Former Ayers Principal Promoted to Deputy Superintendent for the CoCo County Office of Education

February 25, 2013 18:00 pm · 16 comments

Contra Costa County Superintendent of Schools Joseph A. Ovick, Ed.D., recently promoted Karen Sakata as the new Deputy Superintendent for the Contra Costa County Office of Education (CCCOE). Sakata brings more than 38 years of experience as an education administrator and teacher to her new position as the CCCOE’s second-in-command.

Recently, Sakata had been serving as the CCCOE’S Associate Superintendent, human resources, a position she transferred to after working as the agency’s Associate Superintendent, student and program services, from 2008 to 2010.

Before joining the CCCOE, she was the Principal of Ayers Elementary School, in Concord ( Mt. Diablo Unified School District ). Prior to her principal position, Sakata worked primarily as a special education program specialist, special education teacher, and administrator in the Mt. Diablo Unified School District . Her teaching positions included serving as a special education teacher, speech and language pathologist, resource specialist, and an early childhood specialist.

“With her wealth of experience in education and numerous successful accomplishments in the classroom and in administration here in Contra Costa, we are quite excited about Karen taking on this new position,” reports Dr. Ovick. “Karen is a dynamic leader who is passionate about life-long learning. Our students, educators, and administrators will certainly benefit from her guidance.”

Under the direction of Contra Costa County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Ovick, Sakata will be directing day-to-day activities of the CCCOE; analyze County Office issues and provide recommendations to the superintendent concerning appropriate course of action; serve as the superintendent in the absence of the administrator; and review, analyze, and sign documents and contracts on behalf of the superintendent. In addition, Sakata will continue her role in directing the CCCOE’s human resources department.

Sakata holds an M.A. in speech pathology from San Jose State University and a B.A. in psychology from the University of California Berkeley. In addition, she has earned a number of education-related certifications, credentials, and licenses.

{ 16 comments }

1 Randome Task February 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM

golf clap………..

2 Jojo Potato February 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM

What’s the employment numbers? What’s her salary, what’s her pension plan and much is she contributing to it? I think every public employee should have all these things announced when they are hired. It’s our money after all.

3 AnotherAnon February 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

“Her teaching positions included serving as a special education teacher, speech and language pathologist, resource specialist, and an early childhood specialist.”
*****************************************************************

“With her wealth of experience” sounds like a euphemism for “can’t hole a job”.

4 The Theorist February 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

How does the old axiom go?
Those who can, do; those who can not, get promoted and move higher up the bureaucratic hierarchy.

5 Jojo Potato February 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

@The Theorist – another way the expression goes is like this:

Those that can’t (do) teach
Those who can’t teach, teach teachers.

Enjoy.

6 Slugga February 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

@Jojo

Ah, the classics never go out of style.

P.S. You wouldn’t survive in the classroom for a week.

7 Anonymous February 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Old Joe has promoted some people for shall we say, interesting reasons.

8 Scoob February 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

The CC County Office of Education is a big building on Oak Park Blvd. in PHill. Contra Costa is a relatively big one because our county has a lot of schools. Superintendent Joe Ovick is a good Superintendent who we recently re-elected. The COE provides education services that school districts cannot do themselves, and is an important part of our communities. I’m sure Ms. Sakata is an exceptional educator.

9 CatWoman February 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

@Jojo Potato
It really does make sense if you wrap it in plywood and consider the theory of tom foolery.

10 Jojo Potato February 26, 2013 at 6:15 AM

@Slugga – about 35 years ago, I was a High School math teacher. But that was in Ghana (Peace Corps) where the students were polite, well behaved and motivated. They would only complain if I started to drift off topic. “Non sylabic, sir” was the expression. I did last a couple very enjoyable years there, normal tour of duty, but those were different times in a different place. :-)

11 SK February 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

@Scoob, “Old Joe” is NOT a good superintendent. He’s a SLIME BALL.

However, promoting Karen Sakata is one of the good things Joe has done. You are correct when you say that Ms. Sakata is an exceptional educator. She will do well in this position and hopefully will run for Superintendent when Joe finally retires, which can’t come soon enough.

It sure is interesting how many people post comments when they know absolutely NOTHING about the people involved. Standard operating practice on this blog, I know. But it isn’t like Karen committed a crime; she just got a well-deserved promotion!

12 School Observer February 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I don’t know anything about Karen Sakata, but Joe Orvick is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The children of Contra Costa County deserve better. Let’s hope he gets the boot in the next election.

13 Elsie Davis February 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I worked at Ayers briefly when she was principal. She seemed really unfriendly and a little stuck up.

14 Anonymous February 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Ms. Sakata was my principal at Ayers when I attended…over 15 years ago….she was great then and I’m sure she’ll do a fine job now. Congratultaions Ms. Sakata : )

15 Omar February 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Ms. Sakata was my principal at Ayers as well. Over 15 years ago. I remember about 17 or 18 years ago she gave me a detention for something I never did lol. Some kid said I flipped him off when I never did, and I got called in to her office and got a detention :( anyways..I know she was just doing her job. She’s a great lady and I’m sure she deserves the promotion. Good Luck Ms. Sakata.

Omar

16 Danny February 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Man, I was always in her office in trouble as a young kid. She was always a nice understanding lady. I’m glad to see she’s still in the school system, doing her part.