PHOTOS: Taxi Slams Through Walnut Creek Home – No Injuries Reported

May 7, 2013 14:05 pm · 46 comments

taxi_1

taxi_2

taxi_3

taxi_4

A taxi driver slammed his cab into the front of a home on Claiborne Drive in Walnut Creek on Tuesday afternoon around 1pm.

The driver, who wasn’t injured, drove up the sidewalk, up the front lawn and into the home, which is in the area of Treat & Bancroft. Neighbors say the driver lives down the street from the home that was hit.

Nobody was inside the victim’s house at the time of the crash.

Police haven’t said if alcohol played a role in the collision.

photo credit: “Flash”

1 Wow May 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

You know what? This cab driver FLIES down my street (Las Juntas Way) on a daily basis. Maybe another person that works for the same company, but it’s likely this person.

This accident is exactly the type of thing we worry about. Some @$$hole not paying attention ends up in your living room or bedroom. Hope the homeowner sues the crap out of the driver as well as the company.

2 Skyscraper May 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Guessing it’s another case of the driver mistaking the gas pedal for the brake.

3 Glen May 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Hmm,

Door to door service?

4 Cowellian May 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Hang up and drive!

5 babytruck May 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Glen ~ Looks more like window service if you ask me!

6 WC Parent May 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Thank goodness no one was hurt especially since Bancroft Elementary School is literally around the corner! That’s the street all the kids and parents walk down. People always speed down that street. SMH!!!

7 The Closer May 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I hope the meter isn’t still running.

8 Mr. Pink May 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

“Honey, I’m home!”

9 Mr. Pink May 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

That’s what happens when you’re a slave to the GPS unit.

10 Parsnip May 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Since Monday, I think the idea is to get houses, fences, center medians and cars out of the way of other drivers.

11 Dorothy May 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Seems like more and more vehicles are chasing houses – and catching them. I’m surprised that taxi’s are doing it too.

12 nytemuvr May 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It says “Veterans Cab Co”….maybe he was a tank driver in the service.

13 WC44 May 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

WC cab companies are the worse. No big city would allow those worn out cars to be taxi’s.

14 Blink May 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Don’t drink and drive…call a taxi….

15 Wow... May 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Wish he’d drive into my house it needs a makeover!

16 concord original May 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Whadda ya normally tip on something like this?

17 Parsnip May 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Don’t forget that for your shopping convenience we provide crashers into mobile phone and office supply stores, too.

18 Victor mature May 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Maybe the owner wanted a 3 car garage and to save money hired the driver for cheap labor.

19 Ryan May 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Here it comes…

“Stop Texting!!!!”
“Hang up and Drive!!!”
“Stupid Drunks!!!”

Seriously people…none of us knows what happened. And as someone in an earlier thread said: There were car crashes LONG before there were cellphones. Stop jumping to conclusions and clamoring to assign blame before we know what’s up.

20 oldman May 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

@Ryan
Funny, you are the first of 19 posts to mention what you protest.

21 JD May 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yeah! And there were houses LONG before there were cars, too. So there’s that.

22 Craig Cannon May 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I was just there. The Taxi was actually Driven out of the home leaving a gaping hole. Wingard Construction is trying to Board Up impact hole. A Walnut Creek Building Inspector has Yellow Tagged the Home. This means it can’t be Inhabited. The Garage is actually Leaning to one side. Much worse than it seems. I feel sorry for the Owners. I was hit Yesterday, myself. It’s a terrible violation of ones privacy, and piece of mind when accidents come your way.

23 Claiborne Eyes May 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM

He appeared severly intoxicated, didn’t want to go to the hospital and had to be restrained for the ambulance ride. He caused very serious damage to the home. I’m thankful none of my neighbors were hurt & he wasn’t driving down the street when children were walking home from school!

24 anonanonagain May 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

What’s going on with all the crazy drivers these days?? Cab drivers are the worst!!! I was behind a cab the other day and had to call the company to let them know that their driver was not only speeding but nearly broadsided me as he entered my lane. I don’t know if the dispatcher of that company gave him a warning or just laughed it off. Most cab drivers are idiots behind the wheel…..

25 Cowellian May 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Oldman,
I was the first to mention “hang up and drive.” It was just speculation, but then, jumping to conclusions is all the exercise some of us get around here.

26 Ryan May 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM

@oldman…actually, read post #4.

thanks so much.

