Claycord Online Museum – Clayton Valley Little League – Looking for Old Pictures

January 29, 2013 14:00 pm · 18 comments

cvll

This picture is from Clayton Valley Little League, who also wrote the following message to Claycord.com….

Please find a photo of CVLL Opening DAY (1965), along with CVLL Founder Merrill “Mack” McCarty’s official Little League Membership card from 1965.

The CVLL Board of Directors has been very busy preparing for the 2013 season and our tryouts begin this weekend. Currently we have 466 children signed up for baseball and 119 for softball. That comes to about 40 teams in 12 divisions of Baseball/Softball.

Our opening day event will take place on March 24th, 2013 at CVCHS. We will begin with a rally in the gymnasium, followed by team pictures and all players will participate in our Annual Hit-A-Thon Fundraiser.

CVLL was formed in 1964 and was born from a promise McCarty made to his sons Tom and Mike before they moved in the 1960’s from Michigan to Concord. McCarty (holding the bullhorn in the photo) passed in 2004 during the 40th anniversary of CVLL and his wife Joyce remains in Concord. With this being our 50th season, we will be honoring the founder of CVLL,Merrill “Mack” McCarty and his family

We are proud of our leagues heritage and have heard so many stories of how CVLL has been a source of fond memories for the youth of Claycord. We look forward to sharing the story of the beginnings of our league in a detailed expose which is being planned next month.

CVLL would like to reach out to its current and past players for any photos they would like to share which will be part of a video for the league.

Please email photos, stories, documents & any history to: CVLLhistory@gmail.com

We’ll keep you posted on the expose.

If there are any businesses that would like to sponsor CVLL, we have many opportunities available including signage ideas, Opening Day Participation and Hit-A-Thon sponsorship ideas. Feel free to connect with us via our website.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

1 Slowfolder January 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I look forward to the Claycord Online Museum ever week. It’s a nice little incentive to get through Monday.

2 Andy Friggin Bentley January 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Im on it :)b

3 Diablo January 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Is the mountain covered in snow. It looks like Zion has a dusting to.

4 old timer January 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hay, were are all the chunky (fat) kids?

Adults look thin as well, must be another country.

5 JayDub January 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I remember the baseball fields being were round tree is now,then they moved to what is now highlands park. Anyone else remember?

6 anon January 30, 2013 at 6:43 AM

My daddy, Jim Sanders also helped start CVLL along with the McCarty’s.
He’s been gone along time now so when CVLL honors their founders it brings back sweet misty colored memories of him too. Yes #5 CVLL was originally where Roundtree is.

Thank you Mack McCarty and all the founding fathers!! GO CVLL!

7 Mac January 30, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I was a PHBA kid

8 Corinn January 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Merrill “Mack” McCarty was my Grandpa. Reading this article makes me so proud!

9 Alison Capote January 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Mack was my grandfather…I named my son born august 17, 2012 after him!! My mini Mack reminds me everyday of my grandpa. WE ARE SO PROUD TO HAVE HIM RECOGNIZED!

10 Wolfman January 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I played Optomist League baseball at the cowell fields 67 & 68. My dad was friends with Mack and carried on after from about 70 to 97. I have some of the books and pictures, I will dig through and post. Dad was president of CVLL for many years, He’s 85 and still going strong. Great subject Mayor thank you.

11 JC January 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I had a chance to interview him for the 35 Annaversary when I was president. He still lived just around the corner from the fields and told some great stories. Sad the league is only half the size it was in 1999.

12 cornfed January 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I didn’t even grow up here and I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing.

13 Mac January 31, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I agree, i think these are some of the best posts in here.
I really enjoy seeing photos and stories on this area in the good old days.
Because it`s changed so much.

Thanks, Mayor….Keep `em coming

14 Duke January 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

This story should be shared wit has many communities as possible! Maybe even Brian Williams (Making a Difference) on NBC nightly news. It is not only an inspirational story but also one of family commitment and dedication to children. The fact the league is still going 50 years later is remarkable. I want to thank all the people who helped “Mac” McCarty because obviously it takes many to create something this big! Go CVLL!

15 Jake January 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

As the grandson of Grandpa Merrill “Mack,” I am so proud to see his promise to my father (Tom) and uncle Mike still going strong today. My father (Tom) also started a traveling baseball team for me when I was 13 & 14. This commitment to community and kids runs deep in the McCarty family and it all started with Grandpa. I only hope that someday I can do for my children what Grandpa did for his and what my father did for me. A toast to 50 years of youth baseball and to many more years to come!

16 Gwen McCarty February 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Being Mack’s daughter has always made me proud, and this remembrance is amazing. Dad did not start this league for recognition; he only wanted a place for my brothers to play ball. In doing so he allowed many to benefit from this insight and the dream he held. I have also had my life enriched by his love of sports, family and all children. His sports legacy and love will live on through his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren forever. Love him always!

17 Michael Whitaker February 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM

My grandpa was Mack McCarty! I was so proud to read this and see him get recognized for all of that hard work! He always had funny stories to tell and loved sports. When somebody goes out of their way to start something like this many benefit from it and will continue to benefit from it. Not a day goes by where I don’t think of him or use one of his many sayings!

Love him!

18 An Original CVLL Player February 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Go CVLL! The original fields (1964) were at Ayers Elementary School. The picture with Mack McCarty using the bullhorn is at opening day, 1964 at Ayers school. Note the uniforms! Stylish! What great memories back 50 years ago! Looking forward to this year’s opening ceremonies!