“Knock Knock Knock” at 8am on Monday Morning in Montecito

January 21, 2013 10:24 am · 42 comments

A suspicious man was knocking on doors in Concord’s Montecito neighborhood on Monday morning, asking people about their home alarm system.

Hi Claycord, I woke up at about 8am today (on my day off) to some guy knocking on my door asking me if I had an alarm on my house and if not, if I would consider purchasing an alarm system from G.E. The way he knocked made it sound like somebody was in trouble, so that’s why I answered my door. I told him in a rough voice that I have a no soliciting sign, and he said he was worried about my safety and thought I would appreciate him asking because he had a “one time special offer”. I kept saying “no”, but he kept pushing to “come in and sit down to discuss the offer”. Finally I asked him if he had a permit from the police to sell items door-to-door, and he said he was exempt. I told him I would call the police to find out, but then he left.

He was a white man in his late-30′s with black hair and a black beard. He was driving a very beat up Toyota Corolla with no license plates. The brochure he had in his hand looked like it was printed from his home computer, and it was in black & white. He was also wearing a skull ring on his thumb.

I live in the Montecito neighborhood, near Ygnacio & Cowell Road in Concord.

I’m headed out right now to buy a security camera for my front porch.

Good idea, security cameras are great, and can often be hidden on your property so the person won’t even know they’re being videotaped.

Claycord.com received one other tip today regarding this man. The other tipster also lives in Montecito, so watch out for this very suspicious individual.

Related News: Burglary in Crystyl Ranch on Saturday morning

{ 42 comments }

1 co-co-res January 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

highly suspicious; i would have called the police just because of no license plates on the toyota coupled with him knocking on your door at 8:00 a.m. on a holiday. at least CPD can have a description of him and his car in case there are other reports. he sure sounded pushy which makes me think maybe he was a real salesman at one time.

2 itsme January 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Someone came to my house a few weeks ago telling me that GE was trying to get interested parties in my area, Bailey to Claycord, then a salesman would be back in a few weeks to sell the alarm system. I told him we already have one. He couldn’t see the sign on the walkway up to the door? I think they are casing places. I hope she does contact the PD.

3 Mr. John January 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

When a solicitor breaks the ‘No soliciting’ sign rule, close the door, tell them they can leave a brocheure or card on your doorstep, and then call the police. If they do leave something, they likely left you fingerprints that you can give to the cops if there is a breakin in your area. If you have a security system in place and capture a picture of them, provide that too – and see if the Mayor is interested in it.

4 auntigommy January 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I would like info on a secutity camera…make and where to buy

5 auntigommy January 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

opps..*security*

6 J. Lilly January 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I’ll bet $20 this was a low wage earner just trying to do his crappy job. Do some reporting and let us know the resolution to this matter.

7 Larkin Walken January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We had the same thing happen to us a couple of weeks again, in Walnut Creek 4 blocks from Northgate High School. I felt it was pretty obvious he was casing our house to figure out if it already had an alarm system or not, so best thing to do might be to say you have an alarm system already and you’re very happy with it.

8 Brian January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If he wants in the house it is not to sell you an alarm, don’t let him in! Home Invasion! Never let anyone in the house to sell you something unless they have made an appointment and are checked out. A man like this will overpower a woman alone at home easily!

9 Angela January 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Same thing at my door. It was a group of young men. Very agressive.

10 WC resident January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We’ve had the exact same thing happening here in the Woodlands area. Not the same person as described above but a male in his late 20′s early 30′s dressed in plain clothes (not a uniform) and extremely persistent in asking questions about our home security, telling us about wires being cut so security alarms won’t work. He tried to come in the house and I told him between our security system and our 100+ pound pitbull/lab who won’t hesitate to rip your face off we are good. Not to mention the fact we won’t think twice about shooting anyone who tries to break in. My dog who I was blocking from going out the front door was going crazy growling and trying to get at the guy so he abruptly left.

11 Larkin Walken January 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

As a woman who is sometimes alone in the house, I don’t open the door if I’m alone. I look out the peep hole (every front door should have one, really… they are great) to see if I know the person standing there. If I don’t, I don’t open the door to them. Better to be safe than sorry, and home invasion robberies have been on the rise.

