Assemblywoman Susan Bonilla Announces Hiring of Tomi Van de Brooke as District Director

January 27, 2013 9:00 am · 34 comments

Assemblywoman Susan A. Bonilla (D-Concord) announced today that Tomi Van de Brooke will serve as her District Director.

“I have an ambitious agenda for my second term in the Assembly and I am proud to add Tomi to my team of talented professionals who are helping me serve my constituents,” said Bonilla, who was reelected in November 2012 to represent the 14th Assembly District. “I have known Tomi for many years and have worked with her in local government and education. She has proven skills, established relationships and high standards, and I am confident that she will build upon the reputation of my district office, which has done an outstanding job connecting with the residents and communities I represent.”

“I am honored to become Assemblywoman Bonilla’s District Director,” said Van de Brooke. “She is an effective leader who has made a difference on a range of issues including education, foster care, and economic development. I particularly admire her dedication and successful efforts to improve life in the Monument Corridor.”

Tomi Van de Brooke represented Ward II on the Contra Costa Community College Governing Board for seven years, serving twice as Board President. She started and ran her own small business, and was the managing partner of a Walnut Creek communications firm. Van de Brooke also worked for the California Alliance for Jobs, an organization dedicated to rebuilding California’s aging infrastructure, and most recently she served as Chief of Staff for the District III County Supervisor in the San Ramon Valley. She has served on a number of non-profit boards including the Contra Costa Council, East Bay Economic Development Alliance, and the Contra Costa Regional Health Foundation.

Van de Brooke was born and raised in Contra Costa County and attended local public schools. She and her husband reside in Orinda with their two sons.

{ 34 comments }

1 Anon January 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM

More government bloat, what the heck is a district director?

2 Jojo Potato January 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Who pays her salary? Just asking.

3 Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Better Bonilla hire weight watchers.

4 DoReMi January 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

” Tomi has successfully advocated for more transparent and prudent budget practices, support pension reform, and inspired more measurable performance measures. She is committed to asking the tough questions, stand by her convictions despite pressure, and diligently pursue a more fiscally prudent ”

Well, Tomi. I plead with you to pursue pension reform. Our village elders are hiding in their mansions and acting as gods while raking in our tax dollars. The fight will be tough as the enemy has money and power. Union bosses steal from our hard working men, women and tax payers in general. Utilities, and Teacher Association managers jumping off with golden parachutes. Services of any sort are not building the economy, they take from the tax paying middle class.

God bless and good luck.

5 Larrabee January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We can’t afford to keep our fire stations open, but we can hire a czar for Susan Bonilla?

6 Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Bonilla has”an ambitious agenda” Hang on to your wallets.

7 Elwood January 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Strange that there’s no mention of her unsuccessful campaign for supervisor or that she worked for Mary Piepho, just some mysterious district 3 supervisor.

8 Randome Task January 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM

yeah she sounds like the fall guy ..or girl to be inplace when susan needs to bilk some funds and raise her pay and or bonus ……again they do it right infront of your face and no one even takes a second look …nice work bonillla you have blinded em again kudos to your fake carreer and bilked funds over the years and yet another of your lackies will be placed to take your fall ………..

9 Boneguy1 January 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

To Superintendent Bonilla – Just curious do you need a “Staff” more than Clayton needs Firefighters and paramedics to Staff their Fire Station?

Self-aggrandizing politicians!

Whose got the biggest Staff? – Sounds more like a bunch of drunk guys showing off!

That’s priorities for you!

10 vindex January 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I had high hopes for Bonilla, but now she has been corrupted and is part of the machine. What are you doing to get funding for our fire stations? Nothing. She is a fake and has sold her soul to politics. Shameful.

11 bigjim January 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Larrabee…right on/

12 Triple Canopy January 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Bonilla needs to take a long walk on a short pier.

13 primo January 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

one loser hiring another with my tax dollars.
choo choo brown and the D-gang at work-
spend spend and raise our taxes

14 Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We need to raise taxes and Susan is the one to do it!

15 The Real McCoy January 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh look, Susan “Stupid Commie” Bonilla is stealing OUR TAX DOLLARS (all taxation is theft) to further her Socialist agenda. Mark my words, we’re all going to be placed in concentration camps soon enough. This woman has NO SHAME!!!!

16 Susan January 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I resent that! I am not a part of the “machine”. I have not been corrupted and I have not sold my soul to politics. There has always been a “district director” even if by another name. Hiring one person does not account for the many salaries and maintenance costs in a single fire station.

17 Phillip from Clayton January 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM

@Susan#16…

Yeah, right. Always voting in lockstep with the party platform. Another politician that says they haven’t “sold their soul to politics.” They ALWAYS say that. Of course, they’re ALWAYS wating out for Mr/Mrs Middle Class.

Resent it all you want – Remember the e-mails from you (actually, your staffers) from a few years ago that claimed to be “perfectly in touch with your constituents”. Yet you had FAILED to read and respond to the content of the e-mail ……. except through the usual political blathering that says nothing.

Gimme a break and don’t give yourself whiplash patting yourself on the back..

Tax and spend, tax and spend, etc….

18 Big Boss January 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

what a waste! we need the fire stations, not more cookie eaters!

19 The Real McCoy January 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

@Susan – most of the commenters on Claycord have taken a blood oath to blindly hate Democrats as much as they possibly can from the comfort of their keyboards. You could find they cure cancer and they’d find a reason to despise you for it. Don’t it personally, they’re just idiots.

20 SK January 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Really? You people actually think that “Susan” #16 is really Susan Bonilla and not a Claycord troll? Wow, a lot of naiveté on this site.

I’m not a fan of Susan’s, but am surprised at how quickly some of you will accept any screen name at face value.

