Claycord Online Museum – Concord in ’76

February 5, 2013 14:00 pm · 34 comments

These photos, which were taken in 1976, show snow on the ground in Concord, and the aerial view is of the land near Ygnacio Valley Road & Alberta/Pine Hollow Road. Clayton Valley High School is the building with the very white roof.

The two photos of the snow were taken in a neighborhood near Clayton Valley High School.

Thanks to Gene for passing these along for all of us to see!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

{ 34 comments }

1 bosco February 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Wow!
This is incredible!
I can’t get over it!
Wow!

2 Sacto Rob February 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I remember that day at CVHS quite well. My Senior year. A lot of the kids were very excited at seeing the white stuff. Some kids took off at lunch to drive up to the top of Kirker Pass to play, then made the chilling discovery that their school clothes weren’t quite up the task.

3 Anon777 February 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hey that’s me and my brothers! :)

4 Cowellian February 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I remember that snow. We had just pulled into Mare Island, and there was about 2″ of snow on the ground. Everyone was freaking out, and those of us from back east couldn’t figure out all the excitement. It turns out that no one could remember any previous snows in Vallejo.

5 Glen February 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I remember the snow in Oakland hills on those days.

Boy, those SUV’s were sure funny looking back then…

6 Glen February 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Cowellian,

Did you work at MINSY?

7 dilligafman February 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

is the old graveyard still on the hill behind the old cpd acadamy?

8 Cowellian February 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Glen, I was on a boat that pulled into Mare Island for overhaul and refueling.

Many years later, I worked for a computer maintenance company that provided services at several bases, including MINSY.

9 Snowmanship February 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I was 7 years old and went to Fair Oaks Elementary, which was a wee bit less diverse back then. My sisters and I built a tiny snowman, called him “Frosty” and put him in the Garage Freezer. A couple of summers later the power went out, wasting half the food in the Freezer, so my Dad proceed to clean it out, placing the bad food on the driveway. One of my sisters was almost crying over the half-melted remains of “Frosty” dumped on the driveway, exposed to the hot July Sun. I, being a typical boy, stomped on “Frosty”, finishing him off, right in front of her! I don’t think my sister has been the same since!

10 bluebird February 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

11 Em Dubya February 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Remember it well. We built a snowman on the school playground. It was about half dirt, so the snowman had a nice California tan.

12 RunnerDope February 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

>> Was 1976 before, after, or right in the middle of the long drought in California?

13 Gene February 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

@ dilligafman
The old police academy is long gone but the cemetery is still there. Surrounded by homes.

14 Gene February 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I sure had a lot of fun in that station wagon.

15 No Excuses February 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Bluebird: Right in the middle. We let lawn and any plants that needed extra water just burn and die. That was no real problem- you just throw in some new when the rain comes back. But the old clay dried so deep it let the house wrack and crack and it has never come back quite right, although the doors will at least close without slamming when we get good long rains. :)

16 Starfish February 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Nice pics!

17 ClayDen February 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I remember snow falling into the seaplane lagoon at Alameda Naval Air Station. Strange.

18 Mad Mom February 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My senior year of high school, I drove from my dad’s electrical shop on Detroit Ave. to Danville in that snow. I tucked in behind a big rig. He kept me safe :)
The snow was especially wonderful. It really piled up!
Yep, those were drought days.

19 Diablo February 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I remember trying to make a snowman at Highlands school, oh to be young again.

20 MDHS80 February 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Winter 1976… I remember it well. 8th grader at Loma Vista Intermediate and during lunch we were having snowballs fights and brought snowballs into 5th period. A bunch of us got sent to the principle’s office. :)

21 LostBoysMom February 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I was a senior at Northgate (first graduating class!). The power went out and because there were no windows in most of the school, they let us out. We had snowball fights in the parking lot. I have a picture that looks like a Christmas card of our mailbox with a layer of snow. A day I will never forget!

22 Starfish February 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I didn’t know there was a graveyard anywhere near here. Where is it?

23 Gene February 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
24 Original G February 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM
25 Glen February 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Cowellian,

LOL, I did computer/network support at MINSY 1989-2006. …and a boatload of other CA/NV bases.

What boat were you on? Boomer?

26 CrazyCat February 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I didn’t know there used to be a police academy near the Live Oak Cemetary!

27 9 deuce daisy February 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I know there are pics of me playing in my grandparent’s yard that day!

28 Cowellian February 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Glen, yeah, I was on the Washington.

29 Fritzhugh Ludlow February 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I as in San Jose in 1976 and it snowed down there on that day also…Back in 1982 while living in the Crossings, near the old Cowell Smoketack I used to listen to the Police firing their guns at the target range,

30 Mac February 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM

we had a contest who could make their cars spin in the most circles, coming down the road, of Pleasant Hill High School. My parents little toyota and it`s rear lock up brake, worked awesome for this.
If any of you remember it, we were spinning by Disneyland (a playground in the upper lawn area)
Man, that day sure is stuck in my head.

Good times for a teenager kid in the 70`s :-)

31 GoodOl'Days February 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Great pictures. I was a freshman @ YVHS. I remember the day it snowed. It was pretty exciting. Ah yes the good ol’ days. Most days I wish I could turn the clock back and go back to those days. Seemed less complicated back then and there was little crime in the area.

32 BD February 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Had fun out in Byron that day too! I remember also about that time (year give or take) we had a huge flood.. we used an old aluminum boat to feed the horses.. in such a flat flat area that we lived it was wild to be “flooded”.

33 nytemuvr February 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

The old cemetary used to be a good “lover’s lane” back in the 70s….

34 CatWoman February 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Screwing with the dead–that sounds pleasant.