The Brand New Newhall Park Play Structure is Almost Complete!

February 7, 2013 13:00 pm · 33 comments

new_play

As we first reported back in July, this $245,000 project to build a playground consists of a $107,000 contract to a Novato company to purchase and install the playground equipment (pictured above) at Newhall, and the rest of the $138,000 of the project’s budget will go towards construction of the playground area infrastructure and site improvements, according to the City of Concord.

The project is expected to be completed by March, and is being funded by Measure WW & Parkland Funds.

Here’s a drawing of what the new playground is expected to look like:

Thanks to “Flash” for the picture of the new play structure!

1 jj February 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

the local bums should enjoy this!!

2 Reality says... February 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Mayor, do you have a status on the progress of the repairs needed to open the trail off Pine Hollow Road and Rolling Woods? Since the fire (3-4 months ago) nothing has been done.

3 aannoonn February 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

So typical Claycord….I just KNEW the first comment would be negative (tweakers, bums, drunks etc.).
Why not celebrate that the kids have something FUN to do OUTSIDE! Yay, they’ll be getting some exercise!

4 Mr. John February 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It is very nice. I think it should have been possible on a smaller budget, but it is nice. I hope it survives and is not destroyed by vandals.

5 GoodGrief February 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Let’s save this picture for a year from now. A before and after.

6 East Bay Transplant February 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

its going to have a fence around it…to keep the BAD APPLES out.

7 Shuley February 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I say a 6 million dollar party is in order…

8 GoGo Gomez February 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Can’t wait!

9 Starfish February 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

This will be a nice park-kids need something to do.

10 Connie Dobbs February 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I want to play on the toy bulldozer.

11 Anonymrs. February 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It’ll be awesome to let my kids play amongst all the used condoms and cigarette butts. Sorry to be negative but does anyone really expect that there will be a different outcome?

12 Melanie February 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This is a much needed addition to Newhall Park. There are so many young people with small children living in the area.

13 Yayy February 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

It’s is exciting! I’ve been taking my son to quarry park because its so close to our house but this isn’t that much further and it looks a lot more fun than quarry park! He’s going to love it!!!

14 Nick February 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

where exactly in the park is this play structure going? by the parking lots somewhere I presume?

15 anon February 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Its near the restrooms and soccer fields by the big tree.

they were pouring concrete this morning.

16 PollyP925 February 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Nick, yes, right by the main parking lot (as I call it) off Turtle Creek.

17 may February 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I used to walk in this park about a year ago are the homless still using it or is it safe now?

18 Why February 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Why must you people be SO NEGATIVE! Oh I forgot your on your high horse! Be happy for the little ones and shut it!!!! Geez!!!

19 Jim February 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@aannoonn….the reason some are negative is the reality that Concord has become over run with homeless…my daughter found a needle in this park. The will simply be a new place for the bums and tweekers to take shelter at night or a nice canvas for the local gang that claims Newhall as territory…I wish it wasn’t so but sometimes it is what it is…sorry to upset your delicate sensibilities.

20 Starfish February 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

So this thing is almost done?

21 Anon2you February 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

As soon as it is finished it will be vandalized I am sure! I know that sound like a negative response, but if the tweakers and bums will destroy a play area like Mateo’s Dream, then they will definitely destroy this little gem.
Week 1 – Graffiti
Week 2 – Broken glass all around/More Graffiti
Week 3 – Urine smell emanating from various areas around structure (maybe a Deuce or two dropped nearby) More Graffiti and some broken pieces, More broken bottles
Week 4 – Several attempts to light the structure on fire. Graffiti scratched into plastic areas, slide covered in urine and fecal material. Urine smell overwhelming and even dogs will not enter the area…

22 Grant Heinitz February 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

so not only do you get to watch your children play at the new park but you get to watch your vehicle as well for break-ins

23 Susan February 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I have to agree with Anon2you; there will be horrible wreckage and chaos around and on that structure–and the smell from the deposits made by humans (not animals) will be overwhelming and devastating. Let’s hope the city has the insight to see that this is a serious concern and they have a solution in place.

24 Cowellian February 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Connie’s right. That looks like a fun toy.

25 Elwood February 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Anon2you said it better than I could.

Scum is everywhere.

26 Lorelei February 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I wouldn’t take MY kids there……

27 ale February 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I live right by this park and use it multiple times a week and have never seen the homeless or mess there.

The biggest mess is normally people leaving dog crap on the trails.

28 mommatotwo February 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We used to live on Newhall Parkway and always wished we had a playground at Newhall to play on. Can’t wait to try it out !

29 Always Right February 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Is it too late to add a feature? Need a bright light that illuminates the play area at night… But only turns on when the police drive by.

30 Abe on Ayers February 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I welcome this addition. Newhall has a dog park for dogs, bocce courts for adults, and now a playground for kids. Plus, it’s something for the kids to do while their siblings play soccer.

31 Dennis February 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Any word on which color – red or blue – will be needed to keep mama from being attacked?

32 Randome Task February 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

A Novato company ….again check the council members and see whos relative got this contract. Really not one contractor in Concord was good enough to purchase manufactured parts and put them together. Concord again throwing their ( I don’t care about Concord ) mentality around. Oh and i bet someone got a kickback here …just as all the todos santos money has. Criminals running the city and laughing at you as you attend fake meetings and your votes mean nothing.

33 mommatotwo February 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

A light would be helpful as a deterrent from bored teenagers at the park. Won’t be long before its vandalized. Fresh canvas.