United States Postal Service to End Weekend Mail Delivery

February 6, 2013 · 82 comments

The United States Postal Service (USPS) announced plans today to transition to a new delivery schedule during the week of August 5, 2013 that includes package delivery Monday through Saturday, and mail delivery Monday through Friday. The Postal Service expects to generate cost savings of approximately $2 billion annually, once the plan is fully implemented.

The following information is from the USPS

“The Postal Service is advancing an important new approach to delivery that reflects the strong growth of our package business and responds to the financial realities resulting from America’s changing mailing habits,” said Patrick R. Donahoe, Postmaster General and CEO. “We developed this approach by working with our customers to understand their delivery needs and by identifying creative ways to generate significant cost savings.”

Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages. However, recent strong growth in package delivery (14 percent volume increase since 2010) and projections of continued strong package growth throughout the coming decade led to the revised approach to maintain package delivery six days per week.

“Our customers see strong value in the national delivery platform we provide and maintaining a six-day delivery schedule for packages is an important part of that platform,” said Donahoe. “As consumers increasingly use and rely on delivery services — especially due to the rise of e-commerce — we can play an increasingly vital role as a delivery provider of choice, and as a driver of growth opportunities for America’s businesses.”

Once implemented during August of 2013, mail delivery to street addresses will occur Monday through Friday. Packages will continue to be delivered six days per week. Mail addressed to PO Boxes will continue to be delivered on Saturdays. Post Offices currently open on Saturdays will remain open on Saturdays.

Market research conducted by the Postal Service and independent research by major news organizations indicate that nearly seven out of ten Americans (70 percent) supported the switch to five-day delivery as a way for the Postal Service to reduce costs in its effort to return the organization to financial stability.¹ Support for this approach will likely be even higher since the Postal Service plans to maintain six-day package delivery.

The Postal Service is making the announcement today, more than six months in advance of implementing five-day mail delivery schedule, to give residential and business customers time to plan and adjust. The Postal Service plans to publish specific guidance in the near future for residential and business customers about its new delivery schedule.

Given the ongoing financial challenges, the Postal Service Board of Governors last month directed postal management to accelerate the restructuring of Postal Service operations in order to strengthen Postal Service finances.

“The American public understands the financial challenges of the Postal Service and supports these steps as a responsible and reasonable approach to improving our financial situation,” said Donahoe. “The Postal Service has a responsibility to take the steps necessary to return to long-term financial stability and ensure the continued affordability of the U.S. Mail.”
The operational plan for the new delivery schedule anticipates a combination of employee reassignment and attrition and is expected to achieve cost savings of approximately $2 billion annually when fully implemented.

The Postal Service is currently implementing major restructuring throughout its retail, delivery and mail processing operations. Since 2006, the Postal Service has reduced its annual cost base by approximately $15 billion, reduced the size of its career workforce by 193,000 or 28 percent, and has consolidated more than 200 mail processing locations. During these unprecedented initiatives, the Postal Service continued to deliver record high levels of service to its customers.

While the change in the delivery schedule announced today is one of the actions needed to restore the financial health of the Postal Service, legislative change is urgently needed to address matters outside the Postal Service’s control. The Postal Service continues to seek legislation to provide it with greater flexibility to control costs and generate new revenue and encourages the 113th Congress to make postal reform legislation an urgent priority.

The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

1 Schmee February 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

As long as they are still doing packages on Saturday that’s fine. I only get copies of paper bills I already see online and junk mail as far as letters go anyways.

2 Killjoy February 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Why don’t they just do it now, instead of waiting until August?

3 Mr John February 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

This has interesting impacts for Netflix…

4 Iggey February 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Actually I could do with one day per week if It was a set day. I would just roll out the recycle bin and take what I actually needed and toss all that junk mail.
I wonder what the carbon foot print is delivering mail to every household in America per day?

5 Anon February 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Wow, 100 plus years and it all changes with Obama. I guess he finally delivered on his promise. Real Change.

