12-year-old Kids Going Door-to-Door in Concord at 8:30 in the Evening

January 19, 2013 11:00 am · 37 comments

This is odd, has anybody seen these kids?

Here’s an email from an anonymous Claycordian….

We just had two young kids (my husband guessed about 12 or so years old) soliciting door to door in our neighborhood. My husband asked what he was doing out since its so cold, he said it was his job and his boss drops them off. Sounded really strange, unfortunately I was upstairs at the time so I didn’t get all the details but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen latley? We live over in the Bishop Estates area.

This email was sent to news@claycord.com last night at 8:30pm, so it was late, cold, and not a good time for 12-year-olds to be out.

{ 37 comments }

1 Kirkwood January 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Kids on soccer teams are selling chocolate bars right now.

2 J. January 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Twelve year olds have no sense of time or temperature. Enough said.

3 Dorothy January 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This one might be one of those abuse types where an adult forces the kids to “sell” whatever door to door. Young kids who are being dropped off by a “boss” are being used and maybe abused as well. This should be reported to the police.

Kids that are trying to sell stuff for local schools or sports are usually not out after dark, are often set up in front of stores or malls, or neaighborhood kids that you recognize or know.

I hope if they come to someone else’s door that they will try to get as much info they can including who the adult with them is and car info if possible.

4 Con-cord January 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

They’re casing houses!

5 CVHS Class of '89 January 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thugs startin’ out young nowadays!!

6 Claycord Gun Nut January 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I woulda answered the door with my AR-15 loaded with hollow point bullets. I’m sure they were actually illegal aliens trying to rob me and kill my whole family..

7 gonzo January 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Their parents should be ashamed.

8 ed January 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

j, that is so true about kids not knowing its cold. i dont think my daughter realized it got cold until about 16. weirdest thing. she always ran hot and there’d be an argument about wearing a sweater/jacket. i let it go when i friend said of another girl w/ this not cold thing, ‘she’s not mentallly handicapped, she’ll know when she’s cold’.

9 Elwood January 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Were the kids black?

There’s an outfit in Richmond that brings in kids to solicit door to door.

When I asked one of them for his PH permit he said “The man got it”.

10 Antler January 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

What do they SAY they are selling? (just curious……not planning to open the door)

11 @ed January 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

” A sweater is something your mother wants you to put on when she’s cold.”

It was a sign in my kid’s preschool.

12 Julie January 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

good grief, use your phone, grab some video and send it to the PO-lice….those pimps start them out young—selling, casing houses, etc. I won’t open my front door to anyone I don’t know, don’t care how old/young they are. the people who do? deserve what they get.

13 anonanonagain January 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

This doesn’t sound right at all. You should have called the police about this. You would forever regret not doing anything to help these children if something awful was going on. So many people are inactive nowadays when it comes to protecting children. Why?? It’s none of my business?? Who are looking out for those that are being taken advantage of on a daily basis, certainly not the abuser. If you suspect something is not right, DO something about it instead of going back to your comfy chair and your nighttime drama….

14 Beaver January 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I live in Springwood in Concord. Some black kid, around 12 knocked on my door around 730 selling something on Wednesday night. I pointed to my No Solicitors and closed the door on him. Amazing the amount of people who choose to ignore that sign.

15 Anon January 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

If people keep giving them money they’ll keeping coming back. Nuff said?

16 Teacher Wannabe January 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

@kirkwood. Maybe, but not that late at night and they would have said “coach”, not “boss”.

17 B January 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We had a black guy in a suit knock on our door at 9:00ish. My daughter did not answer the door. I’m in the Silverwood School area.

18 kiarfy January 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I see those kids out there all the time–selling candy and pies. They go from door to door, car to car, bike to bike selling their wares…and there are so many buyers! Then the kids go off shopping. lol, This does make businesses profitable about this time of the year. Glad I don’t have my kids doing that–we just watch.

19 SK January 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

@Beaver, My guess is that there are a lot of people who don’t even know what a “Solicitor” is, and therefore, your sign means nothing to them.

20 @claycord gun nut January 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Then you’ll be arrested for being stupid. That’s why other gun and rifle owners are being hated on because of stupid comments like yours. I bet you don’t act that way in front of any other gun/rifle owners or you wouldn’t be existing right now.

