CoCo D.A. Announces the Arrest of Darren Wassell for Conspiracy to Defraud Wells Fargo Bank

February 11, 2013 13:09 pm · 28 comments

District Attorney Mark Peterson announced today that Darren Wassell, a former real estate agent from Danville, was arrested by investigators from the District Attorney’s Office on a warrant charging him with Conspiracy, Forgery, Burglary, Passing Insufficient Fund checks, and attempting to file False Documents with the Recorder’s Office. Wassell had conspired to file a fraudulent Deed of Full Reconveyance at the County Recorder’s Office to discharge a $1,200,000 mortgage owed to Wells Fargo Bank on his Danville residence. Wassell is also accused of issuing over one and one-half million dollars in “bad checks.”

A Danville resident since 2005, Wassell purchased his 5 bedroom/3 bathroom residence with a $1,200,000 mortgage. In 2011, Wells Fargo Bank was in the process of foreclosing on Wassell’s home mortgage when he conspired with a friend to file a fraudulent Deed of Full Reconveyance.

In addition, in 2012 Wassell briefly opened and closed a checking account with US Bank. Weeks after the US Bank account was closed, Wassell wrote and mailed a $1,548,600 check to Wells Fargo from the closed US Bank account. Needless to say, the check bounced based on insufficient funds.

Wassell was formerly a licensed real estate agent until his license expired in 2010. Wassell is presently the Chief Executive Officer of a real estate investment limited liability company called ‘Still Creek Capital, LLC’ since 2011.

Wassell has been charged with five felony counts including Conspiracy, Forgery, Burglary, Non-Sufficient Funds Checks, and Filing False Documents. He faces a maximum sentence of 5 years, 8 months. His bail is presently set at $100,000.

District Attorney Mark A. Peterson stated “that this office will prosecute anyone who deceives victims and businesses of their hard earned money in any real estate fraud scheme. We will not tolerate swindlers nor financial predators in our community.”

Darren Wassell is being prosecuted by the Real Estate Fraud Unit of Contra Costa County by Deputy District Attorney Ken W. McCormick. Further questions can be referred to Mr. McCormick at 925-957-8785.

{ 28 comments }

1 whatever floats your boat February 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Book’em Danno

2 MikeT February 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Sounds like he now has all the qualifications to run for just about any political office.

3 The Kabitser February 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What! The guy didn’t thnk the banks were going to catch on? This dude is as smart as a brick!

4 TinFoiler February 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ha ha ha – Conspiracy!? Hilarious. I thought that was the new “N” Word, or is that Conspiracy Theorist?

5 Already February 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Time for reelection ?

6 concord99 February 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Uhhhh….didn’t he think that Wells Fargo would know that they hadn’t received the $1,200,000 from him and the deed was fraudulent????

7 Anon February 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Hmm, he tried to steal from a bank. A bank along with many others, who owe the American public in the neighborhood of $700T. Too bad the DA doesn’t fight this hard when cars, driven by those caught with drugs and gins in the front seat, recklessly speed and kill peds.

8 jj February 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

make him proud.. post his picture!!

9 Anon2you February 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Wow he makes some of our recent white collar criminals look downright juvenile in their crimes…Going for the big bucks, I guess if you are going to do it, do it big time!

10 JAFO February 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

@Anon #7

Here we go again, readjudicating a settled case, unrelated in any way to this story. As remarkably tragic and entirely avoidable as the aforementioned manslaughter incident was, posters’ continuing efforts to find fault with the DA’s handling of the matter simply betray a willful ignorance of the facts and law surrounding the case. You may find the end result distasteful, even unacceptable, but in the eyes of the law, justice was done. Please, put your lynch mob nooses back in the closet.

11 miek February 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM

at #7 – wow, that’s a mouthful! banks are bad, cops are bad, and no one should be driving with “drugs and gins” – that’s just wrong!

12 KJ February 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

13 Connie Dobbs February 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Wow. Somebody needs to find Christopher Dormer.

