EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Oak Grove Middle School Teacher Under Investigation for Allegedly Hitting Students

April 10, 2013 10:18 am · 131 comments

teacher

An Oak Grove Middle School teacher in Concord is being investigated for allegedly hitting students with an unknown object during class.

The incident took place before spring break, and video was recently sent to www.Claycord.com & www.BayAreaNewsTalk.com showing the teacher allegedly hitting at least one student, and apparently threatening others with a long, unknown object. At one point in the video, one student says what sounds like “ahhh, ahhh, there is no excuse” after allegedly being hit with the object.

Mount Diablo Unified School District Superintendent Steven Lawrence says “Since all personnel matters are confidential, I cannot share specific details of any personnel investigations. However, we are aware of the concern and are taking all necessary steps to ensure our students have a safe and productive learning environment.”

Lawrence wouldn’t confirm the teacher’s name, so for now, we are keeping it private until it is officially released.

We’re being told she was at school on Monday of this week, but was not at school on Tuesday. It is unknown if she is teaching today.

UPDATE: Superintendent Steven Lawrence has confirmed that the teacher is on administrative leave pending the investigation.

101 Matthew April 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

@California nightmare
You keep on posting that same link like it backs your claim. I’ve already observed the data from that link, and it does not support your claim whatsoever.

102 @California nightmare April 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM

As a middle school teacher who is neither lazy nor lousy, your comments are extremely offensive. Walk a mile in my shoes before you make judgments about me.

103 GD98 April 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM

California Nightmare didn’t do well in statistics. “Many” teachers with over 100k TCOE, is actually 42 teachers. That’s going to be a really low percentage.

For a teacher to actually make that much, they damn near have to be finished with their masters degree (which is a really nice accomplishment), and work for the district for 31 years. Most private companies would consider themselves to have a dedicated employee like that, but not Mr. Nightmare.

This guy is a joke.

104 Sinn Feiner April 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Damn that’s nothing!!! This teacher looked like she was just joking around and the students were laughing. Not sure how to take this one.

I got into a fight outside during lunch with another student when I was in 6th grade and a male teacher tackled me to the ground!!! He took me down hard too. I was a small kid then. Just skin and bones. My parents made a complaint and the teacher got spoken to but that was it. Totally got away with it. This was back in 1984 though.

105 Anon April 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM
106 99% April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

This a non-violent act. She has a smile on her face. Drop it!

107 CatWoman April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

yes, she has a smile on her face–I feel totally safe with our kids in her classroom!

108 steve April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I’m very disappointed that this is considered NEWS! The teacher is so obviously just taping the student on the shoulder. Please stop sensationalizing this. It makes KTVU look like a supermarket tabloid. I expect more than that from you. I’m very disappointed, and I’m turning to another station

109 Frivolous Lawsuit April 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Nice to know that while the kids at OGMS get free hot lunches and free after-school daycare, they still have $ for expensive video cell phones. The video shows nothing disturbing at all. Glad to see most people with common sense on this board realize this is much hysteria over nothing. I’d hate to see the taxpayers’ pocket picked over what appears to be a scam by the ESL crowd.

110 MomToBe April 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’m sorry but this is what happens when you don’t discipline your child! Remember back when we were little, not always but sometimes got spanked by our parents… I wouldn’t even Middle and High Schoolers’ Parents: do check up on your child during school day unexpectedly once awhile!! See how your child behaves in class and IF he/she even shows up to class/school!!

111 Just sayin` April 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

If you take the Summer, Winter, Spring breaks.
All the holidays.
And all of their sick leave. (which teachers use non-stop)
If you add up the hours they are teaching (and we are not counting the movies days) they are making a pretty good amount per hour.

Ever see a teacher sweat ?

Most teachers have the heater on if it`s below 70.
And the A/C on if it`s above 72 (and still complain)

Teachers are just plain spoiled

112 tony April 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hey Friv…. how does this video even get anywhere near a scam by spanish speaking students…. do you know that most likely today, the school your kids went to back in the 1940’s has students who get free hot lunches…. not just Oak Grove. And are you really insinuating that the student video taping a teacher (being playful) is an ESL student who gets free hot lunches? How would you know this?
Oh…. I know: YOU ARE A RACIST…

113 @ Tony April 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Not a racist, just a Latina woman who has no patience for kids who are foul-mouthed, threatening and verbally abusive to teachers. Have no desire for my taxpayer dollars, which should be used for education, to go towards some idiotic lawsuit brought by the parents of these delicate flowers. Also, not insinuating the kid is an ESL free hot-lunch kid, am TELLING you he/she probably is. The school stats don’t lie as to the percentages in that regard.

114 Jason L. April 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I went to Oak Grove (90-93) and I remember when kids would do things like swap a “Disney” video in for a science video so that when the teacher put the tape in the VCR, the kids ended up watching the “Disney” movie. I also remember a bunch of kids conspiring to bring a certain teacher a case of deodorant to point out that he smelled bad. I remember a sub crying in the middle of my english class because she couldn’t handle us. I remember a couple of kids that wrote a song called “Women ain’t nothing but (female dogs) and (gardening instruments)” Kids were bad then, they are bad now.

