UPDATE with Photos: Auto -vs- Pedestrian on Clayton Rd. in Concord

February 10, 2013 18:21 pm · 85 comments

crash_4 crash_2 crash_1 camp_homeless

A person was struck by a vehicle in front of TJ Maxx on Clayton Road in Concord, which is located near Bailey Road.

The victim has a pulse, according to police, but is unresponsive at this point.

Use caution if you’re in the area.

We’ll update you when we get more information on the incident.

UPDATE, 7:15pm: The man who was hit was a local transient.

Our friendly photographer “Flash” was on scene, and tells us what he saw….

Just came upon the accident scene. It was on eastbound Clayton Road just before Bailey Road. Paramedics were putting the victim in the ambulance when I arrived. Witnesses at the scene told me the man appeared to be one of the local homeless citizens in the area. He might have been headed back to the homeless camp I sent you a picture of. The camp is located in the empty lot next to Taco Bell. It appeared as though the victim was jay-walking, since he was a few hundred feet away from the nearest crosswalk. He was alive when they took him away, but it didn’t look too good.

Thanks, “Flash”. We have confirmed that the man who was hit was a well known transient, and as you can tell from the pictures shown above, he was not in the crosswalk when he was struck.

He was transported to John Muir in Walnut Creek.

UPDATE, 7:39: Eastbound Clayton Road has been shut down just past McDonald’s to just before Taco Bell.

The vehicle that struck the man pulled into the TJ Maxx shopping center. Police are telling Claycord.com that the vehicle’s windshield is busted.

1 Concord Nurse February 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Probably jay walking. I see it every day on Clayton Rd.

2 chef barbara February 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

So sad…. people need to watch where you’re walking and people need to watch their speed

3 Winston February 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Another victim of Claycord’s deadly and obsolete road network. When are we going to demand roads that are safe for humans, not just 3000 lb death machines?

4 Jerk February 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

What’s Speeding got to do with it? If you were doing 15mph and somebody stepped out in front of you – You will still Hit them.
If you’re going to jay walk, Learn how to put some pep in your step and Run.

5 PuhLease February 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM

6 anon February 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The person that was hit was one of the dirty dozen.

7 traffic accident February 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Another sad accident I hope the pedestrian is OK. Sounds like they are blocking off Clayton Road. Was the pedestrian in the crosswalk like the skateboarder on Monument last December? By the way has anyone heard any information about that accident on Monument?

8 Mz.D February 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I just drove past this scene, luckily I was near a turning lane so I pretty much avoided the traffic. But in my view I saw someone laying on the ground with someone sitting next to them. Then the fire truck showed up. I didn’t see a second car that could’ve been involved so I assumed someone had been hit while crossing. There is no crossing lane where they were at, so the person was jaywalking. Hopefully they are able to recover well. I read way too many stories about people being hit by cars, seems like it happens every few months.

9 Wondering February 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM

How do you suppose they were Jay walking in front of TJ Maxx?? That’s in a shopping center!!! I am constantly having to watch out walking to stores right there because nobody seems to stop for people crossing going into stores. This happens everywhere… in front of Lucky, Kmart, Walmart, Winco I could go on…….

10 Jeff February 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Unconfirmed from 7-11 clerk: It was Mitch who was hit.

11 Jerk February 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM

#9, Because it says on Clayton Rd. I would assume it would say in the TJ Maxx parking lot if that’s where it happened.

12 anon February 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

road is closed at thornwood towards clayton, traffic is being diverted up wilson to bailey.

13 Stop Wondering February 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

There was literally a crosswalk 15 yards from the scene. People need to own up to the fact that jaywalking on a street where the speed limit is 40 is just plain STUPID. I live on Clayton a block from this incident and I see jaywalkers all the time, and I always slow down out of fear that I’m going to hit them if they decide to run across. One day I will slow down and a car will hit me from behind. Be smart and use a crosswalk.

14 PollyP925 February 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The man was on the other side of the road from TJ Maxx. Not near any cross walk.. well I take that back.. there is a cross walk a few yards down by Taco Bell but the man tonight was nowhere near it. He may have done what many do on that road, cross through the dark and brush filled center medians were cars can NOT see you until you’re in front of them. Very sad. I hope he will be ok, but he had no business that I could see being there in the dark like that except to be jay walking. Unfortunately. No one deserves to be hit (before all you haters go crazy), but we need to take personal responsibility for our safety!

