Solano Way at Grant Street Still Closed – Use Alternate Routes During Commute

February 11, 2013 17:00 pm · 35 comments

craig_tow still_closed

Monday afternoon, 5pm: Solano Way at Grant Street in the City of Concord is still shut down following a vehicle -vs- pedestrian collision, which occurred at about 1:30 on Monday afternoon.

A 14-year-old boy, who was in the crosswalk at the time of the crash, was transported to Children’s Hospital in Oakland with life-threatening injuries.

The road should reopen within the next hour, but if you can, use an alternate route during the commute hours.

For more information and pictures, please click ON THIS LINK.

photo credit: Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

1 anonanonagain February 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I’m hoping he gets the care he needs and makes a full recovery. I can’t even fathom a child of 14 being hit by a car like this. Sending loving thoughts and best wishes to the family of this young boy…….

2 AnonoGod February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Send good thoughts.. Wondered why an ambulance was going code three west bound through the caldecott with a police escort a little after 3…

That intersection always seems unsafe to me..

3 Victor mature February 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I think it’s time concord pd to do another crosswalk stings and have Stanley Roberts from KRON 4 people behaving badly cover it.

4 Lori February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Ditto #1 so sad too much of this kind of stuff happening lately.

5 Rosie February 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

His name is Joey Hornsby I was informed that he is recovering but he will be in a coma for a few days just please everybody keep him in your prayers <3 he's one of my good friends n such an AWSOME guy <3

6 V February 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Prayers to all involved.

@#1 and #4 Is it happening more? Or is it that we are all more sensitive?

7 CAL February 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM

The City needs to budget more money for CPD before sending money for free bus service. CPD may want to do a day of zero tolerance on speeding on major roads in place of doing one of its DUI check points nights. The judge would more then likely throw some of the tickets out but even a warning ticket will get speeders attention. I would also like to see a return of the traffic calming program. We should worry more about safety then getting cars parked at BART. I see the 30 mph speed limit sign in the photo but I’d bet no one goes that slow there. Ever notice the 25 mph sign for De La Salle High School on Treat? If you do 25 mph there you’d get ran over for sure. The City needs to step up. IMHO I have also voiced this to the City in person and in emails. Sure hope this young man fully recovers.

8 @Victor #3 February 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You’re incredibly insensitive.

9 ProFi February 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Rosie,
Thanks for the update…. thoughts and prayers to you, your friend & his family.

10 lg February 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

@#8, You`re incredibly sensitive! He was`nt being sarcastic, just making a point. I send my thoughts and prayers to the boy and his family.

11 Mrs. W February 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

This is terrible news. He is such a wonderful young man. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

12 Rosie February 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM

He is still in the hospital but he is doing much better n he is expected to recover but he’ will be in a in a coma for a few days thank u all for ur love n prayers <3 oh and also I guess the driver was eating when she hit Joey she was not intoxicated from my understandings

13 anon February 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Parents need to teach their kids to WAIT until there are no cars….or to run across the street when it is clear..its not that hard…but in the HOOD– parents hardly do the right thing

14 Rosie February 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Wow just informed that He is NOT ok he had surgery to stop the bleeding and pressure in his brain they r hoping it doesn’t bild up over night wile he is in a coma cause it will mean he will have brain damage and might not make it so pray for him plz :( god DONT trust the info on FB !

15 @Ig #10 February 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Yes we all pray for the boy and his family, however, it’s not the time for Victor or anyone else right now to talk about pedestrians who cause or almost cause accidents, which is the picture he paints when he mentions “people behaving badly” and crosswalk stings. It was really quite inappropriate.

16 Victor mature February 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Getting to my earlier post. I agree it’s a shitty situation. No matter who’s fault it is everyone needs to be aware of there surroundings. A car is a lethal weapon and if you’re behind the wheel you need to drive with cauation at intersections. Stanley Roberts PPB segments on jay walking stings capture people disobeying drivers failing to yield at pedis trains at crosswalks then getting pulled over by the police.

17 @13 February 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM

you are an idiot.

18 Anonamomma February 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM

@ # 13. Who in the Hell ARE YOU? In the HOOD? Come on now, that is one of the WORST pedestrian crossings in Concord. Drivers barely stop and yield to pedestrians in the CROSSWALK for pete’s sake. Which, by the way is California State Law, you ignorant, insensitive MORON

19 CAMom February 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

God bless this boy, may he recover with no lingering injuries. This IS a dangerous crosswalk. No walk sign, people speeding through like they are still on the freeway, no one stops for pedestrians, and no police patroling the area during rush hour which is just about 24/7 on Solano. I live there and cross that intersection twice a day. I stop to allow the students to walk only to be honked at and driven around. People are in such a hurry to get somewhere. Everyone needs to slow down. This is a neighborhood street, not 680

20 Lori February 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM

@#13 Wow Really? You are an ass !!! Rosie thank you for the updates.
Really hope young Mr. Hornsby makes a full recovery.

