The Real Housewife of Claycord – Homeless in the Elevator, School Parking + More

January 17, 2013 14:17 pm · 55 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

Every single day (M-F), I drop off & pick up my children from school, and every single day (M-F), I have to deal with the idiotic parents who think it’s ok to disobey every traffic law imaginable.

There are parents blocking driveways, parking in red zones, handicapped spots, teachers spots and even in crosswalks, yes, crosswalks! They double-park, leave their vehicles in bus zones, and park in front of fire hydrants, and if you confront them about it, they get angry and say “I’m only parking there for a minute”. As we all know, they’re not only parking there for “a minute”, and they seem to think the rules of the World don’t apply to them.

If you’re one of these parents, please don’t be pathetic and just obey the rules. The laws are there for the safety of our children, so stop being selfish!

Do you ever experience this when you pick-up or drop-off your children at school? If so, tell us about it!

Moving on….

A few things I saw (and heard) around Claycord this week:

• I saw a motorcyclist split lanes this week and take out a side mirror on a BMW. He didn’t seem to be injured, but the BMW sure did take a hit.
  • I hear Nordstrom Rack will open soon in Pleasant Hill – I CAN’T WAIT!!
  • So sad to see El Torito go. I have very good memories of that place in the past. It’s such a beautiful building, I wish there was a way to keep it. I guess it’s just another piece of Claycord history that will soon be history. (sad face).
  • A homeless man was passed out in the glass elevator at the Sunvalley Mall this week. Although I didn’t witness it myself, I heard he reeked of alcohol, and made at least 20 trips up and down before he was asked to leave. (another sad face). I feel bad for the homeless, a lot of them don’t know how to fix what’s wrong, and many of them think alcohol is the answer, when it’s not.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• Instead of just one tip this week, I’m sending you to a website that has a lot of great tips, with pictures! Check it out by clicking HERE.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2:17pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s a Boston Cream Pie. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!

Love you all.

The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Horse'n Around January 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Oh, the parents dropping off there little darlings. My kids years ago went to Wren Ave. Teachers are great, but the parents sucked! I have witnessed the same thing time and time again. I would love to hear from a parent that do this and have them explain it to us all why they feel they have the right to break the rules. Now I have them in private school. Some parents still do this but not nearlly as much as at Wren Ave.

2 anonmomm January 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yesterday I had to leave at the same time CV was letting out. Someone is not only blocking half my driveway with his car the other half of his car is blocking a fire hydrant. Can’t tell you how many times I have had to tell people to move their cars.

3 Really?! January 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

“I feel bad for the homeless, a lot of them don’t know how to fix what’s wrong, and many of them think alcohol is the answer, when it’s not.”

Really?! I never knew! I do know, however, that that’s a run-on sentence.

4 biggus thinkus January 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

sounds like you drop off your kids at the same school as me…

double parked, unattended vehicles in the crosswalk or in the bus zone

i personally love it when people decide to speed/swerve around the double parked cars in the school zone. i got a birdie because Mr Champ in his suburban knew it was ok to drive on the left side of the street and speed across the crosswalk (with kids present).

[shakes head] if you’re that late…. leave 5min earlier…

5 WCMom January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hate, hate, hate the dumbass parents at drop-off/pick-up. Ack!

6 Randome Task January 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

1st off only when you send letter to grandma or are trying to get into a college does anyone worry about a run-on sentence …..now for the rest ….yes those people parking where ever are also the ones who deem it their right to park where ever they like when ever. Be it at a store where they park inthe handicap and or designated walkways …..or the curb next to a real parking space and or median …this is at all stores ….see it all the time same with the people who pull into a spot half sideways and go about their business ..accept when the person in the car next to em tries to get out they find 6 foot of the back of the other persons truck blocking them on one side …sure a good driver can pull off the manuver to get out but then who else can park there ….no one …..these people i refer to as the owners …who think they are the owners and the rules do not apply to them ……now my opinion and knowledge of who does it the most will be my cross to burnden …yet it is nice to see others vent over these no class citizens ( lol ) who believe their #2 dont stink ……..as are the people who see you coming and pull out into your lane and refuse to speed up even though the other 2 lanes are open ……wich basically says to you oh you need to brake for me dude ……..or the tools who pull in wide to a driveway at speed and then flip you the bird because you are in their way and wont move ……the DMV is a joke ..they give licenses to anyone who can pay for registration ……so much so that if you ask most they think it is a right to drive a car …that everyone is allowed and that trafffic laws are only there if you get caught …….if anyone running for any office will fix the driveing test and get all these nardos off the streets i will vote for em. I mean how does someone get a driver license without knowing how to merge on a freeway ……..or to be aware of their surroundings and other vehicles as to moveing up a couple of inches so they can make their turn signal or when amkeing a right turn pull to the right to make it and not slam on the brakes and slowly make the turn when there is an obvious shoulder to do so ……..or …well the list is so huge it makes me think that if the DMV was fixed that half of the thugs would not be able to drive …grey hairs would not be driveing around with the blinker on all day ….or people texting and smokeing at the same time would be off the streets ….and make a safer and happier roadway and the roads would last longer with less traffic …….hmmm what was the subject of this again

