UPDATE: Walnut Creek Police Investigating Possible Suicide at Nordstrom

January 24, 2013 15:27 pm · 119 comments

police_nordstrom

The Walnut Creek Police are investigating an apparent suicide at Nordstrom in Broadway Plaza.

We’re hearing the person possibly jumped from the roof, or a balcony on the building. One witness said there is blood all over and the alleged jumper’s body is partially in the bushes.

The Walnut Creek Police are asking people to avoid southbound Broadway at Cypress Street, and also Duncan street near Broadway/Mt. Diablo Blvd. for the next hour while they investigate.

Thanks to Tiffany for the picture.

UPDATE, 4:15pm: All roads have been reopened.

UPDATE, 5:20pm: WCPD confirms it’s a suicide. Here’s the update:

On 1/24/13 at 1:51pm, the Walnut Creek Police Department received a report that a subject had jumped off the roof at Broadway Plaza, landing near the sidewalk of South Broadway and Mt Diablo Blvd.

The subject was a female in her late 20’s and was pronounced deceased at the scene. Witnesses and the subsequent investigation revealed the subject was by herself when she intentionally jumped off the third floor balcony.

The subject’s identity is being withheld pending notification by the CCC Coroner’s office. The suicide resulted in nearby roads being closed. All roads were reopened at 1513 hours.

{ 119 comments }

1 Diablo January 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

They must have seen the prices in that place.

2 Blunt Smoken January 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Im standing right next to the cotion taoe but you cant see anything, I work in broadway plaza and everyone is saying its a young man.

3 Shasta Daisy January 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I just drove past there……now I know why Broadway was closed at Cypress.

4 Boogie January 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Helicopter was hovering over Civic Park and circling downtown as well. Any connection?

5 Futurama January 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Sad.

6 jtkatec January 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That’s so sad. It may appear life is not worth it at that moment in time, what a tragedy.

7 Howard K. Mullins III January 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Damn, hate to see that happen.

Rest in peace poor soul. Prayers to the family and friends.

I certainly hope no one attempts to be humorous about the costs of goods at Nordstrom’s. That would be in such bad taste.

8 all good things die young January 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

this stuff happens everywhere even WC peeps…sad
hope it wasn’t an employee…
thanks for the heads up, have to drive there soon, will take alternate route

9 JAFO January 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

@Diablo

Sometimes, posters on this site are far too clever, by half. If this person was a member of your family, a friend, a neighbor, presumably you would expect just a little more respect. Give it a rest.

10 CLAYCORD.com January 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

11 Mom of the Horde. January 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I saw that when I was coming home from Las Lomas with my kids. It looked like they jumped from the patio at on the rooftop of Nordstroms (the cafe). From the direction I was coming from on Broadway, I could see the tarp covered body and what looked like blood on the sidewalk where the body landed. This was at about 2:45ish.

Bless this poor persons family…

12 Melli January 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Shame on you Diablo.

13 rah January 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Anyone who can crack jokes at someone else’s desperation and death is heartless! You should be ashamed, but I’m sure you think you’re hilarious.

14 Angela January 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Information from a Nordstrom employee states it was a female who some people tried to talk out of jumping, but couldn’t… :( so sad… God Bless everyone involved…

15 Frank C. January 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Rode my bike past there not long ago. An employee told me the person had lunch at the cafe and then jumped over.

My thoughts to the family and the employees/public who witnessed this grisly event.

16 More Laws! January 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Time to outlaw roof top cafes?

17 sharon January 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

if feeling suicidal please call 1-800 833-2900

18 Cracky McGee January 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Got the WC police alert via text … Thought it was an accident or crime activity … let out a *gasp* wh
en I read the news on Claycord.com … Awful!!

19 DLS_Spartans January 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

all because justin bieber smoked a little weed SMH SADDER DAY

20 Oh January 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Why would he/she do this? The WC Nordstroms lets you return EVERYTHING… even if it’s been worn for quite some time. They are so lenient and customer friendly. No reason to kill yourself over.

On the other hand, if it was an employee. I’d understand. Try working in retail hell for any amount of time. High stress and low pay. You’d want to end it too.