27 husker May 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Really sad. You bum.

28 Jerk May 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

#19, Can you at least Admit that these kind of Crashes Have risen since the advent of cell phones and GPS distractions?
Of course we will not get any statistics because the Police do not go any further in researching the issue, cell phone records are Not subpoenaed.
I guess All of that will change when Insurance companies decide to drop the Hammer.

29 @Ryan May 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Don’t forget stagecoaches!

30 Concordian May 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Just goes to show the mentality of a taxi cab driver. I swear they don’t need a license to drive. They just need a face and an odor….

31 cabbie May 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

1. The driver of this cab is the owner of the cab
2. Tip should be about 20%
3. His phone was probably involved
3a. Alcohol was more likely the problem
4. Most cab drivers are not crazy, drunk or on the phone
5. All Walnut Creek cab drivers are drug tested including alcohol only once a year.

RANT:
The problem is the city of Walnut Creek has allowed over 150 cabs to be licensed to work in the city which is way too many. This means a driver has to work longer hours and drive faster to make what they used to make several years ago.

32 Big Al May 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

No big deal. Tow it out. Repair it and fix it up and stretch it in to a limo. Put it back in service. No big deal. Happens all the time. Ice cream trucks. Cabs, Crown vics. Old police cars, Your local auctions are filled with gems to take care of your siblings next wedding party.

33 Mary May 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Is this what they mean “Will Pick You Up At Your Door”?

I hate taking Taxis. I noticed they tend to speed alot and I recall one driver who I can barely understand driving between 2 lanes, and I’m like WTF “get me out of here”

34 CatWoman May 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Pizza delivery….lol :-)

35 Em Dubya May 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Was the same 30 pack of beer getting a ride home in this cab as was getting a ride home when the kid allegedly hit the allegedly wrought iron fence?

That 30 pack has bad karma.

36 Elwood May 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

That’s the kind of 24 hour service I can do without.

37 MS.P. May 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Well, if this was indeed the 30 pack that kid was driving around–then it is the kid who has the bad karma…and started a chain reaction, Such a shame–someone could have gotten killed or impaled from what I see.

38 Torrie May 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I hope that the police in Walnut Creek after this event intensify control on illegal taxi drivers, those who work at 24 hours behind the wheel, and finally to those who enjoy alcohol in work.

39 Parsnip May 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I’ll never forget walking down 5th Ave in Manhattan. Dumb and Dumber were walking, and Dumbest was driving a cab. There are zillions of cabs in Manhattan.

Dumb and Dumber had pedestrian right-of-way, stepped off the curb and were struck by Dumbest. Dumbest made the motion to pull over. But Dumb and Dumber stood up, embarrassingly brushed their clothes off — and then kept walking.

Dumbest looked a little perplexed, and drove off into oblivion.

And we just stood there — very confused. Obviously, we were tourists.

40 Walnut Creek Resident May 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

How does this happen? Texting, on the cell phone or maybe the cab driver
was just driving way too fast. I hope they regulate these cabs in the future. They are too old, and also the drivers get away with too much.

41 Antler May 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Mr. Pink at #9 ~ ~ ~ Especially large :-)

42 WC May 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

If we had immigration reform this wouldn’t happen….

43 Ryan May 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

@Jerk “Can you at least Admit that these kind of Crashes Have risen since the advent of cell phones and GPS distractions?”

I’m not really sure. What I WILL admit is that these kinds of crashes garner A LOT more exposure with the advent of the internet and blogs such as Claycord.com.

20 years ago we wouldn’t have ever heard about this crash. If the CCtimes DID print it (on a slow news day), it would be buried 10 pages deep. But there certainly wouldn’t be a vehicle (no pun intended) for assumptions, vitriol and conclusion-jumping from all these Keyboard Cowboys.

44 The Mamba May 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I hope it wasn’t because of some kind of medical emergency because then you would all look like a’holes.

45 Cowellian May 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

We may, or may not, ever know the cause of this crash. We frequently never get any follow-up information about incidents discussed on Claycord. But since we do talk about events in Claycord, speculation is an integral part of the discussion. It would certainly be interesting to find out the cause, but even if we do, it’s far more likely that this was caused by something the driver did wrong, rather than some kind of medical emergency.

46 The Mamba May 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Lol, good point Cowellian. We aren’t here to find facts, we’re here to offer opinions!