15 lg February 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I`m sorry, but when I`m walking, anywhere, I always look for cars just in case I need to jump out of the way of a driver that may not see me. I see people everyday just walking blindly, oblivious to what may careening down the road towards them. In the end, it`s personal responsibility!!! You`ll never win against a car. Never!!!!

16 Geez February 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Only in California do people think the entitlement they feel to the right-of-way on roads will protect them from a car weighing about 4000 pounds. You can hope that cars know to look out for pedestrians, but you would be a fool to bet on it.

17 Parsnip February 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM

@#5 — How true. I was at Safeway, Contra Costa (near Penney’s) early this morning. I was at the crosswalk, and some old bat with short gray hair in a red car just drives right through. That’s fine. But then she stops as soon as she crosses the crosswalk and starts backing up … with me in it. It’s not just jaywalkers. It’s idiot drivers, too. Some need to be leashed; the others should not be licensed.

(Hope the pedestrian survives.)

18 Doesn't surprise me February 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I saw all the traffic and knew it had to be a homeless person. The homeless have gotten far worse in the last few years in this area. I wish these people could get help, even if it was against their will. How do these homeless camps stay “open”? I was in Food Maxx after this happened and while bagging my groceries a so-called “woman” walked towards the exit screaming “Bye bit..I’m leaving… you m-f’ing ho” (fill in the dots) Wow….she looked rather homeless and dirty too…just like her mouth. It might be time to move.

19 Doesn't surprise me February 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM

One more thing….do you really think this homeless guy was with it enough to even know what he was doing? I see these people walking around aimlessly all the time, muttering nonsense under their breath. They are clearly under the influence and/or very mentally ill. I’m sorry…but maybe if he did pass away he would be happier in the big scheme of things. Maybe he didn’t even know he was crossing a street. Maybe he thought he was walking down main street in Disneyland. We just don’t know how his brain was operating, or if it was operating at all.

20 almost hit someone there myself earlier this week February 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Earlier this week, when I was driving past that spot, it was semi-dusk and a long-haired, elderly-looking person was out in the lane ready to jay-walk. I saw them at the last second and swerved into the other lane, as did the person behind me…it was very dangerous…and, no, I wasn’t speeding or using a cell phone…they were in dark clothing and it was difficult to see them, and they were not at an intersection or crosswalk.

21 Thinking of the driver February 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM

No one seems to be thinking about the driver who hit the guy. How traumatic it must be for that person to have someone pop into traffic and right in front of their car. It seems as if the pedestrian chose to take a dangerous route to cross the street and the driver was unable to miss him.
and
@Winston. The streets are as safe as the people on them choose to behave on them. If people, like this guy, choose to behave in a way that is not only unsafe, but against the law, he has to suffer the consequences of his choice.

22 @Winston February 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

When are we going to demand these people not be allowed to roam around aimlessly and under the influence all the time while begging for money? When are we going to demand they clean up their dumpy homeless camps and go to a shelter and quit making dumps like the one along Bel Air Drive? And you blame the “unsafe” streets? There are places for people like this, but they refuse to go to safe places. They would rather intimidate the whole city.

23 anon February 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM

It was Mitch. Confirmed by his family

24 steve February 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

The tow tuck driver said he did not make it, driver of car is at police station.
She did stop

25 Mimi (original) February 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM

RIP Mitch, ur on to a better place.

26 Winston February 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

If people feel the need to jaywalk then the street is designed badly.

27 Triple Canopy February 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Just as there is defensive driving, there ought to be defensive walking.

I see peeps in SF all the time assume just because they have the pedestrian “go” signal that it is safe to cross. More often then not, all the while while texting or talking on the phone…. I’ve seen quite a few close calls and two fatalities.

28 anon February 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Clayton Rd is a freeway. Try walking on the sidewalks during commute time, it’s scary Sidewalks are so close to the driving lanes. People drive 55mph

29 anon February 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Time for Concord to put in some lighted crosswalks. WC has them as well as other towns in the area. They have lights in the surface that light up when someone is walking in them.

30 Teacher February 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Which one was Mitch?

31 Anon February 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Go advice all of you, jay walkers should stop however as the homeless to my knowledge don’t have Internet access they’ll never see this. Be to have the cops actually enforce the laws.

32 dave February 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I am surprised to hear that this might have been Mitch because he had liver cancer and was living with his sister in the area. He was the only male that I knew of who had a shopping cart full of stuff. I had not seen him around the area in a long time, so he must have been keeping a low profile. It is only a matter of time for these people and jay-walking across Clayton Rd has wiped out more than one.

