VIDEO: The Flying Squirrel of Claycord

April 18, 2013 · 21 comments

We got this video from our friend Cal, who caught this cute little guy on camera the other day.

Watch the full video, there are a few different camera angles and even slow-motion replay with indecent exposure at the end of the video.

Thanks, Cal!

1 Cowellian April 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It has been my observation that there is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder.

2 ConstantReader April 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Cute!

3 Kimchee April 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Vermin!

4 La Grinch April 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Love it!!!! Great camera work! Is there a story behind his name?

5 Big Al April 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Check out spinning squirrels on youtube.

6 Local Restauranteur April 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I love squirrels. They really stretch the buffet profits.

7 annon from Antioch April 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

This video is awesome! We have a squirrel that makes his rounds in the morning and evening each day. He goes from the hedges to the trees. Jumps but nothing like this! Thanks for sharing!

8 Anon-E-Cat April 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

@Cowellian – I agree 1000%. We have some very brazen squirrels in our yard. Teases one of our dogs until he goes CRA CRA!

On another note, today I watched a Praying Mantis egg sac hatch about a million nymphs on my Honeysuckle plant, I hope they make it and the hummers and woody(ies) leave them alone :-(

9 Parsnip April 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Oh no! I have one of those feeders for the Jays. I had it positioned at the corner of the house and the squirrel figured out how to climb up the corner of stucco. So I moved it over to the flat side of the house. He’s working on it. (And it’s only about 4′ from a tree…).

@Cowellian –I did have squirrel-proof feeders. The squirrels could not get into them. I had to stop putting out seed because of roof rats.

Now I just feed the jays, suet for the chickadees (which just had babies in the wren house), titmice, finches, and hummingbirds.

And corn cobs at the end of the fence for the squirrels ….

@Cal — thanks for the video. I love/hate squirrels. Last year, Mom squirrel brought her babes to my backyard to feed, and it was so cute watching them play tag!

10 livininconcord April 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Nasty rats in fancy fur coats. Go ask the medical clinics in the camping areas of CA and find out how many squirrel bites there are. When they bite, they lock their jaws, takes a pair of pliers to break their jaws and get them off your kids hand. Or better yet, they just bite and run. Then you can go for the rabies series of shots. I say kill em all.

11 jtkatec April 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

No, he’s not mooning you, Steve. But he is saying “nah, nah, nah-nah, nah.”

That slow motion footage is unbelievable. You’re destined for one of those desert film festivals.

12 MeryH April 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Love this video! Thanks so much for sharing

13 Claycord resident April 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Lol. Impressive!

14 ConcordRes April 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

@livininconcord

Squirrels do not transmit rabies to humans.

15 MS.P. April 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

This was great footage…especially the slow motion. lol This would be great in the “America’s funniest home video” show. Well done. =)

16 Momma Nona April 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

We need more stories like this on Claycord! :)

17 Shutterbug April 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

GoPro?

18 EdiBirsan April 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We have a bird feeder hanging down from our backyard tree on thick wire which we coat with vaseline just to keep them off it. They then started to jump and dive bomb on the feeder so we covered some of the top also and that finally stopped them but eventually the gunk wears out and we have recoat the wire.

We had one that used to torment my dog by going in the yard then when chased would go halfway up the big tree turn around and then bark back at the dog and the two would carry on for 10 minutes before they would each go their separate ways. They did this routine every day a few times a day all summer when we first got him. Thereafter whenever the dog saw a squirrel he would head to the tree and start to bark waiting in vain for the squirrel to take up his position in the ritual. The Squirrel must have been related to Pavlov.

19 noflow April 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

My Uncle used to take me squirrel hunting. Wear heavy gloves.
I used to tell my toddler to stay away from squirrels, they bite hard and could give you rabies. When she was older, on the way to her annual check up, she questioned me about the rabies. I said they are mammals, and if they have rabies, they can transmit. At the doctors office, some unlucky kid came in screaming. Our nurse was called away to help with the stitches and was asked about squirrel rabies. The daughters eyes were the size of saucers. I shrugged and said its easier to just stay away from the furry tailed rats.
Remember the Golden Retriever in the animated movie “Up”? His name was Dug, and he would be distracted by a squirrel. Our old Golden would just go bananas chasing the furry rats along the back fence. If you said the word “squirrel” he would get all excited, and run to the back door.

20 Cowellian April 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Yeah, we used to have a squirrel bribery station away from the bird feeders. But without cutting down all the trees, we couldn’t keep them from jumping onto the bird feeders.

21 losing my mind April 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM

i used to think they were cute until i found out what they can do to an attic and what it will cost to fix it. rats w/ furry tails.