Concord Planning Commission Passes Ban on Outdoor Cultivation of Marijuana

February 7, 2013 8:06 am · 127 comments

marijuana

The Concord City Council on Wednesday night passed a ban on the outdoor cultivation of marijuana.

The issue of banning the outdoor cultivation of medical marijuana first started on October 9, 2012, when, according to the City of Concord, “a Concord woman complained that her next door neighbor was cultivating marijuana plants which created an offensive odor. The Concord Police Department investigated this complaint, and determined that the individual cultivating the marijuana was a medical marijuana patient, and therefore is lawfully permitted to do so under State law. The Concord Police Department has since confirmed that there are other residential properties in the City where medical marijuana is being cultivated on an ongoing basis, in varying quantities.”

The City also says “Outdoor medical marijuana cultivation poses the potential threat of criminal harm as well as interference with the welfare of surrounding property owners. First, as indicated by the individual who spoke at public comment at the October 9 Council Meeting, mature medical marijuana plants often emit offensive “skunk like” fumes, which can interfere with the use and enjoyment of neighboring properties. Moreover, the presence of medical marijuana plants grown outdoors creates a risk to public safety, since their value and visibility encourage trespass and theft, posing the risk of violence and injury. To the extent that medical marijuana is grown in a location close to schools, there is also the potential for theft and use by school-aged children.”

This item will now go to the Concord City Council for a final vote within the next few weeks.

101 Lorelei February 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Ha Ha Ha! The City Council just hasn’t figured out a way to make money from individuals growing their own pot! Watch a cancer patient waste away because he/she can’t keep food down, and then tell me that marijuana is not a valuable drug. The “legal” drug companies want ALL the profits, so they don’t want you to help yourself. I agree with the fact that alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and all manner of other drugs are deadly, but we know how to make money with them, so they stay. I’m old and I LOVE weed the same way I LOVE a glass of wine. Get a grip America; you are waaaaay too provincial!

102 old concord February 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

@Elwood I love mudders=)

103 Master Blaster February 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

@95

“Nothing that we could of said would change the councils minds, they knew they were going to pass it the second they walked in the door.”

You are right…Concord, where families come first! : )

104 greg February 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Im for legalization as well but when your growing weed plants that straight up stank right next to your neighbors house, thats just straight up disrespectful and pretty stupid. The exuse about the bbq smell is dumb, people dont bbq 24/7 so its not in your face all day and night. I like it when pot smokers start getting all political on here though, Its frickin hilarious. The fact is, that the council is just trying too prevent crime and help out the people who have a right too use there yards without stanky pot plants in there face. And this is coming from someone who’s had a cannabis card and used to smoke daily until i grew out of it. No one is trying to take away your “medicine”, people are just trying to keep more of a family atmosphere in there neighborhood, I hope everyone can understand that.

105 Anon February 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Just infect your neighbors yard with vertriciullum wilt and he won’t be growing anything, that and white flies.

Come to think of it,

Have any of you pot heads realized that by growing your “medicine” inside you would greatly reduce your need for pesticides. While its a proven “fact” that smoking pot cannot hurt you, incinerating and inhailing pesticides will pretty probably give you cancer. Of couses chemical fertilizers may do that too but at least the weed is natural.

You don’t need a special grow room just a sunny window, or does it bother you that your house will smell like sh%#.

This is just more of the lefty bs. You are finally allowed to do something, but instead of just moving on you have to force it onto your neighbors. Then get mad and act discriminated against when people voice their objections. Because after all only your current cravings really matter.

106 Susan February 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I like the way you said that, Anon:
“Because after all only your current cravings really matter” This is a treasure.

107 Anon February 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Round Up

Super soaker

Midnight

Ps who BBQs 24hrs a day seven days a week for three months straight? Unless they have the munches of course.

108 old concord February 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

@nondope You just so how far away from the truth you are. Med. Marijuana or dope as you call it.Silly old style propaganda Go out learn and praise God you don’t need to use it. @ lorelei Your to fun. Unfortunatly you are right about the money. Someone else wrote about the money. That’s why I say we need to get ahead of the greedy people who are waiting in the wings to come and fleece Concord. The real money is made on the black market and the dispenseries in some cities now. When this backwards thinking law happens. We just hold Claycordians hostage to the crooks. We have a great oppertunity here to harnass the value of this herb. The old weapon staition would give our city a great oppertunity to bring in alot of money to the city. The thing I like about the location is no one even comes in to your main city area. Their off the freeway and right back on. They can take it to where ever they came from and never bother the citizens of Concord. I don’t know if we could have co op of Claycordians and keep the money here. Our police and firemen can once agin get a raise They do diserve. I would like to see us use some to go for compation care of those in need. Claycordians takeing care of Claycordians

109 Austin Powers February 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

“keep spinning baby” aka: Pot Heads.

