DVC Veterans Club Sponsoring Supply Drive for Deployed Troops

April 9, 2013 16:00 pm · 9 comments

dvc

{ 9 comments }

1 Debbey April 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Our son is currently deployed in Afghanistan. One thing they’re constantly asking for is baby powder.

2 Shuley April 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I prefer the Bush/Cheney method: Haliburton sells the Gov’t these supplies at a 2000% markup.

3 Indeed April 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

@ Debbie. God Bless you and your son. Prayers he comes home safe and sound soon !

4 @Debbey, #1 April 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Likely the baby powder is to help with heat rash, which was a problem for us in the Deep South(Georgia). Better than baby powder would be either corn starch or baking SODA(not baking POWDER). Mexana medicated powder was also popular. Another name for heat rash is Jock Itch, both caused by moisture in the groin area. Shower, dry well, apply the powders to keep the area dry. Again, don’t use baking powder, because that has various salts in it, causing EXTREME pain. I know from experience.

5 Dorothy April 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Used to help the Blue Star Mom’s gather and pack stuff. They left hard candy off the list. Unscented items are good too. My sons tell me the hand/feet warmers don’t really work that well.

Costco or Sam’s Club will see me soon to get some of these things.

6 Lori April 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I will be making my donation to help out. It is pretty pathetic that with the sacrifices our men and women are making that all of this stuff isn’t readily available to them already. Thank you to all who serve.

7 Jefe April 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I didn’t see cigarettes, poker cards, or dirty mags on the list…those are basic essentials that the troops would appreciate!

8 ad April 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Islamic law prohibits cigs and dirty mags.

9 ad April 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

son will be deployed there next month. Blue Star Mom’s have been sending packages for years.