Brenden Mann Foundation Grant Funds Downtown Concord Police Patrol Program

January 20, 2013 · 16 comments

The Concord Police Department has been awarded a $69,000 grant by the Brenden Mann Foundation to fund downtown patrol officers for the 2013 calendar year. In addition to ensuring public safety, the officers will collaborate with business owners, downtown stakeholders, and other City departments to resolve quality of life issues. The officers will also work with local homeless outreach organizations to offer shelter and services to the homeless, and lessen their impact on local businesses.

“We are pleased to be partnering with the Concord Police Department on this important downtown development effort,” commented Foundation President Johnny Brenden.

The grant begins on February 1 and concludes December 28, 2013, funding bicycle and foot patrols on Friday and Saturday evenings. Officers will be performing proactive problem solving in the immediate downtown area, from the Terminal Shopping Center to the Park and Shop Center. These officers will supplement patrols assigned to weekday events in the downtown Concord area.

The grant funding follows a pilot grant awarded by the Brenden Mann Foundation to the Concord Police Department in 2012 that provided for weekend bicycle patrols in the later portion of the year. The pilot program had considerable impact on the downtown and contributed greatly to the safety and quality of the area.

1 J. January 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Good on Johnny.

2 Mike troll January 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

so a private organization is funding the Concord police to harass the homeless more then they already do or am i reading this wrong?

3 Antler January 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Most sincere thanks to the Brenden family!

4 Kimmy January 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

it’d be nice to go to downtown Concord without being harassed by the transients :/

5 bluebird January 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

@ Mike troll: It is what the other business owners should do: get together and insist the CPD harass the homeless more than they are already doing. These vagrants are chasing away paying customers. I refuse to patronize a business that cowtows to the beggars and drunks passed out near and in front of their store fronts.

I realize I can say no and I do to the beggars and drunks/drug addicts. But why should I have to put up with it every time I go to the store?

6 DH January 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I can’t remember the last time I have visited the downtown Todos Santos area. Getting panhandled, harassed and seeing brutal bloody bum fights on my last 2 visits with police nowhere in site. This may make it safe to visit and shop there again. Thanks Brenden family.

7 sam January 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

The health and prosperity, of any city, can only be assured, first and foremost, by an ever strong and vital police department; no matter where you live in this world, the criminal element of society, is always lurking, waiting for any opportunity, just as any malignant cancer, to infiltrate its lethal destruction; the health and prosperity, of any city, can only be safeguarded, first and foremost, by an ever strong and vital police department; to the Brenden Foundation and all of those, who assist in supporting our, great city of Concord, thank you.

8 Anon January 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I overheard some cops in Antioch taking about how bad Concord PD has become. I think there are a lot of good officers but there is some major house cleaning that needs to happen at the top to make them a better PD. I wish the City could do something but unfortunately the union is strong than the City so we will suffer for some time. As to the down town even homeless have rights if we don’t provide them with mental help support having the cops push them down a block or 2 won’t help. The Mexicans are allowed to hang out all day at Home Depot asking for money lets go after them too.

9 Fewer Crimes in Concord Than Antioch January 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM

The crime rate speaks for itself–there are fewer crimes in Concord than in Antioch. Let the gossip begin.

10 ChampagneKitty January 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Brenden.

11 Anon January 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Thank you Johnny Brenden. I have heard so many people say over the last year that they won’t go to downtown Concord anymore cause they don’t feel safe. This saddens me. I want to live in a town we can all be proud of!

12 Elwood January 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

(sarcasm alert)

The cops are just doing it for the money!

(end sarcasm)

13 Mr. John January 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

This family has been very generous to residents of Concord. We owe them our thanks for this, and many other things.

When it comes to handling crime and homelessness we need to be much more aggressive than we are as a society. The people breaking laws may be doing so out of necessity or a lack of options, but the answer is not to allow them to endanger others. It is to help them get out of the tough situation, not to make the tough situation a little more comfortable to endure.

I encourage everyone to volunteer 50 hours this year to help the police, a charity or a school – that is like giving up 1 hour of TV a week. If we all did it, Concord would rapidly turn from a place on the downward spiral to a community on the rise.

14 chubby January 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I said thank you Mr. Mann last year and I say thank you again. I spend money at his theater and at many surrounding restaurants. He has made a pile of money from his businesses. I think it makes perfect sense that he would throw a wad of cash to the cops to help protect his business, employees, customers, and the larger downtown community.

15 ANON January 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Easy Overtime….

16 Cruella January 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Great business decision and nice thing to do for the community in general. Thank you and hat’s off! ;)