Police Pursuit in Concord – Schools Placed on Lockdown

April 23, 2013 · 35 comments

Westwood Elementary, El Dorado Middle School and Concord High have been placed on lockdown while police search for a criminal who allegedly tried to carjack a person near West and Concord Blvd.

The supect was involved in a pursuit and crashed his vehicle before the alleged carjacking.

If you’re in the area, use caution.

We will post more details when they are vailable.

UPDATE: The schools are no longer on lockdown, and the suspect has not been located.

1 JMo April 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Wow, just passed the accident had no idea it happened, one of the cars looks really bad.

2 Stu April 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

What about Tabernacle a block away?

3 Law Abiding Citizen April 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

been listening for the last 30 mins or so when it started.
SO started the chase and asked for concords assist, He was driving from port chicago then to willow pass then into DT Concord. Failed carjacking attempt and the victim said the suspect was bleeding.

4 momo April 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’ve been texting with my daughter at Concord High. She said that the guy hit another car head on and then tried to steal their car and when he couldn’t he ran onto the Concord high campus. They went in lock down at 11:20 and at 11:57 they are still on lock down. She heard this info from a friend in her class who’s mother works at El Dorado

5 cjk April 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

The police could have done a better job at blocking the road off at concord Blvd. and Mendocino so we didn’t have to turn around in fron of the high school. There was no way for me to see there wasn’t a lane for me to pass because of the many cars in front of me, until everyone started making u-turns. It looked pretty bad I hope they caught the guy.

6 Meat Grinder April 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

O’lay!!

7 slipster April 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Tabernacle should be fine. God isn’t allowed in public schools.

8 jess April 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes does anyone know if tabernacle is affected also? My daughter goes there!

9 cjk April 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Stu, Tabernacle was fine, drove past is twice.

10 concord mom of 4 April 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I called CHS and asked why on lock down as my child text me and told me. Damn office lady lied and said it was just a guy on campus that they were herding off!!!

11 Mike troll April 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

why does the government/police have to subject our kids to this sort of terrorism, there is no real need to lock down a school every times someone commits a crime near a school.

12 Concerned Mamma April 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I hear and see pd chopper. Do we have a description on suspect? Is s/he on foot in the area?

13 Concord1963 April 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

About 20-30 minutes ago I witnessed a very high speed pursuit on N Sixth Street going towards Willow Pass Rd. Hard to identify the car – it might have been an older camaro-style car, brownish with 5 police cars in pursuit. I’m assuming it is one and the same? I couldn’t get anything off my scanner so thought I’d check out Claycord.

14 ConcordMike April 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Suspect dropped his inmate ID card when running to back of high school. They know who he is. And he has a felony warrant for vehicle theft.
Sounds like the lockdown is canceled.

15 scary times April 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I heard a few minutes ago on the police scanner they the schools are no longer in lockdown. Apparently they do not have the guy in custody (from what I could make out) but they know who he is. I may be wrong, but sounded like that’s what the dispatcher said.

16 JMo April 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Channel 2 chopper circling

17 GoGo Gomez April 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

SMH!

18 chs student April 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Saw pics of one of the cars… hope everyone is safe! Idk if he was on campus. i heard the principle and one of the ladies in the office through my teacher’s walkie-talkie and they said he wasn’t seen on the school’s cameras

19 car April 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My child goes to Tabernacle and I just stopped by. The staff had locked down the campus and were standing in front of the entryway. I must say I was truly impressed. Just as I drove up they advised me the police had called a “All Clear”.

20 chs student April 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM

@Concord Mom of 4,
Yeah, theres a lady in the office whos really rude to people. maybe she answered your call lol

21 Jazzguy April 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Let me make sure I’ve got this right. Police chase ending in crash, a failed carjack attempt,perp runs into concord High,3 schools go into lockdown,perp isn’t found, lockdown lifted.WHAT? Lockdown lifted before perp is apprehended? You’re kidding,right?

22 medic April 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM

i observed chase it came straight at me with policecars enough that it didnt star in downtown with sherrifs and concord pd the car came at me -head on and passed me on passengers side on wrong side of road i thought i was dead meanwhile police gave up chase just ahead of me and parked on right shoulder then out of nowhere picked up pursuit again at least i thought but what i realiized was a major accident injuring others im still affected and bothered by this all police cant let people not stop for them but safety rules are implemented to help reduce these outcomes since it happened in front of school was pursuit stopped to late with its speed and all you be the judge calling it off but crash still in school zone U BE THE JUDGE IM NOT SO SURE ALL SHOOK UP

23 ConcordMike April 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

@medic
Hard to read your post. No periods. Sounds like you will be okay though.
Adrenaline plays with our hearts a lot.
It’s a tough call when to call off a pursuit since only seconds and minutes elapse while supervisor decides how serious the crime is, direction of pursuit, etc.

24 Aaron April 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

M Troll. Not sure if you have kids, but. Id want my kids school on lock down if there was a police chase close by. You never know whats these dirt bags are going to do. Believe me. I work with them. They are high on Meth. They have no respect for life. And they are willing to do anything to get away. I only wish they had been able to find the guy before calling off the lockdown.

25 Stu April 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

cjk & car, thanks for the update.

26 bloopy April 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Tabernacle was locked down, all clear now. Mr. Taylor has got this handled.

27 Richard April 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

@ medic,
Congratulations for the longest, not quite coherent, run-on stream of consciousness I’ve ever seen.

28 music April 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM

They should lock down schools in this case like this since the suspect got away. The schools arount the incident did a right thing. I am not suprised to read that the teachers at Tabernacle were standing in front of the entryway while the lock down, those teachers are truly amazing.

29 Work at Westwood April 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I work at Westwood and we weren’t ON LOCK DOWN police NEVER called!!!!
WOW NICE work CPD.

30 CLAYCORD.com April 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I was told that Westwood & El Dorado were both on lockdown. If they weren’t, they definitely should have been. Look at how close they were to the crash. I think they were actually closer than Concord High.

31 LD April 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM

My house backs up to the concord high field. Has anyone heard whether the felon has been caught yet? I’d hate to go home and find him in my yard or shed.

32 MMA April 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I am a teacher at El Dorado and we were also NOT on lockdown. Shocked that the cops didn’t put us on one, though.

33 CLAYCORD.com April 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Thanks, MMA. I heard El Dorado & Westwood were both locked down. I am also very surprised they were not placed on lockdown, since they were so close to the initial incident and the suspect was considered armed & dangerous.

34 Babs April 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

if he got to the back of CHS, he could use the naval station grounds to move. I keep telling people, neighbors have seen men creeping along fence line….think about it…perfect get away avenue after doing a house or even in this case. He could make it all the way to Bailey and even across it.

35 anonymous April 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I work at El Dorado Middle School and would like to clear a couple of things up. We were never on lockdown. The police spoke with our principal and he was told that we did not need to go on lockdown. They knew which was he was headed and felt that there was no need for us to go on lockdown. Our principal and staff takes the safety of our students VERY seriously and if they were in danger at any time – we would initiated a lockdown.