110 old concord February 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

@ anon It’s not a craveing. I choose the med. marijuana over the oxycotn,soma and other American drugs for many reasons. I can’t explain all the reasons I choose to use this drug on line.The question is who gave you the right to judge me and the way I choose to medicate my self. Education you need to learn more about this subject. I still love ya all=)

111 @nondope February 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

What are you, twelve? Did you just time warp out of your 1988 DARE class? Here’s a list for you:

-Steve Jobs (Apple)
-Richard Branson (Virgin)
-Michael Bloomberg (Richer than all Claycord commentators put together)
-Ted Turner (Major American TV station owner…when that meant something)
– Arnold Schwarzenegger (Actor, Governator)
– At LEAST our last 3 presidents
– Every major entertainer, artist, musician, actor
– Most software developers
– Damn near every major athlete
– Anyone who has gone to college

This list took me a whopping 10 seconds to compile. The only list that would have been easier to compile is “successful people that are also or have been chronic masturbators”. Hint: it’s all of them.

112 Diablo Dude February 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

@nondope

Please don’t bring chronic masturbaters into the conversation, that can be a sore subject.

113 Travis Bickle February 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

@ Jeff swift #64:

Did you just compare this ban to racism and sexism? Take another hit and write another comment. You’re making an excellent argument to ban all uses of cannabis.

114 Anon February 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Please ignore the trolls, idiots and low life who post here (note to moderator, why do you allow there idiotic postings?), this is the right choice. Thank you to the city for doing the right thing. This has nothing to do with individual rights, it is simply being a good neighbor. If you low life’s want to grow pot, do it in your home. Of course when it burns down due to you being too stoned to care that your house is on fire, you’ll have no one to blame but your loser selves. Hopefully this will be an example to other cities so we can stop the drug culture from taking hold, more than it has, in our cities.

Thanks again!

115 Howard K. Mullins III February 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

@Lorelei February 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You are correct.

Marijuana needs to be legalized and regulated. Hemp needs to grown like cotton. There is a hell of a lot this weed can do for good things.

So many puppets, so few puppeteers. Time to cut the strings.

116 Howard K. Mullins III February 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

@Anon February 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Thanks for speaking you mind.

Too bad you don’t want to allow others to do so as well.

expletive deleted

117 Howard K. Mullins III February 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

@@nondope February 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Crude statement at the end.

Your comments had some merit until you hit the gutter.

Now? Worthless.

118 Anon February 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

@old concord

“The question is who gave you the right to judge me and the way I choose to medicate my self.”

Didn’t judge you just gave an opinion that left you with no choice but to play the “hurt little victim” card. Like I said leftist bs

Never said you shouldn’t grow it just said don’t be an asshole about it and inflict it on you neighbors.

119 JAC February 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Have the pro potters be taking lessons from the NRA?

“It’s not enough that pot is legal, now I must be allowed to stuff it down your throat!”

Assault bongs on every hip with thirty joint magazines in every pocket!

Pry my hash pipe from my cold dead fingers!

120 Atticus Thraxx February 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Howard K. Mullins III straight up regulatin’. You go boy. ‘Bout time someone rode herd on these lost little doggies. What with their marijuana joints and bong pipes. It’s anarchy is what it is.
Next thing you know they”ll start lettin’ the gays marry. And you’ll be able to get an abortion from Amazon.com. Anarchy I tell ya.

121 old concord February 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM

@ anon Are you on the council?

122 @nondope now @howard February 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

@Howard

A joke about masturbation shuts my point down? That logic may work great when arguing with children, amongst adults it just makes you look like you can’t handle context. At best a person who is easily distracted from the main point of what is being said. At worst, it’s a pretty sorry attempt at deflecting the topic. If not desperation to find any reason to devalue a factual point.

P.S. MASTURBATION

123 only 5 years here February 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Why wouldn’t I want to grow a couple of plants and save around $200.00 like last year. Just put them in the ground and water. Not some indoor grow tent, grow lights, specialty fertilizer , etc. We were discrete about it to avoid trespassing from the neighbor’s teenage gardener. Can we see about banning blowers while banning things. The same gardeners blow for about an hour every week all year. The dog across the street barks all the time, are there regulations to ban barking dogs? or how about all dogs? I can understand not wanting to live next door to a grow operation of cannabis or for that matter just about anything. Is any consideration given to the proportion ? Couldn’t the problem that started this be addressed though regulations on noxious odors?

124 J February 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

The woman who started this, lives near the Mayor of Concord. She walked around the neighborhood with a petition.
I agree that having to grow inside isn’t very economical, with the electricity, and all the possible fires.
I think The people should get to vote, if they are going to try and take our rights away. I thought the United States was a free Country. First this, what is next?
Come on Concord get your head out of your ass!

125 old concord February 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

@master green thumb I hope to see you agin. At the next council meeting I hope to see you all there. The city council pretty much went said they were doing it for the children. Then here they had ahigh school boy talk for the ban, I didn’t want to bring in the kids but people need to hear the truth from some other young people. I’m going to try and get 3 young people to explain why this is ban is bad government. =)

126 old concord February 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM

was hopeing to get this reporters ear that wrote the story for the cctimes but when I hit send comment under his story. I got I have to be a facebook member. Maybe try him by phone. =)

127 g0tgot February 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM

dam whats wrong with people. i guess ill have to start cutting down the jasmine , the rosemary and the mint too .