By the way, in a 7th grade english class, I remember our teacher bringing us (during class hours) to the Dome to watch Jurassic Park (we had just read the book). We walked all the way there. It was great. So it wasn’t all bad.

115 Anon2you April 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! It looks like a rolled up poster…Sounds like a blown up and possibly made up story in light of some other more serious incidents that have happened. Seems to me this was done without any intention of physical violence and more in jest. In light of recent situations though I would say this teacher just needs to be warned not to do things like this in the future…

116 Anonmom April 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have worked with the teacher in the video and can say there is no one more dedicated to her students. From the amount of laughter, I am sure there was no bullying, intimidation or abuse going on. OGMS just is what it is, no amount of extra funding, school inprovement grants will change it. The majority of the students are rude, disrespectful and just out of control. Those are problems that no amount of money will solve.

They need to remove the few students who are actually salvageable, and transfer them to other schools.

Disciplinary action needs to be taken on the student who took the video, oh wait that won’t happen. Trust me.

117 @ Anonmom April 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Well-written commentary, thank you for your insight. That is one of the saddest points of this whole drama…probably a caring teacher. doing an extremely difficult job, working with some of the toughest kids in MDUSD. No good deed ever goes unpunished as my husband always says.

118 teri April 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

The news reported that the student might get in trouble for the recording. That is not acceptable. Students should be able to record misconduct by teachers (not judging if this incident was misconduct or not).

119 GD98 April 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Good idea Teri. Let young teens determine when they need to follow the rules, I’m sure that’ll end well.

120 OGMS Mom April 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My child attends ogms and has this teacher currently. She is a wonderful caring teacher. Apparently the child filming is not getting a good grade and so now he wants her fired because he’s angry. She is clearly just messing around..no ill intentions. It bothers me that some punk kid is upset because he screws around and gets a bad grade and throws a tantrum in the way of trying to destroy this teachers life. This isn’t some game…this is a persons life. Some of the kids there need to be taught manners…we allow kids to run us way more than we should as adults. This video is ridiculous.

121 OGMS CLASS OF 2012 April 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

@MIKA TO WHOEVER WROTE THAT OGMS IS PIT OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANNA CALL US….. FIRST OF ALL YOU HAVE NO REASON TO JUDDGE US BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW THE SCHOOL. SECOND THE SUBS DONT COME BACK BECAUSE THEY THINK ITS UNCOOL. SUBS HAVE TOTALLY SAID THAT. THIRD WE MAY SUCK SOMETIMES BUT WHAT YOU SAID IS DEFINETLY NOT OKAY. WE MAY BE ONE OF THE WORST SCHOOL OR WHATEVER BUT YOU DO REALIZE THAT HALF OF US ARE READING THIS RIGHT ? WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AND THIS IS COMING FORM A 14 YEAR OLD WHO SPEND THE BEST 3 YEARS OF MY LIFE THERE. THIS TEACHER DID NOT DESERVE THIS IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. I KNOW THE KID THAT FILMED THIS AND I AM FREE TO SAY THAT HE IS A KID THAT IS JUST LOOKING FOR ATTENTION. HONESTLY AL YOU THAT WISH HER BAD ARE SERIOUSLY WRONG. YOU DONT KNOW HER SO DONT WISH BAD. SHE IS AMAZING PERSON WHO DEFINETLY DID NOT NEED THIS IN HER LIFE. I HOPE THIS KID IS THE ONE WHO GETS IN TROUBLE NOT HER. SHES AN AMAZING TEACHER.

122 Enfield303 April 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

@#122

Please use your indoor voice when talking with the adults. They will be more likely to take you serious,as you have made some good points.

123 Parsnip April 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The first thing we learned in Journalism 101: Consider the source.

Were this my blog, I’d remove it. At least until something more definitive surfaced to support the claim.

To the kid who will never be a photographer, look up this phrase and study it: Civil lawsuit.

124 Mika April 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

@122–I can see how well you wrote your post that your OGMS English teachers taught you well. NOT! Pay attention to your education, you need it. I’m sure your teachers did their best to teach you, but you were probably texting your friends during class instead of paying attention in class. And please use your indoor voice when addressing adults. P.S. See you at YV. . .

125 Fritzhugh Ludlow April 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM

In 1967 Mr. Jones the P.E. teacher used to hit all the bad kids from other classes on the butt, with a two foot long paddle!…did not do any good…they went on to YVHS to become car strippers/Acid trippers, busting heads and dropping reds.

