well.

9 Triple Canopy June 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Hey Big Dog…

Learn the law… Soliciting ON roadways is against the law and poses a traffic hazard. Sidewalks are usually treated differently because it is intended for pedestrians.

Those firefighters better be off the clock.

10 BCuzItzClaycord June 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

GEez by reading Triple Canopy’s comments I’m glad to see that the residents of Claycord still hold the honor of most negative when it comes to charity. Way to go Triple Canopy and others like you. You are a real jerk.
Big Dog don’t waste your fingers on people like Triple Canopy as they are sad little gnomes with no life, heart or compasion.

11 Triple Canopy June 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

It’s not about the charity. I’m all for it.

It begs they question whether special privileges are being granted (due to lack of enforcement) whereas other groups are excluded.

The President speaks of fairness and anti-discrimination but it seems that it is okay to discriminate and allow special privileges when it suits one’s own purpose.

Hypocrisy?

12 Mimi (original) June 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Let’s fill the boots to reopen closed Fire Stations!

13 Hello June 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The firefighter doing “fill-the-boot” are all off duty personnel taking time out of their day trying to help a bunch of sick kids. Please understand the firefighters are doing the right thing and be nice to them

14 Anon June 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Hey triple canopy. Shut up. Nobody cares about you or your dumb comments

15 Craig Cannon June 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Thanks Firefighters!

16 Triple Canopy June 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM

After giving this much more thought I feel like its not such a bad idea. My wife recently left me and I’ve been really upset lately. Thanks for what you do firefighters!