21 Craig Cannon January 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I support The Mayor of Claycord, and its followers. I don’t support Bloggng this terrible desperate act. It’s a personal matter to the person and the family. Not to mention those who had to witness this. Taking Pictures of a suicide and reporting it makes no news sense. No crime was committed here except against God and humanity. Most likely a beautiful person is gone, and by no ones fault but thier own. It’s just not necessary to highlight this. Not to mention encourage other desperate acts. So sad.

22 The Real McCoy January 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

A good friend of mine committed suicide… there is no more selfish act possible, and if you do it, you deserve every last bit of scorn people can heap on you.

23 katie January 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

There is nothing as unforgivingly cruel as the news that your child has ended his life. The world is stopping right now for the mother and father and they won’ t be able to breath.
Just a memory.

24 CLAYCORD.com January 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Craig, thanks for the comment. I respectfully disagree. If a person kills themselves while at home, then it doesn’t need to be reported, but if it’s in a public place that is affecting thousands of people, then it’s news. People deserve to know what is happening. I don’t post names of suicides though, but if it’s something public like this, it should be reported so people know they’re not in danger.

Mayor

25 gg January 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Prayers for the family.
@Diablo jokes about this are cruel & tasteless. I hope you are a kid & not an adult who is this stupid.

26 Angela January 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Just in defense of the Mayor. He DID actually let us know about this news because it was in a public place, and also because anyone going towards down town W.C. can try to take a different route…

27 Mom of the Horde. January 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I support reporting it, because the investigation closed an entire block of a street downtown (in one direction) for a large block of time. Not to mention that the City also put a lot of police resources in on this investigation. When I drove by at 2:45, I saw at least 5 police cruisers, a PD SUV, at least 1 community policing vehicle, and a parking enforcement vehicle… many of them were doing traffic control.

This photo doesn’t even show where the suicide took place, just the traffic that closing off the southbound side of the street caused.

28 miek January 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I agree Mayor, this is news. This act affects alot of people

A few people on this site take a bad situation and try to crack jokes, etc.

I do think that suicide is a very selfish act. If you are not happy about the world, for whatever reason, go out to the forest and off yourself, jump in a lake, etc. What would happen if she landed on someone? Her selfish act would ruin the lives of some innocent person.

This person is so distraught, but wants to make a very public spectacle!

Thoughts and prayers to her family/friends that will now have to make sense of this selfish act

29 Craig Cannon January 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Mayor, we run a thin line here. We are both entitled to our opinion. You are the Moderator, and I respect this. Viewers, and myself, would be more upset to see this on a Broadcast or Print Media News Source. They usually do not run these. This is a Blog, however, and this Contributor appreciates your side of the opinion.

30 Mimi (original) January 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM

So very, very sad and tragic. It is very difficult for someone who has not been this depressed to understand the inability to see beyond current pain. My heart breaks for the victim, their family and friends. RIP.

31 LorieStories January 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I agree Mom. I was picking up my ids from school and traffic was blocked with tons of police. Must have been the entire police force of Walnut Creek. I was just at the Plaza thirty minutes earlier and wondered what it was. I saw a very suspiscius young man looking around the parking garage by Macy’s and wondered if it was a robbery. This is so sad. RIP.

32 CLAYCORD.com January 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Thanks, Craig.

33 j January 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This is so sad. I had a time in my own life, I came close to making this mistake. It is not at all selfish. It is an act of complete desperation and such hopelessness. For those of you who feel the need to make negative comments or remarks I would walk lightly. You never know what can happen in life and you may have to deal with this situation with your own love ones. I pray that you do not. Should you I wonder how you would feel at the remarks you make had them been made about you or your family. I know you would be the very first to call foul. God Bless this family and our prayers to the family. J

34 jr January 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I agree that news affecting public places should be reported. It does allow the reader to avoid the area or, if it is an event that may directly affect friends or family, allows the reader to take action right away.

I suggest though, that Claycord.com put a posting restriction on suicides, being such a sensitive matter to avoid posts from cowardly morons like “oh” and “Diablo”. Karma does come around and will bite you in the ass.

35 So sad... January 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

This is a very sad day for a lot of people who loved this person dearly. I would hope to see more respect shown for someone who was obviously very troubled. All the snide comments shows more about your character than anything.