21 Phillip from Clayton January 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

@SK#20 – not really… but the tone/attitude of the posting was very similar to the e-mail responses I got from her aides.

And no, I’m not a dem basher. I look at ALL politicians equally.

22 Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Interesting story in CC Times about the difficulty of firing bad teachers. I bet Susans “ambitious agenda” does nothing but protect the teachers unions, her big donors.

23 I voted yes on measure Q January 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

To all of you uninformed people in Claycord Land. This is just another rant by all of you that have no idea what happens in government. Every Assemblymember and Senator in the State has a Distrcit Director. It’s is not new nor a drag on our budget. She is Susan’s main person in the Distrcit to make sure information from the district is communicated to Susan and to the Capital. This person plays an important role.
In terms of your compliant about the closure of fire stations, which is a local and county issue, not a state budget issue by the way, again stupid uninformed,, you should have voted for measure Q. I guess you will feel differently when your house burns down or you loose a loved one because of lack of emergency responders. Sucks to be all of you and I hope your negativity gets the best of you.

24 Phillip from Clayton January 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM

@I voted yes….#23….

While the district director is presumably the one to “make sure information from the district is communicated to Susan and to the Capital,” my impression has been that they are a filter and respond to the constituents without the elected politician having seen it.

Her staffer admitted that to me a couple of years ago (via e-mail).

Granted – they have to have a local office as the politician can’t be everywhere. But they shouldn’t be responding to constituents under false pretenses (which the rest of us call lying).

25 Howard K. Mullins III January 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

@I voted yes on measure Q

HELEN!!! Is that you? Sure sounds like the same rant you spewed in the city council chambers.

The government has one source for money, tax. It does not matter what labels the government may apply, its still all tax dollars.

FYI, I voted no on Q and I am delighted I did. So, I guess in your eyes it may suck to be me, but I am just as happy as I can be and really don’t care how you may feel.

26 Howard K. Mullins III January 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Anyone elected to a state post should have one administrative assistant in Sacramento and keep his/her butt planted in their office in the center of the district.

With phones and video conferencing readily available, there is no need to travel all over the place, wasting money and time.

Representatives should stay in their districts and let the constituency see them and talk to them every day. Goes for US elected representatives as well. They all need to know what the people think, not just whoever shows them the best time in DC.

27 Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

In answer to a previous poster,the last thing Bonilla is going to do is champion streamlining the process for firing teachers . They are her bread and butter and she cares more about keeping their support then she does about educating our kids. I challenge her to cite one time when she has spoken about, or written about, incompetent teachers.

28 I voted yes on Measure Q January 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

@Howard K Mullins III,

It must be nice to be a bean counter that has a job that never kept you busy. If you only know what happens when you have to been in many places at once and then also represent a district in Sacramento. Tell me how that is a one person job, you are a huge fool to think that it is. An good thing you are up on all the technology so you can have our people to represent us troll behind the computer like you do all day long. Unlike you they are real people actually trying to do things in the community, when was last time you actually came out from behind your computer and volunteered your time or made your community a better place. So until you actually are someone with credibility shut and stop being such a bitch. We all get tired of seeing you post and waste our time, you being nothing to light and make really bad points. If you really think everything is so bad go buy an island, or move out of town. See ya!

29 Howard K. Mullins III January 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

@I voted yes on Measure Q

Ah, must be Susan herself.

Such anger and misinformation. But whatever, attack and call names (bitch?). I am a guy, not a girl.

Oh, by the way, who is “we”?. I’d like the list.

30 rich eber January 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Nothng suprises me with the priorities of Susan Bonilla and other elected officals in Sacramento wasting tax payers dollars. Perhaps I was over the top complaining last November in the blog Halfway to Concord that Bonilla was doing a fundraiser right after winning an election where she ran unopposed! Perhaps not.

31 I voted yes on Measure Q January 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

@ Howard

Sorry not Susan, not Hellen, have fun guessing you fucktard (is that better then bitch, DUDE!). You are such an idiot. No I am just a much more informed person who supports great people who work for us in Sacramento like Susan. So you had better watch yourself troll and your friend who also posts who not only are trolls online but looks like a trolls in person. You will never affect change or be apart of anything meaningful in the community, so either do something about it or get the hell out! We do not need people like you or the other band of idiots like you who post like fools and ruin this site.

32 @ I voted yes on measure q January 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Your attempt to bully others with a different opinion than yours by way of your profanity laced tirades only demonstrates that you are an uneducated, hot headed, machismo type that probably drinks too much. Put your big ego in check, calm down, and take some anger management classes, not the kind that involves a glass of whiskey either. Haven’t you heard it’s not cool to bully anymore? Lol!

33 Howard K. Mullins III January 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM

@I voted yes on Measure Q

I am positive Susan is extremely proud to have you as a supporter.

You are showing the true character of your cause and it is a delight to observe.

Thank you and keep commenting. Your posts are extremely enlightening.

34 Policy of Truth January 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I don’t see “difference of opinion”. I see willful ignorance and (wrongful) assumptions made over and over in an attempt to discredit those who are in leadership roles. Personally, I am not a fan of Ms. Bonilla, but I do respect her position. Making up vitriolic attack and attempting to disguise it as “opinion” just shows ignorance and hatred.

The bottom line is, “I voted yes on Measure Q” got it right. At some point those that hide behind innuendo and chose a weapon of character assassination need to be called out. Obviously, calling out the reality hit a nerve with the people to which it was directed at.

As long as there are blogs there will be cowards hiding behind keyboards, just as Dan Borenstein hides behind the masthead of the CC Times. Their opinions are no more than reflections of their own shortcomings. As a casual reader, if you chose to buy into made up realities without doing your own research then you risk being dumbed down.

Your choice.