33 Tim February 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I hear the driver is suspected of driving under the influence.

34 Bob February 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM

From the pile of crap pictured I noticed what looks like a wine bottle.

35 been iving in concord all my life .... February 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

@#29,
Anon having lighted crosswalks only work if use them .. plus this concord NOT walnut Creek .. concord dont have money to put all lights in cross walks in concord .. if they did which crosswalk would they put them? there thousand of crosswalks up and down clayton rd and surrounding areas …

that be day that they will put lights on crosswalks … plus who u think is going to pay for putting those lights in crosswalks? … umm you and million of other tax payers who live in concord …

36 been living in concord all my life .... February 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

@#29,

37 been living in concord all my life .... February 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM

@#31

by the way police do enforce the law on jaywalkers … police cant always be there when they walk across the street … so how can the enforce the law if dont see it happening? plus there people out there watch out for cops before they do jaywalk … so what have say on that?

38 CatWoman February 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

RIP Mitch many condolences

39 CAL February 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I think a lot of us have had to avoid hitting some of these people. At times they just seem to be totally out of it. I just hope that driver was not in some way at fault.

40 Jeff February 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Rest in Peace Mitch. You had a tough life. You are surely in a better place now. Maybe, just maybe what happened tonight will save a soul in the future. Maybe, just maybe we will give serious thought to the plight of your remaining comrades.

41 10-55maus February 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Deadly and obsolete roads? I pay my taxes specifically to maintain the surfaces for my aformentioned death machine. If you can’t look both ways and observe your surroundings, say inside your shelter.

It is unfortunate that so many resources are used due to one persons fogheaded behavior. yes I am making an assumption. Many of the populace still have the common sense to stay out of a busy roadway. Lurned it as a kid: “Don’t play in the street!”

If indeed it was one of out local bums, their overall color scheme blends rather well into the street. I drove by on my way to work, and I didn’t see anything bright, except on the EMS folks.

42 anon February 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM

“Oh I can’t wait for the wise Claycordians to post a bunch of BS about Jay walking an how it’s all the persons fault who was crossing the street.”

This is 100% true — no cross walk– illegal…its called curbside justice — ask any cop– violate the law & you may die…many will not be sad…bye Mitch

43 anon February 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM

A few months ago i was driving down Clayton Road and I thought I saw something in the street ahead of me. It was late and there was no traffic around. I flipped my high beams to try and make out what it was and a homeless guy, wearing all black clothing, was in the bushes in the center divide and was flipping me off. Seriously? I was trying to avoid hitting him and he flipped me off. it is so dangerous to j-walk on Clayton Rd, in the dark, wearing dark clothes, and if intoxicated – even worse.

44 Pete Bennett February 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Before you cast a bad eye on the jay walking homeless man consider this mans options

1) He lacks a front door – if he had one he wouldnt be crossing the street
2) He’s exposed to the elements he’s tired – he might be tipsy
3) He’s tired, worn down and beaten down from the hard streets

This so called Homeless Man would have cost about $300 to $400 per months to house and store in a defensible location e.g. a room –

now this poor homelss man in less than 10 seconds will cost the county or state at least $200,000 in medical costs. I know about 20 of these around the county. So far it’s about 5 million –

You tell me which is a cheaper – perhaps a truck that can house 4 to 5 homeless in a safe place or 5 million in medical?

Get real – do a better job on the front side and you’ll get a better bottom line

read my article

45 Human Speed Bumps February 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Assuming he was jaywalking, this tragedy is first the fault of the vagrant , but responsibility also falls on the doorstep of the Concord Police Department and all those Claycordians who give money to these vagrants.

Why do I suggest CPD deserves blame? They have ignored the jaywalking and public intoxication problems on Clayton Road. Tragedies like this have happened before and will happen again unitl CPD gets its act together: Cite them, jail them, rinse, repeat.

46 KJ February 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

No one should risk death just crossing a street, and yet on that road pedestrians seem to regularly get killed — even when they are in a crosswalk. Obviously, something is wrong!

One problem is there clearly are too few crosswalks! Unfortunately, when faced with having to detour a quarter of a mile just to get to a store right across the street, people will chance jaywalking.

Also, why is the speed limit in a congested commercial area like most of Clayton Rd 40 miles per hour?! Slow it down — way down!! Even in a car it’s scary when you slow to turn into a shopping area but the cars behind you don’t want to slow down and seem oblivious to your car’s flashing turn light. It’s a wonder there aren’t more rear-enders.