6 Clayton Chick February 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM

They say packages will still be delivered, I wonder if Netflix are considered a package?

7 Ken February 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Bring back the Pony Express.

8 It is high time.. February 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

This is long overdue. Any “non-government” run business would have either adapted their business model to their target market, or have gone bankrupt. Funny how private corporations with “share holders” are much more responsive to change and innovation which impacts the stock price/bottom line.

Any socialistic (aka. government run) entity can plod along for years, incurring obscene financial losses…and the shareholder (taxpayer) is largely ignored.

I is long overdue. However, some will bemoan this cutback. Don’t like it? Then email your congressional representative….er,…no…lick a stamp instead! They retired the Pony Express also, BTW.

9 Styles February 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I agree with Killjoy. Get it done and maybe they can get it right. I get mail delivered wrong at least every other week and so do my neighbors. I live in Concord and my Mom lives in Martinez and her heighborhood has the same issue. The Post Office and the Union that they have to deal with need to realize that when the employees don’t care enough to get thier done right they can cut and cut and still loose money. If employees in the private sector made deliveries as bad as the post office they would get fired!

10 Parsnip February 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Great! A weekend reprieve for me from transferring what USPS usually delivers to the trash. Anything important for me is in person, online or by email.

11 Annon from Antioch February 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Fine with me. I think we need to go back to working 5 days a week instead of 24/7 and have weekends with the family. Things are not better now.

12 Reality says... February 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Years overdue IMO. Interesting how they never mention the cost of the retirement packages impacting the bottom line. Another example of over compensated retirement structures and poorly run operations just destroying a business that would seem to have an endless revenue stream. Just let UPS or FedEx take it over already.

People know they can get Netflix movies over the internet via their compatible DVD player now right? You can get a DVD player for $100 at Frys.

13 Mr. John February 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Netflix comes through normal mail. I’m wondering if this hurts companies like Netflix (because customers will think of this as reduced service and leave) or helps them (because they have to service one less day each week).

14 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Anon, unfortunately, it was your boy George W. Bush that killed the Postal Service, in 2006. Read this (if you’re able):

15 Irene February 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I have been expecting this announcement for many years. So it does not surprise me. As long as the USPS has a few offices open for people who can’t get there during “normal” hours, it shouldn’t be a problem. I do feel bad for the people that may lose their jobs.

I find that we receive a lot of junk mail, which goes directly from the mail box to the recycling container.

16 Blah Blah blah February 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM

@anon

no you can thank email and online bill pay it was only a matter of time.

17 Jeff February 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Blame Bush!!!!

I guess that never gets old, huh Matt?

18 DoReMi February 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Anon & MattP: Neither your boy Obama or GeorgeW were the nail in the P.O. coffin. This was a long time coming with email being the main reason. Also the benefit/retirement packages of postal workers is right up there with union managers. Obscene.

19 Mac February 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I wont miss mail on Saturday`s at all.

20 Indeed February 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

@ Matt… Get over yourself. O’Bummer has been in office for a while now (too long) so quit blaming George W. Bush for everything. The internet is one reason the Post Office is failing and NOT George W. Bush. I suggest you pull your head out.

21 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

The Postal Service has been forced to set aside about $20,000,000,000 to prefund employee health care benefits 75 years into the future. Benefits for employess that won’t be born for decades. No other business or government agency is forced to do this. If this law had not been enacted, the postal service would be $1.5 billion in the black today. I know most of you teabagger geniuses won’t cop to it, but it was Shrub who signed this into law. The truth hurts, I guess.

22 MG February 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

“Why don’t they just do it now, instead of waiting until August?”

Probably to rally public outcry to force Congress’ hand to alter the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act… approved by Republican-controlled Congress and signed into law by GWB. But since Al Gore invented the internet, maybe it’s his fault, too…*

(*this is not a partisan issue).

23 anon February 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Mailing of Netflix will soon be a thing of the past. It will be all online so no big deal.

