Sizzler on Willow Pass Road in Concord to be Remodeled

January 22, 2013 9:28 am · 46 comments

Sizzler, the 55-year-old family-casual steakhouse, announced today its second multi-unit franchise agreement for the San Francisco Bay Area. Restaurant developer Anil Yadav will open six new Sizzler restaurants in the market and remodel six existing restaurants in Concord, Albany, Colma, San Jose, Redwood City and Daly City.

With the purchase of six Sizzler restaurants in Northern California, Yadav now owns and operates 255 restaurants, including 110 Jack in the Box restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area, Stockton, Sacramento, and Monterey and an additional 109 throughout Dallas and Houston, making him the largest Jack in the Box franchisee in the United States. He is also the largest Denny’s franchisee in California with 30 locations throughout the Stockton and Sacramento markets.

“The unit economics of the remodeled Sizzler restaurants that feature our updated decor and made from scratch menu speak for themselves and have allowed us to generate interest from accomplished developers like Anil,” said Kerry Kramp , Sizzler’s CEO. “Anil embodies all the qualities we look for in our franchise partners; he is passionate about giving back to his community and enthusiastic about taking Sizzler into its next 50 years of prosperity.”

Since 2008, Sizzler’s system wide sales have surged, and Sizzler restaurants that feature the new prototype design are experiencing year over year sales increases. The agreement with Yadav follows Sizzler’s first multi-unit expansion deal in three years with another proven restaurateur, Tony Lutfi , who will develop five new restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area.

“A brand can only be as successful as its leadership team, and after meeting with the Sizzler executives, I see that they truly understand today’s economic climate and know what it takes for a restaurant to be relevant to consumers,” said Yadav. “Sizzler has had ups and downs throughout its long history, but I’m confident about the growth plan and brand vision set forth by Kerry and his team. I want to be on the ground floor as Sizzler climbs to the top of the casual dining scene once again.”

QUESTION: When was the last time you ate at Sizzler?

1 Mr. John January 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM

2004 – My girlfriend, her father and I went there. He loved the place. I liked their cheese toast. Beyond that, it is mediocre food for a mediocre price.

As you’re getting what you pay for, I have no problem with the chain.

2 No Bueno January 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM

When I was younger I thought that it was a good place (fancy even). I don’t know if they changed or I did, but the food does not taste quality and the service is typically diner-rate (read: Flo “Kiss my grits”) and the crowd (perhaps just in Concord) seems to be from the Double-wide Trailer Park.

It has its place, but not in my list of places to go. I may have to poke my head in once they remodel, but you know what they say about White-washed graves…pretty on the outside, rotting on the inside.

3 Brian Marchiano January 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I once ate steak and Malibu chicken there in 1985. I haven’t been back since. There must be a reason.

4 J. January 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

For many years we all enjoyed Sizzler. Especially the big salad bar. Then once a medium steak came out rare. After waiting it came out rare again. By the 5th time coming out rare we gave up and never went back. A streakhouse should know how to cook a medium steak.

I appreciate that Sizzler is making an investment in the neighborhood.

5 Sandy January 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My family used to eat there often when there was one on the Clayton border near CVS. It’s now a Petfood Express. So it’s been awhile.

6 Rum Runner January 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I ate there about 2 months ago with a coworker and it was fine. Steak was juicy. Service was Sizzler. The house Burgundy was a little on the acidic side but I wasn’t expecting Cave L’Aurance Cremant de Bourgogne…. and….I’ll probably go back again next month.

7 Palermo January 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM

We were probably there about four months ago. I like the salad bar and the fact that you can get a steak that isn’t a humongous piece of meat.

8 Shuley January 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I thought it was required you be 70 years or older to eat there…

I very rarely order steak out at a restaurant or even go to steakhouses. If I want steak, I’ll go to Fritz’s and get a prime NY strip and cook it myself. That way, I know it will be good.

9 Dragon January 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I was taken there by dates a few times when I was in high school (early 90s). Today, every time I walk past that one on Willow Pass Road, I think of one of the characters in White Men Can’t Jump (I think Kadeem Hardison’s character) celebrating a successful hustle with “We goin’ Sizzler! We goin’ Sizzler!”

10 Concord Grape January 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Guessing I am showing my age, ate there about two weeks ago

11 I Don't eat their January 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I gave eatin their with my family on many occasions , hoping every time I go their their good will be better variety or or taste better then the last time I went , however it always was the same not a lot of variety and not to good on taste , costumer service I must say was not all that impressive either

12 stumpy January 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

The last time I ate at the Concord location was last fall. I took the survey they asked you to take and my biggest complaint was how poor the resturant looked with worn out seats and carpet. A day or so later I got a call from a man that said he now owned the store and he be remodeling it before the end of the year. He also asked that I not come back in untill he called me to buy me dinner and see the new remodel.