21 BCuzItzClaycord..... February 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM

#13…YOU’RE MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The young man was in the crosswalk. Cars are suppose to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. Sadly this is something that Californians in general do not get. The driver should be fined heavily for violating a basic driving code. But this is California where anything that resembles a law is not enforced.
Amen #19
Prayer to the young man for a full and speedy recovery.

22 DoReMi February 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I always make ey contact before stepping into the crosswalk. I recommend this, along with advice to the driver. Stop BEHIND the crosswalk. Inch forward while looking for cyclists and pedestrians. I do this feligiously and still have a fes close calls.

I agree that pedestrians should look where they are going. You cannot rely on a texting/cell phone saturated society to notice 100% of the time. It is just common sense.

23 DoReMi February 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Good heavens, type much? Sorry for the attrocious spellings.

24 @ # 21 February 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Maybe the kid walked into the crosswalk and the driver was to close to stop on time. I know it’s a hard concept for some people to understand but cars do not stop on a dime.

25 Uh huh February 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I know Joey and he is such a nice boy. This is so sad and I’m sending hope and prayers for Joey and his family!!!

26 Get rid of it! February 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That is a horrible intersection! Horrible place for a crosswalk, there is no point of decelleration any time before or after that crosswalk. People always speed through there. MAYOR YOU SEE ALL THESE POSTS ABOUT IT BEING A REALLY BAD PLACE FOR A CROSSWALK. PROBABLY TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

27 eric February 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Its pritty clear it wasnt the kid just stepping out without looking. Looking at the scene he was near the middle of the street when hit. And looking at how far up the car was. The driver wasnt paying attention. Either way its tragic to both parties. The driver has to live with this on there mind and the kid and family have a long recovery ahead of them. Prayers to both parties.

28 Anon February 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thank you for the updates Rosie – I will be praying for this young man and his family & friends.

Think twice before you multi-task in your car!! Food/phone calls can WAIT until you are out of your vehicle!

29 George February 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I lived in that area, on Richard Ave., for 21 years. The worst thing about that intersection is that coming from underneath the 242 overpass it is two lanes with the right lane of traffic suppose to be going up the hill to Grant Street. You get a lot of jerks who actually want and intended in the first place to go up Solano. They speed up and cut in at the last minute. Heaven help the poor person in the crosswalk when that happens. And you also get delivery trucks parked in the middle turn lane in front of Solano Market blocking the drivers and pedestrians views.

30 Pleasant Jenny February 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

My Little Dude says “he went to my school last year and he is a very nice kid”.

31 Anotherme February 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I am over there almost every day. A stop sign or stoplight would make a huge difference. It is a dangerous intersection with lots of pedestrians crossing.

32 Long Time Reader February 13, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Speed Bumps. Some streets are meant to have them. Solano Way is one of those streets. One end has Highway 4 and the other end has 680. This has been a fast street for a lot of years.

33 me February 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Worked with the Neighborhood Association for years to get a signal light there and we were always shot down. #29 Everything you mentioned was spot on! #13 The Hood? Really? There are a few undersirables in this neighborhood as there is in all communities but the majority of us are hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens. So keep your slang crap to yourself!

34 sj February 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Sadly, even after this happened, yesterday I was in the left turn lane to turn onto the 242 S when someone jay-walked from the gas station on the north side of Solano toward the gas station on the south side – slowly and at a 45 degree angle, and then proceeded to slowly cross the on-ramp WHILE the cars had the green arrow right-of-way. Then on top of that, while waiting for this slow walker, cars behind me were honking their horns…… People crossing streets need to WAIT until they have the right-of-way and are clear, people driving cars need to WAIT until the pedestrian is out of the street. Too many people feel they and their time is the most important, and after all, “it is their right to do…” Both sides need to learn respect. Just adding speed bumps won’t help. Just adding a stop light or sign won’t help. It is the attitude of the pedestrians and drivers that will make the most difference.

35 Antler February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I read in an on-line newspaper that Joey’s father has stated that Joey had no broken bones and no internal injuries. But the excellent staff at Oakland Children’s Hospital did do a brain scan on him at admission in ER, discovered a pre-existing brain abscess, performed successful surgery to remove the abscess, and then put Joey into a medically-induced coma simply to aid healing from the brain surgery. He is expected to make a complete recovery!!! Joey’s father gave an interview in which he stated that Joey had been suffering headaches for the past two weeks. This accident was indeed a frightening way to receive a blessing.