New Jersey Man Charged with Killing Concord Woman in 2010

January 25, 2013 10:30 am · 22 comments

chelsea

A New Jersey man has been charged with aggravated manslaughter in connection with the death of Concord woman, who was a student at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Roger Hode, 42, was also charged with death-by-auto in the killing of 21-year-old Chelsea Traynor on the morning of December 9, 2010.

To read more about this story, visit the New Jersey Star-Ledger.

photo: Chelsea Traynor – Facebook.com

1 Lori January 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Don’t understand why it took so long for him to be charged??? I hope the outcome will bring her family and friends some peace. R.I.P.

2 So sorry January 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You were a wondeful person, Chelsea. Your Sequoia classmates are very saddened by your loss. RIP

3 Howard K. Mullins III January 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

If he’s convicted, hang him, shot him, stone him, bury him alive, drown him, electrocute him, smother him, i don’t care, just make sure he does not come back to haunt the survivors. He deserves no mercy, her family deserves peace.

4 jtkatec January 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Differrence in DA charges between David Rosen and this story.

5 Shuley January 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Hang him? Stone him? Wow. WTF? For all we know, it may have been an accident or the man may have just been speeding. There is no mention of him intentionally running her over, him being drunk or impaired. I doubt he is looking to “haunt the survivors”. Who knows? Maybe he actually feels very bad about this. Sure, he took a life and should be punished, but for crying out loud, the punishment should fit the crime.

I think Howard may just be recruiting for his chapter of the Claycord Taliban.

6 Nokeem January 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I just read the Star Ledger coverage. The article and its’ predecessors, failed to indicate the reason for the charge. Was there alcohol, drugs, texting, or driving recklessly?

7 Elwood January 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Omigod, what a beautiful young woman!

What a tragic loss!

8 KenInConcord January 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

You read about accidents that take people’s lives. But sometime we forget that these statistics are real people with friends and families personalities with a future, sense of humor, a fiancée, plans for a family.

9 KenInConcord January 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The end if the Video is says the photo the Mayor used was taken the day she was killed. How sad. Prayers go out for the many friends and family in the video.

10 VeryTragic January 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It’s very tragic when someone with so much potential to do good for this world has their life taken. I am sorry for this young woman and her firends and family.

11 Mom January 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I love you and miss you so much Chelsea.

12 rgb January 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

What a beautiful young woman. I am so sorry for her and her loved ones

13 Anon PH January 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

For the criminal charges, there was some negligence….the term used back east could be the same as “gross negligence” here in California. It boils down to you causing death or injury, even while driving, and UNINTENTIONALLY causing it. I am 100% sure they did the full traffic collision investigation. You can tell by the impact, debris, skid marks, and so on..if the driver was going too fast, perhaps. Or too fast in fog. Or in rain. Or whatever. If you are DUI..then it is a much more serious criminal case.

The “aggravated manslaughter” must indicate some serious carelessness and negligence, making this other than “a tragic accident”.

14 Darwin January 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Very beautiful young ladie…

15 ale January 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

From searching around on the internet it looks like they concluded that he ran a red light.

16 julie January 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yes….beautiful….my heartfelt sympathies to her family

17 SF CityGirl January 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

@ The mom #11 So sorry for your loss, I hope you find some closure from this case finally coming to an end. May your daughter watch over you, & may she rest in peace.

18 Cruella January 26, 2013 at 8:05 AM

So sad, what a beautiful, bright, light taken away too soon. My thoughts and prayers to the family for peace and healing.

19 Lori January 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Mom, your comment brought tears to my eyes. I am so so sorry for your loss. The loss of a child is a never ending pain that no parent should have to endure. Your daughter was a beautiful young lady.

20 @Mom #11 January 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. She was a beautiful girl. May the future hold nothing but good things for you and your son.

21 J. January 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

What a shame.

May she Rest in Peace.

22 To Chelsea's Mom January 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My son was a classmate of Chelsea’s. He carries a heavy heart over her loss. We both remember her gentleness and contagious smile. She was loved by so many as was evident at her beautiful memorial service. The day will come when we’ll All be together again.