Mail Thief Caught Red-Handed Near Pine Hollow Road in Concord

February 16, 2013 9:49 am · 64 comments

A Claycord mail thief was caught red-handed, but unfortunately, he hasn’t been arrested, yet.

The following note came from a Claycordian who lives off Pine Hollow Road….

Our Claycord neighborhood was hit by a mail thief on Friday morning and fortunately he was not only witnessed and confronted, but his face was caught very clearly on a surveillance camera.

My husband and neighbor were coming back from coffee about 9:30am. When they pulled into our driveway, they spotted a kid about 16-18 years old at our mailbox with mail on the ground. This was mail he had previously picked up from Paso Del Rio and Discovery Way, as ours hadn’t been delivered yet.

As soon as the kid realized he’d been spotted, he bolted on his BMX bike. My husband and friend followed him and were able to corner him on a nearby court. A load of mail he had stuffed into his sweatshirt dropped onto the street and he gave a lame story about why he had it. As a third neighbor approached, the kid bolted on his bike toward Pine Hollow, leaving the mail in the street.

The police came and took a report with a description of the kid – mixed race, short dark hair and dark eyes, with no identifying traits (no tattoos, piercings, unusual facial features or accent, etc.).

The police took the mail for redistribution.

Later in the day, we learned the kid had been caught on a neighbor’s surveillance camera, with a clear shot of his face, as well as details of his BMX bike. It also showed his sweatshirt/hoodie stuffed with what was probably the big load of mail. I’m hoping we can get a photo of this scumbag to be posted on Claycord.

If we’re able to get a hold of a picture, and it’s ok’d for release by the police, then we’ll definitely post it on Claycord.com.

1 VM February 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Nice work neighbors! I’ve seen several “kids” (teens/early 20’s) riding BMX bikes around lately….some in pairs some not. Time to get a P.O. box!

2 NRA #1 fan and member February 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Don’t let me catch him, I’ll chop his finger off.

3 Omar February 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

“This scumbag” ?? lol Seriously?

He’s just a kid. Maybe he needs help. Stop worrying about your worthless mail and maybe a little more about our youngsters.

Dumbass Claycordian.

4 Jeff February 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

GET EM.

More important, use him to find out who is committing the fraud – is it his parents? Older brother? Friends?

Track em down and cut off their hands. Go back to real justice and we’ll see less crime.

5 Darwin February 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I would have physically held the kid until police arrived. Citizens arrest!

6 Sinn Feiner February 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Seems like there’s been a lot of that going on lately. Luckily I have a mail slot that goes right into my garage. If not I’d have a P.O. Box instead.

7 Parsnip February 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I hope there is a release of the photo. It’s great to have their mug shots accessible on a blog. It might make a couple of them think twice.

8 Howdy February 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

A couple of days ago, I found paperwork in the street, on North El Camino Drive, from Macy’s for a rewards gift card for $26.xx. Address on the paperwork was from Pine Hollow Rd. Bet it’s the same Clown!

9 Dorothy February 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Good neighbors do keep an eye for odd doings around their areas. Good for these neighbors!

10 Killjoy February 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

@Omar
This is how identity theft begins. They get your mail. They get a bill of yours.
They apply for credit in your name. They run up charges against you.
All of a sudden, the creditors come looking for you to pay up.
The mail in mailboxes is not “worthless”. Especially to identity thieves.

And yes, I agree. You are a Dumbass Claycordian. After all, that’s how you signed your post.

11 Killjoy February 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

By the way, mail theft is a federal offense. Go talk to the Postmaster General about it. Not the local PD. The PD will slap this kid on the wrist.
The PG will press charges.

12 Mutts February 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

WORTHLESS MAIL??? Seriously, Omar, if it were your mail you’d be singing a different tune. Criminals start young and work there way up. Next trick for the guy is burglary.

13 Dear omar February 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Just a kid? Remember John Hilsang was a kid too.