47 Sad world! February 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Many years ago, I had to do some community service. We had to clean up a few homeless encampments. It was shocking and sad to say the least. One was behind a church under an overpass and there were rows of beds on either side of the underpass, possessions and stacks of bottles and cans. We threw away everything, EVERYTHING. As we left the ‘crew’ of homeless folks came storming down the road towards their encampment. The city of Concord can keep cleaning up these encampments and the homeless just migrate to another spot and rebuild. Same “crew” I saw 12 years ago is still lurking around Concord bumming and doing what they do,,,
As for the homeless man that got hit, I see jaywalkers everyday, on Clayton Rd, Monument, etc. And go figure, me, an upstanding law-abiding gal gets a jaywalking ticket for IN a crosswalk because the hand became a solid red before I made it through the intersection. Good job on that one guys. :(

48 Parsnip February 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

@#16 — No, it’s universal. I’ll never forget walking 5th Avenue in Manhattan getting ready to cross to the Empire State building. Two teenagers started their walk with the pedestrian light, and a cab driver making a right turn struck them. They got up, brushed themselves off, collected their items, gave an embarrassed grin — and continued walking.

The locals could tell I was a visitor. I was the only one who screamed.

49 @Winston #26 February 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Not always. People are so damn impatient. I’ve seen tons of people jaywalk just because they don’t want to wait an extra minute for a pedestrian green light. These are the same people who, when driving behind me, get pissed off when I stop for a yellow light about to turn red. Some people are just wound up too tight for their own good.

50 Lari February 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

@Doesn’t surprise me: I used to go to Food Maxx to save $$ on a variety of staples and frequent Bill’s Ace Hardware, too, but honestly the whole area just gets me down (the reasons you mentioned) and I’d rather spend the extra money to shop in a better area. It’s sad to read about getting killed, but I’m not surprised. This past summer, I was waiting for the light on Bailey and I saw one of the homeless guys just saunter his way across traffic on Clayton Road, slow as can be. A car had to swerve out of his way and he just hollered obscenities and gave the car the finger.

51 concord99 February 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM

@Winston #22:

You really need to be educated.

Shelters are useless. They have too many rules, like you have to wait in line to get in, and be in by 7 PM. The shelter you go to changes each night and you have to be bussed to the correct one. Plus, they offer no privacy and are not open year-round, or even during the day. And there are waiting lists for them. I myself would prefer a homeless encampment to a shelter.

52 concord99 February 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM

@Thinking of the driver, 321:

“No one seems to be thinking about the driver who hit the guy. How traumatic it must be for that person to have someone pop into traffic and right in front of their car.”

We don’t think of the driver because he wasn’t injured, and because he injured a completely innocent pedestrian! Yes, I am sure it very traumatic for him, but it sure beats being almost dead in a hospital. BTW, in the rest of the states, jay walking is normal. It’s only a big deal and enforec in KKKalifornia.

“f people, like this guy, choose to behave in a way that is not only unsafe, but against the law, he has to suffer the consequences of his choice.”

Wow, talk about being a total jerk. “he has to suffer the consequences”???? The driver is at fault. You need to drive slowly enough to be able to stop in an emergency, which he was not doing.

53 Hi February 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The driver was not under the influence , not on the phone , not nothing . Kayyyyyyyyyy . Damn if you where not there shut up . People should not be jay walking point blank PERIOD . Sorry but truth hurts

54 Anonymouse February 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Are we sure this is Mitch ? I too have seen the guys there in that area and have known who mitch is for near 20 yrs. I haven’t seen him out there in a long time …..

55 Darwin February 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Claycord bloggers need to learn the difference betweem being homeless and a bum. All that being said, it is a bummer the bum got hurt.

56 concord99 February 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM
57 @ 52 February 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

You are so wrong.The ped was not innocent.. He broke the law jaywalking! The driver was the innocent party. And just because jaywalking is normal doesn’t make it right.

The driver needs to drive the speed limit, which I’m sure they were doing.

I am not sad that one less bum is on the streets. Now we just need to get rid of the rest.

58 karebear February 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ahhhh rip mitch i knew him.just from.walking ,how sad hes been really sick :( god bless him

59 CLAYCORD.com February 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

@Concord99, there is an empty lot right next to Taco Bell, which is where the photographer said the homeless camp was set up.

