Black Ice Causes Multi-Vehicle Crash on Treat Boulevard in Walnut Creek

January 21, 2013 10:46 am · 40 comments

crash

black_ice1

black_ice2

black_ice3

A multi-vehicle crash on Treat Boulevard in Walnut Creek is still under investigation, but witnesses on scene say the collision was caused by black ice.

Television news cameraman Craig Cannon was on scene videotaping the incident, and says authorities “closed eastbound Treat Boulevard for a while near Cherry Lane, and all westbound lanes were closed except for one while they removed the vehicles, which slid on the ice, flew over the icy divider strip, and landed on the westbound side from the eastbound lanes. Witnesses reported the sprinklers were watering the plants, and as the water froze, it caused the multi-car collision around the 7am today.”

No life-threatening injuries were reported, and authorities are not confirming that black ice was responsible for the collision.

photo credit: Craig Cannon – not for redistribution

1 SamRox January 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I am glad to hear there were no life-threatening injuries! That is my way to work and thank god my preschool is closed today so I wasn’t on my way to work.

2 mama January 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Oh my goodness hope everyone is ok

3 Mr. Bassman January 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM

If this global warming keeps up we’re going to freeze to death!

4 Rebel January 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Why would the City of Concord/Walnut Creek be watering the plants during the winter, especially in icy conditions?!?

I think the City should pay for all of the damages!

5 Shuley January 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Drove right by there minutes before this. I’m surprised it was caused by ice as it was really didn’t seem that cold this morning..

@ Bassman – wake the F up..
2012 Is The Hottest, Most Extreme Year In U.S. History

6 Bimbo Slice January 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Black ice and speeding inattentive drivers with no respect for the road.

If you’ve driven on treat, then you know I’m right.

7 momo January 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@4
I was thinking g the same thing. I drive down treat everyday. Even when it is raining the sprinklers are going. What a waste. I drove down in the early morning once and one of the sprinklers was broken and water was pouring out of it. I called the city and told them. When I drove back down later in the afternoon it still wasn’t fixed. All day long water was pouring down the street. The cities don’t care how they waste our tax dollars.

8 livininconcord January 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Years ago my ex was trying to be nice and 2 hours before I left with the kids he would “wash down” my windshield with water… Well in the ensuing 2 hours it would freeze hard, and then it was really an ITCH to get off, and the driveway was slippery than hell. I kept telling him NOT to help out, but he never listened… wonder why he’s an ex? Also, the hose was then full of ice and wouldn’t work a 2nd time. I ended up buying de icer at Kragens/OReillys.

9 I thought black ice was ice that was invisible? January 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The photos look like regular ice to me…no invisible…?

10 R January 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It’s the cities fault.

11 Screwy Louie January 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Lots of tall trees right there on Treat so the Sun can’t hit the roadway+
“S” curve coming up to Cherry Ln. = SUV’s on thier sides.

12 Black Ice January 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Black ice is invisible.

13 A Few Things January 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

The water should not be on. That is negligence. The City and/or landscape maintenance contractor should be legally accountable IF it is determined ice played any role in the accident.

Looks like photos were taken before sun rose high enough to melt the ice.

Shuley #5 – The US is only 237 years old, and climate information has only been measured and recorded for a fraction of that. Our data is only a small spec in the history of the earth. There is a school of thought that the earth temperature is rising now SHORT TERM, but in the LONG TERM we are NOW heading for another ice age (a current small upward heat trend in an otherwise longer downward trend).

14 Like Reagan Said January 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Lemme guess about two blocks West of Basncroft tall redwoods shading the roadway. If sprinklers were on city may get phone calls from insurance companies.
“The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would steal them away.”
Ronald Reagan

15 Concordian January 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Whoa, hold the phones… Of course it was all the fault of black and ice and Concord because everyone in Concord drives safe and responsibly. I mean, we only had 2 fatalities and a dozen or so road accidents on Treat Blvd last year. That’s a great statistic right?

Idiots. It was the drivers fault and nobody else. Did all the other drivers around him/her have an accident too? No? Just the one… and it’s supposed to be the city’s fault, or mother natures? Dont think so.

