Ugly Minor Injury Crash on Kirker Pass

April 2, 2013 23:51 pm · 25 comments

crash_the new rhodesian

crash1

Believe it or not, the people involved in the collision pictured above only suffered minor injuries.

The crash occurred just before 4pm on Kirker Pass Road, near Safeway.

The cause of the Tuesday afternoon crash is still under investigation.

Thanks to “the new rhodesian” for the top picture and thanks to Thelma for the two on the bottom!

1 Mimi (original) April 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

The Safeway on Clayton @ Ygnacio is considered Kirker Pass Rd? How many of u Claycordians think of it that way? Not me!

2 Living in Claycord April 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

So it looks like this was by the entrance/exit next to Starbuck’s. I will bet someone was pulling into or out of the shopping center and was hit by some jerk doing 50 mph that blew a red light at the Clayton and Kirker Pass intersection. I see it happen all the time there and am surprised that nobody has been killed there yet. People drive like idiots on Kirker Pass and blow lights all the time.

Glad to hear that nobody was seriously hurt.

3 Anon April 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

@living at claycord stop just assuming that that is what happened. I was a witness and it was actually HER fault. She either thought she could fly across the road or didn’t see him, she bolted right infront of him and he didn’t have time to stop. So before u go and start pointing fingers maybe do your HW and get your facts right!!!!!!!

4 Does Clayton have motorcycle cops? April 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I see a motorcycle cop there, and saw one on a BMW near that area yesterday. Is that a Clayton officer?

5 Well.. April 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM

@ Mmi ( original)- Clayton Rd has always been the seperation of Ygnacio and Kirker Pass for me. Just like Contra Costa Blvd will always be the seperation of PH and Concord ( to me)

6 anon April 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

If the speed limit is 45mph there, doing 50mph is no big deal. There real issue is MORONS pulling out without LOOKING!

7 Claycordian April 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I believe That area is considered Concorde jurisdiction . But since Clayton cops don’t get too much action I’m sure they were excited to help.

8 Howard K Mullins III April 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Glad no one was seriously injured. Says something about how cars are built today. Too bad drivers have not improved much.

Concord Police Motor Officers responded to this accident.

Most people look at the street signs to ascertain specific locations, not feelings for speculation.

9 Simpleton April 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

#1 & #4 Street signs. All you have to do is look at them & read. It eliminates all the guess work. Cut loose & try it!

10 @Mimi - I think of it as Kirker Pass April 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I live in Clayton and think of it as Kirker Pass. I, too, think of Clayton Rd. as a boundary…suburban vs. countryside.

Kirker Pass is named after James Kirker, an American Army Scout and fur trapper, who led a wagon train of ’49ers to the area. Kirker also had a reputation as a scalp hunter. According to Wikipedia, it is difficult to untangle fact from folklore regarding his history.

11 Mimi (original) April 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Mea culpa! my claycordian friends! I stand corrected. Please excuse me, I’m new here, only 16 years residency locally…and obviously I live no where near the Ygnacio/Clayton Rd/Kirker Pass intersection or I would have known better! Thank you for the James Kirker information, I had never heard that.

12 anon April 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

This discussion could have been a Seinfeld episode about nothing.

13 @ anon #3 April 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Glad you saw what happened and I am sure you will be a great witness to the police and lawyers who will be trying this case. Living in Claycord was only speculating and giving his opinion of what may have happened. We still have the ability and freedom to think and speak our minds. Quit being a jerk and go have some coffee.

14 sunnymoon April 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Since when someone going 50 mph on Kirker Pass is a jerk?? It’s the idiots who pull onto Kirker Pass from Starbucks or Safeway are acting as they are Invincible. They have a higher duty of care here. No, you can’t beat a vehicle going 50 mph.

15 pablowhyustealmytaco April 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

my taco truck was blocking their view.blamo oops sorry .

16 Parsnip April 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

@Mimi (original) #11 — Street name changes are typical. In Martinez Glacier turns into Milano, which turns into Midway, which turns into Midhill, which turns into Village Oaks.

For a little variety the Cities of Martinez and Pleasant Hill decided to confuse residents by placing the city border smack down the middle of a portion of Alhambra Ave/Pleasant Hill Rd. The street is north and south in direction. But part of the west side is Martinez (Alhambra Ave), and part of the east side is Pleasant Hill (Pleasant Hill Rd).

(Which explains why it took me TEN years to get a traffic light installed at Blue Ridge Dr. One side of the street belonged to Martinez; the other to Pleasant Hill — and neither wanted to pay. It finally had to be annexed to one of the cities willing to cough up the cost. A city engineer screwed up by cluing me in to that fact.).

17 diggity April 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I could do without the editorializing in the headline and story. Just the facts please!

18 Anon April 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I am glad no one was hurt no matter who was at fault.

19 Cowellian April 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The headline looks pretty factual to me.

20 Parsnip April 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

@Cowellian — I love these editor wannabes. But It’s especially funny when they post drivel that makes absolutely no sense: “I could do without the editorializing …”. What editorializing?

21 pablowhyustealmytaco April 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Me sorry me moovs taco truck next times no bueno

22 just me April 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It looks like both Clayton and Concord PD were on scene. The shopping center falls in Clayton boundries while Kirker is part of Concord. Also add in the fact that Concord PD dispatches Clayton PD they will send the officers who are closest to the scene.

As someone else noted the motorcycle looks different, not the normal ones Concord uses. I know in the past I have scene Clayton PD on a dirt bike working trails and some traffic but it’s been a few years.

23 The New Rhodesian April 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Glad to hear they were not badly injured.

24 ?????? April 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Clayton has a female motorcop? cool…

25 anon April 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

and concord has a female head of jail, i’m told. dont you love it..the surprise some of the scumbags get when theyre pulled in.
i was also at the scene. witnesses say the green car was turning left from kirker pass into the shopping center. the orange truck was sitting at the red on ygnacio valley at clayton, the light had just turned green, so in that small distance he couldnt have gained that much speed. witnesses say she pulled right out in front of him. its hard to see but his truck is on its side in front of the ambulance. was said he climbed out and was ok.
they say left hand turns are the cause of most accidents.