60 Anonymouse February 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

It’s where there is a Xmas tree lot every year

61 Anonymouse February 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Concord99 just use those arrows to look on the other side of Taco Bell. It’s there in plain view

62 Low February 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Is there anyone else who thinks that Clayton is very dark at night?? Street reflectors are old and hardly reflect the lights from cars. City leaders take note. Replace the street reflectors and brighten streetlights on Clayton in the area where the accident happened. Just take a ride there at night and you will see what I am talking about.

63 been living in concord all my life .... February 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

@#62

they are right about it being dark … and that why i hate driving at night on clayton rd and other streets up and down concord ….

Come on city workers and the mayor lets get these fixed … how many more ppl will get hit by a car before anyone will do anything about it?

well we’ never know ….

and i lived here since 1974 and had been driving since at age 19 .. even then it was hard see at night then …

ENUFF SAID !!! :) ;)

64 concord99 February 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Mr. Mayor for pointing the location out. I was looking for a wooded area by a river. I guess the homeless are getting more brazen everyday…setting up a camp in an area without tree coverage.

65 We all need rules February 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Sad that the choices that Mitch made will affect others for a very long time. Police won’t ticket because they can’t afford to pay fines, so why bother, but if you look like you can afford the price of a ticket, you get one.

66 claycordiette February 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

A tragic accident for all involved and one that will last with those involved for years v. Us talking about it.

67 Cowellian February 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM

It is entirely the fault of the jaywalker. Trying to shift the blame to the driver, the city, or even the road is just plain delusional.

68 @cowellian February 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Thank you .

69 10-55maus February 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Have to chime in again. Roads were built for Cars,Trucks, Busses, Motorcycles, etc. Big Fast Moving Heavy Objects. Kind of scary, like a herd of buffalo, or elephants. Accomodations were made when these things were constructed to deal with the occasional biped that needed to cross them. Granted, the cross walk things aren’t always conveniently located for the immediate urges of the biped.

Sorry, biped, if you stumble out into the road, looking like road, my large dangerous object is probably not going to stop for you like it would in the cartoons. That’s just physics. Nature at work. No, I’m not twizzling my hair, applying lipstick, lighting a splif, or pushing the radio button. I’m just trying to avoid punting your oblivious carcass.

70 Feedup February 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I would like to take this one step further. I live off Denkinger up near the Naval Station, and every DARN day, there is an old couple that walk hand in hand in the street….back behind the park. I can not tell you how many times on a foggy morning these two have almost been hit. I just do not get it. We have very nice sidewalks, why the street?

I finally decided the next time I see them I truly think I will call the police or at least yell at them.

71 Sar Casm February 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I drove by the scene at around 10pm coming back from Five Guys. Sure hope the pedestrian is all right.

72 you people are ridiculous!!! February 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

You all are pretty heartless.. Let’s step back for a minute, who cares if he was jaywalking, or homeless he is still a person, he has a family, there is people who love him!! What if this man was someone you knew or loved.. It’s sad for all parties involved!! Stop being such heartless jerks!! Get a life if the only thing you have is to sit here and talk trash about a man who was hit by car, be it because of jaywalking or not!!!!!!!

73 Don't Censor Me Bro February 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM

@C99 #52

a) “BTW, in the rest of the states, jay walking is normal.”

WTH??? Breaking the law impacting drivers in a 40 MPH zone…inappropriate; NOT normal!

b) “The driver is at fault.” Sez U? Clearly incorrectly.

c) “because he injured a completely innocent pedestrian!”

jay walkers are innocent? Try this on for size – the law breaking jay walker caused the collision, which resulted in injury to himself…

Ah, perspective….

74 Jessie February 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Is it possible he wanted to go to that better place? You say he had a tough life. You say he had liver cancer. He also had a place to stay but chose not to stay there? Could it be he was wanting that 2nd life?
I feel real bad for the driver if that was the case.

75 Grateful American Girl February 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM

#
I don’t think anyone here is talking trash. They are all exercising our constitutional right to FREEDOM OF SPEECH! We are all lucky to have this forum to communicate local news. I enjoyed reading everyone’s post. Its nice to get to know my neighbors…. I am glad everyone here is able to voice their opinion! Everyone is different!! I like the funny people and the kind people best, but that’s just my opinion. Yea! :-D

76 Liver February 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hmmm…I wonder how he got liver cancer? too many trips to 7-11. No wonder the clerk knew him. To think his sister was taking care of him, but he would rather be a bum. That’s the way bums operate.

