Business Owners Beware! Fake $100 Bills Making the Rounds in Claycord

February 27, 2013 10:42 am · 19 comments

We’re getting a few reports of counterfeit money being used in Claycord.

If you’re a business owner, or even a person who’s getting money back from a store, check the bills before you or the customers leave, because they could be fake, especially large bills.

One of the emails we received was a tip from an employee at Benihana in Concord, who said a couple used a fake $100 bill to pay for their dinner on Sunday night.

Beware!

1 J. February 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Beware during craigslist.org transactions too.

Hold the bills up to the light and look for a security-thread.

2 Howard K. Mullins III February 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This happens with some regularity. Hope no one gets the phony money.

3 Mike troll February 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

ive gotten fake bills from check cashing places in the past n have learned to always check bills now

4 concord99 February 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

#3 Mike:

That’s what happens when you go to sketchy places like that. I hope you didn’t lose any money.

5 Living in Claycord February 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Along with the security thread, check that the watermark image on the right side matches the person on the front of the bill. It is a common practice to wash the ink off of a lower denomination bill and re-print it as a higher denomination bill. $5 bill printed over to make it a $100 bill is common practice. Doing this allows the forger or passer to have a bill that shows up as OK cif Chou only use the pen that checks for correct paper.

6 Living in Claycord February 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Sorry, stupid iPad made “you” into “Chou”.

7 Subterfuge February 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

That’s why I don’t accept anything larger than a $3.00 dollar bill.

8 Jeff Foxworthy February 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM

When somebody gives me a fake $100 I give them a $30, a $25, and a couple of $3 bills back in change.

9 Anon2you February 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Who can afford $100 bills…If I have a couple $20’s at my disposal I am happy happy happy…

10 Palermo February 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

This happened to my friend in Martinez a few weeks ago. She tried to deposit one at the bank and they confiscated it. They are definitely making the rounds right now.

11 Incognito February 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Unfortunately, it’s not just $100’s making their rounds, it’s lower denominations, too.

12 Gus February 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Stupid to try and pass it to a waiter, they would remember you down to your shoes as the people that dropped 100 dollars on them, not to mention Benihana’s where the cook sees you for thirty minutes. Secret Service is already interviewing with a sketch artist I’ll bet. Caught in 1 week. Dubass move.

13 Bubba February 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

They are easy to spot as they have the picture of Alfred E. Newman on the front and instead of In God we trust, is says “What, me worry ?”.

14 Ancient Mariner February 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

A few years ago a guy went into a Taco Bell in a mall and tried to pay with a $2 bill. The checker called mall security and tried to have him arrested for passing counterfeit money. She didn’t know there was such a thing as a $2 bill!

15 Two dollar bill February 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Isn’t that called a twenty today?

16 Mimi (original) February 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

@Ancient Mariner-this totally cracked me up! Amazing how many people don’t know the $2 bill is legitimate. It was a foolish idea though, you have to agree.

17 Recovering February 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

The 2 dollar bill was made from the leftover paper from 1 and 5 dollar printing- before they changed the paper… That was back when the value of the bill was determined by how the paper was made. According to what my in laws told me, she used to work for them

18 Matt Peterson February 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I have a fake $10 bill hanging on my bulletin board. Got it as change at the Solano Drive-in flea market a year or two ago.

19 Man In Tan February 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ditto what Living in Claycord said. The pens are absolutely worthless when you mark a bleached $5 bill that has been printed over as a c-note. Check the watermark and you want to see Benjamin not Abe!