UPDATE: House Fire on Pleasant Hill Road

March 30, 2013 · 30 comments

fire_craig

fire_luke

Firefighters are fighting a house fire at 1949 Pleasant Hill Road in the City of Pleasant Hill.

The blaze started at about 4:30 in the garage of the home and extended into the attic, according to ConFIRE.

No injuries have been reported, and all occupants are out of the house.

UPDATE, 4:45pm: Smoke can be seen from miles away, but it seems as though firefighters are getting a handle on the blaze.

UPDATE, 4:55pm: ConFIRE tells Claycord.com the fire has been extinguished, and nobody was injured.

Big thanks to Craig Cannon for the picture on top and Luke for the picture on the bottom!

UPDATE: More pictures (below). Thanks to Brian Dinsmore, KPIX 5 for the pictures!

smoke1 smoke2 smoke3 smoke4

1 Original G March 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Glad to hear everyone is OK,
Couple of things come to mind, know how much things like an old fridge or freezer moved to the garage “draw”, how many amps they need when their compressor motor turns and they run. Try to keep them on their own circuit if possible.
One other thing outlets do wear out. IF you have one in the garage that the plug feels loose in get it replaced by a qualified person. Loose or bad connections generate heat.

Question, what about putting smoke detectors in a garage? Anybody done it?

2 russ March 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Interesting comments, Original G. People put fridges in the garage without thinking how many amps the appliance requires. I guess that most of us think that just because there is a plug in the garage, most anything can be inserted into it. Also good point about a smoke detector in the garage; never thought about it. Thanks for bringing up good points.

3 anon March 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Whew good thing we passed the parcel tax of $75 per year to keep these guys around.

4 Anonymous March 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Pleasant Hill Road is still blocked off as of 6:30 pm.

Besides refrigerators/freezers, lots of residents keep their washers and dryers in the garage. Does anyone know the cause of the fire?

5 Anon PH March 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

There were two Pleasant Hill police cars blocking the entire road, and there was a Fire Chief vehicle, and four Fire Trucks with full crew.

Sad about the fire, as it gutted most of the garage up to the roof, and spread to the living space. They knocked it down pretty fast, but it was still smoldering a bit. Fire crew was doing the mop up and cutting sections out to find any hot spots. The smell, even though the fire was relatively contained in the garage…the entire house has smoke and water damage. The homeowner won’t be living there for some time.
Thank you Pleasant Hill PD and the Con Fire.

6 uh huh March 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

@OriginalG, There are some people that say Yes to puting smoke detectors in a garage(I have one in my garage) and some say no due to Dryers in a garage can set them off. I would rather have one go off falsley(is that even spelled right???) then to have a fire start and spread quickly and me not even know. That was a question that came up at The CERT class that I took and there were mixed opinions.

7 @ anon March 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Your sarcasm is appropiate and brings back the reality of the situation. People want other qualified & highly trained emergency responders to come to their aid when they are in need, yet people don’t want to pay for these services APPROPIATELY. Makes you wonder….

8 California nightmare March 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

@@anon – you gotta be kidding. The firefighters union has ripped off the taxpayers for the last 20 years with huge salaries, pensions, and overtime.

When you have thousands of qualified an over-qualified applicants waiting in line for hours to turn in their applications to become firefighters, you know it is a sweet deal.

It is time to turn over the firefighting responsibilities and budget over to the police department. If Fire worked the same hours at the same pay as PD, costs would drop by 30% and more police and fire could be hired.

9 Original G March 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Dryers, Ah yes, mine is inside and has a vent up thru the attic an thru the roof. Last year noticed what I thought was nest building materials from birds on the roof, went up and lint had built up in dryer vent pipe. Went down an picked up sump pump hose, it’s flexible an corrugated and amount in package reached all the way to bottom of vent pipe.. Took top off vent pipe, turned on dryer an put hose down the vent pipe. After a few minutes of up an down the corrugated hose had the vent clear, roof looked like it had snowed and I needed a shower. Wear eye protection.

