Concord Pedestrian Dies at John Muir in Walnut Creek After Being Struck by Vehicle

February 16, 2013 20:57 pm · 118 comments

mitch

A 52-year-old Concord native has died, just six days after he was struck by a vehicle on Clayton Road, according to the family of Mitch Carscadden.

Carscadden was hit by a vehicle on February 10th while jay-walking across Clayton Road, near Bailey Road.

Carscadden died on Friday night at John Muir in Walnut Creek. He was also battling cancer at the time of his death.

R.I.P.

photo: courtesy of the Carscadden family

101 Parsnip February 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

@Worm #100 — No, boy. That must be the stuff you take. I said heart failure. Have your mama read it to you. (If her antisocial behavior is controllable, that is.)

102 Parsnip February 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Thanks, SanDee — Great life, beautiful memories, so I’m very fortunate from that aspect. : )

I don’t understand the struggle that Mitch’s family has gone through regarding his past, but I do understand what they WILL be going through and wouldn’t wish it upon anyone.

103 Wolfman February 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Simmer down you guys. What would Jesus do? RIP Mitch and God bless Mrs. Carscadden and her family.

104 concordian February 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hey D. Carscadden…..are you the Dave Carscadden that was the coach of Concord AThletic league baseball back in 1991?

Anyways, RIP to Mitch, he happened to never bother me, BUT it was probably after he had been warned off about me, LOL. Ricky Fisher once asked me for money and I said NO, he then called me a b….., I screamed, what did you just say, m…..f……, I have not had a job in three years and I am barely getting by myself, why don’t YOU give ME some money, HUH? I need money too but you don’t see me acting the way you are….He ended up saying he was sorry for calling me that and he wanted to know if I accepted his apology and I said Yes. To this day, NONE of them ask me for money……hehehehe sometimes it pays to be meaner than them……LOL

105 Shirley Wilson February 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Oh no, poor Mitchell. I am so saddened to read this. I have gone back and forth with my feelings ever since the accident. Hoping that Mitchell would survive and be able to turn his life around. At the same time knowing he was battling cancer and had so many problems would it be more merciful if he passed away peacefully. My heart breaks for his mother and family members and the friends who loved him. I am so sorry you have left us Mitchell. If there is a heaven or afterlife please say hello to my son Randy for me. May you be at peace now.

106 caring person February 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I’ve just finished reading all the comments pro and con re Mitch. I too have known Mitch for a number of years. I think we should share some good menories of him as well. When he was at John Muir Concord the first time, I visited with him. He seemed to be at peace and accepted what was happening to him. In fact, he laughed with me. Shortly after that, I saw him with a group of guys. He was by MacDonalds (had been in chemo at that )time but at peace. He looked good better than I would going through what he did. One thing he did love was music – some of them had radios. Music helped this group much as for the moment they could forget the bad. The last time I went to see him was at JOhn Muir Walnut Creek but since my name wasn’t on his list, I didn’t get in to see him. I went to visit with his Mom but one of the family gave me the wrong address with no phone number so wasn’t able to see her. I have a special place in my heart for Mitch and yes the others as I believe if they were given a chance they would remember and learn the good in themselves. By the way, I have been there.

107 @Caring Person February 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Hi Please contact me. I am a family member. jkkjko@yahoo.com.

108 SanDee February 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

@Robert Keith,
Don’t waste the energy typing to a troll like Really??.
If everyone who told that troll to F*off lined up to apologize to him, the line would rival The Great Wall of China in length.
I’m sure Mitch’s family appreciates your efforts on his behalf. Thank You

109 The Legacy You Leave Behind February 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

The image commentators are painting of a man that constantly harassed and was best avoided has as much weight as the commentators telling us he was beautiful and loved.

This is the legacy, good and bad, that he left behind. He now owns it. No one else does. Reflect on that, because some day people will remember what kind of human being you are — and the day after your last, those people will remember you for those actions that spoke loudest.

110 Mary Lou February 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM

To Mitch’s family: May Mitch & my son’s father Terance Terrell RIP. I kne Mitch since I was 11. I grew up with Terance since I was 5. terance was my first love & I left him 30yrs. ago due to his chemical intake. I had a beautiful son by Terance & will always thank him for that. Mitch, I always saw him when I went shopping @ Food Maxx. I saw him nearly every week for the past 13yrs. & always bought him something to eat for lunch & dinner. He always knew who I was. He was always very kind to me & never lost touch with him all of these years. My son finaly met Terance 22 months ago for the first time & I got to have Terance back in my life the past 22 months. God bless both of them. Ryan & I will keep the Carscadden family in our prayers as we know how rough this is & @ least Terance & Mitch are both @ peace now. Love & prayers, Mary Lou

111 Can'tsaymyname February 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

So apparantely there is a moderator on this site, who has not posted my last 2 posts. The content of these 2 posts was to call out all the sissy la la’s on here who find it cool to talk crap on the memory of a dead person. I do not know why my comments were not allowed but all these other crap talking ones have been. Is it because I used my real name? What is wrong with this website when the GOOD GUYS are getting flagged for calling out the BAD GUYS????

112 Clayton Rd February 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That guy used to do push ups by the mc donalds drive thru for change

113 Kay February 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So sad that this happened to Mitch. I’ve known him since Pine Hollow and we had some great times together all through high school. We went to so many concerts at Winterland, the Cow Palace, and rarely missed a Day on the Green. Those memories will be with me forever. Rest in peace MDC. My deepest heartfelt condolences to his family. One last thing..to those of you who are so judgemental and feel the need to express negative thoughts and feelings about him, his lifestyle, etc. Have some class and keep them to yourself. Leave him alone and let him rest in peace.

114 Derek M February 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Wow all you people need get a life ! Put more effort into taking care of your own families instead of being so nosy about someone elses bad luck.

115 Thank You February 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Thank you for all of the nice things everyone is saying about Mitchell and to the person who left a memorial where he died. Thank you from the Family.

116 Levyyvel February 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I knew Mitch for over 30 years.
Not once did I ever hear him say 1 negative thing about another person.

All you “keyboard badasses” should back TF off

Mitchie, my friend,
I lost contact with you years ago and I always thought you would have made it out. I know that you knew who GOD is and I have no doubt where you are now and that you are at peace..

117 anon21 February 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

some of you people trolling on this post need to get a life (especially the troll called “anon” with his/her little rant on post #54) you all are subject matter experts when it comes to evaluating a troubled person’s life in retrospect right??? high and mighty, scientology losers, who believe that belief in god alone can turn around a person’s entire life, right? BS.
someone like this needed therapy, and even that sometimes is not enough. i cannot comment on what happened, or the choices he made, since i am not a therapist so i cant diagnose his problems. he obviously had a much tougher life than most of you trollers here did. i think people need to show some respect for his family right now. period.

118 Kathy February 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I’ve known Mitch since 1980. Last saw him in a bar in the early 90’s. I never saw him homeless, read about him on this sight, and was told he had cancer a couple months ago. I was told this morning he was hit by a car. Very, very sad. I will always remember him as a good looking guy, who unfortunately never turned his life around.