36 t January 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

any word on age? young? old?

37 Agree its helpful to know/perhaps without comments January 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I agree with the Mayor that it’s helpful to know to avoid the area, and it’s helpful to know there’s not a murderer on the loose. At the same time, I see Mr. Cannon’s point.

A dear friend’s son shot himself last week. She doesn’t want it to be public at this point, preferring to have privacy to grieve and console among her closest friends. So I thinking there’s no reason for it to be public, too.

I think it is being respectful to withhold names. Perhaps turning off the comments would serve both purposes respectfully. That way, there would be no disrespectful comments.

Still, the majority of people are being respectful, showing care and concern for loved ones, and sharing information about where to find help. It is also a help to many to realize how prevalent suicide is, reminding us to listen and pay attention to those around us with respect.

This is no time for joking. The jokers should keep their comments private.

38 notindebt January 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Thank you Mayor for posting this. I would not want to bring young children downtown to experience this scene and appreciate the heads up. For anyone feeling desperate please contact: The Contra Costa Crisis Center. Crisis and Suicide
800.273.TALK / 800.SUICIDE
888.628.9454 (Español)
Grief
800.837.1818
Homeless
800.808.6444
Youth
800.833.2900
Information & Referral
211

39 RIP January 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My heart and prayers go out to all affected by this sad event

40 @sharon January 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM

41 Angela January 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I agree with you j… you said it best, “It is an act of complete desperation and such hopelessness.”

None of us can begin to imagine the dark place this poor person was in… :(

42 ShadowDemon January 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Maybe Nordstrom should consider a better pension plan…

43 GK January 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

@Diablo

As my mother always said, “If you don’t have a worthless platitude nor offer a meaningless gesture of support, don’t say anything at all.”

That being said, we all gained an angel today… I will pray for their soul.

44 Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

To ‘J’ – I respectfully disagree with you on the subject of “selfishness”, because it is, the ultimate selfish act that a person can do. I guess if a person has no loved ones or friends in the world, then there will be no one who will be asking, “what could I have done”; why didn’t I see the signs”; why didn’t someone know what he or she was thinking”; “I was his or her best friend and I never had any clue”.

There are too many people left behind to ask these questions and to feel guilt for the rest of their lives for not doing more. You were obviously fortunate to have people around who cared about you. I wish the best for you and hope that you never have to go down that path again.

45 BFG January 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I am so desperately sorry for this persons family and friends. But, I will never understand why a person taking their own life, would do so in a such a public place… I would hate to have my children/family member witness this.

46 Em Dubya January 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Lost my only brother two years ago this week to unexpected suicide. Left behind a wife and 3 daughters under the age of 10. Worst task of my life was giving his eulogy. Awful. I am very sad anytime I hear about a suicide since I live with my brother’s every day.

The cheap jokes are crass, but if someone feels like taking the time to make them, so be it.

47 Lee White January 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I used to work in radio news in another city. Our policy was that we would not report on suicides unless the individual killed him or herself in public or there was an element of prominence (e.g. a celebrity, a public official, etc.). The message I just received from Walnut Creek PD via Nixle was that the victim was a woman in her late 20s.

48 Rude January 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Uhm… If you’re reading about it you obviously wanted to know. You wouldn’t find out unless people posted the story. A “story” which is not always facts. And diablo what ate you 5? Ya norstrom sucks balls!! But to link price tags on a life.. God help you. And to all you half way wanna be funnys.. I hope nobody points and laughs when things go bad for you. Because you just displayed yourself as the world class DBAG of the year!!

49 An-Anon January 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

WC Police through Nixle have said this was a young woman, late 20′s :( SImply tragic. I’m so sad for her, for her family. And of course we’ll never understand it… you’ve never been to that place. Thank GOODNESS for that, right? So let’s not talk about things we know nothing about. And do not admonish the young lady here. She wasn’t thinking straight, she was in a place most of us only hope we’ll never go . :(

50 RanchgirlCA January 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM

This is not the time to make jokes or pass judgement on this poor soul. I lost my father to suicide and no one gets to pass judgement on him, not even me. May this poor person find the peace they were so desperately searching for. I hope the family and friends of this person are able to come together and help each other through this terrible time. I know it was those closest to me who helped me get through my ordeal.