One more thing on fridges and freezers try NOT to use an extension cord.
If you do keep it short and no smaller than 12 AWG wire.
Wire sizes, smaller the number the bigger the wire is.
So 12 AWG is bigger than 14 AWG.

10 Duck March 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Wait until all of the indoor pot growers get rolling.
You will be hearing of a lot more “home” fires.

11 Stinky and soaked March 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Want to give a big thanks to the firefighters. They approached me about anything that was inside that they could salvage. I couldn’t think straight but my laptop and desktop came to mind (video of my daughter and such on the hard drive that would’ve been lost forever). Next thing you know…out they come with my computers and valuables.
Good group of guys.
I was sitting at my desktop and all the sudden the screen went black…then I heard a big BOOM! I came out of my room and went to the door that leads to the garage from the kitchen – my instincts told me DO NOT open the door. The smoke pouring through the cracks of the door and making it almost impossible to breathe at that point was my cue to GET OUT. Dogs are okay, Dad is okay. That’s really all that matters.

12 Stinky and soaked March 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM

In response to the comments – the washer and dryer were in the garage.

13 i saw it all March 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Looked as though everyone got out safely. Saw them getting their belongings all out tonight, Doesnt look like the rest of the house is salvagable

14 Master Green Thumb March 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Now that Concord has banned outdoor medical marijuana growing, don’t be surprised when house fires happen daily. Great choice Concord! The city council needs to do some actual research before they are so quick to ban our rights as prop 215 patients, when the grow rooms burn down because of inexperienced indoor growers, don’t say we never told you so…..

15 @14 March 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Just talking about that issue today everyone who was growing will move indoor and the fires will take off. It was one of the more stupid things the city has done. They have put us all at risk over a single homeowner complaint.

16 Parsnip March 31, 2013 at 5:48 AM

To those providing good and valuable insight: Thanks! I am especially afraid of anything “electricity-related.” I’m going to start with the suggestion by #1 and have an electrician review the outlets. A smoke detector will be put in the garage. Every summer I worry about the grassy hillside behind my house. It’s best to work from the inside out.

To the useless comments: Nothing but typical garbage from those who’ve nothing to pay for and nothing to lose. The subject is too complicated for you. Back to your Xboxes and cell phones.

17 Anon March 31, 2013 at 7:04 AM

What’s up with the firefighter in the blue jeans and different helmet? Confire said they were thinking about using more reserves is he one? Aren’t white helmets usually chiefs?

18 CPD Volunteer March 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM

#1 / #6
Regarding smoke detectors in the garage (spoken as a homeowner in Claycord, not as CPD Volunteer nor CERT Team Captain of my neighborhood).

We have HEAT detectors in the garage and in the stand-up crawl space under the house (where the water heater is). We also have HEAT detectors in the kitchen and family room (where the fireplace is). They are monitored 24x7x365 by the alarm company. This is one solution for where smoke can be present but does not represent a fire as these detectors are set off by HEAT from a fire, not SMOKE.

19 Richard March 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM

California nightmare–Are you really that simple minded or is it a cover?

20 @ 8 March 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yea. Why don’t you spearhead that and get it started. What? You want someone else to do it. Besides it’s a dumb ass idea and shows you don’t know how the police dept operates.

21 Well.. March 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

@ Stinky and Soaked- I am glad you all made it out safe. I had a friend that lost everything in a house fire. The only that survived was the cordless phone in her hand. Hopefully your insurance gets the ball moving quickly and you can rebuild.

To all complaining about growers having to move inside to grow. If your illness is legit, You would be buying from a dispensory. No issues with your house burning down then.

22 Tahoe March 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

In response to all comments- Stinky and Soaked is a friend of mine and I’m glad everyone is OK. How about holding off on speculation as to the cause or contributing factors of the fire. The original topic here was that my friend lost their house to a fire, not firefighters unions, marijuana growers, overloaded/old electrical…we will know the cause in due time. Lets maybe try to find out how to help. I’m sure people posting and reading these comments have good ideas on how to help out Stinky and Soaked. I appreciate the tangents… just trying to stay focused.

