EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Oak Grove Middle School Teacher Under Investigation for Allegedly Hitting Students

April 10, 2013 10:18 am · 131 comments

teacher

An Oak Grove Middle School teacher in Concord is being investigated for allegedly hitting students with an unknown object during class.

The incident took place before spring break, and video was recently sent to www.Claycord.com & www.BayAreaNewsTalk.com showing the teacher allegedly hitting at least one student, and apparently threatening others with a long, unknown object. At one point in the video, one student says what sounds like “ahhh, ahhh, there is no excuse” after allegedly being hit with the object.

Mount Diablo Unified School District Superintendent Steven Lawrence says “Since all personnel matters are confidential, I cannot share specific details of any personnel investigations. However, we are aware of the concern and are taking all necessary steps to ensure our students have a safe and productive learning environment.”

Lawrence wouldn’t confirm the teacher’s name, so for now, we are keeping it private until it is officially released.

We’re being told she was at school on Monday of this week, but was not at school on Tuesday. It is unknown if she is teaching today.

UPDATE: Superintendent Steven Lawrence has confirmed that the teacher is on administrative leave pending the investigation.

{ 131 comments }

1 Niq April 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

HA! I had a math teacher who threw a chalk board eraser at one of the students once. She had great aim.

2 Mutts April 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Why is everyone so happy? This was a lousy video and doesn’t show what supposedly happened. What about when a student gets right into your face and says “f—- You”/ Happened to somene I know and they couldn’t do a thing. Every grade should have a class on manners and civility.

3 Chuckie's Wife April 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Weird. It didn’t sound like the students were afraid, though. They’re all giggling. And the one “crying out in pain” sounded like he was faking it.

Not that I condone teachers hitting students, but this just doesn’t sound right on many levels.

4 Retired Teacher April 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I am a retired teacher. There is absolutely no excuse for this. Makes me sick and gives all of us hard working teachers a bad name.

No student should have to put up with being struck with anything during school.

5 Oak Grove 04' April 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

well ,on a good note, atleast she’s not hitting ON students!

6 WC44 April 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Mutts, The class on manners and civility is supposed to happen at home.

7 Dog Meat April 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

The teacher HIT a student! Bottom line, no matter what, unless her life was in danager, she has NO RIGHT to hit a student with ANYTHING, even a piece of paper! She is clearly trying to intimidate the class and specific students. If she has a problem with a student, then send him or her to the office, but under no circumstances do you ever take matters into your own hands. She deserves to be FIRED NOW!

8 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I don’t mind seeing some corporal punishment when a kid is outrageously out of line, but what bothers me most is that there is no evidence of any teaching going on in that class room.

Just babysitting.

Remember, we are paying teachers with 10 years or more in the job about $100,000 a year in wages and benefits for 180 days of contracted work – even fewer workdays when you add in their paid sick time. That is over $80 dollars an hour if they work only the contracted minimum requirement.

It is true many teachers do just the bare minimum, and these teachers are often the ones most adamantly supportive of the union that protects them and assures they are not held to any performance standards. Worse, they often attempt to intimidate the hard working teachers who want to give much more.

The California teachers union is the worst thing that has happened to education in California. Our kids are suffering as a result.

9 Dorothy April 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

As it is now, teachers are not suppose to hit, kick, throw things, or otherwise do harm to students. I’m sure they know this already. But the problem isn’t that they don’t know but that they do know and some will do it in a temper.

All that being said I clearly remember getting my hands whacked with a ruler in the 3rd grade. The kid behind me did or said something and I got the blame and the ruler whacking.

10 micheLLeS April 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I hear a lot of giggling and that’s probably because she’s just horsing around with them. The object appears to be a rolled-up map or magazine. I heard one mild complaint (if you can call it that) and it was probably the kid who is too cool to be embarrassed to be tapped (not hit) on the head in front of the others.

11 mom April 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It never shows her hitting anyone, just the sound and all the kids are laughing which makes me believe she’s not hitting the kids and she’s being set-up. Just my opinion.

12 anonanonagain April 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

To me this looks like she is definitely hitting the students with a stick or rolled up object. The students laughing are probably nervous or as we know some kids do not know how to respond to her actions, which is bullying the students.
If this is found to be true, then this woman should be thrown in jail. I am sick and tired of reading about people who have children, the handicapped, elderly, or sick taking advantage and using force over another human being. Despicable excuse for a teacher and human being!!!!!

13 Stu April 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

14 Cracky McGee April 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

A lot of laughter and a teacher with a stick. Video didn’t show much …

15 Mac April 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I think there should be classroom camera`s.

That way both students and teachers know someone could watch what happened in each class daily. (if needed)

That would be for the safety of all. (teachers & students)

Not only would it stop things like this.
But it would show how well the teacher is doing their job.
How many video/movie days.

It would keep the students and teachers accountable for their daily actions.
And the tape does not lie.

Bet the Teacher`s union would shoot this down quickly.
They could never allow the public to know what goes on in the classroom daily.
Then they would know exactly how much work is being done at any point.

16 Beaver April 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM

While, “hitting,” students isnt right, come on, watch this video again. The teacher is NOT harming anybody. There is a fine line. I get that. Kids are laughing. Nobody is being hurt. Man, we are raising a BUNCH OF WIMPS! It’s the golden age of touchy feely. Not keeping scores in sports as to not hurt kids feelings if they lose. Everybody getting a trophy whether you come in first or last place. Teachers have ZERO rights in their classrooms but the students get all the rights. The teachers get very little support from parents or administration. And people wonder where it all went wrong. How about kids learn at a young age that you arent going to always win. You have to learn to wipe those tears away. That life isnt always fair. Wait until they get into the workforce and realize not everybody gets the same raise. You get it on performance. Wow, what a concept!

17 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Considering my own awful classroom conduct decades ago, and, that things have further degraded in public schools, I hope the teacher landed some good shots on the little creeps.

It is baloney that snotty brats can hold a teacher hostage by acting out and facing few consequences in comparison to what the teacher faces. Shouting “FU” in class should be a major offense irrespective of any teacher behavior – appropriate conduct is a two way street.