14 Shipley February 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Who is John Hilsang, google search turned up nothing.

15 Parsnip February 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM

@Omar #3 — Hard to believe, but some of us do receive correspondence aside from Boy’s Life magazine or Skateboarder.

16 RD February 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Killjoy is correct.

Also, click on the link to report mail theft.

17 Larkin Walken February 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Mail theft is on the rise. It’s a good idea to have a mail slot installed in your front door if you can.

18 Jerry D. February 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I disagree with Omar in the fact that mail is actually many times not worthless. However, I agree with him in the fact that “scumbag” is too harsh a word to use for a kid.

Give me a break! Like you’re innocent and never made mistakes as a kid. Everyone has done something dishonest and may or may not have learned from it. This kid may be committing dishonest deeds on a grander scale than perhaps anyone here but he’s still a kid. He may not be, right now, the same person he will be for the rest of his life. There’s no guarantee of that. So to label him a scumbag is not fair. I, for one, am very different than I was at 16-18 years old. I made some seriously stupid mistakes in that age range such as DUI, public intoxication, theft, and acts of violence. Now, I’m a married, father of 2 good kids, tax paying, law abiding, honest, and hard working member of society who doesn’t even so much as drink anymore. Am I a scumbag?? If your answer is yes, then your arrogance knows no bounds.

Yes, what this kid has been doing is inexcusable but we don’t know the circumstances. Whether he gets caught or not, I just hope he learns from his mistakes.

19 J. February 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If I was too afraid to hold the kid I’d hold on to his bike and let him scamper away.

But, I’m not afraid, so I would have physically held him until the Cops arrived.

Get a shoe at least. For Heaven’s sake.

20 Paul (formerly) in South Concord February 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Woodshed! Now!

21 Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

John Hilsang is a name I made up to confuse Omar even more then he is confused. Apologies to anyone else that wasted time trying to figure him out. Now Jerry D I think, was confused to start with. Scum baggery is changeable. Sounds like Jerry was a scum bag and is now just a simpatico of scumbags , like Jansky Frobish.

22 Loss Prevention February 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Scumbag is never too harsh of a word when describing thieves. (or Omar )

23 Parsnip February 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

@Jerry D. — Give ME a break. Do you even know the word “scumbag” translates to? : “A contemptible or objectionable person.” My. How vicious.

I think anyone stealing mail fits that description. I do have to say that since “we don’t know the circumstances” maybe the cops should do a review of the kid’s hard drive since he committed a federal offense.

How wonderful that you progressed from your screwed-up teen years and that (you think) your kids are too. For all you know they just haven’t been caught yet.

That doesn’t mean this “kid” is going to walk down the yellow brick road.

24 Elwood February 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

@ Omar #3

Yes, Omar, scumbag. Scumbag is as scumbag does. If his parents had taught the scumbag not to steal we wouldn’t be having this problem.

Get over it, Omar. Some scumbags are just scumbags, not poor innocent misunderstood little children.

25 Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I agreed with Jerry D that because someone makes mistakes when they are young that doesn’t mean they are a scumbag when they are older.Jerry is right in pointing out himself as evidence. I made mistakes when I was younger but have turned my life around and no longer should be thought of as a bad person.

Your Friend,

Charles Manson inmate number 70622

26 Anon February 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Omar doesn’t have an identity worth stealing.

27 anon February 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

@Jerry Yes, he is a scumbag! He is stealing something that does not belong to him and certainly intends to do something illegal with the mail he has stolen. There are no circumstances that make it alright to steal. A mistake is something like sending a ball into someone’s window and not taking the blame. What this young adult ( and yes with the discripton of 16 – 18) that is what this person is. He knows better and chooses to take the action. He is a scumbag!

28 Antler February 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Kids looking for identity theft reasons…..well, maybe. But I’m guessing they’re really after gift cards. …in birthday or Valentine’s Day greetings right now.