12 Noj January 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

When you display a “no soliciting” sign on your door and some yayhoo comes knocking, he’s trespassing. That’s why you call the police.

13 Shuley January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

They are always advertising. Worse than Kirby vacuum sales:

Now Hiring Sales 2013! (concord / pleasant hill / martinez)
We currently have 8 positions available for our Concord Office. We are looking for motivated, hardworking individuals who have a goal to advance in everything in their life. We are a stable and fast growing company. We advertise new GE products exclusive to residential homeowners. We provide the BEST sales and MANAGEMENT training anywhere. PAID weekly plus Benefits. If you have no experience in sales that’s ok! You work hard, YOU will be successful. THIS IS AN EXCITING TIME FOR US! COME BE A PART OF IT!!!

What you can expect:
Weekly pay (average is $800 +)
Full benefits (eye, med, dental)
Great hours (30hours wk)
Management advance (depends on you)

14 Enfield303 January 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’d call the police just because he wore a skull ring on his thumb.

15 DoReMi January 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Aggressive sales won’t get me to open my door. Just think what would happen if they knew everyone was disarmed.

16 Sunstar January 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’ve had them at my door–they are not that aggressive. As far as casing–couldn’t see that they were.; you can basically tell the difference.

17 East Bay Transplant January 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Costco has a great video system, at a great price. MAke sure the system you buy records and that it is not too grainy video capture…costco allows for returns if not satisfied. Suspicious people…The other day a guy with a huge tattoo on his neck came to my home asking if i wanted to buy a Kirby Vacuum…very pushy…dont answer the door when in doubt…”don’t sacrifice safety for convenience”.

18 Incognito January 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I agree
The Peep Hole in your front door is a wonderful thing.
They are easy to install.
Go get one, install it, and start using it.
No need to open the door after that to anyone you don’t know.
Simple fix.

19 Scott January 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Unfortunately, a door to door salesman isn’t the career it used to be. You don’t see mature men walking around in suits with briefcases or men with suits selling vacuums. It’s all riff raff. Younger kids (17+) who party a lot, and a few older ones that are down on their luck. There are a few home alarm companies that go around like this. I wouldn’t worry about it. And these people are trained to be pushy, you have to push back and take control with them, tell them to leave like this guy did.

20 Screwy Louie January 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Don’t forget to put signs up with your new camera(s).
A metal box, with an Alarm co. decal on it, mounted over the garage door, looks like a house alarm.

21 anon January 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Had this happen once to me, though the person who came to my door was clean and dressed in business casual clothes. He asked about my alarm system, suggested I consider a better one from him. I didn’t pursue it. The next day, my neighbor was burglarized. I am almost positive he was canvassing the neighborhood and seeing who had what in place.

22 Paul (formerly) in South Concord January 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM

@ auntigommy #4.

Are you looking for a pro installed/monitored alarm system? Or a “Do It Yourself” camera system?

For camera systems, you can find Swann, Q See & Nightowl brand products, at places like Fry’s, Costco and even some el-cheapo off-brand stuff at Harbor Freight Tools. These brands all have product lines that are “economical”, but are generally decent and reliable. They also make really expensive stuff, too! Although, I’m not sure about Nightowl, I think they might be “economy” only.

23 Mama Dog January 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Mayor, why would you want a security camera hidden? Wouldn’t it be a better deterrent if it was.visible? I don’t understand why somebody would want it hidden. If they can’t see it, they wont know they are being recorded and they will still do what they are going to do to you.
Yeah, you might have some video of them after they are done, but you are still a crime victim. It makes much more sense to me to have it visible. Hell, I’d even put up signs telling them they are being recorded.
It makes no sense to me to hide a security camera.

24 Mike troll January 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

question: if you have a “no soliciting” sign on your door and they ignore it n try selling you something do you have the right to detain them for trespassing while you call n wait for the cops to come?

also why would you hide security cameras, hidden cameras are not much of a theft deterrent.

25 Sharon Budde January 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I have noted that GE really is running a special on security systems at the moment, so he may have been legitimate. Also, ADT also leaves photocopied brochures, so that may not mean anything, either. However, the lack of a license plate on the front of is vehicle is suspicious unless it just rusted and fell off or he can’t afford to register the vehicle. In this economy, it’s hard to know.

