UPDATE: Vehicle -vs- Pedestrian Victim Identified – Victim Still Alive

February 10, 2013 23:29 pm · 113 comments

crash_scene

The pedestrian who was struck by a vehicle on Sunday night near Clayton Road & Bailey Road in Concord has been identified by family as Concord native Mitch Carscadden.

Mitch, who was a very well known transient who previously lived on the streets in the area of Clayton Road & Treat Boulevard, is currently alive, but unresponsive, according to family. In recent months, he was undergoing chemotherapy, and living with a relative in Concord.

Mitch was known to jay-walk across Clayton Road, and was apparently jay-walking at the time of the crash. The nearest crosswalk was over a hundred feet away from the scene of the collision.

The driver of the car was taken to the Concord Police Department to have his/her blood taken, which is routine to determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.

photo credit: Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

101 Shirley Wilson February 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I came across Mitch’s older brother yesterday and stopped to talk to him He said Mitchell has a 50/50 chance of survival and is in a drug induced coma for now. That is better news than I was expecting, at least he is still alive. I do hope for his recovery from these terrible injuries and from the cancer as well. I am thinking of you Mitchell..

102 Mimi (original) February 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

@ Teacher – yes, Mitch has beautiful eyes, and used to have much longer hair. I have seen him in a deplorable state and in good shape, though I don’t know him personally, I have a friend who does. I was surprised to see him looking so handsome one time and my friend told me that when he’s not drinking he’s quite charming. Honestly, to have seen him in such good shape it’s hard to fathom what he’s had to go through in his life. No one is exempt from suffering from unknown evils. I hope he pulls through and perhaps this will help him change his life for the better.

103 Shirley Wilson February 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM

in speaking to Mitch’s brother Donnie he says Mitchell was not living on the streets at the time of the accident. He was staying with his mother.

104 CLAYCORD.com February 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM

@Shirley Wilson, it says that in the story.

105 @ShirleyWilson February 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM

You really don’t need to post everything that you hear because sometimes you have to consider the source. So if you want to know anything and you are truly concerned, you should contact the family spokesperson and they will let you know on his condition if they see fit.

106 Marilyn Carscadden February 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Rest in peace.

107 Marilyn Carscadden February 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I am Mitchell Dean Carscadden’s mother.He died yesterday. He was on life support and would been a vegetable had he survived the accident.
For those who choose to judge him for his lifestyle. I have never met anyone who didn’t need some form of therapy. All of us have some addictions. Some more destructive then others.
It’ so easy to look and point a finger at the other guy, than to look at yourself.
For those of you who have compassion, you have a heavy load to carry. Take it from one who knows.
Thank you to all who have expressed concern and prayers for my son’s recovery. Sadly it was not to be, but please remember Mitchell for all the good things he was.
Marilyn

108 Starfish February 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

So very sorry for your loss, Marilyn. God be with you and yours.

109 J. February 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, Marilyn.

R.I.P. Mitch

110 Just Me February 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

So sorry Marilyn . I had always wished Mitch well . He reminds me of someone I love . So sorry for your loss.

111 So sorry February 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

@ Marilyn Carscadden. I am so sorry for your loss. I lived on Glazier Dr years ago and remember Mitch hanging around the corner gas stations. He was never a threat to anyone. His battles, whatever they were, were within. So happy to hear that he had a family that cared. He died knowing that. My condolences to you and your family.

112 I Think I Know The Driver February 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Such a tragedy for all parties involved. Since I was not there I will not blame either one. All I know is that someone lost their life and someone else will be traumatized for the rest of their lives. Sad all around. My prayers go out to his family, the driver, and the driver’s family.

113 Wolfman February 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hi Mrs Carscadden, Sorry for your loss. I knew Mitch since the apts. on clayton rd. between matheson rd. and claycord. We went and said prayers over him on wed. night. Had to sneak past the security gaurd. Talked to him every week till he got sick. He will be missed. God bless you and your family.