18 anon April 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM

:( How very sad to read this. It isn’t that this is new in our classrooms – it is just that now it isn’t acceptable behavior by a teacher. My first and second grade teacher used to gag and tie up the boys who would disrupt classes . Sometimes they would sit like that for what seemed like hours. Over the years one of the boys continued to disrupt everything and sexuallu and physically abuse the daughters of the parent who drove him to and from school and did after school childcare as a favor for the boy’s parents who worked long hours. I don’t think being tied and gagged helped this already troubled young person. I also know that it took the teacher most of her time and energy to deal with the explosive tantrums and anger the boys showed.
My third and forth grade teacher chose a different approach – she moved the desks of the two boys right next to hers and gave them special assignments and responsibilities. One of the boys really blossomed with that positive approach and the 2nd boy didn’t seem to have as many explosions. Perhaps teachers are just like the rest of us – some find grace in the midst of battle and try to make a positive difference while others just strike out at what they view as impossible conditions.

19 ExagerationMaybe April 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I didn’t see any hitting or any abuse here. Maybe someone is just trying to get her in trouble for no good reason. Maybe they didn’t get the grade they wanted. Maybe they are trying to stall a test. Who the h3ll knows. I don’t see any abuse here though.

20 Rey April 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The video looked innocent to me. It didn’t look like she was using a Louisville Slugger, and for the most part the kids were laughing and no one seamed to be upset over what was happening. Let the investigation run its course. @Dog Meat…I totally disagree with your assessment. Instead of getting upset at a teacher for hitting/throwing a piece of paper at our kids, how about asking our kids, “What did you do to deserve that action?” Kids need to learn accountability just like some adults or else they will grow up without owning their own actions in life and not realizing that their actions will carry consequences/reactions.

21 Don't Censor Me Bro April 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

@mom #11

This is a battery, plain & simple. Both criminally & it is a tort as well.

22 Long Time Reader April 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

23 Don't Censor Me Bro April 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

@woods #16…see #21

24 ANONONONON April 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think this reflects more on the parents than on the teacher. Where are the parents in teaching their kids on to behave and be respectful. Teachers have enough to do without dealing with unruly kids.

25 funny guy April 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

and? judging by the behavior of your brats around downtown, you’re children need to have manners beat into them more often

26 anon April 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The video is not convincing for reasons mentioned. I went to a local catholic school in the 60′s and 70′s and teacher on student violence was a daily occurence, (among other things like a sanctioned teacher/student affair that started int he 8th grade – yes, it was a sick place). But this looks and sounds like a set-up. More proof needed. I wouldn’t put it past kids nowadays to ‘troll” a disliked teacher by setting them up.

27 ANON April 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The teacher has done this before during other class periods but when the kids complained she lied and denied. Finally one student pulled out a cell phone and caught her. Sorry that the video is not up to your standards…the student was trying not to get caught, obviously. They are afraid of her and if it wasn’t for this video, she would still be doing this to them. She even went as far as to track down the student that recorded it, grabbed the cell phone and was going through the phone trying to delete it on Monday…because she knew she was WRONG! The kids are laughing…BECAUSE THEY ARE KIDS! I can only imagine how the students that were being hit felt after all the kids laughed. This is bullying and by a TEACHER!

28 Laughter? April 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This seems done in jest-and if this was a violent situation there would be true expressions of fear. Does this mean no duck,duck,goose in school? I went to school in the Deep South and kids were spanked by the principal, when discipline was needed. Everyone behaved.

29 TeamUSA April 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

If this is terrible you guys should send your brats to the nuns. Clearly they do not receive any punishment given your “outrage” at this video, where there is no evidence of anything besides giggling kids and a woman who has given up on them.

30 The Closer April 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

This is BS. A crappy camera, shaking wildy,showing absolutely nothing happening but a teacher walking around with a stick. Everybody laughing only tells me that this is a non issue. I just wasted 1min48secs of my life watching it and dumbed down for doing so. Leave her alone.

31 Schmee April 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Who cares. I hear the kids laughing.

I had a English teacher at northgate Hs that threw a paperback book at me when I put my head down in his class one time. We all laughed. He was a great teacher.

People are too touchy. Be concerned the parents aren’t hitting some kids enough these days.

32 The Mamba April 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’m pretty sure phones aren’t allowed in school, right? So how was this recorded?

33 GD98 April 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

#8

Which school district is paying teachers 100k/year? My wife is a teacher in the area and that would be a 45% raise for us. Thanks in advance.

34 Rey April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

@ #28….AGAIN I say, if the kids weren’t unruly would the teacher have to resort to using a paper stick or would she be able to actually teach. I think I may recognize this teacher and my brother was in her class many years ago. She is a good teacher. I actually walked by her class a few times when I had to pick up my brother and back then, kids were off the hook and I can only imagine how they are now. PARENTS… PAY ATTENTION AT TEACHER PARENT CONFERENCES!!!! If the teacher tells you that your child is being disruptive in class then maybe you should listen to the adult trying to teach your kid instead of listening to your kid saying, “she doesn’t like me” or “she always picks on me”…Your child represents what YOU are teaching them at home. If they are out of pocket, its because YOU allow them to. Teachers want to TEACH, not BABYSIT.

35 ANON April 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’m appalled at some of the comments here by obvious jerks.

By Funny Guy, who sure as hell is not funny, “you’re children need to have manners beat into them more often”

Long Time Reader, who is an obvious long time nutjob, “I Couldn’t be a teacher. Half those kids would get the crap beat out of them every day.”

Reformed by School, are you sure about that?, ” I hope the teacher landed some good shots on the little creeps.”

And Stu the troll, “They were all laughing, so it is obvious that she wasn’t hitting them hard enough. She needs to learn how to step into it.”

Violent and hateful mindsets you all have…..Pitiful.

36 CLAYCORD.com April 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM

UPDATE: Superintendent Steven Lawrence has confirmed that the teacher is on administrative leave pending the investigation.

