UPDATE: Walnut Creek Police Investigating Possible Suicide at Nordstrom

January 24, 2013 15:27 pm · 119 comments

police_nordstrom

The Walnut Creek Police are investigating an apparent suicide at Nordstrom in Broadway Plaza.

We’re hearing the person possibly jumped from the roof, or a balcony on the building. One witness said there is blood all over and the alleged jumper’s body is partially in the bushes.

The Walnut Creek Police are asking people to avoid southbound Broadway at Cypress Street, and also Duncan street near Broadway/Mt. Diablo Blvd. for the next hour while they investigate.

Thanks to Tiffany for the picture.

UPDATE, 4:15pm: All roads have been reopened.

UPDATE, 5:20pm: WCPD confirms it’s a suicide. Here’s the update:

On 1/24/13 at 1:51pm, the Walnut Creek Police Department received a report that a subject had jumped off the roof at Broadway Plaza, landing near the sidewalk of South Broadway and Mt Diablo Blvd.

The subject was a female in her late 20’s and was pronounced deceased at the scene. Witnesses and the subsequent investigation revealed the subject was by herself when she intentionally jumped off the third floor balcony.

The subject’s identity is being withheld pending notification by the CCC Coroner’s office. The suicide resulted in nearby roads being closed. All roads were reopened at 1513 hours.

101 Kris January 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

@Craig… you are mistaken friend. It already IS being reported elsewhere. Run a quick search and there are a lot of stories from other news sources, many reported much less respectfully than here. It would be remiss of Claycord not to include this on it’s blog. It affected more people than you know. Even my 13 year old daughter was discussing this when she got home from school today and I’m thankful to be able to explain what happened with her and open a discussion. My thanks to Claycord for the thoughtful comments and respectful reporting of this tragedy.

102 the watch January 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Anyone know her name?

103 Erica January 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Praying for her loved ones. It’s absolutely heartbreaking and sad. I don’t know how some of you can come on here and say such cold hearted things. I will also pray for those of you who show no compassion for the family members who have lost their daughter/sister/aunt/friend, because god forbid it happens to one of you.I hope none of you ever have to feel what they are feeling.

104 Listed mia January 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

this is very sad, late 20’s I am in my late 20’s and unfortunately lived my later teen years in this area I wonder if I knew her??. I hope her family maintains the strength they need to get through this.
and as for diablo I bet I know who you are. your probably that piece of sh@t that resides in Martinez that makes everyones lives fu**ing miserable because all you do is smoke crank and ride your daddys coat tail threaten and harass all the innocents. guess what dude daddy left you cause you were going to get him sent back to prison for life where he should rightfully be if he wasn’t a snitch. don’t worry people he thinks he is OG white boy (original gangster) but he is little b@tch 40 year old tweaker with no life and no possessions. he goes by diablo and you can find him in Martinez go show him your respects if you please he is a b@tch

105 nanette January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

It’s good for us to know and it’s good to talk about what just happened… don’t ignore suicidal people.

106 Darwin January 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem….sad

107 Joan January 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Who is it? This is a small town and this family needs support and comfort.

108 ANNON January 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Very Sad…. May she Rest in Peace & Condolences to the family!
No one knows what goes through someones troubled minds. People need to stop and think before they play w/ peoples minds or emotions! Some people can not take the stress or are alone with what they are feeling. Family can be a main source of heart ache for an individual. So think before you neglect and ignore loved ones! Too late after the fact!

109 ANNON January 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

@ Darwin, well said but who caused the problem?

110 anon January 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I knew her since 99. Very awesome. Have no idea why she took this unfornate decision. May God Almighty take care of her family. We will miss you JGA

111 @ Mayor January 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Its been a whole day and no name? I highly doubt that mayor

112 Scott January 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

whoever uses the name “diablo” shouldn’t be taken seriously…

113 Antler January 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

#111 ~ ~ ~ First the Coroner must release a report. Then next-of-kin will be notified. Then probably the public will be told the deceased’s identity. If you are sincerely worried that you might know the woman’s family and your intent is to be of emotional support to them, how about you stop taunting Mayor and just telephone all your late-20 female friends to see how they are.

114 Erica January 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

@Antler awesome advice!

I’m pretty sure the family would like to have some privacy. It’s the least that they deserve. Especially since so many of you have such horrible things to say. Instead of spending your energy wondering who it is or why it happened how about using that energy to pray for her loved ones.

115 Selene Scott January 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Among the postings are those who make light about it, which, I’m right there with. Those who bash them for not being serious about it, that’s lame, they don’t care what you think. And the worst ones are those that ‘Have prayers for the poor sad thing, Bless Bless” that’s just as inappropriate

116 Diablo January 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Mr. Mayor,
I know this is quite some time after this tragedy but in doing some reading I realized this exact same thing has happened at another Nordstrom’s out of state in July 2012. Didn’t know if you were aware of it but to me I was very surprised.

117 MyDeathSpace.com January 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It’s ridiculous that this poor soul’s name has not been released in the media yet. Usually we are very good at finding names out from friend’s RIP comments on social networking sites. What gives?!

118 Name February 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The other site crazy suburbia said it is Jessica Almaraz. I wonder if the funeral took place yet?

119 anonymous February 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

i witnessed this suicide. it was shocking and i am having trouble dealing with it. I want to find out who she was just for my own edification. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.