Really they should go to 3 days a week. I get nothing that can’t wait a day or two.

24 notindebt February 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I would rather see them raise the price they charge for junk mail than cut down on delivery services. They removed the vending machines to buy stamps from the lobby so anyone who works from 8 to 5 is worse off and the lines are longer then ever.

25 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Small businesses (like mine) rely on the Postal Service to deliver invoices to customers and deliver payment checks to the business. I know for most of you it only means waiting and extra day or two for your beloved Netflix shipment, but for others, it’s a matter of making a living.

26 Laura Zah February 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

So now I will only get my neighbors mail 5 days a week?

27 Olivia February 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I tried to use UPS Next Day Air for a small package. $90. So instead I went to the Post Office for $10 and it got there in two days on Saturday. I wonder who lobbied the Republican congressman harder: FedEx or UPS? I’m with you, Matt.

28 Melanie February 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Finally!

29 Em Dubya February 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Bummer.

30 Area Resident February 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I think the USPS should just deliver one day a week, hopefully the day before neighborhood trash pickup. That way I can just replace my mailbox with the recycle bin and cut out the middle man — me.

31 LGS February 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I’d prefer Saturday only delivery. Smaller chance of the mail being stolen.

32 Antler February 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Matt Peterson at #25 ~ ~ ~ Those businesses and individuals who have mail boxes at the Post Office will still receive mail on Saturdays. (Which might lead to a discussion of how much additional box-rental revenue this will generate. But also, I’m thinking that few post office branches have the physical square footage to accommodate very many more private boxes…..so will they close some branches and move the others to larger spaces? or build? or ……?)

33 tony February 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

For those of you complaining about receiving junk mail, you can go on-line to “Do Not Mail” and have your name removed. It is similar to “Do Not Call”. It is good for 5 or more years. I have not received junk mail in over 5 years, nor do I receive unwanted solicitations through the mail, such as for credit card invitations. It really works.

34 Wall&Broad February 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Math is what killed the US Postal Service. Last year the USPS lost $16 billion; they expect to save $2 billion by ending Saturday delivery. This means the USPS will have do stop delivery 8 days a week to break even.

35 Anon777 February 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I agree with “It is High Time” and Matt Peterson. I’ve seen this coming for years and am only amazed it has taken them this long to come to this decision.

Honestly, I can’t think of the last time I mailed anything other than Christmas or birthday cards. I will not miss Saturday mail at all. There is nothing that cannot wait an extra day since most of it is junk. It goes directly from the mail box to the garbage can.

Last year, I mailed a small priority mail package to my daughter from my workplace in Walnut Creek to Sacramento. It took 6 days (instead of 2) and went from Walnut Creek to Oakland to Los Angeles to Oakland and finally to Sacramento then out for delivery. That makes no freaking sense and when you work like that you will never make money or get good customer satisfaction. Doesn’t matter how many times you call customer service, you never get what you need and the postal works seem ignorant, uncaring and unprofessional.

Even at my work place where we spend thousands of dollars a month on postage, you can’t leave a simple note for the postal worker and get an answer or compliance. We have a mail room and a somewhat small box that is never big enough for incoming mail (which means they put a key for another bigger box in the small box). Try as I might to request that they stop shoving so much mail in the small box because I can’t pull it out (just leave the key to the bigger box and put everything in there), they can’t seem to get it. They also need to speak English if they are working in our federal government and the mass population.

36 Dragon February 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

This will be a problem for those of us who rely on the mail, for certain. Small businesses, elderly residents, those who can’t afford high-speed internet (or who don’t want to send their financial information over the internet), the homebound, rural residents. This is going to have repercussions and backlash and I hope the USPS is ready for it.

I’ve recently been in contact with the supervisor for 94520 yet again over misdelivered mail, mail consistently arriving after 7pm, mailboxes being left unlocked and open, and the weekly ads being left in a large stack near the mailboxes but not actually in them. He said, basically, that they were already doing what they could and not to expect anything more (although he did say he’d tell the mail carrier to be sure to shut the mailbox fronts in the future).

