January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month

January 15, 2013 · 18 comments

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month.

The following information is from Contra Costa County’s Zero Tolerance for Human Trafficking Coalition:

“This month, we rededicate ourselves to stopping one of the greatest human rights abuses of our time. Around the world, millions of men, women, and children are bought, sold, beaten, and abused, locked in compelled service and hidden in darkness. They toil in factories and fields; in brothels and sweatshops; at sea, abroad, and at home. They are the victims of human trafficking — a crime that amounts to modern-day slavery. As Americans, we have long rejected such cruelty. We have recognized it as a debasement of our common humanity and an affront to the principles we cherish. And for more than a century, we have made it a national mission to bring slavery and human trafficking to an end.” – President Barack Obama, as stated in his Presidential Proclamation.

Contra Costa County’s Zero Tolerance for Human Trafficking Coalition is working to raise awareness, build capacity among public and private agencies, reach out to victims who are being trafficked, and provide access to services.

On January 22nd the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors will proclaim January 2013 as Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month urging “all residents to actively participate in the efforts to both raise awareness of and end all forms of human trafficking in our communities.”

Join us on Tuesday, January 22nd at the West Contra Costa Family Justice Center, 1210 Hilltop Mall Road in Richmond at the lower level mall entrance between JC Penny and Wal-Mart across from the AC transit bus stop. We will be presenting a display at 11:30 am to raise awareness.

1 Bulldog January 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I’m freeing all my slaves. I hadn’t planned to do so, but now the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors has convinced me otherwise.

2 Howard K Mullins III January 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

This brings to mind a situation I ran across recently.

I was very ill and recovering after being in bed for days on end. A friend suggested a massage at a local parlor.

It’s an “eastern” style massage place. The cost was slightly less than other massages I have had. And the service was good.

But what bothered me, that upon check out, it became obvious that the masseuse (who spoke no English) was paid by gratuity only.

That really bothered me as while the service was great, the basic costs were comparable with other places, the managers of the parlor laid the guilt on the customer in order to pay the masseuse.

Now I wonder if the masseuse was in this country legally. If so, what kind of horrible contract does the masseuse have to work under those conditions? What kind of servitude is the masseuse involved in to work for gratuity alone?

Slavery is still common in this country. Now matter how enlightened people may believe they are, slavery is rampant. People here illegally are not only Mexican but Irish and Indian and French and Spanish and Asian and Persian and African and from everywhere else.

Slavery and human trafficking is illegal in this country, another “rule of law” overlooked by politicians.

Slavery and human trafficking is something the government should be involved in, but it does nothing.

3 Rich C. January 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Go here to read about one organization making a difference.

4 KJ January 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM
5 David January 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Chances are there are woman right on your street locked up in an apartment being forced to prostitute themselves. It’s all over craigslist, redbook, and other sites. If anyone really cared to look. But most would rather march, carry a sign, or whatever and not go out there and really help one of these victims. “oh it’s more complicated then that”.. Right..

6 J. January 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Howard, what’s the name of that Massage Parlor?

7 jtkatec January 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Interesting headline. I scanned the top line and thought to myself “I thought we didn’t have slavery anymore”. The prevention word kind of got buried.

8 Howard K Mullins III January 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

@ J

I’d rather not say publicly.

muddhen2002 at yahoo dot com

9 Intrigued January 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Behind this 100%.

10 Don't Censor Me Bro January 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

When will America’s text books clearly denote that Africans and Muslims enslaved people groups more than any others and America was on the forefront of combating slavery?

11 Connie Dobbs January 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

#10 The same day the media report that slavery still exists in Africa.

12 Pyrrhus January 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

@10 What does your comments have to do with the topic? We are talking about modern day slavery. In fact, there is more slavery taking place now than in any other time in history.

I was indulge to your point, I learned in my American History class in high school about slavery in Africa. I also learned about white indentured servants in America. Heck, in world history in my 6th grade class, we learned about Egyptian slavery. What are you trying to imply with your comments? That we Americans aren’t as bad as other countries when it comes to slavery? Why does that matter? Slavery is evil no matter where it. We live in America and our focus is on our own slavery problems. Also, France and Britain had abolished slavery in their countries before we did in America.

13 Blah blah blah January 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I was going to make a joke about housewives/stay at home moms and dads but now it seems wrong. Kids pick up or else your mom and dad arent slaves either.

14 Bubba January 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Wake up people!
We are all slaves to the government and Obama’s iron fist!

15 @ Howard K Mullins III January 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

So did you call the police?

16 Howard K Mullins III January 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

@ # 15

I notified authorities. The ball is in their court now.

17 Triple Canopy January 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Another lame-ass awareness month…. whoop-dee-doo.

18 Carol January 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It is important that people know that this is going on. I wish I knew a few years ago. Back then I worked in an office in a fairly large city. Once or twice a month, young Asian people – late teens early 20’s – would come in and try to sell us wind chimes or other small items. They would practically beg us to buy the stuff – although they spoke very little English. It always seemed a bit odd, but none of us suspected trafficking. We didnt know about it. One day a girl came in to sell us something – after she left I found that she had left a business card with a phone number on it at the reception table. About a half hour later , she ran in and grabbed the business card and left. To this day, I regret not picking up that card and calling the police. I wish I had known that this type of thing exists right in our own neighborhoods. Something was strange and, I think, she was trying to get help. I wish I had known and done something .