Two Arrested for DUI During Checkpoint in the City of Martinez

January 19, 2013 22:19 pm · 39 comments

The Martinez Police Department conducted a DUI/Drivers License checkpoint on January 18th, in the 3700 block of Alhambra Avenue between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Checkpoints are placed in locations that have the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence and provide the greatest safety for officers and the public.

This DUI/Drivers License checkpoint lowers DUI deaths and injuries. A major component of these checkpoints is the deterrent effects it has on those who might drive drunk or drug impaired, while bringing about more awareness and encouraging everyone to use sober designated drivers.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent.

Checkpoint Results:

• 556 Vehicles Screened
  • 2 DUI-Alcohol suspects arrested
  • 8 Drivers cited for operating a vehicle unlicensed or while suspended/revoked
  • 1 Driver arrested on other Criminal Charges
  • 9 Citations issued

Martinez PD will be conducting another DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint in the coming months in order to support our ongoing commitment to lowering deaths and injuries upon our streets and highways.

The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1!

{ 39 comments }

1 McTeezy January 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

A DUI in MARTINEZ?!?! No way!!!

2 Tree Farm January 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Martinez PD gets a lot of DUI’s. The checkpoints there almost always yield drunk drivers.

3 David January 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM

556 people had their rights violated. its a dui “license” check point now. next its going to be an identification check point. then they will need to see your traveling papers. when does it end? WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

4 Really January 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I went through this check point last night. The person in the car in front of me was detained. However it took 5 Martinez Police officers to try and start this persons car and move it! I was held up at least 15 minutes, and they eventually went to the driver and had to ask that person how to start the car!

5 Messed up January 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

If you knew how many people drive under the influence of something you would never get in your car again!.
Who isn’t on some kind of meds these days???????

6 ChampagneKitty January 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM

to David #3: Well, aren’t we being overdramatic?

7 Peter January 20, 2013 at 4:29 AM

@david 556 people voluntarily get there privileged check you mean. Illegals another issue that’d irrelevent to DUI checks

8 Don't Censor Me Bro January 20, 2013 at 5:09 AM

@David – get over it

9 Parsnip January 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

@Really #5 — Poor you. Being held up for 15 whole minutes! Next time you might be one of those held up forever as they peel you out of some drunk’s windshield.

10 nonewtaxesinwc January 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM

@ #3 David, if it gets dipshit drunk drivers off the streets I do not consider it to be a violation. Pull your head out of your Guns and Ammo magazine long enough to think before you write.

11 Parsnip January 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

@David #3 — Chill out, bro. Have a drink.

12 Schmee January 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Should say bothered 536 people unnecessarily

13 Teacher wanabe January 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

@ #3 David. Paranoid much, yes?

14 Jerk January 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Uh, last I checked the bars close at 2am. And yes, TRAVELING is my god given right so STFU with that “it’s a priviledge” BS.

15 Always Right January 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It’s a shame they did not tow the unlicensed and suspended drivers’ cars.

. A citation means nothing to these scofflaws.

16 Really January 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@Parsnips, I’m perfectly aware of drivers who drive under the influence. However, what I was stating was it took FIVE officers to try and start the car! That to me is ridiculous, and it did inconveince me. So go polish your gun, or write a ticket!

17 Parsnip January 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

@Jerk #13 — The bars close at 2am??? You mean drunks evaporate into thin air?

Travel by foot, jerk.

18 Bimbo Slice January 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

2 less idiots driving drunk who could have killed me or you… good work police!

19 Elwood January 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM

What, no fool posting that the cops are just doing it for the money?

Always good to hear from the “my rights are being violated” lunatics though.

20 .@ Jerk January 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Travel all you want but driving a motor vehicle is privilege.

PS: Your “God given rights”, are not absolute. You cannot yell fire in a crowded movie theater – 1st Amendment; you may not possess a firearm if you are a convicted felon or convicted misdemeanor batterer – 2nd Amendment; in California you may not vote while in prison – although voting is not explicitly stated as a right in the U.S. Constitution it is implied by the 15th, 17th and 19th Amendments; your vehicle my be searched without a warrant if based on probable cause (mobility exception to the 4th Amendment), your home my be searched without a warrant – “Hot pursuit” doctrine or you may not commit a crime in public and flee to a private location to prevent prosecution – 4th Amendment; you may be tried in both Federal and State courts for the same crime (dual sovereignty) – 5th Amendment , you may not operate a motor vehicle if your driver license is suspended or revoked or unlicensed etc etc etc.