@Realtiy #12, not all of Netflix’s dvd items can be streamed online (only about 10% of my dvd queue can be streamed), and not everyone has high speed internet with which to do so. It’s a brave new world, for sure, but we’re not all there yet.

37 Dragon February 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

@Notindebt – they removed the vending machines because now you can use the APC (Automated Postal Center) to buy stamps in the lobby. You don’t get the selection that you do by waiting in line, but it’s still possible.

You can also buy any sort of available stamp booklet/sheet over the internet, to be delivered by your mail carrier for a nominal S&H charge. I’ve done that a few times when I couldn’t stand in line but wanted something not available at the APC.

38 Julie February 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

great! less mail for the original owner’s son of the house we bought 15 YEARS AGO. yep, I still get mail for Phil Raines, even though he has not lived here in this house since 1998….crazy, eh?

39 Captain Bebops February 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Absolutely that bill requiring funding for staff not yet born should be rescinded. But I’m not sure that stopping Saturday delivery will create any public outcry. Americans are such sheeple anyway. Netflix already said they don’t care and it will help them get the big corporatist studios to move into streaming delivery.

A postal union officer told me in the 1980s that Saturday delivery should end because it was difficult to staff. Also that 3 day weekends were a mixed blessing as though they got a day off they had twice as much mail to deliver the following day.

40 Dorothy February 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I think they have been testing it already. There is no Saturday (junk) mail it seems like at least once, sometimes twice, a month for a while now.

41 Melody February 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

@Matt Peterson – can’t you invoice via email and pay invoices electronically? I have a second job at a small business who uses a practically free software that does this sort of thing all over the web. The only snail mail is checks cut to vendors and contractors.

The mail being delivered one less day a week doesn’t really affect me. I forget to bring in my mail except but about once or twice a week anyways. All my bills and paychecks are automated and I send all packages or urgent mail via UPS or Fed Ex. I do feel bad for those who will be laid off though.

42 Melody February 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

and PS. Netflix lost my business a long time ago when they doubled their fees for DVDs + streaming. If I really need to see a movie, I Red Box it for a buck, which all of you could be doing too if you’re that concerned about not having a movie delivered for Saturday night. Netflix has way bigger problems than their customers not receiving movies 1 more day per week.

43 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

@Melody- of course I can (and do) invoice and receive payment over the Internet. That doesn’t mean a significant percentage of those transactions don’t still take place via snail mail.

44 Mr. John February 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Netflix planned to go all streaming, but there were two problems: 1.) Some people still “like DVDs” / do not have the tech to stream, and 2.) The owners of the IP for the movies/TV/etc… all jacked up what they are charging for streaming access and/or are providing it through their own exclusive service. The result? Netflix can’t offer what it intended to offer at the cost it is charging now.

At some point, some company will come along and charge $100 a month (just a guess on the amount) to give you streaming access to every current show, every movie, etc… (except stuff in or recently in theaters). However, until that day comes (probably 5+ years away), streaming is going to be a lot like HBO on demand – a limited number of titles available for a while before they disappear.

45 RanchgirlCA February 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

No sympathy from me for the workers on this one. The stories I hear from Postal workers and their families… The way these folks are protected in their jobs and milk the system. Not all, but quite a few. Cut the lazy workers off and see what that saves.

46 Screwy Louie February 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Prisons and the Postal Service are bloated and outdated.
They should both be privatized.

47 Shuley February 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

@ Matt – You can give up on trying to educate the neocon Obama-haters here. It’s like trying to teach a donkey to tap dance. Of course that piece of legislation is what is causing the USPS to operate several billion dollars in the red. Officials from the USPS testifying before congress have repeated over and over again that the pension fund requirements are the ONLY reason they are getting slaughtered on their books. Sure email changed things, however, the simultaneous online retail boom increased package flow and made up for a lot of lost mail from email. Do I send less letters? Yes. Do I get more packages from shopping online? Yes. Do I get less junk mail? Hell no.