13 biggus thinkus January 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I used to go there about 20yrs ago when me and my buddies would clean them out having a shrimp fest. Alas, some years after that i had a horrible dining experience and I have NO desire to go back. so, last time, 15+yrs ago.
its just well below mediocre for my tastes. especially since we have so many other high caliber restaurants to chose from.

14 Paul (formerly) in South Concord January 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quit going in about 2000, when after a visit, I turned up allergic to shellfish. I’m one of those people you hear about, that developed the allergy, later in life (wasn’t born with it, or whatever). In the late ’90’s, my girlfriend (now wife) worked in one, up north. We loved the Malibu Chicken and figured out how to make a reasonable facsimile, at home!

15 David January 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I consider Sizzlers on par with Denny’s, iHOP, or other similar low-end restaurants. For that reason when I have money to go out for dinner I will usually pick a place that has a reputation of meeting or exceeding a higher standard. This “usually” is not a chain restaurant. I’m not against chain restaurants, but generally they have the reputation of having a lack of pride in the food they serve resulting in a lower quality experience overall. So to answer your question, I never go to Sizzlers.

16 AJ Buttacavoli January 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Opportunity Knocks: Anil Yadav is Closing In On 200 Locations
By: John Carroll

When Anil Yadav hears people talk about the United States as the land of opportunity, he takes pride in the fact that his life since emigrating from India has been a testament to the promise implicit in that phrase.

From his first job as a teenage fry cook at the local Jack in the Box in Northern California, to his position today overseeing an empire of 181 restaurant locations, Yadav knows firsthand what that promise means.

Today, he takes pride in remembering his own humble beginnings and still likes to roll up his sleeves and jump in to cook burgers at one of his 155 Jack in the Box units. He not only knows how to cook–he could train most any of the thousands of employees who rely on him for a job.

“We’ve enjoyed a lot of growth,” says Yadav. But being able to thrive in this prolonged recession requires a steady command of the basics: cost control, hard work, strong training, and earning employees’ respect while demanding integrity and honesty from everyone on the team.

“Once you get to a certain level, you often change your fundamental values, but I have never done that,” says Yadav. That steadfastness is one reason he has been able to command the loyalty of workers, some of whom have been in his organization for the full 21 years he’s been in franchising. His success at staying focused has earned him a place among this year’s group of MVP Award winners named by Multi-Unit Franchisee magazine at this year’s Multi-Unit Franchising Conference.

Yadav got his start in franchising on his home turf in Northern California, a market he understood well. When he got the chance to acquire 25 Jack in the Box locations in the Sacramento area 6 years ago, he immediately grabbed for the brass ring. Later, as he had a chance to consider that he had yet to build a sturdy company operation to manage the units, he learned an invaluable lesson: Don’t leap before you have a built-in safety net with a strong company infrastructure.

That experience proved a little frightening, but it didn’t stop him. Today he has that operational structure in place and can continue to grow, knowing that he has a great team in place to ensure everything is run properly.

But what Yadav treasures more than anything is one of the first, most simple rules in business: Hard work can cure a host of small problems. He still shows the same zest for a 12-hour day he spoke of when Multi-Unit Franchisee profiled him in 2008 (http://www.mufranchisee.com/article/657/). He doesn’t consider himself particularly innovative, nor is he looking for any high praise. But that can be a strength as well. “Being humble has really helped,” he says.

In

17 Eek! January 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I have a close personal friend who used to read the meters there. While remodeling keep in mind the rodent problem.

18 ethel January 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Wasn’t that your place of employment Mayor, when you first started this blog, or was that just a rumor?

19 Howard K. Mullins III January 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I don’t think I have ever eaten at the Sizzler on Concord. Nor the Denny’s or any Jack in the Box.

Guess I prefer not to patronize chains.

20 Kirkwood January 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Have gone occasionaly to that Sizzler over the last couple of decades, although it’s not a place where I would bring guests The food is mostly good and service is usually good, depending who is working that day. I never judge a restauraunt on one visit alone. Just because there is one item on the menu you don’t like doesn’t mean the whole menu is that way. Where else can a senior get a steak dinner for $10?

I come from the working class and snooty is not on my agenda.

21 Root Beer January 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

After not going to a Sizzler in probably ten years I walked into the restaurant on Willow Pass Road about four years ago. I turned around and walked out again. It smelled like urine. I doubt I’ll ever go back, even after the remodel.