If you are thinking about doing something like this, please know that you can and should ask for help. Suicide is not the answer and those left behind suffer and pay a hefty price.

51 Elwood January 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM

“appreciate the heads up”

Sorry, couldn’t let that one pass.

But here’s the deal:

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to read it.

52 suicide is no joke January 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM

In one year, my ex-husband, his brother & my cousin all committed suicide. I feel incredibly sad that someone would feel so hopeless & alone to do such a thing.

Those of us left behind are confused & so sad.

53 Master G January 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM

They need to make barriers or balconys/rooftops inaccesable so its not so easy for people to be able to have the chance to jump off. What a shame, and to the ones making smart ass comments, your only making yourself sound like a fool, claycordians, just ignore them instead of giving them the attention they are obviously so deprived of.

54 Pleasant Jenny January 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@RanchgirlCA: You are very wise soul. Thank you for posting.

55 Bha.. January 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Once again. Norstoms high prices will drive you off the roof!!

56 ATB January 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

post the name eventually mayor

57 anonamiss January 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Very tragic and sad. Can’t imagine how low they must have felt in their life to drive them to do this. Prayers and condolences to this person’s family.

To those mocking this person’s death, you should be ashamed. How low can you go??

58 Tina January 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

“Those of us left behind are confused & so sad.”

This says it all for people who think that suicide is not a selfish act.

Thank you to “suicide is no joke”.

59 Master G January 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Master G, I disagree. You cannot put a barrier around every tall place, building, bolt every window shut…make every tree off limits. I also don’t agree with barriers on bridges, etc. It is going to happen. We need to improve our mental health services in our society.

I’m sorry, but your comment is the same logic. The answer is not to ban, pass a law, or restrict our freedoms.

60 Sorry, tha was supposed to be "I disagree Master G" January 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Sorry, I am not you, but I was trying to quote you. Did it incorrectly.

61 mojoduck January 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

so sad a life gone
to bad sick folks on claycord making jokes about death just like the real world

62 Anon January 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Shadowdemon

Nice handle, insecure much? Or are you diablo’s shorty?

63 Lost Soul January 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Prayers and condolences to her family. This was a very selfish act–it is a wonder what caused her to do this.

64 Mom of the Horde. January 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

IMO, I doubt that WCPD wouldn’t have said anything about this suicide if investigating it hadn’t involved closing down part of a busy street for a few hours. The initial Nixle message only started that the road was closed due to “police activity” and didn’t specifically mention that it was a suicide.

WCPD routinely sends out Nixle alerts when there is a road closure involved… no matter what causes that closure.

Driving by (before I got the nixle alert), it was pretty obvious that someone died there… the whole yellow tarp and blood thing.

65 satya January 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Screw all of you people who say that suicide is a selfish act. Show a little compassion for people who commit suicide. Really, when someone has taken his own life, the first thing you say is “oh, how selfish of so and so!”? People kill themselves because they are in deep pain and they feel stuck, not because they want to hurt their friends and families. Many people who have killed themselves had serious mental health issues. Maybe if we stop condemning suicide as a selfish act and start taking mental health seriously we will have fewer suicides.

66 Parking lot officer January 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Craig Cannon said it well. It is a blog. We can do without the stonyhearted remarks.

67 call a friend January 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Is it just me or are most of you not shocked by this?
What is happening to our youth? Why are there no jobs for them? Why are they all depressed? Why do Doctors give a quick fix with anti-depressants and other drugs. Enough with Facebook and other social media sites, lets get them together and encourage them to call friends and not text.
This girls life might have been saved if it was easier to reach out and feel needed.
On another note. Nordstrom should re think their outdoor cafe, I once saw a small child almost climb over by standing on a chair. It should never be that easy.
Sorry if I sound harsh, I do care and am saddened by this more than you will ever know.

68 Bimbo Slice January 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Bimbo Slice does not condone suicide, unless it’s David Rosen. In his case I’m in favor; assisted or otherwise.