29 @Omar #3 February 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I’ll say it again, scumbag.

It was my husband and his friend who confronted the mail thief. They said he was not the LEAST remorseful, nervous or embarassed about being caught in the act. If he could be described, it would be “confidently defensive.” Like he had no conscience whatsoever.

To those who think this is a harsh judgement, let me ask if you’ve ever been the victim of identity theft? One of my family members was badly victimized to the point where she has been interviewed for TV shows on consumer fraud. She was basically cleaned out, financially.

At his age, the mail thief should know better. If he’s not yet 18, he’s near the age when he can vote and serve in our military.

Circumstances, my ass. Seriously, we need to stop making excuses for these kinds of activities. Otherwise you’re part of their perpetuation.

30 @Jerry D #18 February 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Mistakes? Like committing felonies? This is a grade-A sugar coating if I ever saw one.

31 WTF February 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

@Omar- Yup. You are a dumbass Claycordian.

32 anon February 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

“The PD will slap this kid on the wrist.”

The DA prosecutes — not the PD

33 Anon February 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Actually think that a little public shaming would probably do much more to set this youth on the right path, doubt he will get prosecuted for stealing mail if he is a juvenile. One thing I like about Claycord is that gives consequences for bad behavior. Might make the next youth think twice before he/she commits an offense, if there is the possibility their photo will be posted

34 The Closer February 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

@Omar and Jerry D

How about scumbag larva? Does that soften the blow for you ?

35 @The Closer February 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM

roflmao!

I’m impressed by my fellow claycordians’ wit today.

36 CatWoman February 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Kids identities are protected by law for this reason. It’s the adults that will crucify this kid. He did break the law–do we know for sure if it’s he was the one who was doing this the entire time? We need to wait for more information.

37 CatWoman February 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

If I caught him stealing out of my mail box–yes the police would have been called right away.

38 huey9k February 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mr. Mayor, I’m curious. Why do you need clearance from the police to post a photo?

39 Anon4Now February 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hope you post the picture. It could be a kid that’s causing trouble in the neighborhood and wouldn’t put it past him to do something like this for fun. He needs someone to teach him a lesson since he doesn’t appear to get any parenting.

40 CLAYCORD.com February 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

@huey9k, I first would want to make sure they’re the actual suspect, and I wouldn’t want to mess up an investigation.

Mayor

41 Starfish February 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Chop his hands off!

42 OMG February 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Everyone should invest in a locking mail box.

43 vigilante#1 February 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Hey Omar. It was probably you who set the kid up to stealing mail on my street. Go f@#ck yourself.
I have his little ass on camera. If I catch him you’ll see what happens to little scumbags and people like you.

44 vigilante#1 February 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Are you kidding me? Its the kids AND the parents that are scumbags. If some loser parent hadn’t f@#cked up, little bastards like that wouldn’t be riding around stealing mail. A lot of you parents need to be slapped.

45 i.love.this.blog! February 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM

you are all awesome. I enjoy the chatter – very good stuff!

46 Jerry D. February 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I think some people are hilarious. You notice how people who talk all the smack are too much of cowards to even remotely use their real names? It must feel good to speak your mind, as negative as it might be, when no one knows who the hell you are. What’s the point? What you have to say really loses it’s importance when you hide behind some lame alias. Have fun!!

47 Teacher Wannabe February 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Confident that when he’s caught DA Peterson will deal with him harshly. Mark don’t take no stuff. If he can be charged as sn adult, he’ll go away for a LONG time.

48 Laura Zah February 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM

So Jerry……….. What is your last name? Just “D”? Talk about “talking smack” Put up or shut up!

49 Jerry D. February 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

@ Laura Zah: I never said people should use their full names. This is the internet after all. I said they don’t even “remotely use their real name”. They just hide behind anonymous or some made up alias while they spew their strong opinions and negative talk. I use my real name and last initial. That’s all that is necessary. So I’m “put(ting) up” exactly what I’m talking about. Also, I’m not talking smack. I’m stating my observation and opinion.