126 Oak grove middle school 2012 April 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

@Mika Thanks for the amazing support (:
Hope you learn you manners someday (:

127 Oak grove 09 April 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Oak grove middle school is tough, as we all know. I am not blaming all the eighth graders there, I was once an eighth grader there, people called us the worst school, but not everybody is like that, because I am not like that or my friends. My sister had this teacher last year and she said that she like joking around like that but it not anything painful and that she is a decent nice teacher. I go to high school now and take a class on child development and school laws, I been in this class fpr three year and currently help with litte kids. I think she innocent, the kids are laughing not yelling or anything, and if the kid says that paper hurts, unless you got a paper cut from it, you are just weak. About 12 states in the U.S allow vp, principal and other admins to spank students with wooden paddles for punishment, try being those kids in these state, even though they are not to be super hard and the paddles need to have a certain standard like how thick the paddle mustbe in order to

128 Teacher in MDUSD April 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

As a teacher at a low-performing high school in MDUSD, trust me when I say to all of you non-teachers commenting…you wouldn’t last one day in our shoes. The kind of bad behavior we are dealing with is absolutely at an all time high. Teachers do not make 100k + a year and to suggest that is absolutely insane. Most teachers that have been teaching in the district 20 + years finally cap out at 75K. Many of us, myself included have our Master’s and that gets us a tiny bit more. In this district we are screwed on our benefits and have to pay for them. Also, unfortunately the school and district usually sides with the student. I know teachers dealing with situations where the student and parents ended up lying about things so a teacher would get in trouble. I know a teacher who was blamed for a student wigging out in the classroom because he had taken drugs. There were witnesses to this including his own friends and it was never investigated properly. Yet, the teacher was blamed for not having “proper boundaries” with the student, else how would such a thing happen?! Teachers have learned that in this district, you will always be blamed for what the students do no matter what. At our school when the classes mistreat the subs, we are blamed for it because, “we must allow our students to act like that when we are there.” Yep, we get blamed when we aren’t even in the room. It is very scary because a student can ruin a teacher’s career just by spewing a few lies. I know of a student who kept apologizing to a teacher for the lies his parents told in a meeting but the damage was done. They have made this teacher’s life a living hell ever since. Once you are on the radar for anything, good luck getting off. This teacher is great and I know others who are mistreated as well by the powers that be. This teacher at OGMS will hopefully be vindicated but even if she is, the damage is done to her reputation and how could she ever go back to work there without the scrutiny and the dark cloud that will forever follow her? People want to know why they say teachers burn out after 5-7 years of teaching? We are not appreciated, treated like crap and we put in as many hours as a lawyer does weekly and we are paid nothing. Contrary to popular belief, we are not running to our cars at 3:30pm, and in fact many of us are on campus til 6pm or later. Then we have tons of grading to do, lesson planning and are often in our classrooms on weekends. I had a friend visit me for one period once to see me teach and she said, “I didn’t do anything but sit here and observe and I am exhausted; you couldn’t pay me 100K a year to do this.” We deal with it all, the cussing, drugs, alcohol, anger issues, fights, disruptive classroom behavior, you name it. At my school subs get paid top dollar, for “combat pay,” at least that’s what they used to call it. The fact is, we teach because we love what we do and love our students. Unfortunately, we have a lot of B.S. we have to put up with in the process.

129 ANON from Oak grove April 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Oak grove middle school is tough, as we all know. I am not blaming all the eighth graders there, I was once an eighth grader there, people called us the worst school, but not everybody is like that, because I am not like that or my friends. My sister had this teacher last year and she said that she like joking around like that but it not anything painful and that she is a decent nice teacher. I go to high school now and take a class on child development and school, I learned it at school. I think she innocent, the kids are laughing not yelling or anything, and if the kid says that paper hurts, unless you got a paper cut from it, you are just weak. About 12 states in the U.S allow vp, principal and other admins to spank students with wooden paddles for punishment, try being those kids in these state, even though they are not to be super hard and the paddles need to have a certain standard like how thick the paddle must be in order to be used or else the school with get in trouble but PAPER? You got to be kidding me! And if they are doing this because they don’t like her because of grade or get in trouble from her, you should know teachers aren’t not only do this because they want to help kids, this is how they get their earnings to pay bills and for their families. Teachers don’t get reconize a lot for putting up with these things, they are not paid enough for the job they are doing compared to a doctor or lawyer. It takes a long time to become a teacher, and people don’t acually think that teachers are important, they are. They help student get the knowledge they need for the real world and prepare them as much as they can for th future generations to come when they work in the real world. There are some teacher that don’t do their work, you know the bad teachers, but if they are bad teacher because they fail you, it all on you not them, it means you need to do work more instead of socializing with others. I had my share of bad teacher, my freshman english teacher was bad, she don’t commucate well to students usually put movies on, and she once had a hangover during a class, she retired brcause she has tenure after that year. Try having her as a teacher, she didn’t cared for anyone education much she spend more time getting students in trouble rather than doing what we were suppsoe to do. Back to this teacher, she looks like she does do her teaching, im friends with many people from there and they think she was a okay teacher, I know she fooling around and not doing her teaching but once in a while teachers likes to joke just because they enjoy that class. What worse is that the whole eighth grade class is suffering for this video, she organizes all their field trips, even though she wasn’t there when I was, she came a year or two later, the field trip were always the best, we went to great america in our trip. Also when my sister had her a year ago, the teacher had a great field trip to six flags. And now these eighth graders may not have a great fied trip by her because of a group of eighth graders, the need to know their concequnces before putting a video like that and how much it will affect the class, the grade and the school.

130 Annonomous April 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

i hate herr !!!!

131 Starship April 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

@ # 131 Annonomous

That is a very strong statement!