69 Hoboken January 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This is a very sad thing. Mayor do you really check posts before they are posted? I can’t believe you allowed some of the posts that are on especially the first one. I look for this site for news and sometimes read the blogs for additional info. If you are not going to review posts you should just let them go directly to the blog. A young girl is dead because she couldn’t handle part of her life. I applaud you for running this site. I know it is quite a job but if you allow the type of insensitive remarks that are sometimes posted the posters think it is ok to post such things. I am glad I didn’t read any of the remarks posted about the School tragedy where 20 children died horrifically. I hope people at least were sensitive to that.

70 Hoboken January 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

DLS Spartan – I know you have nothing to do with the school. I have been associated with DLS for many years I know the type of men they build. A true Spartan would not joke about death. If you were a Spartan for a short time before you were expelled or Flunked out none of the spirit of St La Salle got through to you. I work with students from DLS now and as always they are respectful, courteous and know the La Sallian spirit. I am ashamed that your comment has DLS associated with it.

71 CLAYCORD.com January 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

@Hoboken,

I can’t review all the comments, that would take all day. If you see something that shouldn’t be posted, email news@claycord.com and let me know. I will review it.

Mayor

72 Elwood January 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Don’t ban guns.

Ban multistory buildings.

One makes as much sense as the other.

73 The Dude January 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

A very respectful way to put your opinion Mr. Cannon, but I will respectfully disagree. There is no evidence Claycord sensationalized this or encouraged further acts of this nature, as you stated in #21. This was just factual-based reporting; something the mainstream media could take a lesson from. As to your comment of:

“Viewers, and myself, would be more upset to see this on a Broadcast or Print Media News Source. They usually do not run these.”

Well: http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_22444007/walnut-creek-police-woman-jumps-from-downtown-nordstrom

74 Bimbo Slice January 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM

@Hoboken

Calm down dude, all those douchey bros at DLS and you think some comment on Claycord is affecting the school’s rep? LOL.

Some people have to use humor to deal with this kinda stuff, don’t judge.

Not me though, I’m serious about wishing David Rosen would kill himself. Honestly, if that Race Fox punk would seek out an honorable suicide Japanese-style, that would be about the only way he could ever earn my respect after what he did.

Sorry to hear about the jumper though. . . .

75 Ana January 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM
76 Original G January 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

We’ll argue about guns, or lament the lack of a barrier whether it’s on a building or a bridge, yet society has this strange aversion towards mental health. If you have a compound fracture or a sprained ankle it’s off to seek medical help. We’ll even give our advice and share our experiences even if you don’t want to hear about it. Heck we’ll probably even drive you down there. But when it comes to mental Pain, almost no one acknowledges it, talks about it or seems willing to share their experiences.
Mental Health, the subject of which we do not speak.
Why is that?
Not dealing with it, does not seem to be working.

77 Bimbo Slice January 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

@Ana

Wow, apparently Nordstrom’s is the Golden Gate Bridge of suicide by department store leap . . . maybe it IS their prices? couldn’t be…

78 love :-) January 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM

so sad , every body need love

79 cornfed January 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM

A strange (but effective I guess) place to commit suicide. What a tragedy for this young woman.

80 Parsnip January 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM

@ #24 — But there is a reason. Traffic diversion and congestion takes place, stores are closed, people are suddenly interrupted and they don’t even know why.

I was walking from Kaiser to Macy’s passing a bus stop with jerks spouting off how “the ‘effin’ bus is ‘effin’ late” — life is ALL about them. Of course, they didn’t recognize side streets as closed, traffic detouring to main streets, and creating a traffic mess.

After the event, It’s no longer a situation that affected only the one committing suicide (albeit the rest of the surroundings only temporarily). To be able to inform “why” to the ones who become “inconvenienced,” then the news story is vital. And, If it helps avoid further chaos, and potential panic by keeping people away from the area, then it’s public service.

It’s not “invasion of privacy”; it’s attempting to avoid further turmoil.
__________

Insofar as this “Diablo” comment is concerned, it’s the useless kid of useless parents.

81 Parsnip January 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

@ #77 — The link involved a suicide in New York half a year ago. (I don’t get the relevance.)