16 Bha.. January 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Hahahaha

17 Anon2you January 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Black Ice prefers to be called Non-White Ice now please…

18 kiarfy January 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@Anon2you
you are just hilarious sometimes. just leave it up to the current administration and they can call it whatever comes to mind first. lol

19 A Few Things January 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

@Concordian #15

If water is applied to the roadway in a negligent manner and is a contributing factor in an accident, a judge can award a percentage of damages to the plaintiff. Idiot.

20 countrywood sam January 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM

slow down on treat everybody……. it’s a bad street with worse luck.

21 Lolly Pop January 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I drove by this RIGHT after it happened… Where this happened the eastbound lanes were completely covered in ice, not patches of ice. from the sprinkles being on. The road has a slight curve in it right there.., going from completely drive pavement to icy pavement and a slight curve could have caused the safest of driver to lose control…. I am glad that nobody was killed.

22 Anon January 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

“Shuley”

French for “I have to hike up my underwear.”

23 Pacheco Resident January 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

If people would also SLOW down this kind of accident can be avoided. The cars that drive that stretch of road in the morning are driving way too fast. I mean come on the posted speed limit there is 35 but I bet you people are doing 45+…..

24 Kalyn January 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I drove by there, heading west, at approximately 6:00-6:05 am, on my way to work. I noted and thought it was strange that not only were the sprinklers on, but that a lot of the water was being directed onto the roadway. The water was starting to puddle onto the left hand lane. I had no problem getting through.

Of note, it was definitely cold at the time as the “icy roads” light was lit on my dashboard.

25 Kalyn January 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Addendum to my comment above. While driving home tonight, heading east on Treat, at approximately 4:10 pm, noted that their were “Icy” road signs on the side of the road. Those signs were not there this morning, when driving west on Treat at 6:00 am.

26 A Few Things January 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@Kalyn #25

Better to put up a sign than correct the problem…..

An admission of a mistake??

27 Pegasus January 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Ooooohhhh – BLACK ICE ….. I thought it was black guys.

28 Atticus Thraxx January 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Pegasus your a silly, silly person. I like that about you.

29 Randy of the Redwoods January 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It has not rained for 3 weeks, and that East wind and Frost are drying out the plants, they are living creatures too Ya know, the city should have just announced a road closure during the time of the irrigated Life-Giving Waters.

30 J January 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I drove down Treat this morning at 7:30 and it was 34 degrees. Cold enough conditions for black ice. This looked like it could have been a lot worse. Glad no one was badly hurt.

31 Pegasus January 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Aww shucks, thanks buddy?

32 Gunja Din January 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I think that the county is responsible for those sprinklers…so sue the county for creating a dangerous condition on the road.

33 Bronco Bama January 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It’s Bush’s fault.

34 Brenda Clark January 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

“Toonces, look out!”

35 Sunfire January 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Bring it root!

36 Don't Censor Me Bro January 22, 2013 at 3:44 AM

@AFT #19 – Who told you the water had to be “applied” in a “negligent manner?”

37 A Few Things January 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

@Randy #29

Some plants do need a minimal amount of water this time of year ( it acts sort of like antifreeze, helping them get through the cold snaps). That water should be set to come on during the day when the plants are actively transpiring. That would also eliminate the problem of creating ice on the roadway.

38 Concordian January 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

@19… youre one of those sue happy morons who never got a chance to sue anybody for something as stupid as what you are suggesting…

the lawyers have turned this country upside down and it’s folks who would blame others for their own lack of skill/understanding/caring…

39 A Few Things January 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

@Concordian #20

I’ve never had to sue anybody, but negligence is negligence. There are tons of BS lawsuits in our country. I agree with you. Hopefully you agree that some lawsuits have merit?

40 Scoob January 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I have often wondered why the city doesn’t adjust the sprinklers at that location so they don’t soak all the lanes for a hundred feet or more. Any morning the sprinklers come on all three lanes are wet from the bridge on past Alderwood. I have been thinking its rather wasteful, but never considered it would cause a wreck. The city needs to adjust the sprinklers there for sure.