48 Mel February 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I have been saying they should cut out Saturday service for years if they want to cut back on costs. The pension amounts retired USPS employees receive are outrageous and should be cut back to help alleviate some of the money this agency bleeds. Maybe I am just bitter because I have to rely on my 401k to retire because pensions will be a thing of the past by the time I reach that point in my life in 30+ years.

49 Starfish February 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

@Mr. John
Netflix did weigh in the benefits of streaming vs the dvds; and the diverting to only streaming option was taken out long ago. The costs of streaming video would definitely out weigh the benefits. Now that Blockbuster is going under-which was the intent of Nteflix, they will continue to promote the dvds because this is the prime source of income for this company. Personally, I don’t subscribe to Netflix as I did not prescribe to Blockbuster because I see it as a constant trickle of wasted revenue.

50 Olivia February 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Not everything should be privatized, Screwy. Like prisons (can you see the potential for judges taking kickbacks for prison sentences?) Or water companies. In certain South American countries they tried just that and made it illegal to take water from any non-chargeable source: rivers, streams, even the rain collected in buckets. Popular uprisings put an end to it.

51 SPARTAN DAD February 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM

GET WITH THE TIMES PEOPLE, THEY SHOULD JUST DO AWAY WITH THE SERVICE ALL TOGETHER ITS A USELESS DATED SERVICE. EMAILS OR FED EX FOR ME!

52 Howard K. Mullins III February 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Taking this a step further, home deliveries should be every other day, none on Sat. One week a home will get two deliveries, the next 3 deliveries and so fourth.

I do believe that privatization is a better plan. The government has a horrific reputation for running things. If t US government was put in charge of managing the Pacific Ocean, it would be a dry waste land in 5 years. Most government employees would take it home.

Big Corp, like BofA and Wells Fargo won most of the aquifers on this continent now. Soon there will be a huge water shortage and incredibly high water costs. You can thank the government for allowing private companies to purchase and regulate water, something needed as much as air. I suspect air will be the next costly commodity bought and sold by the government and regulated out of existence.

53 Melody February 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

@tony – with the opt out of “Do Not Mail”, would I still get flyers from companies that I *do* want ads from? And just eliminate the Penny Saver and the news ads from like Rite Aid, CVS and grocery stores? I don’t want to opt out if that means I’ll lose my 20% off coupons to Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Do you, or anyone else, know?

54 Scott February 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I say we all stop using the post office completely! this is ridiculous. They want to continue making the money they make on package delivery while crapping out on their main duties. I will never use USPS to ship anything anymore and I suggest you do the same. If we can drop their package shipping rates at least 14% i think they will hear us. Nobody wants to take a stand anymore and **** is shoveled in our face time after time. Not this time. not for me.

55 Reality Fan February 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

From an NBC News business section article on ending Saturday service:

“Thought its Capital Hill critics complain that the Postal Service should be made to run ‘more like a business’, Congress has created a set of rules that all but guarantee billion dollar losses.

Those losses are almost entirely the result of the now-defaulted “pre-funding” requirement for retiree healthcare costs and other accounting changes.

The Postal Service faces other constraints. It’s banned from setting up retail outlets, for example, that could generate profits to help subsidize delivery costs. Worse, it is barred by Congress from charging the full cost of providing the service it is required to deliver.”

56 Life of RIley February 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Very sad. Luckily noone writes each other anymore, so all there are are bills and junk mail. I just see a very sad world. Everything used to be so simple with out computers and social media. No one is really friends anymore, just trying to show off and make their lives look good, pretending they are famous.
Using everyone to get ahead. I remember when you would check a book out at the library and the librarian would just use a date stamp on a pencil and all books were returned on time and People were actually honest, not ransacking Jewelry stores with sledgehammers .
We are slowly going back to Primitive times when they had nothing. Soon we will all be naked wandering around hunting for food..