23 Kirkwood March 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Many years ago I tried a smoke detector in the garage. It went off whenever I started the car. I don’t know if it was an ionization or particle type (or both).

24 CPD Volunteer March 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

More information about HEAT detectors if anyone is interested.

As I posted earlier in #18, I have 4 monitored HEAT detectors in the house and 4 smoke detectors (3 monitored, 1 local already present when I bought the house).

I added the 4th HEAT detector and 4th SMOKE detector after there was a 2-alarm fire in the neighborhood several months ago … I figure that I’ll be proactive as much as possible for an early notification after I saw how quickly that fire spread.

25 bet you wouldnt be biting if it was your house March 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@california nightmare—I bet you wouldn’t be complaining if it was your house that the firemen were saving. Im just glad everyone and the animals got out safely.

26 Julio-Antioch March 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

California Nightmare. Have you looked at the salaries of the police since you want police to take over the fire dept. Police make a whole H*** of a lot of money. Retirement with benefits some make over $400,000. Try looking at the CCT salaries and retirements posted on line. They are accurate and provided by the cities, counties and departments themselves.

27 Stinky and soaked March 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don’t know if anyone is still reading this…but I wanted to add a couple of things about my experience. My dad bought that house about twenty years ago after my parents divorced. I like the neighborhood, the streets a little busy, but I’ve always lived on a busy street.
One thing that stands out about yesterday (besides the fact that my house burned down) were ALL the people. Strangers.
The couple that lives to the left of me I have known since we moved in. As usual, they were when I needed them and it’s just that way with us. I met a few people yesterday some houses down that were very eager to help in any way – thank you! My generation is NOT “Leave it to Beaver” (I’m not THAT OLD – ha!). My point is, the milkman, every-body-knows-everyone thing, is at best, folklore in my opinion. While you won’t find me doing yoga in my front yard to Britney Spears – I’m approachable and friendly.
As a civilized society, we as humans, all desire a sense of community. People looking out for one another who know each others names…all that good stuff that comprises the spiritual side of “property value”. So wave or say hi next time you walk by with your dog or your children. :o)
Another thing I would like to point out – maybe people know this…SCAMMERS. Businesses that exploit/profit off of people in the event of disaster. They were there too, as a result, I found myself extremely vulnerable under the circumstances. It’s difficult to think clearly and/or decipher who is helping for helps sake or who is “helping” under a guise to financially exploit you. It’s like the nice man that came to board up the house said, “Not every one is bad, but watch out for the ones that try and get you to sign stuff right off the bat”.
Hopefully you won’t find yourself in a similar situation – but if you do – heed CAUTION.
* LOVE love love the Claycord (and the comments section).
Happy Easter!

28 Well.. March 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@ S&S #27- When my friends house burned down, everything she did was thru the Red Cross. If you even suspect someone is trying to cheat you, go to the RC.

29 Original G March 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Kirkwood Thank You, you are right smoke detector looks for products of combustion and they ARE called internal combustion engines. Did some checking and Home Depot sells heat detectors but only online with a trigger point of 135 degrees with Rate-of-Rise Alarm about $25. Ace has them online only for about $9 more.

30 @ Julio from Antioch March 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

You are clearly tweaking the information you find online to help fuel your propaganda about the pay for emergency responders. When you factor in anyone’s benefits it will make their take home look like a windfall also compared to what really comes home in the paycheck they have to live on!!! And did you know many emergency personnel have to, that is REQUIRED to, pay huge amounts from their own paychecks into that “lucrative” retirement you speak of. Why don’t you try putting up to 40% of your pay towards your own retirement! Look it up. The info is there but people skew it to cause a controversy. I’m sure you don’t understand. Hey, let’s talk about the 6 figure salary musicians of the SF symphony are unhappy with and are striking to hold out for more pay. Now that’s something to compare! God forbid symphony musicians aren’t able to live off their pay for work that is not life threatening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!