21 Ms. Mom January 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM

These are not the Soccer teams selling. They are youth who are being dropped off from a white van. and yes not from area. They come to Concord often and way too late for anyone uner 18. I feel bad for these boys and girls..not sure if they are Foster kids or involved in some youth group. They usually are wearing a Football jersey.

22 Achtnon January 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Isn’t this Human Trafficking awareness month?

23 Julio-Antioch January 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We get those kids in Antioch too. A van dumps them off they solicit for fund for a trip or other thing. Usually they have a bogus “fundraising” ID of some sort. Call the police folks.

24 chs student January 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My brother actually had that type of job at 15. Dont know if they have an age requirement but I think thats way too dangerous. He (my brother) had to walk around with a pocket knife to protect himself. Not a good job for anyone

25 Mimi (original) January 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I saw that white passenger van on the outskirts of the shopping center at ygnacio and Clayton rds. Can never remember the name. It was parked by the jamba juice and there were 2 black adults and 2 black teens (men). Michigan license plates. I knew I should have called the cops! If I see them again, I will.

26 Shulla January 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I have TWO no soliciting signs. Before I stopped answering the door several years ago, I wrote the definition of solicit on a 3 x 5 card and kept it by the front door. Pity the idiot that rang my doorbell. He got an earful…plus educated at the same time. Never got a second visit. Recently approached in my own driveway when saying goodbye to a departing guest by a very aggressive pair of nicely dressed black men. Wouldn’t take no for an answer and I ended up demanding they get off by private property. Once inside my home, I called the police and a unit was on my street within 4 minutes. He called them over to his patrol car and spoke with them for awhile. They must have had necessary permits as they continued door to door. I’m sure they were told to dial-it-back a little.

27 Beaver January 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I had some J.w.’s also knock on my door last summer. The women claimed she wasn’t selling anything. I disagreed and shut the door in her face. Buh bye.

28 Harvey Tilkin January 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

If it is after dark, don’t expect me to answer the door

29 Palermo January 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Maybe they were British and thought you meant no attorneys …

Definitely something bad going on if they are regularly going around after dark in my opinion. I would try and get the license plate next time.

30 debdvo January 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Starts w/ a nice concerned post that this person is worried that these children perhaps are being exploited and illegally employed…then it turns to the jab at illegals, a few insulting remarks at african american kids speech and intelligence and of course the -greet them w/ a gun…it just makes me cringe when reading the comments (and this is one of the more tame threads).

31 Kirkwood January 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It was about 8:15 pm in a pizza parlor and the kid was the son of an employee.

I’m shocked at the number of paranoid and suspicious people on this blog.

32 RIZZO January 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@30 debdvo……..
Thank you, because I couldn’t have said it any better. I swear I lose a few brain cells every time I start reading comments on these posts. Bashing cities, race, gun, anti gun, religion, grammar, as if I needed someone to point out my punctuation or misspelled words in the middle of a comment section. Seriously thanks. The Mayor must feel so important posting news to people with such education and intellect. I guess it’s my bad for reading them in the first place. Silly me thought I could learn more about the actual post.
So without further ado, please let the bashing @Rizzo begin!

33 Mutts January 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

This is 2013, these people aren’t paranoid or suspicious, they are being REALISTIC & CAUSIOUS. That’s just how it is. Political correctness doesn’t matter.

34 Mutts January 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Oops, that’s causcious

35 CMT January 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

@B, I am also in the Silverwood area and someone knocked on our door and rang the bell tonight around 8:30pm. I’m home with kids and did not answer, when I looked out I did not see anyone, but maybe 10 minutes later I saw a black guy walking by himself West on Concord Blvd. Our neighbor across from us also had that same guy walk up to them and ask ” are your parents home and can I have a cigarette” ….thats very strange especially this late at night. I do have my 5in hunting knife ready along with my pepper spray.

36 @Mutts January 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

You meant … that’s CAUTIOUS!

37 doneit January 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

they are just working, i have had that job when i was younger as well. the boss does have the permit so that they are able to work in certain areas. i have also had cops called on me, guns/knifes pulled out on me, and also been recorded. yet i have not got in trouble and the police saw our permits and let us go.