77 Hello! February 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Thank you #72. It doesn’t matter if he was homeless (which he wasn’t) He is still a human being. He has family that does love him.

78 Winston February 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Roads like Clayton Road – high speed, multi lane arterial roads with lots of driveways and businesses along them – are the most dangerous type of urban/suburban road because they combine high speed through travel with low speed access to businesses which also attract pedestrians (and the homeless who tend to congregate where they can get handouts or services). Separating these functions is a better approach. Sadly, retrofitting a road like Clayton would be a real challange, but one that I’m sure our city’s highly paid engineering staff would be up to if they were doing their jobs. Highway deaths and maimings aren’t necessary – they have been essentially eliminated in the Netherlands, for example. The are mostly the result of unsafe road design.

79 Seen it All February 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I have said for several years now that Concord needs to lower its allowable speed limits. 40MPH was Ok when Clayton Road and /or Treat Blvd were out in the country, but today they are in the city.
Speed limit 40 . . . people drive 50! (I am not saying the person driving on Sunday nights accident was speeding – I am just makeing a general statement)
So, Concord has another traffic death to add to its record. (Perhaps if the police were not so busy fighting violence in the Monument / Detroit area they could spend more time trying to control the speeding driver that prevail in the city). I live with a view of Clayton Road from my window. I see cars, all day long, speeding (you can tell) and committing other infractions of the vehicle code. When I am out driving, there is not a day that I do not see at least one car run a red light, usually more. Drivers today, like most of society, have no regard for other people . . . it’s all about them. As long as we have these out of date speed limits and a society that only thinks of itself, we will continue to have problems, unnecessary accidents and rampant crime in our streets.

80 DRIVER IS THE VICTIM February 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

@you people are ridiculous!!!@72

I noticed you didn’t mention anything about the DRIVER, who’s life has been altered forever.

I find that ridiculous.

It’s nice to know, though, that the next time a drunk driver kills someone or some family, you’ll have plently of compassion for the drunk driver.

Oh, right, it’s just a mistake.

81 Don't Censor Me Bro February 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Failure to Yield: Pedestrians generally must yield right-of-way to vehicles (which are near enough to constitute an immediate hazard) unless crossing at marked or unmarked crosswalks. (CVC §21954).

82 Shirley Wilson February 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I have not heard anything on the news or the internet of Mitch having passed. Until then I will still keep him in my heart, yes he was a transient, yes he was an alcoholic, but he was human being too. He had serious problems and I wish he would or could have accepted the help offered him. But it is not for me to judge him, only care about him. He didn’t deserve this kind of ending to his life. I am not in any way blaming the driver, Mitch made a terrible mistake in jaywalking and not in a crosswalk, but if we haven’t walked in his shoes or know his personal story, how can we attack him and say such cruel things about him. I don’t know what the answer is to the homeless problem in Concord or anywhere in America I just know it exists and these people are still human beings.

83 caring person February 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It saddens me to hear about Mitch. I’ve spoken numerous times with him and his brother, Donnie — not to bawl them out but to get to know them as people. I found them to be intelligent and participated in our talks. The problem here is the addiction for when the first thing they want was their beer first thing in the morning. One of them said it was the only way they could get through the day. They have accepted this is where they are and where they will remain. Many times over the years, I have provided them with food and water. Never to give them any money. I am aware of the homeless shelters in Concord and found them to be a relatively good place for them to be. If only funds were available which could provide a place where the homeless could go – feel safe – get over their addictions and to start feeling better about themselves. But as it is, they don’t see anything else. There is alot of good in them and they deserve to find it. I have them in my prayers every day. .

84 Shirley Wilson February 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I came across Mitch’s brother Donnie Tuesday evening. He said Mitchell is in a drug induced coma and his chances of survival are 50/50. I will keep him in my thoughts and heart.

85 PollyP925 February 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I met Mitch , wow, probably 15-18 years ago. I saw him near the liquor store near Hunan Express and my Caspers Hot Dogs on several occasions. He reminded me of a family member. And seeing him, and hearing his story over the years I was glad to see that I was right, that he did have family who cared. No one, until you have a family member with mental illness and/or substance abuse issues can ever know how this feels to have your loved one on the streets despite so many efforts, so much money, so many resources of your time, energy and love to help them… fix them. I get it. Many don’t. And I’ve always wished I’d hear a success story about Mitch. I hope he gets a second chance, and I hope he’ll make it count. I wish his family well, and peace, during this time and I hope to hear of his recovery in the future.