82 Larrabee January 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

It strikes me as odd that someone would attempt suicide with a three story fall. It’s usually crippling, but rarely fatal.
Also, Diablo’s comment was about Nordstrom, not the deceased, and even though it was a product of poor judgment, he has a history (3-4 years) of positive “adult-like” comments on this site. Shrug it off; he’s earned a mulligan.

83 The Mamba January 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

That’s awful, I can’t imagine how miserable and desperate a person must be for suicide to seem like the only way out. There’s always something to live for, even if its just being stubborn enough to say, “I’m still here.” I hope her family and friends can find peace, they are in for a rough ride.

84 Bent dogg January 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM

53 years old

85 It's 'Meme' is that you Ma? January 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We all deal with the big “D” ( ‘death’ ) differently…

To choose – not life – for one’s self is so very sad – whenever…

To choose for another – is an even greater sadness – forever…

Eternal rest grant unto these and those –
And one day to all the rest of us who are left to mourn…

And may God hold you and yours’ in the palm of his hand…

Love,

“Meme”.

86 C-rod January 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

All of you pieces of sh@ts that think it’s OK to crack jokes about something like this need to grow the F##k up! Have you No respect??? You guys really think your funny? if you don’t have anything proper to say about the situation then don’t comment at all! Keep your stupid jokes to yourself

87 Parsnip January 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@ #86 — I agree. Unfortunately, their compassion won’t even surface until they lose a loved one.

88 Mister Wister January 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

@The Real McCoy,
Once again you’ve shown yourself to be dumber than a box of rocks. Please go away, you are a total loser.

89 LCM January 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My sister works at Nordstrom and are friends with the restaurant/cafe workers. The victim was a female costumer in her late 20s and she committed suicide not because of Nordstrom retail/shopping/prices reasons (like some dumb comments left here) but for something more personal. She exchanged a few words with one of the cafe workers before she committed suicide. Just had to comment because people are giving some dumb assumptions of why she committed suicide. My thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family.

90 @22The Real McCoy January 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

well jeez that was mean, it may be selfish for someone to take their own life for the sake of your friends and family members but if that person is depressed and feels that their life isn’t worth living anymore you’re the one who is selfish for hanging on to anger and rather them live their life miserable.

91 wendy January 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

please dont leave mean messages about my sister. we are in great mourn. and the last thing we need is jokes about why she did this, she was a great person inside and out. you cannot understand what we are going through. what my mother and father are dealing with as well as my other sisters. we love her and id give the world for her to come back to us. death is no joke no matter how it happens. my heart aches every second.

92 cici January 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@ Wendy… Please forgive them they know not what they do. Sometimes people joke when they don’t know what to say or do. It’s awful and so hurtful.
My thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family. I am truly sorry about your sister, My daughter lost a dear friend this way and I have seen how it affects a family forever.
May God give you all the strength to get through this devastating time and may the Community show kindness and support to all of you.
{{{hugs for you}}}

93 @Hoboken #70 January 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

You need to take your angel goggles off and open your eyes up to the type of kids that DLS can produce. Sure, like every school, there are good kids there but certainly don’t be fooled by everything you see … I could share quite a few Facebook profiles where the good ol DLS boys use the awful word “nigga” in every other sentence on status updates and “like” FB pages focused on marijuana …

94 Lily of The Valley January 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

So sad, read this last nght but I did’nt know she was my niece’s best friend. I knew her and I’m in shock as a mother of two kids. My prayers to her familiy and friends.

95 J. January 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Rest in Peace

96 Lolo January 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Does anyone know what the victim was saying before she decided to do this? The situation is just so strange, I know a previous commenter had mentioned that this woman was exchanging words with an employee before this happened, and I was wondering if she had said anything along the lines of intending to hurt herself, why didn’t the employee(s?) call someone to help?

97 Take Cali Death Row with you January 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Now if only all of our Cali death row inmates would be influenced by this Cali would be out of debt…..

98 Parsnip January 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

@Take Cali Death Row with you #97 — “With you”?

Any reason that you know of why she should be their leader? You are a pretty callous SOB.

99 @ Mayor January 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM

So who was it Mayor? What if it was someone close? There is no details in the above article. If i know who this girl is i will cry.