7 Randome Task January 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

oh yeah ….homeless …dude not again ….bums are not homeless they are bums who want to drink and lay around and mess with the people that they dispise ….they want to do what ever they want when they want and dont care if you like it or not …..jokes on them ….well they joke …the thing …..and ….ugh so tired of bums and haveing to make sure that peeps understand the difference …….yet most want gov to handle em and give em treatment ….uhhh dudes they refuse to go and will not stop boozeing to get help so stop justifying them by calling them homeless and cal em the bums they are and send em packing back to bezerkley where they can occupy and litter and make potty where ever they like …as long as they dont drink coffee…….lol

8 Thanks for the laugh January 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I’ve experienced similar poor parental behavior at Silverwood and Pine Hollow. Whats even more insane are the parents who show up 30+ minutes early to pick up their kid. If little Susie or Billy cant wait a few minutes or walk alittle farther to get picked up, is the world going to end? By Silverwood, they just block the entire street so no traffic can get by.

If Concord PD wanted to fill the city coffers, they could write 30-40 tickets in the morning at drop off and another 30-40 in the afternoons – every day at all the schools. Its more effective and faster than raising our taxes and doesnt take a 2/3 approval vote!

9 Don't Censor Me Bro January 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’ll never forget a memo written by a manager in which a single sentence contained 87 words….

10 Screwy Louie January 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

The amount of “Cranial Rectosis” around schools just blows my mind.
Remember, people drive like they are in real life.

11 skippy January 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Here’s a thought- let your kids walk or ride their bikes to school like we did. If you’re worried about safety, then have them go in groups. It’s time parents let their kids learn a little independence and save some gas along the way.

12 anonanonagain January 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

In our ever more selfish and unthinking world, we see more parents that believe that their $%@# doesn’t stink and that the rules don’t apply to them. I’m not perfect by all means, but I respect the rules of our school and the way the principal has designated the proper way to drop off and pick up our kids. So many parents rush in the lot as if they were merging on to the 24. Fast and furious.The world truly revolves around them. They park in the teacher’s parking spaces when told not to. They park in the red zone in hopes that someone will move while blocking the flow of traffic on the street. The frustration at seeing little Billy being made to navigate through endless moving cars and doors ajar because the parent didn’t want to wait their turn in the traffic line. All at the expense of their child’s potential well being. The rude grandmother who parked in a no parking zone and when told to move, she threatened to mow down the volunteer who was trying to direct the flow of traffic. Yes, I witnessed this woman’s insanity while she raged as her grandchild watched from the back seat. And then we kvetch about how our children are turning out to be such self centered, entitled brats!! .

13 missime January 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I wonder how the traffic/parking around the Safeway gas station will be when Nordstrom Rack opens. Many times when I go to get gas the line is all the way up the nearest parking row and around into the entry road to the complex. Basically takes out a whole row of parking for the Rack. In addition, those who want to go to Safeway or beyond have to turn right on the far side of the stopped “gas traffic” and then are over the yellow line heading towards Safeway. I can’t picture how Safeway will manage the gas lines during peak hours when the Rack is open. I know one thing – don’t park in that first row of parking stalls – it’ll be difficult to back out with the gas lines (which are sometimes double lines all the way up).

14 Elwood January 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

“As we all know, they’re not only parking there for “a minute”, and they seem to think the rules of the World don’t apply to them.”

Call the popo.

In PH they show up promptly and write commendations.

15 Darwin January 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

#6 Random task….Well said

16 Seal January 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Frankly, I can’t wait for that rack to open; now that you mention it.

17 Seal January 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

nice clothes at a reasonable cost–how can you go wrong?

18 donald January 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

To Elwood – don’t think it’s called “commendations” because that would be rewarding someone.