21 Parsnip January 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM

@Really #16 — (Your) Life sucks when those of others are saved. Instead of recognizing the fact that two fools were taken off the road, you sit there and tsk-tsk-tsk what it took to get one car out of the way. All that matters is you, Really?

A moment of silence for Really.

22 TinFoiler January 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I D I O C R A C Y is alive and well Here with all you tools begging for your freedoms to be trampled. Post up your address so the Police can show up and search your home to verify that you have nothing to hide.

23 .@ TinFoiler January 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled, either by a power within them, or by a power without them; either by the Word of God, or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible, or by the bayonet.- Robert Charles Winthrop 1852

If people had self-control and did the right thing there would be no need for enumerated rights, or laws or law enforcement.

24 Really January 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

@Parsnips, I truely hope you are not a law enforcement officer because you don’t get it. However, by your “simple” response, odds are you probably are one of the people I pay to protect and serve. So it’s probable that you too could not have started that car either.

25 J. January 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Law Enforcement is to promote general Social Order. It’s not able to be perfect, only general.

26 @ Really January 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So how did “stating” there “inconveince” you? Did not moving the car fastest enough to suit you somehow prevent you from walking away or were you just mesmerized by the pretty flashing lights?

27 Elwood January 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

@ tin foiler #22

Warning warning danger danger!

Your helmet has sprung a leak!

28 Really January 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

@26 Yes, your a cop just proved it by your last sarcastic post. I’m your boss, I pay your salary just remember that next time you put that badge on.

29 J.M. January 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Really!!!!!!! @really #28. You don’t pay much of a single person’s salary. Just because you pay taxes towards his/her salary, doesn’t make you their boss. Unless me patronizing to where you work (if you are telling the truth about having a job that makes you enough money to have to pay taxes), makes me your boss. The police don’t answer to you. Their boss may have to answer to the collective tax-paying community, but not a single individual. Maybe you should go back to the school that your taxes also go toward, and learn some economics.

30 @ Really January 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Guess what Really, my job isn’t tax free. I pay my salary too so you remember that the next time you see me.

31 Parsnip January 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

@26 — LOL. :) That’s why pretty little mobiles, some even with music, are hung over babies’ cribs. I think Really REALLY recognized that and didn’t feel too cool.

32 Safety Second January 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

@David #3
Regrettably, most of our fellow Americans don’t get it. You are very wise, as was Benjamin Franklin who asserted: “They who can give up essential liberty (i.e. 4th Amendment) to obtain a little temporary safety (i.e. 2 arrests vs. 500+ unlawful detentions) deserves neither liberty nor safety.”

33 Cruella January 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Whatever happened to impounding the vehicles driven by those without a valid license. Cited? Really?

34 Parsnip January 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM

@Safety Second #32 — Yeah, that’s probably what the Aurora, CO movie-goers were thinking when crazy-eyed James Holmes interrupted “The Dark Knight Rises” by making them squat under theater chairs as best they could … They had to give up “Essential Liberty” (and their popcorn) JUST for that.

35 WC44 January 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM

What a waste of money.

36 Parsnip January 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM

@#35 — Well, silly … Give up the booze and driving.

37 Really January 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

@30 you don’t even post a name, but not to worry I’ll remember who the “tough” guy is behind the badge. The one that likes to throw his badge around and everyone is supposed to be scared, because he’s a cop. Well, I doubt I’ll be seeing you because I don’t break the law. Last ticket I got was in the early 80′s.
@29 Yes, I’ve worked close to 50 years probably longer than you’ve been alive.

38 Kirkwood January 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Officers couldn’t get the car started? Sounds like a Keystone Cops routine. Must have been hilarious! Didn’t they know newer cars use transponder keys? High end models often don’t need an ignitian key. The transponder is carried in the driver’s pocket, he touches the door handle and the door unlocks, once inside, he touches a button and the car starts.

39 @ Really January 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

So if I used a pseudonym you’d take my comments more seriously? LMFAO

I find it odd that I’m the keyboard commando when all I simply did was to remind you that you are not unique. You were the one who told me that you paid my salary, were my boss and I should remember every time I went to work did you not? So who playing the tough guy here?

I think you might want to look up the term “psychological projection”.