100 mec172003 January 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Our mental health in this country is tragic. I wish she could have gotten the support she needed to prevent this. For anyone reading this who may be contemplating suicide, your pain is just a blip in all the love and happiness you will have in life. Please please please don’t do it.

101 Kris January 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

@Craig… you are mistaken friend. It already IS being reported elsewhere. Run a quick search and there are a lot of stories from other news sources, many reported much less respectfully than here. It would be remiss of Claycord not to include this on it’s blog. It affected more people than you know. Even my 13 year old daughter was discussing this when she got home from school today and I’m thankful to be able to explain what happened with her and open a discussion. My thanks to Claycord for the thoughtful comments and respectful reporting of this tragedy.

102 the watch January 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Anyone know her name?

103 Erica January 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Praying for her loved ones. It’s absolutely heartbreaking and sad. I don’t know how some of you can come on here and say such cold hearted things. I will also pray for those of you who show no compassion for the family members who have lost their daughter/sister/aunt/friend, because god forbid it happens to one of you.I hope none of you ever have to feel what they are feeling.

104 Listed mia January 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

this is very sad, late 20′s I am in my late 20′s and unfortunately lived my later teen years in this area I wonder if I knew her??. I hope her family maintains the strength they need to get through this.
and as for diablo I bet I know who you are. your probably that piece of sh@t that resides in Martinez that makes everyones lives fu**ing miserable because all you do is smoke crank and ride your daddys coat tail threaten and harass all the innocents. guess what dude daddy left you cause you were going to get him sent back to prison for life where he should rightfully be if he wasn’t a snitch. don’t worry people he thinks he is OG white boy (original gangster) but he is little b@tch 40 year old tweaker with no life and no possessions. he goes by diablo and you can find him in Martinez go show him your respects if you please he is a b@tch

105 nanette January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

It’s good for us to know and it’s good to talk about what just happened… don’t ignore suicidal people.

106 Darwin January 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem….sad

107 Joan January 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Who is it? This is a small town and this family needs support and comfort.

108 ANNON January 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Very Sad…. May she Rest in Peace & Condolences to the family!
No one knows what goes through someones troubled minds. People need to stop and think before they play w/ peoples minds or emotions! Some people can not take the stress or are alone with what they are feeling. Family can be a main source of heart ache for an individual. So think before you neglect and ignore loved ones! Too late after the fact!

109 ANNON January 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

@ Darwin, well said but who caused the problem?

110 anon January 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I knew her since 99. Very awesome. Have no idea why she took this unfornate decision. May God Almighty take care of her family. We will miss you JGA

111 @ Mayor January 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Its been a whole day and no name? I highly doubt that mayor

112 Scott January 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

whoever uses the name “diablo” shouldn’t be taken seriously…

113 Antler January 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

#111 ~ ~ ~ First the Coroner must release a report. Then next-of-kin will be notified. Then probably the public will be told the deceased’s identity. If you are sincerely worried that you might know the woman’s family and your intent is to be of emotional support to them, how about you stop taunting Mayor and just telephone all your late-20 female friends to see how they are.

114 Erica January 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

@Antler awesome advice!

I’m pretty sure the family would like to have some privacy. It’s the least that they deserve. Especially since so many of you have such horrible things to say. Instead of spending your energy wondering who it is or why it happened how about using that energy to pray for her loved ones.

115 Selene Scott January 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Among the postings are those who make light about it, which, I’m right there with. Those who bash them for not being serious about it, that’s lame, they don’t care what you think. And the worst ones are those that ‘Have prayers for the poor sad thing, Bless Bless” that’s just as inappropriate

116 Diablo January 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Mr. Mayor,
I know this is quite some time after this tragedy but in doing some reading I realized this exact same thing has happened at another Nordstrom’s out of state in July 2012. Didn’t know if you were aware of it but to me I was very surprised.

117 MyDeathSpace.com January 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It’s ridiculous that this poor soul’s name has not been released in the media yet. Usually we are very good at finding names out from friend’s RIP comments on social networking sites. What gives?!

118 Name February 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The other site crazy suburbia said it is Jessica Almaraz. I wonder if the funeral took place yet?

119 anonymous February 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

i witnessed this suicide. it was shocking and i am having trouble dealing with it. I want to find out who she was just for my own edification. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.