Concord City Council Honors Claycord Photographer Mike “Radar” Dunn

January 25, 2013 14:00 pm · 14 comments

I’d just like to personally thank the Concord City Council for adjourning their meeting this week in memory of Mike “Radar” Dunn, who was a photographer for Claycord.com & the Clayton Pioneer.

“Radar”, as you know, died during the holidays after a long battle with cancer.

Mayor Dan Helix, who has known “Radar” for decades, praised Mike for his work throughout the years, and talked about the first time he met the talented photographer during the opening of Concord BART in the early 1970’s.

Thanks to Mayor Helix and the Concord City Council for remembering our friend, Mike “Radar” Dunn.

1 Craig Cannon January 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Gone….not forgot.

2 Cowellian January 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Radar leaves an impressive legacy of photographs and friends, and I miss him.

3 Howard K. Mullins III January 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Radar deserves the admiration and I am delighted he was acknowledged by the counsel.

4 J. January 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Yay!

5 ArmydadCA January 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Well, some good can come from our elected officials. All the time we are slamming them for bonehead things they do, its nice to see that they are human and (some) do have a heart.

6 Bob H. January 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I really miss Radar’s photos. RIP

7 Policy of Truth January 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I believe Mike “Radar” Dunn was also honored (with two others) at the County Board of Supervisors meeting on January 8th. They adjourned in his memory.

ADJOURN in memory of long-time Concord community advocate who gave a voice to those in need, Mary Lou Laubscher,

in memory of photographer Mike “Radar” Dunn who donated his talents to chronicling the lives and events of Contra Costa County citizens,

and

in memory of East Contra Costa Fire Protection District Retired Fire Captain and Freedom High School Fire Science Instructor, Ben Whitener.

8 Mad Mom January 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I miss Radar’s photos too. I also miss his sense of humor. So glad he was honored like that. It makes my heart a little happier.

9 Shasta Daisy January 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

He’ll never be forgotten and always be missed.

10 Anna, The Lemon Lady January 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I don’t want to believe he is gone. “Radar” used to accompany on MANY fruit adventures and farmers’ market visits. He helped at the food pantries also. He was a true friend, and I remember him standing at my driveway just a few month’s ago. I always thought he would come out to another fruit tree with me…

11 Jeff January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Sad that he’s no longer with us – glad that he’s no longer suffering

12 Apollo Idol Prudence January 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Glad he is honored by the Concord city council, that is one positive step that the city council is doing. I am blessed to have met him, and it is a privelege to call him a friend.

13 Atticus Thraxx January 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

You know, some kind of plaque of Radar down at City Hall would be nice. Heck, I’d pitch in for that. Especially since my “Helen Allen MemorialPublic Bidet” down in Todos Santos idea was rejected.

14 anonamiss January 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

A sweet man. He will be missed. RIP Radar!!!