Concord Police K9 “Rosco” Passes Away

May 22, 2013 21:45 pm · 40 comments

rosco

Sad news tonight.

The following information is from the Concord Police K9 Association:

It is with great sadness that the Concord Police K9 Association announces the passing of one of our retired K9’s.

On Sunday May 12th 2013, K9 Officer Switzer was forced to make the very difficult decision to have his retired CPD K9 “Rosco” laid to rest. Rosco was 13 years old.

Rosco began his work here at Concord PD in March of 2003. He continued as Officer Switzer’s partner until the spring of 2010 when he had to be retired due to recurring seizures. When Rosco was retired he lived the remainder of his life as a beloved member of Officer Switzer’s family.

Officer Switzer and K9 Rosco proved to be a great team over the years and an excellent asset to our department. His fetish for stuffed animals aside, Rosco excelled in drug detection and was very good in protection/apprehension work. During his 9 years on the streets Rosco was responsible for arresting numerous suspects and seizing large quantities of drugs and drug associated currency.

We thank K9 Rosco for the service he provided to our agency and the citizens of our community. He will be missed but never forgotten.

The Concord Police K9 Association.

1 Lizzie May 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Job well done Rosco. May you run through the fields of heaven…

2 babytruck May 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Thank you Rosco and officer Switzer for your years of service together.

3 SB May 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My condolences to the Switzer family and to Officer Switzer. It is definitely a difficult thing to lose our furry children, I can’t imagine losing a furry one who was also my working partner for 9 years. My thoughts and prayers to Rosco’s family.

4 J. May 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Boo.

5 Jmouse May 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Sad to hear.

6 co-co-res May 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

very touching and sad; r.i.p. Rosco. Appreciate teams like Officer Switzer and Rosco on our streets fighting crime. my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

7 Craig Cannon May 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Really Sorry to hear this. Besides the Unconditional Love of a Dog, Our Police K-9 Officers keep Officers safe, really taking that “First and most Dangerous Step into a situation”. Rosco, it’s nice to know you spent quality time with Officer Switzers Family before your passing. This is important. Police K-9s are Hero’s, no different than any Human, except the obvious. They only obey, and don’t talk back! RIP Rosco!

8 Dog lover May 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Figo’s big brother….

9 CG May 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM

So sad. Prays going out. He is running and playing
in heaven with the best of them at the rainbow bridge.

10 ??? May 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

:( rip!!

11 jdog98 May 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM

RIP Rosco, thank you for your service to the City of Concord.
OUTSIDE HEAVEN’S GATE
“I’ll Wait –
I explained to St. Peter
I’d rather stay here,
Outside the Pearly Gate.
I won’t be a nuisance
I never was, I won’t even bark.
I’ll be very patient and wait.
I’ll be here –
Chewing my celestial bone,
no matter how long you may be.
I’d miss you too much
if I went in alone .
It wouldn’t be Heaven to me.
Author Unknown

12 Love K9's May 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Well said Craig Cannon. When a K9 officer faces a situation, 2 lives are at risk. The handler and the dog. Much respect for these teams and the work they do!

RIP Rosco and prayers for the family

13 Antler May 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Good boy, Rosco. And thanks to both you and to Officer Switzer for your responsibility and bravery on behalf of those you helped to keep safe.

14 Elwood May 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM

All the stuffed animals you want now, boy! RIP

15 Kenny May 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

@Lizzie – Well said.

RIP Rosco.

16 Amy May 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

This story brought a tear to my eyes. What a great story. I am so glad Rosco had a wonderful life and was able to be a real working dog. I am sorry for the loss to the family and officer who had him and for the loss to the Concord Police Dept. but happy that his life was so good. We should all wish for a long, productive and fulfilling life.

17 SKC May 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM

So sad I have meet this dog with my daughter. I know how close the officers get to their animal partners. Our thoughts and Prayers will be for the officer and family.

18 losing my mind May 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Officer Switzer,
I’m so, so sorry. He’s beautiful. Shepherd’s are such a special dog, they’re my favorite dog. And Rosco was extra special. Wish I could have met him. I’d like to have a neighbor like Rosco.

19 shenanigans May 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM

My condolences to the Switzer family at this difficult time. I know the hurt of losing a family pet but it must be especially difficult when that pet was your partner first. I hope Roscoe had a peaceful passing. RIP buddy and thank you for your years of service to Concord.