26 Jerk January 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Maybe my other comment was too hard, LOL.
Anyways – Who opens their door for a stranger? I would probably just pretend to not be home ready to SHOOT a few Photos should this tool decide to peak over the fence etc.
Criminals HATE having their photos taken and especially having them posted on Claycord.

27 Shelly January 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Same thing happened to my aunt last year and a week later she was robbed. :( I am just saddened by the world today…

28 @Mama Dog January 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

If the thieves see your camera, they steal that too!. They just cut the wires and take the camera. It has happened up and down my street.

29 ConcordMike January 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My cameras are visible at each corner of my house. Four in front, four in the rear to capture almost every spot of my property. Infrared, so they glare red at night. Highly visible. We bought them because we like to watch the animals around our house at night. No crime issues.
An elderly woman was murdered in Lafayette a few years ago by a door-to-door salesman. Remember?
I have a No Soliciting sign too, but that doesn’t stop them. I even have a little wooden gate to my porch, but they still open that to ring the doorbell.
I bought my Q-See system at Costco, because they backup their products and will help with any issues you have. $299 for 8 cameras and a 320GB Hard Drive. Plus I can watch my house on my iPhone while away and in the yard. I can see the front while in the back.
Fry’s is a great alternative for a single or four camera system.

30 encyclopedia33 January 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I NEVER open my door for people I don’t know. I look out the side window at my front door. We have a nice “No soliciting” sign at the entrance to our street that you can’t miss. I yell “get off my porch” loud and rude to people that ignore the sign and still try to selll me something thru my front door. JEEZ……. I hate seeing strangers on my porch after dark especilly.

31 twallace January 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM

just say hello to my pit bull or get off my porch

32 Mama Dog January 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Well, a person with even half a brain in their head would put the camera out of reach. It’s not that hard. It’s stupid to have a security camera in reach. Almost as stupid as it is to have one hidden unless your goal isn’t deterrence but to capture your house being robbed.

33 anon January 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I bought a camera after seeing photos on Claycord.com of the guy stealing UPS packages. I bought a DLink DCS930L wireless internet camera on EBay for $50.00. Easy to set up. It detects motion and sends a picture to my email. If they steal the camera, I still have their picture. You can even buy dummy cameras (fake) to scare off criminals.

34 Duh January 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Why do peoe give these folks attention. If nobody opened their door or purchased anything this way, then they would go away.

35 Retired COP January 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

“When you display a “no soliciting” sign on your door and some yayhoo comes knocking, he’s trespassing. That’s why you call the police”

No cop will arrest & no DA will file charges

36 anonanonagain January 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

A few months ago, I had a salesman come to my door wanting to know what type of security alarm I had. He was telling me that some systems work from your electricity box line and can be easily cut. He had all the right credentials and knew his stuff. I had to send him on his way. I am sure there are some that are casing the “joint” but there are those that are just trying to make a living in this trying day and age…..

37 dilligafman January 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

if i don’t know you,i answer the door with my 4 best friends- Mr.Smith,Mr.Wesson and my 2 130+pound rotties!!!

38 Ricardoh January 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Anyone soliciting should have a city permit. If they don’t call the police. Do yourself or neighbor a favor. Ask for and read the permit. Know what one should look like.

39 Howard K. Mullins III January 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I heard on the news that two robbery’s in Piedmont today began with strangers knocking on the door early in the morning.

They knocked at one house and the guy had dogs, the robbers left.

They did rob two older couples. Chicken shit bastards that they are.

So far the police have not found the chicken s#$t bastard robbers.

40 @Mama Dog January 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Well you seem to be a know it all. Do you really think my neighbors up and down my street have only have half a brain and just installed their cameras at arms reach? No they did NOT!

41 Concerned-in-Martinez January 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

My husband purchased our Q See System from Costco and installed it himself…the camera images have great definition, even at night. The ends of the cameras glow a rich red color at night which makes them highly visible (which to me, is a good thing—since we installed them way up out of reach). The iPhone app is truly excellent and gives you peace of mind while you’re away from home… there have been occassions where we have seen strange cars parked in front of our house while we were out of town and called our neighbors to check in.

42 Mama Dog January 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Damn @mamadog, chill out!! Wow you really take things that strangers on the internet say very personally dont you? Lol. Relax. Nobody kicked your puppy or anything. Damn.