Feel free to reply with whatever you want to say, but I won’t be back to read it. This thread has gotten real lame! Cheers!!

50 iola February 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I’ve had my mail stolen and it’s very violating experience even if your identity is not stolen, which luckily it was not. Definition of scumbag seems to fit. It’s not an innocent child prank, and it sounds like he had no remorse for his actions. I hope he is taught a lesson and anyone else who may be behind this in a bigger identity theft way is caught as well.

51 Film at 11 February 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I’m crossing my fingers we can soon get a look at the mail thief’s mug when it’s cleared for the Mayor to post it. Since he hasn’t been caught, he’s still out there and apt to be doing more of the same.

52 Joe February 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I live in Roundtree and my mail goes to the P.O. box. Granted it can be a hassle to drive to the post office two order three times a week, but I think it is one of the best ways to protect yourself.

53 Joe February 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM

That’s “or”. Sorry, getting used to writing on a tablet.

54 Better With Butter February 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM

What a bunch of morons arguing about the word scumbag. Kid or not, scumbag applies. Thieves are scumbags even if they are kids because stealing is a scumbag thing to do. If he later turns his life around then he wont be a scumbag anymore. As for using full names on the internet, if that were mandatory no one would post comments because it is easy to be an ass when you are anonym-ass! The rest of you need to get a life.

55 Mr Pink February 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Post the pic so that I can work up a good hate.

56 Laura Zah February 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

So Jerry D. picked option #2 , “shut up” (and then run away).

57 Cowellian February 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

“Jerry D” is just as anonymous, and no more noble, than any other posting name. It’s also a lot less creative than some of the names here.

58 Cowellian February 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Better With Butter said:

That’s exactly what happened at the Contra Costa Times. They used to have pretty robust conversations concerning their stories, but some posters were pretty nasty. So, in order to enforce civility, they now only allow people to post comments by logging on with their Facebook accounts. And they no longer have conversations. Some stories may have one or two comments, but most stories have none.

59 Nom de Plume February 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Who would ever use their real name on here? It would just give the miscreants roaming our streets easier targets than they already have.

60 hmmm February 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM

me and a buddy of mine witnessed the same on Nottingham way in clayton I think last Friday evening I think it was the 8th? there were 2-3 kids around 16-17 they saw us while they did it and took off running toward atchitson stage. we tried looking for them in a car but they were long gone maybe they live close by

61 brats February 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

hope the brat is caught so that this will be stopped. disgusting.

62 lesson learned February 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Circumstances mean everything people do bad things for reasons….unfortunately I was doing the same thing this kid was. I was going in people boxes not for identies but for money. My reason? I found out my mom was dying from cancer an her insurance wouldn’t pay for her chemo so I thought it was a great idea and while I did get money n it felt good I got caught and arrested my car was towed which I lost I lost my job and now owe tons of money…. didn’t feel good to call my mother from jail and explain to her what I had done. She didn’t teach me to do it or want me to let alone know that’s what I was doing. Luckily that snapped me back to reality and I learned not to do it and earn my money but the point is my “CIRCUMSTANCES ” are what pushed me to do it

63 @ lesson learned February 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Many of us have experienced hard times and did not resort to stealing. There were other options you could have considered. 1. Sell some of your stuff to raise money. 2. Cut back on non necessary expensives ie cable tv and fancy cell phone plans. 3. Get a second and third job. 4. Ask friends and community members for help. 5. Look into county services for your mother. It is a shame that you took the least honest approach and tried to justify it.

64 lesson learned February 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I completely agree I know I chose the wrong route…..now. I wasn’t thinking straight I was stressed scared and confused and made a wrong decision because i didnt kbow how to deal with my circumstances. I’m just happy I was given a second chance