19 anonymous here January 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

@#8- thanks for the laugh-
I am one of the parents that show up 30 minutes early to pick up my kids. This is th only time I can read a book uninterrupted. But I make sure not to bother anyone. :)

20 momo January 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I live right across the street from a private school

21 momo January 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

@1
I live right across the street from a private school and believe me the parents there are no different. Breaking the same rules constantly. If I got a penny for every time I have had to ask someone to move their car from blocking my driveway I would be a millionaire. The funny thing is they always say I am the one being rude or inconsiderate because I ask them to move

22 ctown January 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Do not feel sorry for our homeless. They are a bunch of POS meth heads and drunks that are too damn lazy to work and would rather beg and steal from the rest of us. I am sick of tired of them harassing people and dirtying up our beautiful city. I do understand that there might be 5% or so that are down on their luck but for the rest of them, i wish they would get on bart and go back to where they came from.

23 P-hill lovin January 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I am a special Ed teacher and I have worked at three mdusd campuses, and by far sequoia middle has the most inconsiderate parents picking up their kids. In fact one man almost hit my student who has autism, and the worst part about is is he started to scream at my student as he is loading into his bus. I walked up to his car and quietly might I add, ripped him a new asshole.
I highly respect the parents who do follow the rules of the road and do in fact keep our children safe.

Just a little story I thought I would add…

24 intrtiguing January 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

This is the worst column I have read on Claycord. The issues are real–but the way it is written is very rude, inconsiderate and demeaning. It is written as if a teenager was going through a temper tantrum. No, I have to take that back–because my son writes much better than this (English Awards from the Berkeley Unified School District). I can see why everyone wanted the “Real Housewife of Claycor” to leave in the first place.

25 anon January 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

my stress level must have dropped more than 50% after i was done w/ the drop off p/u lanes. I waited about 15 min after school let out to p/u. their was supervision. the kids waited in a line behind the fence w/ the guard.
At 2nd grade I decided to quit the lanes altogether and walk w/ my kid.

26 claycordiette January 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Intriguing…get over yourself. This is the Claycord blog. I’m tired of the criticism regarding punctuation, tenses, structure, etc. It’s sad if that’s all you have to offer.

27 Elwood January 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM

@ donald #18

It’s a joke, son!

28 intrtiguing January 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

you need to get over yourself dingy and a better education. the mayor keeps censoring my other comments.

29 intrtiguing January 18, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Claycordiette, I guess my words were too big for you to get lol…(pause, I think?)……yes, they were (how wide is your……..head). Punctuation I could give a crap about-it’s about what was said and how it was said; immature, childish and very-very sad. A grade schooler could write a better article–maybe you could take a few more classes at pine hollow (did you graduate?); or better yet, just get tips from one of the pine hollow kids.

30 Ms. Jean January 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I feel your pain, Housewife. I volunteered as a crossing guard for many years, before the district disallowed it. The words I heard coming out of these parents’ mouths would make a sailor blanch. I finally quit after one mother called me a Traffic Nazi – just for trying to keep children safe as they arrived and left school.

31 Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Any word on when Nordstrom Rack will be open for business? Ive been trying to find some update on line, but have had no luck.

32 momo January 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM

the people who write rude comments on claycord on a regular basis are probably the same parents being discussed by the housewife on her blog this week

33 DoReMi January 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

No comments about the motorcyclist taking out a mirror? Was it on purpose?

I have heard this is the way a motorcyclist can warn a violent driver to back off. Some automobile drivers are more than aggressive, they actively attempt to harm motorcycle drivers.

34 Palermo January 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Good point re parking and the future Nordstrom Rack. I believe that’s why CVS shut down, you couldn’t get through the gas station lines. Sounds like it will be a big mess when the store opens. Some of those “gas ambassadors” or whatever they are calling the people who direct the lines to the pumps seem to be slacking off whenever I am there, they start chatting up the women, go inside the snack store etc. and meanwhile the people are all unorganized in the lines. When they do what they should things move more smoothly, like they did when it first opened.

35 The Mamba January 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Whole Foods parking lot when Los Lomas gets out is the nexus of the universe. It’s like a comedic bad driving display and you are trapped.

36 PJ January 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

To “intriguing” (NOT)

I hope that you find my Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature and my Master’s Degree in Creative Writing have sufficiently prepared me to comment on your remarks to “claycordiette”. In short, YOU’RE AN ASS!!

