Claycord.com Beats Google By Three Years With April Fool’s Day Joke

March 31, 2013 20:02 pm · 24 comments

Claycord.com is known for being first when it comes to news in Contra Costa County, but now, as many long-time readers have pointed out, Claycord also came first with an April Fool’s Day joke that’s now getting Worldwide attention.

Google announced over the weekend that they’ve created Google Nose, which allows you to smell scents through your computer. This is obviously an April Fool’s Day Joke, and if it sounds familiar to long-time readers of Claycord, it should, because this same April Fool’s Day joke was published on Claycord.com on April 1, 2010.

Here’s the story from Claycord in 2010. Enjoy!

This is amazing. This one man & his invention could put Concord on the map for something other than the Spirit Poles and the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

John Rogers, who just happens to be a Concord native & Clayton Valley High School graduate, has created a new computer program, which allows you to smell different scents over the internet.

The following is a press release from CLSV Marketing, Inc. regarding the new invention….

BAY AREA RESIDENT ANNOUNCES NEW “SMELL SCREEN”

Groundbreaking invention will let you smell through your computer

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif – March 31, 2010 – CLSV Marketing, Inc. (nasdaq: CLSV) today announced new technology, created by Bay Area native and Silicon Valley Pioneer John Rogers, which will enable you to smell pictures on your computer screen.

“It was created on a whim”, said Rogers, who also serves as Vice-President of ABA Technologies, a Cupertino based company that distributes netbooks to non-profits throughout the Bay Area.

“This technology will not only let you smell the fresh scent of a flower without stepping outside, but it will also let you experience the wonders of the Brazilian Rainforest, the African Desert & the Fresh Pineapple of Hawaii, and the only thing your required to do is put your nose to the computer screen”, Rogers said during a press conference in San Francisco late this evening.

The downloadable program, which was distributed this week, is available free of charge to website administrators until May 3, 2010. Currently, the technology is being rolled out in four phases, with the western United States being first, and the South East being last.

Scroll up, lean over and smell the rose pictured above, it’s almost like you’re standing in a garden full of fresh flowers.

Thanks to CLSV Marketing, Inc. for the information!

1 Cowellian March 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

You’ve had some fun ones.

2 Schmee March 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Sorry google did it better …

3 anon March 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM

🙂

4 anon March 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Claycord is always first and those other guys are just #2.

5 CLAYCORD.com March 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Because Google has a zillion dollars and probably 50 people working on it, of course they did it better.

6 Parsnip March 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Nope. That didn’t work on me. I KNEW the screen was actually onion-scented.

7 Pffffft!!!! March 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Google did it better!???? PFFFT! Claycord did it FIRST!
Google stole the idea then “added” to it!

8 CLAYCORD.com March 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM

@Pfffffft!!!! – Thanks 🙂

9 Shasta Daisy March 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

CLAYCORD.com…….No one does it better!!!!!

10 Mimi (original) March 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Bwwwhhhhhaaaahahaha!!

11 Original G March 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Wonder where Google got the idea?

12 Mad Mom March 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I remember the prank! Priceless. Nobody does it like Claycord!

13 Jerk March 31, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yep, No doubt the creators of Vulva Original got their idea from Claycord 🙂

14 TinFoiler March 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

No Google for me, I use Bing. I don’t need government Google spying on my every internet search (plus they are now CENSORING stuff). And Besides all that – Claycord is way more valuable concerning things happening around Claycord – which google can’t do.

15 I just don't get this. March 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM

My dad used to tell me smell-o-vision was installed on the TV. This isn’t original.

@tin(#14) Do you think Bing isn’t monitoring you? It’s owned by Microsoft. They are as invasive, if not more invasive than google. If you buy a PC, whose operating system comes installed on your computer without asking you? Microsoft owns X-box. You might not have one, but if we are talking big-brother here, Microsoft is at least equal to Google in that category. Also the monitoring is used to cater advertisements that better fit your interests. This customization makes their advertising process useful to companies, and encourages them to advertise to Bing. They monitor what you search.

As for your comment about Claycord being better at local news than Google you are spot on.

16 @#14 March 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Sorry if that came off strong, I had a roommate who came to the same conclusion, while using a Microsoft operating system, a windows phone and an Xbox. Be aware of who owns what when it comes to media. You’d be surprised.

17 The Phantom March 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM

The Google flower smelled like a scratch and sniff advertisement, not a real flower, and the Rogers flower smelled like patchouli oil.

At least to me anyway.

The only time I like it is when there’s a picture of spaghetti.

18 What_Else_Is_NewS April 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I HATE APRIL FOOLS DAY!!!
HAAAAAATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!

19 CatM April 1, 2013 at 5:21 AM

I agree with @Pfffffft!!!! – Thank You!

20 Annon from Antioch April 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Got me 🙁 SMH I feel stupid.

21 David April 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Transmitting smell through the internet is not completely fake.

There was a product in 2001 that was trying to take advantage of the .com free flow of investor money by inventing a small device that would mix primary scents, like colors, into an array of different odors. Then from a remote location you would be able to send commands to this device to product the desired odor. Or undesired too, I suppose.

Last I heard a Japanese company bought the rights to this and has continued development.

22 jtkatec April 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Hey, when I got my nose close to the screen, I got zapped by static electricity!

Hey, that’s dangerous, I’m suing.

23 Ronanon April 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

It was in actuality done with the feature length movie Hair Spray. They handed out these scatch in sniffs that you were prompted to activate during
the desired scene.