BEWARE! Damaged Vehicles from Hurricane Sandy Being Sold in the Bay Area

February 16, 2013 11:49 am · 15 comments

Beware, if you’re in the market for a vehicle, get a background check and inspection on it to find out where it previously lived!

Here’s why. Auto auction owners are bringing in thousands of cars from the east coast, all makes and models , 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. and they are being sold throughout Cailfornia. Some of these cars are believed to be the ones that were damaged during Hurricane Sandy.

Always have a pre-purchase inspection completed.

These cars are selling for $3,000 more on the west coast, and it only costs around $1000 per vehicle to transport!

1 bumper February 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Another clue: East Coast cars fall under Federal smog guidelines, thereforehey will NOT have a California emissions sticker under the hood, unless it’s forged. Also, the seller is required to perform the smog check.

If either is not done, it may be a red flag.

2 inmotion February 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

What’s a little mold.

3 babytruck February 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Wouldn’t the title be salvaged?

4 I have cash in my hand..... February 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

so…where can i buy one???

5 Em Dubya February 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Look for a partially submerged roller coaster in the trunk – that’s a dead giveaway that the 2012 Cadillac you are buying at a deep discount from a used car lot may have an issue.

6 Tod Gomes February 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Show me the car fax!

7 CatWoman February 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Wow. Way out here in California, lol, that is a long way; especially if you only want one. definitely look up under the hood! If they go through a “dealership” they are bound to the minimal standards in California. take a mechanic with you.

8 Howdy February 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Do not trust Car Fax either.

I bought a van from a dealer several years ago. Purchased my own “car fax” report . The report said the van was in an accident and was repaired. When I went to trade in the van 3 years later, the dealer did not want it because his “car fax” report said it had frame damage. My report did not show this. He showed me his report, I showed him my report from 3 years prior. They had different information on them. I will not trust car fax again.

9 funny man February 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM

you have to be an adventorus and fungi to buy one of these waterlogged vehicles!
and i agree with poster, dont trust carfax, bought a car a few years back with a clear carfax, took the vin to the dealer for a full history and found MANY problems, missed recalled, false mileage, accident repair, etc

10 Car Guy February 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM

With over twenty five years in
the auto business , I will tell you
It’s no joke. These cars are problems.
Out of state car dealership grps.
Wash the certificate of origin by moving
them from state to state. With today’s
electronics,and computers they require
very expensive re-con.

11 Anon February 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I would personally only buy a used car that was purchased brand new in CA by the original owner and never left this state. Some of these local dealerships are part of groups that can ship a car to you from another state and who knows what you are really buying in that case.

I think there are some loopholes in reporting the car as salvaged if it is moving State to State too :(

12 J. February 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I am selling my truck right now, and the buyer ran a CARFAX … it came up with 21-records … so s/he bought the CARFAX only to find that all 21 were about on-time oil-changes, ownership changes, lack of recalls, lack of accidents, etc.

Didn’t CARFAX used to be about $10? Now it’s $40.

13 anon February 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Water damage = Bad.
However not all Salvage title is bad, especially if you know the nature of the damage. For example I picked up a Camaro for a sweet deal just to mess around and have fun with. I knew I wouldn’t make a profit on it (who does on any car?) I drove it for 2 years and sold it for what I paid for it. Not Bad!
NEVER buy a Salvage Hybrid – That battery that you get an 8 year warranty on in California no longer has that warranty.

14 Jerry Reynolds February 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

This may explain the shrimp in the glove compartment.

15 @ Anon #11 February 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

not everyone can afford that luxury. i understand you have the means to pick exactly what car your are going to get, but a lot of people in this area, specifically young people, dont have that luxury. (this is a luxury) this should broadcasted on a bigger scale than claycord. people should know about this.