14 Schmee February 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I’m curious what the scam is? Turn in a forged peice of paper saying you paid a million bucks and hoping they believe it?

And writing checks on closed accounts is typically done by low end criminals or identity thiefs. If the bank acct was in his name- again what’s the scam here. Banks can always sue you or send you to collections agencies if you owe them and your accounts closed. Thy can also put you on check systems so you can’t open any other accts anywhere.

15 Say Cheeeese February 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Mug shot?

16 Pete Bennett February 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Dear Mark Peterson,

My trust documents were forged – Walnut Creek Police refused to investigate

In 2004 the same building inspector connected to my CNET story is dead

A PGE Vendor has defrauded me – over 200,000
My car was totaled by Lt. David Oberhoffer in connection with Hillside Covenant churches youth director, another youth director tried to run me over, my laptop was hacked by these people exposing critical PGE infrastructure data – CCSO refuses to investigate.

Are you aware that Danville Deputies were waiting for me in the MDF? They placed a homicide suspect in my cell that would have killed me. No big deal really just a full blown crazy inmate

Did you know that my truck blew up on 680 in 2004

Lt.Gorski told me that I’d never get a case through the DA office – even though I am sure the wonderful CNET operatives are behind many incidents.

Pick an incident, brakes sabotaged, attempted murder by vehicle, poison, beatings, witness intimidation and business disruption where I was driven out of my offices.

The PGE Vendor passed a bad check for $4.500 in 2011 weeks later my car is totaled and that was also a conversation with Daryl Jackson who said there was no connection to CNET and my story or that Chief Bryden tells me he’s the FBI contact for CNET –

All of it is a pile of bull____

Sure Mark i get it – I have a target on my back

17 Anon February 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

@JAFO

Lynch mob, really? Comparing two cases to show justice is different for those who are rich, corporations for example, and those who aren’t has nothing to do with lynch mobs. Don’t put words in my mouth, unless you want the same childish treatment.

18 miek February 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM

@Pete – what color is the sky in your world? holy conspiracies batman!

19 12ga February 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I took care of the guys pool! crazy! he was the nicest guy, great family. I guess you never really know what people are like behind closed doors

20 Anon February 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

DO not steal from banks as they give to campaigns but take your Escalade, drive crazy, kill a couple of people and since there is nothing in it for the DA it is a low priority case.

Come election day we will see if the dead people are low priority.

“I see dead people…”

21 C Lo February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I know Darren. He is a really nice guy. I’m stunned by the news. Like 12ga said, his family is extremely nice too.

22 noelle February 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Remind me not to invest with his LLC. What a POS.

23 Roin February 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

@ C Lo – yeah easy to be a nice guy when you are spending other people’s money. Rather than getting a job, he simply tried to pull a pathetic scam. Good for WF to press charges. Now only if I could say the same about the thieves and scoundrels on WS who walked away with billions…

24 12ga February 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

yeah c-lo. crazy seeing his name in the news. it’s really shocking. I talked to him like every week. never would’ve known.

25 Elwood February 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

@ pete bennett #16

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

Even paranoids have enemies.

26 @KJ, #12 February 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

“Didn’t he know only corporations can commit fraud in this country and get away with it?”
Didn’t you know that corporations are people? The Supreme Court decreed it.

27 Justice for None February 12, 2013 at 5:04 AM

In 2010 some meth head kicked down our front door and robbed our house. Luckily, two neighbors spotted him and called the cops.

He was arrested as he was unloading his car.

This was not his first strike, or his second strike, or even his third. It was his fourth.

He spent less than 18 months in prison.

While I am not advocating that Wassell shouldn’t go to prison if he’s guilty, it seems that people who defraud banks get a hell of a lot more jail time than slimy meth heads, wanna be gang bangers and assorted trash of every color who perpetrate crime against the residents of Contra Costa County.

28 The Mamba February 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM

The banks got bailed out, the people got nothing. If you need to screw over your bank, go for it.