Concord: Newhall Park’s “Paw Patch” Dog Park Closed for Renovation

February 6, 2013 19:00 pm · 33 comments

paw_patch

The Newhall Park “Paw Patch” dog park will be closed for turf renovation and general maintenance through early March.

The Paw Patch is consistently one of the most popular parks of its kind and gets a lot of use, according to the City of Concord. Periodic turf renovation helps keep the park in top shape.

The dog park in Baldwin Park will remain open while the Paw Patch is being renovated.

Thanks to “Flash” for the picture of the dog park!

1 Schmee February 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

“The dog park IN Baldwin park”

Thanks for the news. Now I know to go to heather farms with my pretty Pitt. :)

2 Mr. John February 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In related news, the new playground in Newhall park sometime in the middle of February… very soon!

3 Flash February 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Mr. John, I got pictures of the new playground and sent them to the mayor too. He said he would post them tomorrow.

It is nice to see them fixing up the dog park. That place gets to be a muddy mess after a while.

4 CLAYCORD.com February 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thanks, Schmee!! My bad!

5 Triple Canopy February 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

What does “turf renovation” exactly mean? How much will it cost?

C’mon Claycord moderators. Are you guys and gals a bunch of ex-CC Times writers? How about asking some intelligent questions?

6 Schmee February 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Turf renovation just means “keep people off the grass while they re seed and let it re grow”

That’s my assumption.

7 Anon February 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It costs less than the TAXES I pay for YOUR Childs education and I don’t have kids.
So quit your whining.

8 ale February 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Now if only the dog owners would realize that this does NOT mean that the entire park becomes a dog park.

9 @ale February 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have to aggree. There are so many dogs off leash. Haven’t been there in months due to this problem. Wait unitl a kid a the new playground gets bitten. Then they will have a policy.

10 ConcordMike February 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Too bad they couldn’t fence one side off with portable barricades and alternately seed sides so people wouldn’t have to leave their favorite neighborhood park.

11 old concord & buster February 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

great park, it would be nice if we had better drainage and irrigation. buster thinks treat dispencers would be a big dog favorite

12 old concord February 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Bummer thats a great park Buster and I look forward to the big opening.=)

13 Thread February 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM

That entire park will be a dog park until the renovations are complete. So folks get used to it.

14 Buddy & Me February 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM

My little guy Buddy agrees with Buster that treat dispensers would be a great addition to the park!
Just an FYI, Baldwin park is closed on Tuesdays and the exact date of the Paw Patch opening again is March 6th (that is if everything goes according to the sign they posted).

15 anon February 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM

where will all those crazy people go now with their wine on Friday night’s? They might actually have to keep an eye on their dogs instead of letting them run around going after other people’s dogs while they carry on drinking and chatting!

16 No Leash February 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

It’s cruel to put a leash on a dog. Let them roam free! A portion of a park should not be only for dogs, the entire park systems should be for dogs! Park use discrimination should not be allowed. Also, I’m tired of Whole Foods not allowing me to bring my dog into the store. My dogs love roaming around in Home Depot and other stores. It’s good for dogs to shop! And some eateries are being particular about it and that upsets me, I feel I’m doing them a service by allowing my dogs to each with me. They eat everything that drops on the floor and don’t bark that much when I’m eating. Ban dog discrimination!!! Do not leash your dog, it’s cruel.

17 NicePark February 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM

The Paw Patch is a very nice dog park. I usedf to love going there with my dogs and meeting new dogs and people. I’m glad that they take good care to ensure that the turf gets a rest so it can regrow. I no longer go there because one of my dogs is a little argumentative. He will sometimes pick fights with other males who either come too close to me or are giving him the eye.

18 ale February 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

@no leash
I think you are joking…but you can never tell. People seem to lose common sense when it comes to their precious dog.

This is my neighborhood park and I regularly run there. Dogs come after us all the time and the owners are too busy chatting our just generally being oblivious to notice. I don’t care if your dog is friendly. I am in the middle of my run and I don’t want to trip over the damn thing.

19 Nikki P February 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

i already miss it :(

20 @No Leash February 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Keep your dogs at home. Your dog park should be your back yard. It’s a pet already not a human. Maybe I should bring my pet rats out to eat. I’m sick of barking dogs at every restaurant. Who wants to sit at a table where a dog’s nose was resting against it, gross! Home depot, seriously, do you really think you dog likes to go shopping? I’m sure it would rather be sleeping in your house/yard. Wake up! Dog du du, cleanup on isle 3. Please keep them out of the produce ilse as I prefer not to have dog drool on my potatoes. I love seeing fleas on the clothes rack in the stores. Saw a person with two dogs walking through the Gap once. Give me a break!

21 Mr. John February 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM

If you own a dog and have not reviewed Concord’s, Contra Costa County’s and California’s various dog laws, you may not be aware of a few things. I suggest you do a little research online. After a few minutes, you may decide that a leash is a very good thing to protect your dog (and your wallet/freedom) when you and your best friend are out on the town.

22 anon February 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Does anyone know what efforts if any the city takes to enforce the leash law at Newhall Park? Ever see somone out there enforcing the law?

23 ale February 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Nobody enforces it. I wish they would.

24 Nick February 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Treat dispensers are a good idea as long as they are not free. Charge $1 per treat to pay for all the maintenance and damage from the dog park.

25 Mr. John February 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It is rarely enforced. I saw someone giving warnings, once, but no tickets.

I don’t get why we don’t hire more cops that are assigned to issue tickets for the small stuff. If the cop issued only two tickets an hour on average ($100 tickets) the cop should generate $400,000 in ‘revenue’ in a year. Sure, a cop might not find 2 people every hour – but he might also have some hours where he issues 10 or more.

There are hundreds of places in the city he could switch between and find a regular supply of people breaking the law. A few such additions to the police force could even be enough to start to deter this type of behavior.

26 Horse'n Around February 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

@ Mr. John. If you mean hire police to enforce the DOG laws. Police are for people. Animal Control is for dogs.

27 Triple Canopy February 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Anon @7… My kids are college graduaes so you can shut the F**K up.

28 Triple Canopy February 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Errata…..”graduates”

29 Ale February 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The people are the ones breaking the laws.

30 Anon2you February 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No worries just take your dogs over to the NEW play structure in Newhall Park!!!

31 Triple CUN topy February 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yeah – a bunch of college graduate morons. Just like their parent.

32 Sparkerdoo February 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I just wish I could go to one of these dog parks and sit and watch my dog play (we really like throwing one of his toys far out and retrieving- these dog parks are just the right size). However. I DON’T necessarily want to chat with the other people there. I’m not saying I won’t talk, I’d just rather not talk the entire time I’m there. Some of those pet owners quiz you on your dog, as though they were some pet detectives making sure my puppy is good enough to play with their precious 4 legged friends….
Sorry, but I’m at
The
Dog park to play with my dog, not for me to ignore him and talking to people I don’t care to

33 Anon2you February 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

@Sparkerdo – Just take your dog to your backyard…Perfect-No one else there but you!