37 pf January 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

This is an on going problem at most elementary schools. The police make their rounds and eventually the offending people will get a ticket! Having worked at an elementary school for years it will happen! Just be patient!

38 @PJ January 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………………………………………

39 Connie Dobbs January 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Claycordiette, I guess my words were too big for you to get [comma goes here] lol…(pause, [dash should go here instead of comma] I think?)……[three periods in ellipse, capitalize y] yes, they were ([capitalize first word of sentence] how wide is your……..head [question mark]). Punctuation I could give a crap about [semicolon instead of hyphen] -it’s about what was said and how it was said; [colon goes here, not semicolon, or period and, "It was..."] immature, childish and very [comma and space instead of hyphen] -very sad. A grade [hyphen goes here] schooler could write a better article– [word, space, dash, space, word] maybe you could take a few more classes at [capitalize proper name] pine hollow ([capitalize first letter of sentence] did you graduate?); [comma instead of semicolon] or better yet, just get tips from one of the [capitalize proper name] pine hollow kids.

40 tis what it tis January 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Claycordiette:
There will always be people (maybe you?) who pride themselves on their illiteracy. They feel it’s a form of rebellion and to actually write in standard, written, edited English would be “giving into the system”. What they fail to realize is that many people dismiss the opinions of those grammar-poor people. If they can’t express themselves in an educated manner, they must be ignorant (or stupid). Might not be “right” but that’s the society works. Sorry!

41 PJ January 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Love that Connie Dobbs! Thank you.

42 RD January 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

intrtiguing

Lighten up! Life is way toooooo short. If you don’t like the Real Housewife of Claycord’s column, then don’t read it.

Now go preheat your oven and Bake a Pie!

43 Connie Dobbs January 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I missed an ellipse, and acronyms ought to be capitalized, but I’m only working with a GED over here.

44 Schools could do better! January 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

How about the schools come up with a decent pick up/ drop off situation? They should have a designated circling area and every available teacher and administrator, including the principal, should be escorting kids to and from their parents vehicles. This would ease the minds of the parents that their child is being safely escorted to and fri crgrie car without having to park the car and walk them in themselves, plus this would speed up the drop off/ pick up line! I have seen this done at other schools and it works. Maybe the MDUSD should look into this since they are responsible for the safety of our children.

45 PJ January 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

tis what it tis

“Might not be “right” but that’s the society works.” Hmmm, you forgot a word.

46 Grammar police drama January 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Oh enough already. Some of us are way too busy to be sitting at a full keyboard to type so eloquently. Most of us are wanting to make a quick comment from a smartphone which has tiny buttons for letters that you press on glass to access. Therefore it is easy to make a mistake or have the phone auto correct your words to something else without you realizing until after you have hit the submit button. As long as the point has gotten across, who cares? We are commenters on a blog. We are not publishing books for purchase. Get a life!

47 Encyclopedia33 January 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I like the Real Housewife and I think Connie Dobbs is funny! Thanks to both of you. I am at home sick with the flu and I feel a bit better.

48 Connie Dobbs January 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

#47 Just getting over that myself. It’s miserable.
Doesn’t it make a person grim, though.

49 Tenarr January 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

there’s a homeless encampment between the Concord BART & the police station, in that empty field. WTH? They cleaned him/them out yesterday & he was back in 1 hour with a new tent, bed, clothes, etc…um….really? At least he’s safe & sound being 25 ft. from the police station.

50 Paul (formerly) in South Concord January 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Connie for the win!

Back in the South Concord days… we were next door to an elementary school. Morning and afternoon, there was no driving through that area. Street parking was/is allowed, on one side, while the other was marked “No Parking”. So, that didn’t help. Combine all the cars, that were for all intents and purposes, “gridlocked” with the folks on foot (especially those pushing strollers) and it was a complete, unmoving, mess. I would just do my best to avoid going through there, during the appropriate times, each day.

51 Cowellian January 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Real Housewife,
Were you aware that this is National Pie Day? I just found out, and it’s so exciting. In honor of this holiday, Loveless Cafe has posted some of their famous pie recipes:

52 Cowellian January 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Aren’t we overdue for a new Real Housewife column?

53 CLAYCORD.com January 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Cowellian, she’s in the hospital with the flu.

54 Anon2u January 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Another reason why I didn’t have children. The idiotic “have to drive my kid to school and speed because they will be late” idiocy.

55 Cowellian January 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That’s terrible! I hope she gets well soon.