P.S. I hope his name gets added to the K-9 memorial very soon.

20 Mr. Anon E. Mouse May 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Sad news. Condolences to the Officer and his family that took in the ol’ boy, Rosco. I bet he was well loved in his twilight days.
I know how hard it is to have to make that final decision. My old girl, also 13 this year, got sick in January. Euthanized her 12 years to the day I adopted her on my birthday 2001. Twas a crappy birthday this year. :(

21 MSkitty May 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

rip Officer Rosco-true condolences to your family.

22 sam May 23, 2013 at 2:28 AM

There are no adaquate words of comfort, that can fill the emptiness in a broken heart; let us be forever mindful, to hold on to the spritual light, of those very few precious souls, that have filled our life our hearts with joy and fullfillment; I was very saddend to hear of Rosco’s passing; my very deepest of consolences to Officer Switzer and his family.
S.

23 This guy May 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Rip Rosco. U did a good job of protecting us all. Thoughts are with ur family.

24 mamatosix85 May 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Sorry for your loss. So much gratitude for both of you for watching over our community. I know he is resting in peace and enjoying freedom from pain as he waits for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

25 Parsnip May 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

It feels like the community lost a family member.

Thanks for your services, Rosco. And thanks for sharing him with us, Officer Switzer. My sympathies to all.

26 Jason T. May 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I went to school with Ofcr. Switzer, he is a great guy. I was able to meet Rosco as well a few years ago at an event. My thoughts and prayers are with the Switzer family, I know how tough it is to lose a dog….. I had to go through it myself recently. RIP Rosco.

JT

27 Chester E. Kitty May 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Switzer and his family. Rosco is now running and playing with the other dogs that have gone on before him. And he has tons of stuffed animals to play with too!!! I’m sure he is playing with my beloved shepherd, Charlie, who has been gone for 5 years now. Still miss him.

28 Palermo May 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My condolences to the family and PD, rest in peace Roscoe

29 HometownHero May 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Dear Rosco:

May you rest in peace. Thank you for your many years of service and making our community a safer better place. I hope that you and your family will be reunited someday. In the meantime, have a great time with all the other dog angels and new playmates you will meet.

Peace forever,
Dog and Cat mama

30 Mac May 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Losing a dog that you have boned with for years, is a super tough thing.
That is why i don`t own a dog any longer.
I had mine for over 20 years.
And losing her was like losing a family member.

So i wish this family and Officer the best.
For this rough time.

It`s not a person, but it is still something that is very close to your heart.
And that is reason enough to be sad.

31 Mac May 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Bonded….not boned….sorry

32 Nancy Non-PC and Proud of IT May 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Officer Rosco we thank you for your selfless service and commitment to our city. Rest In Peace. Your memory will live on!

33 Autumn May 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Rest in peace, Rosco. My sympathies to Officer Switzer and the rest of CPD. I’m glad he got to live out the rest of his life with his partner, as he should. Take care!

34 Man In Tan May 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Thanks and God Bless you Rosco for your service. Rest in Peace our furry friend!

35 Incognito May 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thank you for protecting us Rosco.
May you rest in peace.

36 anonanonagain May 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Sad news. Thank you Rosco for years of service to protect Concord citizens. RIP…….

37 SanDee May 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Parsnip said what I was thinking. R.I.P Rosco.

38 firefighters daughter May 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Thank you Officers Rosco and Switzer…our thoughts are with you. Animals are such a joy to have and for you to be able to work together must have been very special.

39 Owner of Pugs May 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Our beloved Pets, as well as our ‘working pets’ live to please us….they ‘give us their ALL, just for a pat on the head and an awaiting “treat”.
Our Pets are NEVER selfish and now it appears Officer Switzer had to make one of thee HARDEST most UNselfish decisions for his Partner, his BEST friend, his Pet…..and clearly he made the right decision by setting ‘Rosco’ free.
Now ‘Rosco’ has crossed over the “Rainbow Bridge”….. where everything is right.
My Thoughts are with the Concord Police Department and mostly with the Switzer family, who lovingly shared their lives and home with Rosco.

40 MDUSD Teacher May 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Thanks Rosco, may your bed be soft your food be plentiful, your body be healed, and may you run in the fields of heaven whole again