57 Wisecracker February 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Modernization and continual update in technology have eliminated and/or changed jobs for years… this is just one more. And, aren’t we all trying to be a “paperless” society anyway?

58 Stupid Will Hurt February 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Little Matty Peterson & Shuley:

This will undoubtedly be a revelation to a couple of sharp Think Progress readers like yourselves, but “Shrub” hasn’t been president for 4 years now. No, really.

So your reflexive “Blame Bush!” Doesn’t make you look like idiots at all. No, really.

As Think Progress readers you also wouldn’t be aware that you Dems controlled the White House and both houses of Congress for two years, so your side had plenty of opportunity to fix this tragedy in motion. No, really.

You also wouldn’t be aware that the Postal retiree health care system had been tragically under funded and the PAEA sought to correct that problem with about $56B in required payments, including any overflow from the pension fund, should that become over-funded. But fiscal prudence is a “conservative thing”, so you just don’t understand it. No, really.

And Matty, your business isn’t failing because the Postal Service will no longer be delivering on Saturdays, it’s failing because you are a dolt who believes what he reads in Think Progress.

No, really.

59 ATKOH February 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

What about making the bill collectors stop making your payments due on Saturday and Sunday!

60 The Mamba February 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Great, I can’t wait for stamp prices to fall by 1/6 to reimburse the lost service to the public! Oh wait…

61 Starfish February 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This is a smart move by the postal service–but I do like ATKOH’s way of thinking, bills should never be due on Saturday…but if that happens, they might make all of the bills due the friday before…lol

62 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

@Stupid Will Hurt,

Rarely has a Claycord poster been more aptly named.

63 mailma February 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Mel how do you know that the retiredment package for postal workers is outrageous? The workers who where hired before 1970 (not sure of the year) only payed into post office retirement….no social security. All though they did pay medicare tax. If they want medicare it will come out of pocket.Even if you had enough quarters to get SS it would be a push since the Railroad Act cancels it out.

64 Olivia February 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Go Matt!!!

65 tony February 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

To Melody – I still receive Bed, Bath, Beyond coupons and flyers because it is addressed to me or “current resident”. Other than that, I don’t receive ANY junk mail, but would assume that mail from all of those places that you listed would be considered junk. I still get a newspaper with the ads in them, so not receiving in the mail is not a concern for me.

66 Society's Slave February 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Heck, my mail only comes about 2 days a week anyhow. Usually after 7 or even 8pm. I have complained several times but they just cant seem to get their act together. As for small businesses, I wouldn’t trust them getting invoices to your customers on time or in one peice! Most companies now accept EDI delivery of invoices anyhow. And you can have them paid by wire transfer instead of a check its much safer anyhow.
It is sad to see that they are obviously going to soon be a part of history, but aside from a few wonderful employees that actually care, the rest of them are so lazy and rude that they don’t deserve the checks they get anyhow. I have run across a few postal workers who go above and beyond, and those are the type of people they should replace the bums with. Why would anyone us the USPS when there is no guarantee that your mail or package will even get delivered?

67 jose February 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Matt,
Do you blame your being alive (somewhat) on George Bush being your daddy too?
Libtardo

68 Stupid Will Hurt February 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Lil’ Matty @ 62 “Rarely has a Claycord poster been more aptly named.”

Ahmen bruddah’, the pain you must be experiencing right now!

BTW: I couldn’t help but notice that you presented nothing to refute the facts of my post, so you must be in agreement.

Put another way, you little anti-“Shrub” rants were pure BS. That’s what you get for looking at “Think Progress”.

Glad that we could clear that up.

69 Olivia February 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Matt, I guess dumb as a bag of hammers didn’t read you #14 post and it happened in 2006 under Bush and a republican congress. But people who get their news from one source don’t usually get the whole picture.

70 Matt Peterson February 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Olivia- the ironic part is I only made my initial post in response to one of these geniuses inferring that it was President Obama that caused the downfall of the U.S. Postal Service.