37 Anon April 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Administrative leave?…why because she was having fun in her classroom…the vidoe is a clear indication that we have become TOO PC…this would have been a non-story even 5 years ago…I think that ruining a teachers life over something that looks and sounds like a joke is someone smelling the deep pockets of the state borad of education…I am sad where our world has gone…
@MAC…seripusly cameras in every class…why not put cameras everywhere so we can see what the public at large does…Oh wait we have…Welcome to 1984…a few years late but it’s here

38 anon April 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This teacher is not at school again today. Regardless of the fact that we all know how teenagers are today, that is not an excuse. Even if nobody got hurt physically, it is still not the right thing for a teacher to do. What if she did this to a student that was “on the edge” and that student came back to get her and she or other students got hurt then what would we be saying? There is too much of that happening in our society. No matter what, a school and its teachers are supposed to be a place that our kids feel accepted and safe. I have a student that attends this school and have been informed about this teacher’s ways in the past and honestly I brushed off what my child was telling me and now I find out about this. Now I’m shaking my head and going back over the other incidents that my child told me about thinking I should have spoken up.

39 Old Teacher April 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

@California nightmare
You need to check your facts on what teachers are paid. What are the benefits? MDUSD teachers do not get medical insurance.
For everyone that thinks a teacher is overpaid, spend a day at Oak Grove.

40 Kick April 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

As a recent middle school graduate I wouldnt have a problem with getting hit with what seems to be a rolled up poster.. It would be quite funny and everyone would get a kick out of it. It might actually contribute to my actually paying attention.. I cant believe this is getting such negative exposure, I bet if you asked every kid in that class about it they wouldn’t say they are scared or that it hurt them. Its not like she has a rod or stake people..

41 Lori April 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My kid complained and complained about how out of control his sophomore math class was, I finally decided to go see for myself. Sat in on the class, it was unbelievable. That class was so out of control it was like the teacher just gave up. Kids talking out loud, laughing, joking, wandering around the classroom. I went straight to the office and pulled my kid out of her class. I believe it starts at home, teach your kids manners, teach them to be respectful !!!! I don’t believe in the hitting thing, if a teacher has control from day one and doesn’t put up with these out of control kids maybe the rest of the class could learn something. You couldn’t pay me enough money to be a teacher these days.

42 WHAT SECURITY April 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

looks like BS I didn’t see anything incrimination looked playful or did I miss something.

I thought it was going to be like where that US judge was whipping is teenage daughter now that was sick.

43 Spark Baldman April 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

# 8 your an idiot

44 mom April 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

@Don’t Censor Me Bro
“Both criminally & it is a tort as well”
What are you trying to say? Maybe you should have listened more in class too.

45 anon April 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I swear we make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.

46 The Mamba April 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Some of the biggest nutjobs I’ve ever met were teachers.

47 Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

My first impression was that the incident was harmless, all in good fun. The teacher doesn’t appear angry. She’s just clowning around with the students. However, if what Anon 28 says is correct and students and/or their parents complained previously, the Teacher should have realized that some of her students didn’t appreciate her antics and she should have found a more appropriate way to bond with her students and manage her class.

48 Elwood April 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I guess I need to upgrade my video viewing skills. That could be the battle of the Martian superstars for all I could tell.

49 anon April 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Maybe it was a spitball.

50 Jess April 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

It’s impossible to tell what’s going on in this video. The district will have to send in an investigator to interview her students one by one.

I wouldn’t be surprised if her students goaded her to the point that she brought out the rolled up papers or whatever the stick is just so they could film her and get her in trouble. Talk to your kids and you’ll find out that’s not unusual behavior by students. I spent a lot of time volunteering in the schools when my kids were young. I saw all sorts of behavior, both good and bad, from both teachers and students, and from parents, too. When you look at the whole picture, sometimes things aren’t as black and white as they seem.

It could be true that she’s both a teacher who whacks a student on the arm once in a while as well being a warm and caring teacher whose students learn a lot. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Perhaps she needs some counseling on acceptable classroom management techniques before being returned to the classroom.

As for the suggestion that teachers send misbehaving student to the office, that’s not practical in many situations. What’s the office going to do with them? Unless it’s a very serious offense, the office will just tell them to knock it off and go back to class. They’d end up with half the school in the office if every obnoxious kid who wouldn’t put his phone away or wouldn’t do the class work or wouldn’t shut up got sent to the office. Part of being a good teacher is learning to manage your classroom. The school office can’t do that for you.

Maybe Mac is right with his suggestion that cameras be installed in classrooms. It would hold both students and teachers accountable for their actions.

51 Mike April 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Kids today have zero respect for anyone. Back when it was OK to “discipline” your children people had more respect for life and the well being of others. The “new age” parenting style has failed us and our society. Now, I don’t condone “beating” your kids but no discipline and letting your kids disrespect everyone around them is part of the reason the world is how it is today.Keep your kids in check at home as a parent and this would never happen in the first place. Decline of the western civilization indeed. Put down your phone for a minute and focus on what kind of contribution to society you are making when raising your children.

52 MonteKatt April 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Sounded like a lot of laughing. Sure didn’t hear stop, stop, somebody help that really hurts. Where was the screaming, just laughing. Somebody have it in for this teacher? Middle school what a wonderful age group……..

53 Vindex April 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

That video proves nothing. The students are all laughing. Please.

54 sfsean April 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

The sad thing is that if it is true the teacher hit a kid, the kid probably deserved it. Kids these days know that parents, teachers etc will go to jail if they hit a kid, even if the “kid” is 6 feet tall and weighs 200 lbs and deliberately provokes the adult. And NO, I am not saying it’s okay to hit a little kid. American children are the worst behaved children on the planet. It’s a relief to go to other countries where the kids are better behaved.

55 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

@old teacher – Here is a link to salary and benefit costs for public workers, including MDUSD teachers. You can see for yourself that many teachers are picking up over $100K in salary and benefits. In fact, the table contains data that is 3 years old, so salaries and benefits are even higher now.

This is public information, yet so many people are unaware of the high salaries and benefits paid to teachers and other government workers.

I don’t object to good teachers making good wages, but what you are seeing in this video, and what is VERY common in MDUSD, is nothing more than babysitting.

I ask again: why are we taxpayers paying up to $80 an hour for babysitting? When will we wise up and confront the California Teachers Union and their self-centered demands?

56 @ Dog Meat # 7 April 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

You sound like a drama queen. If you actually watch the video, she is not beating any kids. Every one is laughing and appears to be having fun in school. A tap on the arm is not abusing the kids.

57 Thankful for great private schools April 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And once again hard-working taxpayers will have to pay for other people’s bad parenting. Am sure there will be a lawsuit. From what I have seen of the Oak Grove Middle school children they could use a bit more tough love.
My sympathies completely with teachers and administration who everyday have to face down the constant barrage of profanity, threats and intimidation. OGMS is basically an ESL continuation school and it is laughable that MDUSD offers this as an actual school option to middle-class Walnut Creek families. Who do they think they are kidding?

58 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

#36: yes. Let the beatings commence until morale improves.

59 Stu April 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

@ #36 Anon,

Get off your high horse, not everyone here kneels at altar of the Almighty Child. The video shows absolutely nothing and some are acting like she grabbed them by the nap of the neck, and took after them with a switch.

60 sam April 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

From the old days, the mid-60′s:
During middle school, I used to be sent to the principle’s office, “like clockwork”, every few weeks, to receive a paddling, as I was regularly being a disruptive influence in the classroom. I couldn’t pass any subjects in school, so I developed, into being the “class clown”, most assuradly, I was a disruptive influence in the classroom.; I well deseverved every paddling I received and darn well knew it, these very harsh strikes to my bottom, over time, made the distinct impression, into my juvinile brain, that if I chose to continue, being the clown in classroom, chose to continue perpetrating such misdeeds, any misdeeds, then I should expect to reap the commensurate punishment; these WELL DESERVED STRIKES TO MY BOTTOM, EVENTUALLY, TAUGHT ME THE VERY IMPORTANT LESSON, OF BEING ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY ACTIONS; by the time I got to high school, my being a disruptive influence in the classroom had completely ceased.

61 ANON April 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

@ Stu, what damn high horse? I’m just astounded by the angry idiots posting here. Almighty child? Ha!! Children are to be shown what a decent human being is all about.Led by example. Unfortunately in today’s world it’s the ADULTS who are teaching the kids how to be young disrespectful punks.

62 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

#62 – by any chance are you a foreign policy advisor on matters concerning North Korea?

63 Howard K Mullins III April 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Too many adults today are nothing worth following.

The left wants to control everything, perhaps its time for the government to license people who want to parents and not allow some people to be part of the reproduction pool. I hear your children are not your own anymore anyhow, might as well restrict who can contribute to the community.

64 Tom April 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I got no problem with a teacher keeping kids in line. Thats why this country got soft, we stopped whipping kids.

65 ctown April 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Crap video. Looks like a cardboard tube she had in her hand. With most of the students laughing, for all we know she was conducting a lesson on slavery. Not enough evidence to show otherwise.

66 Matthew April 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

@California Nightmare – Did you even bother to actually spend a minute to research the link you posted before making your arguments?

Entity: Mt. Diablo Unified School Dist.
TCOE: 0 to 100,000
Records Found – 5253

County: Contra Costa
Type: School Dist
Entity: Mt. Diablo Unified School Dist.
TCOE: 100,000 to 500,000
Records Found – 214

And on the second set of results, they’re mostly administrative jobs and barely any teachers.

So where do you get the nerve to say “many teachers are picking up over 100K”?

67 Parsnip April 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

@#58 — “Am sure there will be a lawsuit.”

That’s pretty much what I stated. I guess I must have hit the delete key by mistake, uh-huh. Whoever decided to send in this exclusive bit of news with a nice back-up of audio that totally conflicts with the claim might have to be making a royal apology. That, or their parents might on an attorney search.

68 Nom de Plume April 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Video doesn’t really show anything. Yes, she’s holding something that looks like a cardboard tube, rolled up paper or magazine. The sound you hear could be her smacking it on her hand to get their attention. The students are giggling; I don’t hear any shocked sounds or distress coming from them except the one time which sounds faked.

Teachers in my day were a lot more abusive. The worst I can remember had a size 14 shoe he used to beat the crap out of selected students. It was awful but nothing was done about it. However, kids these days could learn from a little corporeal punishment from both parents and teachers. It might do them some good.

69 Subterfuge April 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

This looks like BS. Who’s the student? You don’t actually see anyone clearly getting hit, and everyone seems to be having a good time.

70 daniel April 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I wonder if the teacher will be sent to community day school…

71 Linaa April 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My neice used to go to OGMS and my sister goes to that school rightnow. Ever since i can remember this teacher was a horrible teacher! She used to treat her class horrible for years and nobody ever spoke up about it, until now. Im glad someone finally video taped it . Imagine if you had a son or daughter, who was shy and never liked to speak up and was intimidated infront of other students. Then suddenly the teacher puts the spotlight on you, embarrasses and hits you infront of the whole classroom. That is bullying and could potentially lead to depression, suicide, etc.
Think about your actions people!

72 Arnulfo magana April 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

All you guys are stupid , this teacher is a very nice teacher ! I had her back in middle school , this is how she sometimes played around . Nothing was wrong with it ! Everyone enjoyed it ! Just because she’s not some boring teacher that just sits in her desk all day doesn’t make her a bad teacher . And come on now, do you not hear everyone laughing ? Because I’m pretty sure if she was hitting them on purpose someone would’ve hitten her back !

73 sumsocool April 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Linaa go back to school!
Looks like their having fun, students a teacher. Try walking through Oak Grove Middle to the office someday; quit a few students who need a good spanking.
What are they all laughing at?

74 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

@Matthew, Did you even look at the data?

It is sorted by total salary /benefits, so the first several pages list all the administrators and their $150,000 +/- earnings. Then comes several pages of specialists, principals, and vice principals, earning around $125,000. After that people with job titles of “teacher” start showing up at around $115,000.

As I said, the problem is not that good teachers are not well compensated, the problem is that every teacher, good or bad, hard working or lazy, gets paid the same high compensation based on their years in the job and to some extent their education.

Entity: Mt. Diablo Unified School Dist.

The very powerful California Teachers Association demands high pay for what amounts to babysitting in many classrooms. When will people wake up to the facts?

75 SAR April 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Nothing to see here folks… keep moving.

76 ANON April 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

@ Reformed by School, thank you, but no. I was going to ask you a similar question. Are you still teaching that basket weaving class at the Y??

77 Anon-realanon April 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

This video is crap. There’s no evidence here. Students are laughing. You can’t here anything else.

@California nightmare: You are very ignorant. My father is on there and spent 35 years in MDUSD. His total is $75k. It’s also not 180 days. Teachers get only a month off each year and work nights and weekends regularly. Tests don’t grade themselves and classrooms need setting up. Lesson plans need doing. He also had to buy calculators out of his own salary so students could do well.

Don’t be a donkey.

78 Howard K Mullins III April 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

There is nothing I can see on the video that shows any sort of misbehavior on the teachers part. As for the students…are they allowed to play with cell phones during class?

79 Parsnip April 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

To the few who come up with how these poor little lambs are so intimidated, shy and afraid to speak up — ride a public bus with them. There’s no teacher on the public bus. They go waaaay beyond their nervous giggles.

And be sure to carry along an urban dictionary as you try to decipher what these little darlings are saying. Those words are going to translate into ACTIONS you didn’t even know existed.

80 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

@Anon-realanon, What is your father’s name? If your father has worked for 35 years as a teacher at MDUSD, his total compensation (pay and benefits) will be over $75,000. The exception could be if he retired mid-year, in which case of course it would show something less.

Yes, if your father is a good teacher, he will no doubt work more than the 180 day, 6.5 hour per day minimum contractual requirement negotiated by the teachers union. However, there are many lazy, lousy teachers in MDUSD that do just the minimum and get a way with it year after year after year.

Retired in place, as they say.

Going through the motions with curriculum they put together years ago, they show videos day after day so they can get their grades done and posted without extra effort.

81 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

77: Yes! And your kids are doing well – solid C performers!

82 @ California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Your an idiot!!! The teachers union does not hold any power in MDUSD. The union insures due process when teachers have been targeted by incompetent administration. When have teachers got a raise? Better working conditions? More benefits? Teachers work on weekends and over the summer planning and setting up for the school year. I know because my wife is a teacher and she works more than I do for far less money. Teachers have to water down everything to appease the special ed students and parents. High standards have been replaced by social promotion. Discipline in non existent. I challenge you to go teach if you have the degree and credential. Custodians make more than starting teachers.

83 MDUSD student April 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Okay so I attended Oak Grove Middle School for all three years and my last two years there I was lucky enough to have her as my math teachers. As far as I remember her, she was very dedicated to her job and she would get attached to her students. She is the type of teacher you can go to for extra help in school and also a mentor and a friend. She teaches , she jokes around but has her limits, she does her job well. She could be a little strict but in my opinion I think she wasn’t strict enough. Students now a days need more discipline for they need to focus on school and prepare for the real world instead of their ¨SWAG¨ .

But back to the video.. First of all, she´s not ¨striking¨ any students. It looks like she´s playing around with the students. Also, you can clearly hear the rest of the students laughing as if they are having a great time and it sort of looks as if she´s smiling. So in my opinion, í don’t see any violence taking place, nothing close to violence. The video has horrible quality so how can you tell that she was hitting the student or the desk? I agree with a previous comment mentioning that this maybe was a set-up. Everyone is over exaggerating, making a big deal of nothing. She is a great teacher hands down, she teaches her students just like how she is supposed to do, she gives her students advice, she gives them a reality check on the real world so they could stop complaining about the little amount of work. Kids need to stop being so sensitive and acting like babies, no one is going to be there to babysit you guys when you get older. I say this teacher is innocent so stop making a big fuss and go do your math homework.

84 Know Your Facts April 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

@California nightmare

Stop talking about things you don’t understand, it makes you sound like a fool. You have no idea what you are talking about. Your information is way off.

If you are so worried about how much a teacher is making find the correct information. http://www.mdusd.org/personnel/Documents/Salary%20Schedules/salsched_mdea.pdf

So tell me, is your plan to get better quality teachers by paying them less?

85 P-hill lovin April 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Pretty sure it sounds like all the kids are laughing and she does this as a joke. And not really HITTING the kids, I dunno. I work and an a teacher at PHMS. I feel as a teacher it could possibly be damaging no matter what to her career. I hope on all ends that this gets resolved and is ok. But ya I for sure heat laughing not scared high schoolers

86 ANON April 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM

@ Reformed by School, awesome!!! Thanks for asking. My kids are doing so well!!! My eldest has been accepted into Berkeley into their mechanical engineering program and my other child is going abroad to teach English for a year in Malaysia……..

87 KenInConcord April 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM

One day after we won our baseball game the coach came over to our bench and gave us all a high-five……….

Wait. After talking to my attorney…..

I relized that the coach actuall slapped the living crap out of every kid on the team, even the water boy and one Cheerleader!!!!! I’m damaged by this traumatic event, only money will fix the wrong I have suffered!!!

KenInConcord

This is the new victim mentality. Get used to it!! It starts in the White House and trickles down!

88 Matthew April 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

@California nightmare
Again, I challenge you to actually look at the link you keep on posting, and to back up your claim that “many teachers are picking up over 100K” because that is simply not true.

I actually did bother to go through pages of data, and the numbers don’t lie.
The majority of teachers fall well below the 100K total compensation range.
I’m just here to point out that you’re spewing lies as fact.

89 @ MDUSD Student April 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

You had me at common sense. Please pass on my compliments to your parents for raising a mature, thoughtful and literate child.

90 FORMER OAK GROVE STUDENT April 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I had this teacher last year and she’s AN ANGEL. She’s playing around with the students and has the sweetest personality EVER. For everyone commenting about this subject, get your facts straight. I personally know the student who took this video and he’s a PUNK. This is being exaggerated and the teacher deserves an apology.

91 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Obviously I have touched a nerve with the teachers union bullies on this board.

@know your facts, the salary schedule you cite shows top salary for teachers at $82,326 – but wait – that does NOT include their benefit costs !

Do you understand that total compensation includes salary and benefit costs? And that total compensation exceeds $100,000 for many teachers, as the data I cited proves.

In answer to your question: “So tell me, is your plan to get better quality teachers by paying them less?” The answer is yes, absolutely. We can hire better teachers for less overall cost, and get MUCH better results for our kids.

First, eliminate the unions and their dues. More money in the teachers pockets. Second, Raise the entry level salary and reduce all the steps, so that we are starting teachers at $60,000 including benefits, and all increases after that are based on MERIT, like the private sector.

$60,000 for a nine month contract is not a bad rate of pay to start, and you will find THOUSANDS of qualified college graduates willing to work for that.

92 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

#84: Well said. I’m one of those AWFUL 1%. I graduated from MDUSD. I am grateful for the education and the memorable educators who helped me to grow.

I also spent wasted years as a class clown getting kicked out of class. Kids need to grow up and understand that the junk they can skate by with in class doesn’t play in the real world. I’ve passed over plenty of college educated kids who have felt entitled, and, promoted the ones who show real talent and drive – it is awesome to give a good young talent an earned and
life-changing $20,000 raise.

The dopes who are punks in school and who generally stay punks get a decent tip from me when they wax my nice Italian car.

93 Reformed by School April 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

PS…#87: GREAT!! Jibes aside, glad to hear it. My undergraduate degree is in ME and my doctorate is in Law. Your children will do you proud.

94 California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

@Matthew,

I stand by my statement that many MDUSD teachers are earning more than $100K in Salary and benefits. This is just the truth. You may not like it since it doesn’t conform to you worldview, but the facts are what they are.

You also need to understand that the teachers union negotiates the salary schedule step structure, and they want to start new teachers off at significantly lower wages than those who have been on the payroll for years. Why? Because a low entry salary advances their FALSE narrative of low teacher wages. Spokespersons for the teachers union will regularly attempt to mislead the public by citing only entry level salaries so they can claim teachers are underpaid. Wake up people.

95 Dr. Jellyfinger April 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

When I was a lad attending Oak Grove School the PE coaches used to beat me like a pinata. Snider & Robinson! What a team. They had a long wooden paddle that had a bunch of holes drilled through it & they’d line us up 2 or 3 at a time (sometimes more) tell us to assume the position & SWAT! I know we deserved it & there were no hard feelings afterwards, but DANG! it stung!

96 STAR April 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

So what… I would never want to step foot in a Middle School classroom. The real person who should be in trouble is the student with a cell phone on in class, filming!

97 Know Your Facts April 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

@California Nightmare

You are right after 31 years with assuming they have enough post grad units a teacher can make 82,000 dollars a year plus benefits. Come to think of it I too am tired of all these super rich teachers with there inflated bank accounts. I mean all they do is manage classes of 30 students for six hours a day. And at the end of the school day they just have to grade 100′s of papers and plan there lessons for the upcoming days in between all of the department and staff meetings they are required to attend. Sometimes they get 2 or 3 different classes to prepare for. If they want to do an activity with there class since the school most likely doesn’t have the money to supply the materials they need all they have to do is go to the store in there free time where they get to spend there own money. And in all the time that is left they can answer e-mails and make any phone calls that are left that day. From your previous comments I know you are an idiot so if the sarcasm didn’t come through read it again.

98 @ California nightmare April 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You do realize that some teachers are on contracts that exceed 100%. I worked as a teacher at 120% because the district could not find a qualified candidate to pick up the extra class. That 120% is only in salary (not benefits) so the district saves $$$. Teacher contracts are not 9 months… they are 10 months.

What do you do for a living? How much do you make? You do not have to answer this as my guess is you are probably overpaid in a job that does not carry the responsibilities or the importance of what our teachers do for our society. Oh and your anti – union rhetoric is getting old.

99 @ Dr. Jellyfinger April 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

You must be in your mid fifties. I had both Snider & Robinson, but they were no longer allowed to swat when I attended OG. Those were good times. Those teachers (sadly) would not survive the current crop of parents that just want to be their child’s friend. They support/defend their child’s poor behavior.

Too many parents are unaware of what it take to be a good parent.

100 Mika April 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM

OGMS is a pit. Most subs who go there never go back. The kids are rude and disrespectful to the teachers
Classrooms are chaotic. Looks like just another day at OGMS!

101 Matthew April 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

@California nightmare
You keep on posting that same link like it backs your claim. I’ve already observed the data from that link, and it does not support your claim whatsoever.

102 @California nightmare April 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM

As a middle school teacher who is neither lazy nor lousy, your comments are extremely offensive. Walk a mile in my shoes before you make judgments about me.

103 GD98 April 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM

California Nightmare didn’t do well in statistics. “Many” teachers with over 100k TCOE, is actually 42 teachers. That’s going to be a really low percentage.

For a teacher to actually make that much, they damn near have to be finished with their masters degree (which is a really nice accomplishment), and work for the district for 31 years. Most private companies would consider themselves to have a dedicated employee like that, but not Mr. Nightmare.

This guy is a joke.

104 Sinn Feiner April 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Damn that’s nothing!!! This teacher looked like she was just joking around and the students were laughing. Not sure how to take this one.

I got into a fight outside during lunch with another student when I was in 6th grade and a male teacher tackled me to the ground!!! He took me down hard too. I was a small kid then. Just skin and bones. My parents made a complaint and the teacher got spoken to but that was it. Totally got away with it. This was back in 1984 though.

105 Anon April 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM
106 99% April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

This a non-violent act. She has a smile on her face. Drop it!

107 CatWoman April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

yes, she has a smile on her face–I feel totally safe with our kids in her classroom!

108 steve April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I’m very disappointed that this is considered NEWS! The teacher is so obviously just taping the student on the shoulder. Please stop sensationalizing this. It makes KTVU look like a supermarket tabloid. I expect more than that from you. I’m very disappointed, and I’m turning to another station

109 Frivolous Lawsuit April 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Nice to know that while the kids at OGMS get free hot lunches and free after-school daycare, they still have $ for expensive video cell phones. The video shows nothing disturbing at all. Glad to see most people with common sense on this board realize this is much hysteria over nothing. I’d hate to see the taxpayers’ pocket picked over what appears to be a scam by the ESL crowd.

110 MomToBe April 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’m sorry but this is what happens when you don’t discipline your child! Remember back when we were little, not always but sometimes got spanked by our parents… I wouldn’t even Middle and High Schoolers’ Parents: do check up on your child during school day unexpectedly once awhile!! See how your child behaves in class and IF he/she even shows up to class/school!!

111 Just sayin` April 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

If you take the Summer, Winter, Spring breaks.
All the holidays.
And all of their sick leave. (which teachers use non-stop)
If you add up the hours they are teaching (and we are not counting the movies days) they are making a pretty good amount per hour.

Ever see a teacher sweat ?

Most teachers have the heater on if it`s below 70.
And the A/C on if it`s above 72 (and still complain)

Teachers are just plain spoiled

112 tony April 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hey Friv…. how does this video even get anywhere near a scam by spanish speaking students…. do you know that most likely today, the school your kids went to back in the 1940′s has students who get free hot lunches…. not just Oak Grove. And are you really insinuating that the student video taping a teacher (being playful) is an ESL student who gets free hot lunches? How would you know this?
Oh…. I know: YOU ARE A RACIST…

113 @ Tony April 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Not a racist, just a Latina woman who has no patience for kids who are foul-mouthed, threatening and verbally abusive to teachers. Have no desire for my taxpayer dollars, which should be used for education, to go towards some idiotic lawsuit brought by the parents of these delicate flowers. Also, not insinuating the kid is an ESL free hot-lunch kid, am TELLING you he/she probably is. The school stats don’t lie as to the percentages in that regard.

114 Jason L. April 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I went to Oak Grove (90-93) and I remember when kids would do things like swap a “Disney” video in for a science video so that when the teacher put the tape in the VCR, the kids ended up watching the “Disney” movie. I also remember a bunch of kids conspiring to bring a certain teacher a case of deodorant to point out that he smelled bad. I remember a sub crying in the middle of my english class because she couldn’t handle us. I remember a couple of kids that wrote a song called “Women ain’t nothing but (female dogs) and (gardening instruments)” Kids were bad then, they are bad now.

By the way, in a 7th grade english class, I remember our teacher bringing us (during class hours) to the Dome to watch Jurassic Park (we had just read the book). We walked all the way there. It was great. So it wasn’t all bad.

115 Anon2you April 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! It looks like a rolled up poster…Sounds like a blown up and possibly made up story in light of some other more serious incidents that have happened. Seems to me this was done without any intention of physical violence and more in jest. In light of recent situations though I would say this teacher just needs to be warned not to do things like this in the future…

116 Anonmom April 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have worked with the teacher in the video and can say there is no one more dedicated to her students. From the amount of laughter, I am sure there was no bullying, intimidation or abuse going on. OGMS just is what it is, no amount of extra funding, school inprovement grants will change it. The majority of the students are rude, disrespectful and just out of control. Those are problems that no amount of money will solve.

They need to remove the few students who are actually salvageable, and transfer them to other schools.

Disciplinary action needs to be taken on the student who took the video, oh wait that won’t happen. Trust me.

117 @ Anonmom April 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Well-written commentary, thank you for your insight. That is one of the saddest points of this whole drama…probably a caring teacher. doing an extremely difficult job, working with some of the toughest kids in MDUSD. No good deed ever goes unpunished as my husband always says.

118 teri April 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

The news reported that the student might get in trouble for the recording. That is not acceptable. Students should be able to record misconduct by teachers (not judging if this incident was misconduct or not).

119 GD98 April 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Good idea Teri. Let young teens determine when they need to follow the rules, I’m sure that’ll end well.

120 OGMS Mom April 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My child attends ogms and has this teacher currently. She is a wonderful caring teacher. Apparently the child filming is not getting a good grade and so now he wants her fired because he’s angry. She is clearly just messing around..no ill intentions. It bothers me that some punk kid is upset because he screws around and gets a bad grade and throws a tantrum in the way of trying to destroy this teachers life. This isn’t some game…this is a persons life. Some of the kids there need to be taught manners…we allow kids to run us way more than we should as adults. This video is ridiculous.

121 OGMS CLASS OF 2012 April 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

@MIKA TO WHOEVER WROTE THAT OGMS IS PIT OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANNA CALL US….. FIRST OF ALL YOU HAVE NO REASON TO JUDDGE US BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW THE SCHOOL. SECOND THE SUBS DONT COME BACK BECAUSE THEY THINK ITS UNCOOL. SUBS HAVE TOTALLY SAID THAT. THIRD WE MAY SUCK SOMETIMES BUT WHAT YOU SAID IS DEFINETLY NOT OKAY. WE MAY BE ONE OF THE WORST SCHOOL OR WHATEVER BUT YOU DO REALIZE THAT HALF OF US ARE READING THIS RIGHT ? WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AND THIS IS COMING FORM A 14 YEAR OLD WHO SPEND THE BEST 3 YEARS OF MY LIFE THERE. THIS TEACHER DID NOT DESERVE THIS IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. I KNOW THE KID THAT FILMED THIS AND I AM FREE TO SAY THAT HE IS A KID THAT IS JUST LOOKING FOR ATTENTION. HONESTLY AL YOU THAT WISH HER BAD ARE SERIOUSLY WRONG. YOU DONT KNOW HER SO DONT WISH BAD. SHE IS AMAZING PERSON WHO DEFINETLY DID NOT NEED THIS IN HER LIFE. I HOPE THIS KID IS THE ONE WHO GETS IN TROUBLE NOT HER. SHES AN AMAZING TEACHER.

122 Enfield303 April 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

@#122

Please use your indoor voice when talking with the adults. They will be more likely to take you serious,as you have made some good points.

123 Parsnip April 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The first thing we learned in Journalism 101: Consider the source.

Were this my blog, I’d remove it. At least until something more definitive surfaced to support the claim.

To the kid who will never be a photographer, look up this phrase and study it: Civil lawsuit.

124 Mika April 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

@122–I can see how well you wrote your post that your OGMS English teachers taught you well. NOT! Pay attention to your education, you need it. I’m sure your teachers did their best to teach you, but you were probably texting your friends during class instead of paying attention in class. And please use your indoor voice when addressing adults. P.S. See you at YV. . .

125 Fritzhugh Ludlow April 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM

In 1967 Mr. Jones the P.E. teacher used to hit all the bad kids from other classes on the butt, with a two foot long paddle!…did not do any good…they went on to YVHS to become car strippers/Acid trippers, busting heads and dropping reds.

126 Oak grove middle school 2012 April 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

@Mika Thanks for the amazing support (:
Hope you learn you manners someday (:

127 Oak grove 09 April 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Oak grove middle school is tough, as we all know. I am not blaming all the eighth graders there, I was once an eighth grader there, people called us the worst school, but not everybody is like that, because I am not like that or my friends. My sister had this teacher last year and she said that she like joking around like that but it not anything painful and that she is a decent nice teacher. I go to high school now and take a class on child development and school laws, I been in this class fpr three year and currently help with litte kids. I think she innocent, the kids are laughing not yelling or anything, and if the kid says that paper hurts, unless you got a paper cut from it, you are just weak. About 12 states in the U.S allow vp, principal and other admins to spank students with wooden paddles for punishment, try being those kids in these state, even though they are not to be super hard and the paddles need to have a certain standard like how thick the paddle mustbe in order to

128 Teacher in MDUSD April 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

As a teacher at a low-performing high school in MDUSD, trust me when I say to all of you non-teachers commenting…you wouldn’t last one day in our shoes. The kind of bad behavior we are dealing with is absolutely at an all time high. Teachers do not make 100k + a year and to suggest that is absolutely insane. Most teachers that have been teaching in the district 20 + years finally cap out at 75K. Many of us, myself included have our Master’s and that gets us a tiny bit more. In this district we are screwed on our benefits and have to pay for them. Also, unfortunately the school and district usually sides with the student. I know teachers dealing with situations where the student and parents ended up lying about things so a teacher would get in trouble. I know a teacher who was blamed for a student wigging out in the classroom because he had taken drugs. There were witnesses to this including his own friends and it was never investigated properly. Yet, the teacher was blamed for not having “proper boundaries” with the student, else how would such a thing happen?! Teachers have learned that in this district, you will always be blamed for what the students do no matter what. At our school when the classes mistreat the subs, we are blamed for it because, “we must allow our students to act like that when we are there.” Yep, we get blamed when we aren’t even in the room. It is very scary because a student can ruin a teacher’s career just by spewing a few lies. I know of a student who kept apologizing to a teacher for the lies his parents told in a meeting but the damage was done. They have made this teacher’s life a living hell ever since. Once you are on the radar for anything, good luck getting off. This teacher is great and I know others who are mistreated as well by the powers that be. This teacher at OGMS will hopefully be vindicated but even if she is, the damage is done to her reputation and how could she ever go back to work there without the scrutiny and the dark cloud that will forever follow her? People want to know why they say teachers burn out after 5-7 years of teaching? We are not appreciated, treated like crap and we put in as many hours as a lawyer does weekly and we are paid nothing. Contrary to popular belief, we are not running to our cars at 3:30pm, and in fact many of us are on campus til 6pm or later. Then we have tons of grading to do, lesson planning and are often in our classrooms on weekends. I had a friend visit me for one period once to see me teach and she said, “I didn’t do anything but sit here and observe and I am exhausted; you couldn’t pay me 100K a year to do this.” We deal with it all, the cussing, drugs, alcohol, anger issues, fights, disruptive classroom behavior, you name it. At my school subs get paid top dollar, for “combat pay,” at least that’s what they used to call it. The fact is, we teach because we love what we do and love our students. Unfortunately, we have a lot of B.S. we have to put up with in the process.

129 ANON from Oak grove April 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Oak grove middle school is tough, as we all know. I am not blaming all the eighth graders there, I was once an eighth grader there, people called us the worst school, but not everybody is like that, because I am not like that or my friends. My sister had this teacher last year and she said that she like joking around like that but it not anything painful and that she is a decent nice teacher. I go to high school now and take a class on child development and school, I learned it at school. I think she innocent, the kids are laughing not yelling or anything, and if the kid says that paper hurts, unless you got a paper cut from it, you are just weak. About 12 states in the U.S allow vp, principal and other admins to spank students with wooden paddles for punishment, try being those kids in these state, even though they are not to be super hard and the paddles need to have a certain standard like how thick the paddle must be in order to be used or else the school with get in trouble but PAPER? You got to be kidding me! And if they are doing this because they don’t like her because of grade or get in trouble from her, you should know teachers aren’t not only do this because they want to help kids, this is how they get their earnings to pay bills and for their families. Teachers don’t get reconize a lot for putting up with these things, they are not paid enough for the job they are doing compared to a doctor or lawyer. It takes a long time to become a teacher, and people don’t acually think that teachers are important, they are. They help student get the knowledge they need for the real world and prepare them as much as they can for th future generations to come when they work in the real world. There are some teacher that don’t do their work, you know the bad teachers, but if they are bad teacher because they fail you, it all on you not them, it means you need to do work more instead of socializing with others. I had my share of bad teacher, my freshman english teacher was bad, she don’t commucate well to students usually put movies on, and she once had a hangover during a class, she retired brcause she has tenure after that year. Try having her as a teacher, she didn’t cared for anyone education much she spend more time getting students in trouble rather than doing what we were suppsoe to do. Back to this teacher, she looks like she does do her teaching, im friends with many people from there and they think she was a okay teacher, I know she fooling around and not doing her teaching but once in a while teachers likes to joke just because they enjoy that class. What worse is that the whole eighth grade class is suffering for this video, she organizes all their field trips, even though she wasn’t there when I was, she came a year or two later, the field trip were always the best, we went to great america in our trip. Also when my sister had her a year ago, the teacher had a great field trip to six flags. And now these eighth graders may not have a great fied trip by her because of a group of eighth graders, the need to know their concequnces before putting a video like that and how much it will affect the class, the grade and the school.

130 Annonomous April 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

i hate herr !!!!

131 Starship April 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

@ # 131 Annonomous

That is a very strong statement!