Claycord Online Museum – Mt. Diablo Elementary Class Picture from ’59-’60

February 26, 2013 14:10 pm · 37 comments

mtd59605thquincy

Here’s a 1959-1960 class photo from Mt. Diablo Elementary School in Clayton.

Anybody know any of these former students, who are now in their 60’s?

Thanks to Nat & Roger who run the website http://cvhs67.org/ for the picture!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items

1 Howard K. Mullins III February 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

We all sure looked a lot different back then.

Fun to see all the changes.

2 Howard K. Mullins III February 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Comparing an old photo of myself, I look most like Ross.

3 eee February 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

What is up with Dan?? lol

4 CLAYCORD.com February 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Poor Dan. Nobody knew his last name, lol.

5 RunnerDope February 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

If I remember correctly, Mark Hafner was on the CVHS cross-country and track teams. He was a couple years older than me, probably graduated in ’67.

6 RunnerDope February 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

> Comparing an old photo of myself, I look most like Ross.

That’s fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

7 Anon February 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Who is the man to right of Mrs. Quincy? The principal?

8 JET February 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I believe that Sue Nystrom is the woman that died in a car accident with her new husband on her honeymoon (my Mom was friends with her), but I’m not sure if that is her name, but I think so?? Very sad.

9 Anon February 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I wondwer if any of these poor kids had to serve in Vietnam…they are about the right age, that when they graduated high school we would have been deep into that war…weird to look at all their young faces and think that’s all gone…a bygone time….they look like any kids today…so excited…now they have already grown up and probably retired…time is an amazing event

10 matt February 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yes the man in the picture was the Principle ,,Mr.Hanson Great Guy!!

11 matt February 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I have tons of old pictures

12 WHAT SECURITY February 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Cute kids, It is a shame those days of respect for the teachers and adults are long gone for the masses,..

13 Han Solo February 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

And then there was this guy named Dan. We just called him Dan.

14 The Dude February 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

65% boys and 35% Girls? Where are all the girls? And what about the fat kids, where are they?

15 Cap'n Nick February 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I guess Dan was some kind of pop star or something? Maybe witness protection? Fascinating stuff.

16 Claytonian February 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Dan became a lieutenant in the army and fought in Vietnam. He lost his legs there and had a down period. He met a guy named Forest and they did some shrimping together. Later Dan invests his money in a little-known company called “Apple” makes millions, marries a trophy wife and lives happily ever-after.

The End

17 Richards Family February 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Mayor, lol
That’s the first thing I thought, Poor Dan…great pictures

18 CLAYCORD.com February 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

LOL, Claytonian. That was great.

Mayor

19 LostBoysMom February 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Mrs Quincy was at Walnut Acres for a while when I went there a few years after this.

20 J. February 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Marty Plaisted grew up, and changed his name to William “Bill” Shinn

21 Russ Shackleford February 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

While I don’t know him personally, Bruce Ajari used to write the fishing column for the North Lake Tahoe/Truckee newspapers. He still lives in Truckee, and is a Bay Area native, so I have no doubts that is him.

22 anon February 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I had tom lockyer for history at concord high

23 J. February 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Sue Nystrom did die in a car wreck on her Honeymoon. Check out the story here on CLAYCORD.com:

24 Tal February 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I have all my class pictures from Ayers School, from the later 60’s, they look just like this one, except mine didn’t have the kid’s names on them, my dad wrote them down for me on the picture..I wish they had included the names..some of them I don’t have last names either. Poor Dan…LOL

25 Sue February 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I love the comments, especially about poor Dan. He was in my class too, but I do not remember him at all. I’m the cute little girl on the right side of the photo of the school. :-) Yes, Mark Hafner graduated in ’67, Sue Nystrom was in an accident and died, returning home from her honeymoon that summer that we graduated, I belive her new husband did survice, don’t know what happened after that. As for me, I am retired and living in TN for 3 yrs now. Some may remember my brothers, Gerry Cross (’63), Gene Cross (’64), and Dale Cross (’66), I was class of ’67, then we have a sister, Kathy who was a freshman at CVHS (’74-’75) but moved to Antioch after that year. Gerry died in 2009, but the rest of the siblings are alive and well and still in the Bay Area.

26 Mr Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Awesome pic. I began kindergarten at Mt. Diablo in 1970. My kindergarten through 2nd grade pics all look like this; black and white, same haircuts, etc. Weird how we always visualize the past in black and white. Wish I could go back in time and live in that black and white world.

27 DanMtz February 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Love these old pictures, please keep them coming.

28 Chester E. Kitty February 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

@Sue … is your brother Dale married to Jeri-Lynn?

These kids are all so cute!! The 50s … must have been one of the best decades!!!!! I didn’t come along until the 60s. And I know I had a blast growing up in the 60s too!!

29 eddie February 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I was born in 56 in Concord. If any of you remember me say something! Loved to see who’s on here!
-Eddie Ruiz

30 dmr February 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM

@Chester….yes my Uncle Dale is married to Jeri-Lynn :)

31 bluebird February 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM

@ Sue, Love the bangs! I remember my Mom would “trim” my bangs that short and I wanted them longer. Also, she would curl my hair with pin curls. How 50’s is that?!?

32 Antler February 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM

It feels a little funny to look at a class picture, catch oneself starting to think “Oh, look! There’s……” and then realize I had only just moved to Concord that year and didn’t know a single child there. What a bright, alert group!

And I notice the class has 28 students. Concord only had a population of 29,000 back then, so was that the only 5th grade at Mt. Diablo?

33 LoveIt February 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I love these old pictures. Doesn’t seem like that long ago. I wasn’t born until the 60’s, but I remember the old style. My mom would always cut my hair in a bob with bangs and I hated it. I wanted long hair. When I did have long hair it was pinned back or tied up in pony tails with fat multi-colored yarn bows. Back in those days, us girls had to wear skirts or dresses every day. Most of us were very well groomed and well behaved. There were very few badly behaved kids in our classes back then. From a young age we were taught manners and how to behave. We respected our parents and all elders. I wish that we would go back to some of our old ways so that today’s kids wouldn’t be so lost and would have better manners and morals. These old pics bring back so many memories. It sad that the little girl in the picture grew up and died on her honeymoon. Very tragic.

34 joanne February 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Thanks for the walk back to memory lane. Although I did not attend Ayers Elementary or Mt. Diablo High School, my cousins David Terra attended Mt Diablo (1967) and as well as his older brother Richard , Robert , Don and younger sisters Linda and Sherill
Anyone remember them?

35 Wolfman February 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I went to Ayers, Started 61-62. Tim Cusick was my next door nieghber, Larry Kanagaki lived around the corner. My older sister was in kindergarden 60 61. Good memorys.

36 Nat February 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Tom Lockyer recently retired from being superintendent of a Washington (state) school district. Last I heard Mark Hafner was a professor at LSU. Check out http://cvhs67.org for other elementary “yearbook” photos like this that fed into the class of ’67 at CVHS. There you can click on a “Senior” class photo with names and links to biographies (if they were submitted) and other class nostalgia.
– Nat

37 Anon2you February 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Tom Lockyer, why does that name sound familiar…Wasn’t he Vice Governor of California? Who am I thinking of?

LOL @ (Just plain old) Dan…