Oh well. It’ll be fun watching these morons pull their hair out for the next four years as we legislate gun control, same sex marriage, marijuana and all the other Right Wing wackjob hot topics that make them go nuts. Then we’ll elect Hillary in 2016. That’s when the fireworks really start! Bwhahahahahaha!

71 Walnut Creek Resident February 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

If they just removed all mail that does not have a stamp or real postage on the envelope then we could have mail seven days a week!!! The junk mail is a burden and I am surprised know one has thought that this is a waste of our resources and time. The post office would save money not delivering it and they could afford to keep their employees and also provide for their pensions as well. Sick of the junk mail

72 Steve February 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Whatta bunch of schmucks….. I’m referring not to the post office, but to those bloggers that deviate from the discussion at hand and resort to their favorite hobby of name-calling.

You all ought to be real proud of yourselves. I see why this state/county/country never gets anything done with academic discourses like I see here. You continue to re-elect the same politicians based solely on their promises – then bitch, whine and blame others when nothing gets done.

Wow. You make me sick.

73 Cowellian February 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Walnut Creek Resident@72,
Actually, without the junk mail, you wouldn’t get mail but once or twice a week. Junk mail looks like crap, but there’s an awful lot of it, and even at a reduced price, it subsidizes first class mail.

74 Olivia February 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Anon, #71, you must have been the captain of your debate team.

75 Bubba February 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

With all their holidays that fall on Mondays, There will be three days without mail!
The Post Office is only shooting themselves in the foot!
Don’t forget Ceazer Chavez day this month!

76 Junk mail pays their bills February 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Actually the junk mail is one of the ways the USPS makes money. They mean advertising revenue via junk mail. In fact I read recently that the USPS was looking for ways to INCREASE the amount of advertising as a wSy to earn more money. So sorry, you will not see a decrease in junk mail EVER.

Good point about the Monday holidays causing many 3-day non-mail delivery. Seems like an ideal day to cut should be Wednesday or Thursday.

77 me February 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Thank the Republicans for this.
Lobbyists for UPS and FedEx have done their job.

78 Fredric Rolando February 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

USPS financial problems have little to do with delivering the mail. In the four fiscal years since 2007, despite the worst recession in 80 years, despite Internet diversion, revenues from postal operations exceeded costs by $611 million.

The problem lies elsewhere: the 2006 congressional mandate that the USPS pre-fund future retiree health benefits for the next 75 years, and do so within a decade — an obligation no other public agency or private firm faces. The more than $5 billion annual payments since 2007 — $21 billion total — are the difference between a positive and negative ledger. That’s the elephant in the room . . . not Saturday mail delivery, not labor costs — which have been declining for years. Postal management has consistently praised the unions for their cooperation.

79 Stupid Will Hurt February 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oivia @ 69, “… didn’t read you (sic) #14 post and it happened in 2006 under Bush and a republican congress.”‘

Funny the little fantasy world you leftiez construct for yourself to shield your fragile dogma from reality.

No one said that Bush didn’t pass PAEA, red herring denied.

Let’s face it, flawed as they are, only Republicans would pass a law which attempts to keep the Post Office retiree health system fiscally sound- hence the PAEA.

Question for you- if the PAEA is so horrible, why hasn’t Obama made any attempt to repeal it? He has, after all, been our president for the last four years.

80 Stupid Will Hurt February 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Lil’ Matty @ 70, if the PAEA is as bad as you say, Obama is, in fact, causing the downfall of the USPS – by letting it stay on the books. As much as your fragile psyche needs to blame “Shrub”, Bush hasn’t been president for four years. The USPS is collapsing on Obama’s watch and he’s doing nothing about it. Unless, of course, the solution can be found on a golf course.

81 Stupid Will Hurt February 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Fredric @ 78, nice post. If you had any proof we might even believe you.

82 Fredric Rolando February 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM