The Real Housewife of Claycord – Credit Card Fraud, a Nice Concord Cop + More

January 10, 2013 14:17 pm · 52 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

Since I’m a female, I love shopping, and since I work part-time in the mall, I shop a lot!

Shopping is a sort of a type of therapy for me. It helps me clear my mind, and it challenges me to find the best deal on things we can’t live without (you know, like shoes, dresses, make-up, etc.)

Lately, shopping in the mall has been a pain in my *%&, so I’ve started searching online for the things I need. Shopping online has its perks, but it also has it’s drawbacks, and boy did I experience a drawback earlier this week.

I purchased $75 worth of items from an online retailer over the weekend. When I checked my bank account the next day, it showed the purchase, but it also showed a purchase at a store in Chesterfield, Missouri, which is right outside of St. Louis. The charge was for $1,978.63.

I have no idea what was purchased, because I didn’t buy anything from Chesterfield, Missouri. The charge occurred almost exactly 10 minutes after I made the $75 purchase.

I’m currently working with my bank to find out what happened. The online retailer is also investigating,  and looking into the possibility that one of their employees might have used my credit card, because I had to call them and give them my credit card information since their online system was down.

The point of my story is BE CAREFUL! Never trust anybody with your information and always check your bank account statements.

Has anybody else had a problem like this? If so, what happened and what was the final outcome?

Moving on….

A few things I saw (and heard) around Claycord this week:

• Lisa’s House of Hot Dogs (and Burritos) in Concord has been closed for a while. Rumor has it that Lisa (the original owner) has purchased the restaurant back from the most recent owner and will reopen the restaurant soon.
  • I brought my kids to the Concord Community Park (known locally as Cowell Park) the other day, and on the play structure, there were broken beer bottles. I told a cop who was in the parking lot, and asked him if he could call somebody from the city to come clean it before a child was hurt, and to my surprise, he grabbed a little hand broom (one of those really small ones) and a garbage bag, and cleaned it up! There must have been six or seven broken bottles in all. It was nice to see him not just call a city crew to come do the dirty work. He was actually on his hands and knees wiping up the little tiny pieces of glass. Then, he took his bottled water and washed the play equipment off (he refilled his bottle several times). I was so grateful for his quick action to make sure everybody was safe. Thank you Mr. Policeman. I told him I was going to tell Claycord.com about him. He laughed and said “I’m just doing my job”.
  • I witnessed the tip jar theft at Starbucks this week. What a jerk, those baristas work hard for their tips!

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• Use paint brushes to dust cracks and hard to reach places in telephones, stereos, etc.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2:17pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s a Frosted Orange Pie. Here’s the recipe. I’ve never tried this one before. I play to actually make this tomorrow night, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Love you all.

The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Sunstar January 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Excuse me if I am wrong–but I was under the impression that a housewife just stayed at home.

2 the real super man January 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Maybe you should stop thinking about your self so much and shoping for your needs. Quit your job stay home and spend quality time with your kids. The mall would be a much happier place.

3 anon January 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

The story about the cop can’t be true. Officer Ron Turner retired.

4 anon666 January 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I do most of my shopping online and have had my CC number stolen several times. It’s never been something that a 10 minute call to my CC company won’t take care of. They cancel the card, reverse the charges and send me a new card.

It’s usually someone at the place that processes the cards that gets the number. When buying online, businesses don’t have access to much more than the last 4 digits of the card. There’s not much they can do with that.

Never, never, never use a debit or bank card when purchasing online. Use only credit cards and several offer secure numbers as well that expire after a certain amount of time (I know Discover does this). If you use a new number each time you can find out where the fraud happened and contact that retailer.

5 Bob H. January 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Keep up the good work.I enjoy your column!

6 Dorothy January 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I rarely shop online and when I do I use a specific card for it – then keep a careful eye on the billing when it comes.

Another paint brush tip: If you sew and use a serger, use a small artist type paint brush to clean the fuzz off and out of the serger. You can also use it to get behind the bobbin area of the sewing machine.

7 Cracky McGee January 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I agree with #4, NEVER EVER use your debit card online OR anywhere a service person walks away to process it (restaurants etc..). If your card is ever stolen it is much easier to call your CC company, report the theft & have the card cancelled & the harges reversed as opposed to going through the headache of getting money put back in your checking account.

8 Anon January 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I went to high School with Lisa…would be awesome if she came back…I rememebr when she owned it right out of school…the last Chinese guy who owned it was horrible…We had a one day BBQ @ Kelly Moore Paints for the contractors thank you and he called the health department and got it shut down…that sure made the contractors mad…they spread the word quickly…nothing like cutting your own throat…guess the competition was to much for him

Shop at Sun Valley…it’s like shopping in the ghetto…never find what you want unless you want to see someone’s undies….I’m sure there’s a tunnel there directly from the ghetto

A Concord cop was nice?….I thought these were actual stories not works of fiction. A Concord cop being nice has to be fiction…they don’t know the meaning of the word…

9 Connie Dobbs January 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

#1 California housewives can’t afford not to work.

10 kiarfy January 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The recipe sounds supurb. I was never one to just stay at home and cook–although I am an excellent cook. I definitely will have to try it-now for a guest, of course I’ll have to clean first. lol

11 sam January 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

“Across the board”, the vast majority, of the Concord Police Department is overwhelmingly comprised, with very notable officers and support personnel, @ anon, #3 – and most assuredly, yes, I wholeheartedly concur, Ron Turner was indubitably, a direct reflection, of CPD’s, high standard of professionalism.

12 sam January 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

@ the Real Housewife of Claycord, thank you for your, enlightening reporting; I too have always been of the mind set, to always “give credit, where credit is due.” .

13 Concord Nana January 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I have a seperate Debit Card just for On-Line shopping and only transfer the amount needed to make that purchase. If they try to remove more monies then te fraud unit from my bank gives me a call. I have had this issue several times, I don’t really worry to much because they can’t touch my other accounts only the internet card. I was actually informed by my bank to get this seperate card.

14 Closer January 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It perturbs me that you would attempt to call someone to clean up something, specifically in an area where your children were playing. Actually, attempt to have someone else call for you, not even make the call yourself? It was just as much the city crew or police officers mess as your own. Why didn’t you attempt to clean it up? You must have felt absolutely worthless just staring at him, making remarks of how nice it was seeing him clean it up instead of calling a city crew, seeing him refill a water bottle to wash away debris and counting how many beer bottles there were. Great initiative you showed those kids at the park (insert sarcastic tone of voice here). Next time someone complains there aren’t enough cops around or they tale too long to respond to a call, remind yourself of this and what citizens are having police officers do. You, housewife, seem absolutely worthless.

15 SAR January 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

@ the real super man
I realize your being somewhat sensored with some your comments, but I expected a little more effort (B minus)… better luck next week. Remember, some of us look forward to your sarcasm on this column each week.

16 Keea13 January 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Thanks Real Housewife! Enjoy your colum!!!
I agree with annon666 and Cracky McGee, Never use Debit Cards linked to your bank account. Your mortage can bounce when a theif gets the # and that would be a big mess! Have all ATM Debit cards logos taken off to just make ATM card. I only use credit cards online and have never had a problem with an easy return of my credit when fraud does occur. Heck… I can even dispute a charge easily online and no need to call the CC company!

17 ctown January 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Shopping online can be addictive. With places like Amazon, a couple of clicks and its on the way. I shop online all the time, just keep a close eye on your accounts. I had one incident a few months ago. my credit union called me and told me that they put a stop on my card. I had a charge from a gas station in Illinois. After a quick phone call and 7-10 business days later, i had a new card and money back in my account.

18 RancherAtHeart January 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Wooohooo…go Concord PD!! That is a great story! And for the record, I love your column…don’t let the haters bug you, they have nothing better to do with their life than be rude! Get a life people…if you don’t like her column, don’t read it.

19 Screwy Louie January 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Like Dorothy @6
I use a seperate credit card for online only (with a $500 limit).
Easy to track & cuts down on potential problems.

20 chris January 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

On the subject of shopping— I shop on line for just about everything except groceries. Never had a problem that wasn’t solved by one phone call or e-mail.

21 Anon January 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

“Closer”

French for “I have a pickle in my ass.”

Ps do you think the officer wouldn’t have left if a call came in on the radio. You know radio, that thing attached to his shoulder that voices come out of. “Sorry dispatch I can’t go to the triple homicide/arson/raging gun battle I’m cleaning up some glass”

22 Tax Payer January 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Who was the on line merchant?

23 ptpauly January 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

one word for online shopping Amazon.
Or a prepaid credit card, check with a local credit union, usually no fee.

24 Cowellian January 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I’ve never had a problem getting a refund from BofA with my debit card.

25 ConcordMike January 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Every Concord peace officer I have come across have been nice and very helpful.
I have a spending limit on my accounts which alert me if a charge over a certain amount coms through, and also if a charge out of my area occurs.
It’s happened twice and I have been reimbursed both times.
We all need to kick in and help clean up our parks and neighborhoods. Lady who flagged down the cop about the broken bottle should’ve cleaned it up herself. The five to ten minutes the cop spent cleaning up this mess could have been better spent deterring crimes elsewhere.

26 lg January 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I agree with RancherAtHeart. Why are some of you so mean? Don`t read it if you don`t like it. Pretty simple!!!!

27 Palermo January 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I have never used my debit card for anything but taking money out of the ATM although I do online shopping all the time with a credit card.

That pie looks delicious! I would make one but I could just skip eating it and apply it directly to my hips.

28 Menegene January 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Did you receive your actual $75 of merchandise?

29 McFly January 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Small world. I just returned home to Claycord this evening after a business trip to Jefferson City, MO. I spent last night with friends that live in Chesterfield, MO. Been there a handful of times- very nice community; similar to Clayton in many ways. Sorry about the credit card hassles.

30 Jeff January 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

It is likely an employee – simply based on the “our system is down so i have to do it manually” statement.

You know what ticks me off? All the comments about the banks reimbursing – when people should be commenting about catching the guy responsible.

31 Always Right January 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Nice gesture by the Police Officer, and probably saved the city a few dollars since they didn’t have to send out a crew to attend to it.

Let’s also note that on average each police officer on duty costs the city about $100 an hour with wages and benefits. Citizens need to be aware of the expense and make sure Police services are put to their highest and best use (Cleaning up the streets figuratively, not literally).

32 Mo Mo January 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The Real Superman is back! He is always right. If you could afford to lose 1,978.00 to fraud on your card, and are just waiting to see if you get it back or not, its no big loss. Apparently you don’t Need to work part time. You sound like the housewifes I invited to my weekly play group at my house, providing loads of fun activities and teaching them all to give to charities also, these families all had much to give, and the mothers besides myself were too bored to be housewives and play and teach their kids. Everyday, I received a morning phone call from most of the moms trying to find a way to entertain themselves, or buy themselves something, instead of taking care of their home, and then doing great things with and for their children.

In taking my child to every park in the county, every mother has a prepared bag, that would stop and clean up the mess at the park themselves, without asking someone else to do it.

You also have time to shop a lot. There are a million missed opportunities you have lost, and are losing, by meeting your needs first. You had your needs met as a child. Its your family’s turn to have their needs met first.

33 paranoid pablito January 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Just tossing a bit of logic toward those who say “if you don’t like it, don’t read it.” How the hell do you know you don’t like it if you don’t read it? Come on people..this is freshman year stuff here.

34 claycordiette January 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I read it and I liked it! Some people take things too seriously. Enjoy the spirit of it.

35 kiarfy January 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

@Closer
It seems that some housewives are very good. Have to love the community pies.

36 Bad Housewife January 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM

It is very wrong to ask anyone else to clean a mess that you see-or even call for help. An officer of the law would do this if someone asked because they are concerned for the populous as is their job. If he was called away, he would definitely have left that mess right there and carried out his job. In Oakland or Richmond and other designated “war-zone” areas, you may never see them just standing around because there are hundreds of calls a day. Take the initiative and just do something for yourself instead of spreading it around.

37 Anon777 January 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Thank you Connie Dobbs!

Anon poster #21 re: Closer – LMAO!

Paranoid Pablito: People are speaking of the trolls who only come here to heckle the Housewife. Go read something else Trolls!

Jeff: Yes! Too bad the banks and big bank corps won’t spend more on trying to catch and prosecute the criminals instead of finding more ways for us (the consumers) to pay for this.

38 Awesome Single Mom January 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

@Mo Mo #32: Completely agree. There would also be the time spent “writing a column”. No time for family then. This column is a tribute to narcissism.

39 Acc January 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM

@closer. Anyone ever tell you “u run into an ***hole in the morning, you’ve run into an ***hole. Run into ***holes all day, you’re the ***hole.” You’re the *sshole today.

40 Mr John January 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Although not said the best way, an underlying point by closer was accurate: If you see a problem in our community that you can fix, give up a little time to do it. Set a good example and others may follow. I have picked up a heck of a lot of trash and dog droppings at a few parks in Concord while walking my dog. If we all did a few small things to help out we’d live in a much nicer world. You don’t have to wait to have servants do everything for you… the public servants are already stretched thin.

41 Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll January 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

First off, I think I come here every week for The Real Superman. To see what he says or if it actually gets posted…I also usually come to see this column crash and burn.

HOWEVER,

to the other “mommys” who are saying that she should do less shopping and spend more life with her kids, you can’t presume that because she does shop for herself or at all that the quality of time spent with her family is less than adequate. These comments are a tribute to ignorance.

I’d imagine #32 & #38 are boring and their husbands are even more bored with their “Love my life as mommy and wife” attitudes in their frumpy “gym” clothes. Although he may act otherwise ladies, the hard truth is is that you’re in denial about his happiness and he fantasizes about having an affair, unless he already has or is.

42 Awesome Single Mom January 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

#41: Spoken like a true “other woman”. Who shops. A lot.

43 DoReMi January 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@ #41.

See you when you are over the hill, on prozac and scheming to get a good man.

There is an art to staying strong as a married man/woman. It requires dedication, creativity, compassion and a backbone to do the right thing. That is what vows are for.

44 DoReMi January 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Connie: Yes CA women cannot afford to stay home with their kids.

I spent the majority of my working life listening to the woes of working moms. Sad and frustrating to say the least. This is just one more reason I went conservative when it comes to child rearing. You have to cut back on keeping up with the Joneses to a rigor that is unknown to CA’ers. It seems impossible and maybe…MAYBE it is. It would be spartan for sure.

In retrospect, look at those kids in the alternative schools and see your kids future. this subject bears consideration and maybe would be a topic unto itself.

45 kiarfy January 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Right on, DoreMi!

46 O January 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Live life and be happy. Who says you cant shop when your a mother? Was there something I missed when I gave birth?
For all you know shes buying something for her children, buying my child things makes me happy just as buying things for myself.

47 Mimi (original) January 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Oh! I feel for you re: the credit card fraud. Twice in the last 6 months I got that hit! Once was on a shared card with my mother: I received a letter alerting me to “unusual activity” and when I called the CC company I learned that someone had charged $758 worth of stuff at a Target in Bakersfield! I have only been to Bakersfield twice and never to shop!! The second one was just a month ago; I ordered a Dominos Pizza for delivery. The delivery guy shows up, rubs my CC under the receipt with a pencil (instant number transfer!) and the next day my on-line alert lets me know that I’ve “spent” more in one transaction than my alert level. My son-in-law researchs the Purveyor and discovers it’s an on-line interactive game site!! The bank reversed the charges, closed the debit card and I went on my merry way! Freaked me out though!

48 Anon January 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I think most of these haters have the same thought going through their mind “Mayor didn’t ask me to write no column.”

49 Fellow Claycord Mom January 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I love your article, it add’s something different, fun, informational to Claycord.com.

50 @42 & 43 January 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I don’t. shop. a lot.

I don’t need to be on prozac and “scheme” to get a good man when I’ve had the same good man for a decade and still have a few waiting in line.

I don’t make a man the core of my universe as you likely do @DoRemi…you’re idle insecurities are undeniably obvious by going off the course of my original comment. Something I said must have hit a nerve….sorry :”(

51 Mom! January 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would not be prepared to clean up broken glass on a trip to the park with my kids – I don’t keep a broom in my park bag, plus I wouldn’t be keeping a good eye on my kids if I tried. I do not think it is inappropriate to call for someone to clean it up.

With the exception of one time, I have always encountered very nice, helpful and professional behavior from the Concord PD.

I was a single mother for nearly 10 years and was able to live on one income just fine. I didn’t drive a Lexus, I didn’t have the latest electronic toys and I didn’t go to Hawaii every year. I think sometimes we work to support our consumer-driven tendencies. Now that I am married again, I am a stay at home mom. We do fine on one income with the same sensible spending practices. It can be done!

52 Shiloh January 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I agree with everything Mom! (Above) said. Did you guys want her to clean up broken glass with her bare hands?!