22 D January 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

We go there.. with some regularity.. Senior meals – a taste of a lot of different things.. A reasonably priced dinner and ambiance to meet friends and catch up. I will enjoy seeing it (and Daly City another Sizzler I have been in) remodeled.. Hoping they can improve the foot traffic flow a bit..

23 I'm The Urban Spaceman January 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Early 1980’s for me…in WC on Main St across from Gemco…Now a Target and Sizzler is now Fuddruckers.

24 Dorothy January 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

That the same one that closed suddenly for a while and then reopened? I went once after it reopen because I had a coupon for a meal. It’s so-so. The one in Antioch really needs help.

If you want a really good steak, cooked just the way you want it, go to a Texas Roadhouse. I’ve found their steaks to be consistantly good in all the states that I’ve been to that have that franchise. There are 3 or 4 of them in the Bay Area now.

25 Mr Pink January 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Been a few years since I’ve dined at Sizzler. When the closed the one in the Ygnacio Valley center I wasn’t inclined to seek one out, but then it had been since the 80’s that I probably ate at that one.

The fam did hit a Sizzler in Brisbane a few years ago while staying overnight at some hotel before catching a plane in the AM. It was walking distance from the hotel and the kids were enticed by the buffett. All in all it was OK.

26 Killjoy January 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

It’s been years. The last sizzler I went to, has since burned down and is now a pet food express.

27 Antler January 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I went to that particular Sizzler shortly after it first opened……however long ago that was. There is no particular problem about not having been back there again. It’s just that if I have already driven that far from home, there are other restaurants in that area I prefer.

28 just me January 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

One key question Mr. Mayor……..what will you be doing w/out operating the Salad Bar? Any fix in store for the soda machine that caused you so many problems?

Ok…….this is for all the long time followers of the Maryor’s blog. I am sure Radar would have appreciated it…….RIP!

29 CLAYCORD.com January 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

LOL Just Me. That’s funny. :)

Mayor

30 Mel January 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I ate at one in 2001. That was enough for me.

31 Julio-Antioch January 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Not high quality but we drop in at Concord or Antioch on occassion. OK in a hurry. The Antioch one seems to have changed hands and is awful. We are salad people so the salad bar is the attraction.

32 Blah Blah blah January 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You mean people actually eat there? I thought it was just a front for illegal business.

33 Starfish January 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

It’s OK–average dining facility. I don’t go there too often–there are much better restaurants in claycord.

34 Bob H. January 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The Wife & I go to Sizzler after we do our Meals -On-Wheels route. Nothing fancy, but the prices reflect that. A nice meal-a glass of wine and We are good. Why would you go to Sizzler and expect it to be like the Hilton? At some point you will be happy that you are just alive. Stop your B—-en!!

35 Kirkwood January 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

@Bob H
You are right! Every morning that I wake up is a good morning. :-)

36 mad mom January 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Haven’t been there since you worked there ;D

37 CLAYCORD.com January 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

LOL Mad Mom. I love that everybody remembers the Sizzler days, haha.

38 Close it! January 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The best thing that the owners could do is close that dive, Tried in 1985 haven’t been back since. Garbage is all they serve.

39 interested January 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I was just glancing across the street at the Willow Pass location while I was at the Patelco ATM the other day. It’s been 15 years or more since we’ve been there & I don’t remember anything unpleasant about it. I’ll be looking for coupons etc. when they finish the remodel project & reopen.

40 Mika January 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Great comment Bob H.! They do have a nice salad bar, but they could be a little quicker refreshing items. Their dinner rolls are delicious!

41 Anon January 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM

We haven’t been there is about 6 years but mostly beause I have a picky kid.

42 Cowellian January 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

There are a lot of folk who remember the Mayor’s history.

I pretty much gave up on Sizzler based on the way they handled the Clayton Valley closure. That left more of a bad taste in my mouth than their plastic whipped topping.

43 kiarfy January 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I haven’t been there in years-it’s ok–I guess it depends on which one you go to.

44 debdvo January 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

That’s where my kids decided they love lobster…imagine how much they will love it at a place w/ real butter! My kids love that place…when it’s their choice that’s where we land.

45 Ick January 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Glad that more people will be able to enjoy it. It’s a low price for low quality food. I haven’t been back to a sizzler in about 30 years. I got what I paid for I guess.

46 nuts, cheese and cockroaches on my salad! January 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

me and my dad ate there once and we saw COCKROACHES!!!! crawling on the salad bar!